I Was Just Wondering....... - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is a leading online debate website and is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

I Was Just Wondering.......
in Religion

By SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
.......has anybody ever come across a signed copy of the Bible?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• I, for one, certainly haven't. Although that could be because I tend to avoid Bibles at all costs...  ;)
    Plaffelvohfen
  • RS_masterRS_master 154 Pts
    Neither have I...
    xlJ_dolphin_473Plaffelvohfen
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473
    "I, for one, certainly haven't. Although that could be because I tend to avoid Bibles at all costs."

That would not bode well for you since if you did get your hands on one signed by the (alleged) author, you would literally get millions for it.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

God did not sign any of the 66 books in the Bible.  The idea is silly.
  • AlofRIAlofRI 829 Pts
    I've said that for years, I'll believe when the author shows up and has a book signing. Until then, I enjoy GOOD fiction, but this isn't. One of our most famous authors put it like this: "It is full of interest, it has noble poetry in it and some clever fables, some blood-drenched history and some good morals, a wealth of obscenity and upwards of a thousand lies." He wrote good fiction. In good fiction, you don't have to lie, It's ALL fake and you know from the beginning.
    PlaffelvohfenWe_are_accountable
  • marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

God did not sign any of the 66 books in the Bible.  The idea is silly.
    This is @Swolliw's point, if God never signed any of the 66 books in the Bible, how do we know it was written by God? Oh yeah, it wasn't written by God, it was written by those disciples! If the books of the Bible were written by Leviticus, Exodus, Adams, Luke and so on, then how come they are the word of God? Did God proofread them?  ;)
  • I used to but while confined I ran out of bathroom tissue and it was the next best thing... And by the way, the name "God" is actually a typo, the author's actual name is Bob... 
    xlJ_dolphin_473
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3408 Pts
    I have never understood signed books. A signature does not add anything to a book. Those people who have read some book and lined up to have it signed by the author on some event partake in some strange superstition which is beyond my comprehension.
  • I have an original signed copy of the bible, but you can't see it or else it will turn to dust so you will just have to believe me.  ;) 
    SwolliwxlJ_dolphin_473
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @MayCaesar

Have you ever read this bigoted racist book of fiction science?

“The Origin of Species by means of Natural Selection or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life”.
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @marke

Have you ever read this bigoted racist book of fiction science?

Leave the Bible out of this 
    Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfenxlJ_dolphin_473
  • @Swolliw

Can you imagine a book such as the Bible being written by desert farmers thousands of years ago, and STILL relevant today?

Can you imagine a book being written by man, thousands of years ago having that type of intellect, that has yet to be disproven today?

Imagine men living back then, lacking in any knowledge of the universe, but not once making statements that could easily be refuted today.

Imagine all the Prophesis that had been made, and coming true! Israel getting their own homeland, during our generation, being just one example.

If the Bible were written by men, then these men were pure Genius, having the insight to our human nature that still speaks to people today.

Just imagine if such a thing is possible. I say it is not possible. Men back then would have called the Earth flat, but nowhere in the Bible does it do so! Imagine all the myths from the past that have been disproven, but when it comes to the Bible, these supposed authors somehow steered clear of making easily disproven remarks.

Just Imagine!
    Plaffelvohfen
  • @We_are_accountable ;
    Can you imagine a book such as the Bible being written by desert farmers thousands of years ago, and STILL relevant today?
    The bible certainly was written by desert farmers and isn't relevant today.
    Can you imagine a book being written by man, thousands of years ago having that type of intellect, that has yet to be disproven today?
    LMFAO the bible is disproved from page 1.
    Imagine men living back then, lacking in any knowledge of the universe, but not once making statements that could easily be refuted today.
    Have you read the bible? The first page says plants existed before the sun did and the whole thing happened in 6 days. it's fake news!
    Imagine all the Prophesis that had been made, and coming true! Israel getting their own homeland, during our generation, being just one example.
    Imagine all the one's that didn't come true, and the example you give only because sheep like yourself made it happen. It's like promising you will eat pasta for dinner then making spaghetti.
    If the Bible were written by men, then these men were pure Genius, having the insight to our human nature that still speaks to people today.
    The bible is trash in this regard. Modern psychology blows it out of the water. It only still works on the feeble minded.
    Just imagine if such a thing is possible. I say it is not possible. Men back then would have called the Earth flat, but nowhere in the Bible does it do so! Imagine all the myths from the past that have been disproven, but when it comes to the Bible, these supposed authors somehow steered clear of making easily disproven remarks.
    The bible subtly calls the earth flat. Do you know how many flat earther's bring up scripture in their debates? Its like every other one.

