The World's Least Read Book - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is a leading online debate website and is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

The World's Least Read Book
in Religion

By SwolliwSwolliw 165 Pts
Christians tend to be proud to claim that the Bible is the "best-selling book of all time", Presumably because the insinuation is that so many copies have been sold.

One overwhelming and compelling argument against such a hollow claim is that a very high percentage of Bibles are given out, for example by missionaries and many recipients would not even read it and rather use it as a door-stop.

And, think of how many hundreds of thousands of copies of the Bible sit in hotel room drawers; their only use being to stop the uneven table leg from causing your Dom Perignon to topple. Most uneven tables only require the said book of wisdom to be opened at say, Revelations 4:7. In such a case, the hotel guest would want to refrain from reading the passage for fear of one's mouth spontaneously spraying the champagne at the wall due to a spontaneous outburst of laughter.

Then, Of course, think of even more hundreds of thousands of Bibles stored in classroom cupboards, A bit worse for wear owing to many years of Bible fights by students.

Therefore, the Bible must be one of the least read, least popular books in the world. The number of people who want and own a bible is far fewer than the number of Bibles. There is a ridiculous surplus of these books in the world.

How many other books ever published have such a low reader to ownership ratio?

P.S. I found a Bible in my hotel room recently. I phoned down to the reception to let them know that there was still some rubbish left in my room.
PlaffelvohfenAlofRI

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 829 Pts
    When Mr. Trump got Biblical some days ago, someone asked if that was HIS Bible. He said, "It's a Bible" (He knew 'cause it said so on the cover. ;-).

I'd rather have the trees back that have been felled to make the books, it would likely be enough to replenish those that have been cut from the Brazilian rain forest and thus SAVE more people than have died over it, which is hundreds of thousands to millions. A very deadly work of fiction to my mind.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 165 Pts
    @AlofRI
    "I'd rather have the trees back that have been felled to make the books, it would likely be enough to replenish those that have been cut from the Brazilian rain forest and thus SAVE more people than have died over it, which is hundreds of thousands to millions. A very deadly work of fiction to my mind."

My sentiments exactly.
    I have an idea though that may be useful.
    Instead of getting a Bible and burning it (which would cause more damage to the atmosphere) just download it from Amazon, highlight the entire contents, then whack the "delete" key with as much gusto as you possibly can.
    AlofRI
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3408 Pts
    edited July 29
    I honestly think that this is about the worst argument I have ever seen on this website. "A lot of free Bibles lay around, hence the Bible is one of the least read books in the world" - really?

Type in "Bible" on Amazon. See hundreds available versions with hundreds reviews. You will not find any other book on Amazon that has been purchased and, I presume, read by such enormous numbers of people.

I do not like the Bible; I think that it is a a weak fantasy book, and a mediocre philosophy book. But the logic in the Bible is much more sound than the logic in your post, sorry to say.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 829 Pts
    I agree with much of what you say, @MayCaesar. The key, as I see it, is that there ARE so many "versions" of what is accepted by many as "Gods Word". 
    HOW can there be multiple "versions" of the word of a "god"!? IT either said it, or IT didn't. Which "version" IS the word of a god??

As Thomas Edison said: "All Bibles are man-made."  Man interprets, then prints. After 2000 years, we have NO idea what the original "word" is alleged to be. Emperor Constantine cobbled together a book, of several ancient languages, interpreted them, decided what the interpretations ACTUALLY meant, and came up with this "Little Library" (which is what the word "Bible" means). NO ONE actually knows what some "god" said, even the one called Jesus. It's a compilation of myths, the campfire stories of goat herders and camel jockeys on chiseled tablets and Papyra leaves (or what was left of them after a few centuries), and, of course, the interpretation of what was left.

Hey, if an old guy shows up with enough of an aura to make me believe I'm talking to "GOD", I'll be happy to listen. Still, from what I've SEEN in over 80 years, I can't see me not chastising HIM over some of HIS policies! THEY SUCK! 