The bible is full of easily disproved remarks, tall tales, blind speculation, and even outright lies. You would have to be a gullible fool to take any of this literally.
    Just Imagine!
    Just imagine a world where people don't have to rely on the bible for morality, because they are actually good people?

Just imagine a world where science informs decisions instead of some ancient meaningless texts?

Just imagine living comfortably and happily without risk of violence from indoctrinated zealots.

Just imagine a world where people are free to do as they please without being coerced by manipulative parasitic ideas.

Just imagine!
    PlaffelvohfenxlJ_dolphin_473
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• AlofRIAlofRI 829 Pts
    I disagree that the Bible was written by desert farmers or even goat herders or camel jockeys. It was ORIGINALLY written by Emperor Constantine. He cobbled together a pile of tablets, scrolls, and yes, even the stories of the farmers and goat herders, many who spoke different or even ANCIENT languages .... several hundred years AFTER the alleged "facts". Years when we had little "recording" ability and we don't know much about the intellect, spirituality or mental state of those who "made the notes". Constantine even named it with a word meaning "little library" ..... a place where many written ideas are gathered. 

Many believe that the "scribes" that created the book were, well, possessed by a guiding spirit, so to speak. I dunno ... was YOU there??  Do you know they weren't fanatics?? Do you know they did the translations accurately? The only possible answer is NO to all. Mr. Author ..... sign my book. I'll wait, but, I can't wait forever. :flushed:
    xlJ_dolphin_473
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Dee

Christians read the Bible, believed God and fought to free the slaves.  Evolutionists did not believe God, invented fake science to explain how life began on earth without God and then put blacks in cages with monkeys to showcase what they foolishly imagined was  the wisdom and truth of evolution.

Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfenindependentlyxlJ_dolphin_473AlofRI
  • @marke ;
    marke said:
    @Dee

Christians read the Bible, believed God and fought to free the slaves.  Evolutionists did not believe God, invented fake science to explain how life began on earth without God and then put blacks in cages with monkeys to showcase what they foolishly imagined was  the wisdom and truth of evolution.

Dude, the bible is pro-slavery. One of the main arguments by slave holders to keep their slaves was that it was morally justified by the bible.

Ephesians 6:5-8 Paul states, “Slaves, be obedient to your human masters with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ”

1 Peter 2:18 Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

https://time.com/5171819/christianity-slavery-book-excerpt/

Not only did Christians not free the slaves, but in fact the very concept of racial slavery was a religious idea, because European slave owners were not to keen on holding slaves of the same religion. They created the race loophole because the bible justifies slavery of groups other than your own.
    PlaffelvohfenDeeAlofRISand

• markemarke 334 Pts
    @Happy_Killbot

If you mistakenly think Christian conservatives did not advocate and fight to free the slaves before, during and after the Civil War then you have been deluded by lies filled with historic inaccuracies.

AlofRIxlJ_dolphin_473
  • @marke ;
    marke said:
    @Happy_Killbot

If you mistakenly think Christian conservatives did not advocate and fight to free the slaves before, during and after the Civil War then you have been deluded by lies filled with historic inaccuracies.

Slavery was popular throughout Europe for a long time before the civil war, and even before conservatism was a thing. Also, conservatism wasn't associated with Christianity the way it now is at the time of its inception and popularization.

The fact remains that if someone is a true by the bible Christian they will not be opposed to slavery because the bible isn't.

If you think slavery is wrong, you are not a by the bible Christian. Plain and simple as that.
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRI

• DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @marke

Christians read the Bible, believed God and fought to free the slaves

Right , so plantation owners and slavers who used the Bible to justify slavery were actually trying to free them .....ooooooookayyyyyy

Evolutionists did not believe God, invented fake science to explain how life began on earth without God and then put blacks in cages with monkeys to showcase what they foolishly imagined was  the wisdom and truth of evolution.

You do know you sound totally insane , is this hereditary or the result of indoctrination?

Slavery as approved by the Bible , Jesus also totally supported slavery and also abortion , it’s gotta hurt buddy ......

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)
    AlofRI
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Dee

Democrats in America owned slaves.  They passed laws to protect ownership of slaves.  They resisted efforts by opposing politicians (not democrats) to end slavery.  They went to war against America to protect slavery from being outlawed by Americans against slavery.  And when the democrats lost the Civil War (every southern Confederate general was a democrat) they invented the KKK to resist efforts by Christians and republicans to help integrate blacks into society.

What did Christians against slavery do before the war to end slavery?  They built and operated the Underground Railroad and incriminated themselves by disobeying existing American laws protecting slavery.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @marke
    "God did not sign any of the 66 books in the Bible.  The idea is silly."

Exactly; which is the gist of the thread.
    There is no God.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @Plaffelvohfen
    "I used to but while confined I ran out of bathroom tissue and it was the next best thing..."

From skid marks to ink stains.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
  • markemarke 334 Pts
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

God inspired writers to write the Bible.  Only those who do not understand God would ever think God had to write the Bible with His own hand and sign it.
  • marke said:
    @Swolliw

God inspired writers to write the Bible.  Only those who do not understand God would ever think God had to write the Bible with His own hand and sign it.
    @marke
    So humans believing in God inspired them to write a book about Him? Ah... we're getting somewhere! Why did the humans believe in God? Did another human tell them? And if God told them directly, how come believers today did not have the same experience?
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

There are two unprovable opinions related to God.  One believes God is real.  The other believes God is not real.  Of course those who believe God is not real will come up with all sorts of silly suggestions to support their view, but their view remains an opinion, not a scientifically verified fact.

Those who believe God is real usually do not have a problem believing the Bible was written under inspiration from God as a communication from God to people on earth.
    Sand
  • @marke
    There is actual scientific proof that God does not exist, because God violates the laws of physics. Neither matter nor energy can be created or destroyed, but the Bible says this...
    "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."
    God cannot have 'created' the heaven and the earth, because no matter nor energy can be created nor destroyed.
  • SandSand 213 Pts
    edited August 1

Nevertheless, energy/power is related to mass.
    God could have used energy/power to create mass.
    The opposite way that mass can be used to create energy/power.

Isaiah 40:26 - "Lift up your eyes on high And see who has created these stars, The One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; Because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, Not one of them is missing."

xlJ_dolphin_473
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

God does not violate the laws of physics.  What a strange thing to say.
  • marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

God does not violate the laws of physics.  What a strange thing to say.
    I proved already that God cannot exist because his existence would violate the laws of physics, due to the fact that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, and yet an omnipotent being would have to be able to do that, otherwise they would not be omnipotent.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @marke
    "God inspired writers to write the Bible.  Only those who do not understand God would ever think God had to write the Bible with His own hand and sign it."

Once again, that was the gist of the thread. It is Christians who make the claim (not me) that God wrote the Bible, as in "the word of God". Now, you may try to wriggle out of the fact by saying "God inspired writers" but the fact is; one more time.... Christians say that the Bible is the word of God.....and one is entitled to read that at face value....."God wrote the Bible".
    I cannot help thinking that you have a habit of tripping yourself up.
  • SandSand 213 Pts

God did not write the Bible.
    Men wrote their experiences related to events that they attribute to God.

Historians confirm the events.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @Sand
    "Men wrote their experiences related to events that they attribute to God.
    Historians confirm the events."

And so far, no Historian has come even remotely close to confirming any event attributed to God.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

Science may prove that matter can neither be created nor destroyed but how would that prove the invisible God could not exist if He was never created nor destroyed?
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

If people agree with the fact that God inspired the writing of the Bible but disagree with the statement that God wrote the Bible then they can ask Christians if they think there is something wrong with one statement and not the other.
  • SandSand 213 Pts

Nevertheless, historians verify the events happened at the dates the Bible documents.
    So maybe you can give an explaination of what really happened opposed to the eyewitnesses of the event.
  • marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

Science may prove that matter can neither be created nor destroyed but how would that prove the invisible God could not exist if He was never created nor destroyed?
    Well then how come does he exist?
    Also, the Bible says he created matter.