If I deserve punishment after that, so be it.  >:)
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @AlofRI

You must really be upset at all the trees which must have been felled to produce the tens of thousands of pages in the US tax code.
  • K_MichaelK_Michael 109 Pts
    @Swolliw
    I happen to own the least-read book in the world. I wrote it, and I have only skimmed it, no one else has ever seen it. There's at least one person who's read the Bible for every language it's been translated into, so at least hundreds have read the entire thing.
    "We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." 
  • SwolliwSwolliw 165 Pts
    @MayCaesar
    "But the logic in the Bible is much more sound than the logic in your post, sorry to say."

There is no need to be sorry since your assumption is completely wrong and absurd to say the least.
    There is very little logic in the Bible; in fact, the very first paragraph is highly speculative and completely lacking in reason. It gets worse from there.....would you like me to recite the soundness and logic of Sodom and Gomorrah, and the Ark?

A translation of the New Testament into Coptic has never sold more than 2 copies in any year since 1791.
    Over 100 million Bibles are sold or given away for free every year in the world, 80% of those by Gideons International. And, how many of those do you suppose ever leave the bedside table drawer?
    Approximately 30% of Protestants in the USA claim to regularly read the Bible.

I thoroughly researched the facts before making the thread and the content is fully accurate.

Oh, except for the P.S....I made that up.
    I dropped it in the dumpster after checking out.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3408 Pts
    @Swolliw

There is not much logic in the Bible, but even less so in your argument. Your claim that the Bible is one of the world's least read books is blatantly false on many levels, and it does not follow from your reasoning. Something your reasoning, if factually correct, would suggest is that the Bible is a book with a relatively low ownership ratio, meaning that the number of people regularly reading the book divided by the number of people owning the book is lower than for most other books. But I fail to see what implications it would have on anything.

There are countless books that I have purchased, read and lost throughout the years. And right now all books I own are stored in my Kindle; I have read, probably, hundreds physical books over the course of my life, and I own none of them any more. What does it mean? Nothing of importance.

I do not know how many of the 100 million Bibles sold or given away yearly end up being owned by someone and, incidentally, read by them. Nor do I care. You are the one who keeps making these far-fetched claims, so it is up to you to do research and come up with reasonable estimates. I would guess, off the top of my head, that about 10-15% of them do, but I might be wrong. It could be 1%. Or 99%. I do not know, hence why I do not make big claims on the subject.

I am also not interested in the contents of your dumpster. I can only say that if you cannot let a book lay around and feel the need to throw it out, then you must have some issues. It is just a book, buddy. It will not jump at you at night and slice your throat. ;)
  • @MayCaesar
    A point I think it's worth making on behalf of @Swolliw is that although the Bible is one of the most read books in the world, the amount of Bibles purchased each year is completely disproportionate to the number of times it is read each year. If as you estimated, only 10% of Bibles sold are read each year, that would mean that 90 million Bibles per year go unread. In other words, only one-tenth of purchased Bibles each year are read, or one in 10 Bibles. 

As for your point about what significance this would have, when I buy a book, I have carefully considered whether I want to buy it, I have read reviews online, and I have considered what relevance it has to my life. For 90% of Bible-buyers, this is not the case. They simply buy it for no good reason. They store it away, only for it to be given away or sold in many years. Doesn't this show that the Bible is one of the least read books in the world (when compared to the number sold)?
  • SwolliwSwolliw 165 Pts
    @MayCaesar
    (I do not know how many of the 100 million Bibles sold or given away yearly end up being owned by someone and, incidentally, read by them. Nor do I care. You are the one who keeps making these far-fetched claims, so it is up to you to do research and come up with reasonable estimates. I would guess, off the top of my head, that about 10-15% of them do, but I might be wrong. It could be 1%. Or 99%. I do not know, hence why I do not make big claims on the subject.)

Thanks for summing up the situation there.
    In the italicised text, you explain that you don't know what you are talking about, have not researched your post and made an unjustified claim ("I honestly think that this is about the worst argument I have ever seen on this website") and go on to say that you don't care.
    The bold text is a completely incorrect statement. I made not one far-fetched claim. I did do research and quoted reasonable estimates. I did not "guess off the top of my head" as you admitted to.

Next time, you may want to sharpen your pencil......quite considerably, instead of making very sloppy, incorrect replies.

You haven't been reading "that book" have you? It will do your noggin in you know.