Christian Education - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is a leading online debate website and is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.


The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Christian Education
in Religion

By SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
Teacher: Now boys and girls; today I am going to read to you a beautiful story from the Bible. And we all know what a wonderful book the Bible is, don't we boys and girls?
In fact, the Bible is the only book that we ever need to read. Right now; are we ready? Genesis 19: The two angles arrived.........
marke



Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +



Arguments

  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

    Across the country Christian school students score better than the national average on standardized tests.  Christian school children receive quality educations.  The problem atheists have with Christian school instruction is that it emphasizes the fact that God created all things and that the original formation of the universe and life on earth was not just some random unexplainable miraculous accident of nature with no design and no cause.
    Sand
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @marke
    "Across the country Christian school students score better than the national average on standardized tests." 

    Wrong....once again. Do you get your information from the back of a cornflakes packet?

    The truth is that many authoritative research papers have found that theists have lower IQs than atheists; one factor is the limited access to information theists are given, for example, science and many conflicting novels.


    And now, in a new paper published in Frontiers in Psychology, researchers say that diminished intelligence among people of faith could be because they largely rely on intuition.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

    I did not say Christian school students have higher IQs.  I said Christian school students typically score higher on standardized tests than do public school students.  If Christian school students have lower average IQs and still score higher on tests then that is even more evidence of the quality of Christian education.

    Yet, in following the wisdom of the ancients in our approach, the results speak for themselves. Member schools of the Association of Christian & Classical Schools (ACCS) produce students whose SAT scores are, on average, 325 points higher than public schools, 191 points higher than conventional religious schools, and 138 points higher than secular private high schools. 
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @marke
    Yet, in following the wisdom of the ancients in our approach, the results speak for themselves. Member schools of the Association of Christian & Classical Schools (ACCS) produce students whose SAT scores are, on average, 325 points higher than public schools, 191 points higher than conventional religious schools, and 138 points higher than secular private high schools. 

    The source of your "statistics" is extreme, biased and therefore, not credible.
    Is it any wonder that I smelt a dirty rat when I questioned whether you got your information from the back of a cornflakes packet?


  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    edited August 2
    @marke

    I did not say Christian school students have higher IQs.  I said Christian school students typically score higher on standardized tests than do public school students. 


    Well if you’re an example of the excellence of a Christian education I think no more on the matter needs to be said 
    xlJ_dolphin_473SkepticalOne
  • marke said:
    @Swolliw

    Across the country Christian school students score better than the national average on standardized tests.  Christian school children receive quality educations.  The problem atheists have with Christian school instruction is that it emphasizes the fact that God created all things and that the original formation of the universe and life on earth was not just some random unexplainable miraculous accident of nature with no design and no cause.
    No schools in the UK teach literal creationism. All schools are legally obliged to teach evolution.
  • marke said:
    @Swolliw

    Across the country Christian school students score better than the national average on standardized tests.  Christian school children receive quality educations.  The problem atheists have with Christian school instruction is that it emphasizes the fact that God created all things and that the original formation of the universe and life on earth was not just some random unexplainable miraculous accident of nature with no design and no cause.
    Are private schools taking the same standardized tests as public schools? I'd like to see your source on that claim.

    As for the rest, I have no problem with a private school curriculum that doesn't contradict what we actually know about the world and cosmos.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

    I don't think you can show any evidence that the source you criticize is wrong.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    American atheists and secularists are like that also.  The state of North Carolina tried to force Christian schools to comply with their enforced curricula more than 40 years ago but the Christian schools fought them on legal grounds and won.  Nevertheless, that does not mean the secularists have given up trying to force the fiction Darwinian science down our throats like they do to their poor public school students.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @SkepticalOne

    Our Christian school kids take the same standardized tests as public school students do.  Those tests are administered to large groups of private school students from across the state and are administered by state employees at a state owned or rented facility.  Our school pays the state to administer the tests.

    We do not teach sex education according to perverted SEICUS guidelines like the public schools do.  We teach creation instead of evolution.  We teach Biblical morals and standards and so forth.
  • marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    American atheists and secularists are like that also.  The state of North Carolina tried to force Christian schools to comply with their enforced curricula more than 40 years ago but the Christian schools fought them on legal grounds and won.  Nevertheless, that does not mean the secularists have given up trying to force the fiction Darwinian science down our throats like they do to their poor public school students.
    The problem with schools teaching creationism, I think, is presenting it as the truth. It's fine to teach the Story of Genesis and what-not, but don't force students to believe it. Same with evolution. My school never told us what to think. We were simply taught: these are the theories, and then we were left to make up our own minds.
    Most of us chose Darwinism, needless to say.
    We were taught about both the Big Bang and the Steady State model, were told that the Steady State model has been disproven, but we are free to believe in it nonetheless. In science, it's important not to teach what to think but how to think. Once you understand the concept of scientific inquiry, you can believe whatever you want.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    We teach our students in the Christian school to question science, not to blindly accept what others claim are scientifc facts.  For example, instead of believing that life formed on earth without God we teach our kids to question how that could possibly have happened.  How could millions of molecules suddenly just appear from nowhere and assemble themselves in just the right order in order to create the first living organism on earth?
  • @marke

    Is this a private school you personally are involved in? If you don't teach sex ed or evolution, wouldn't that hurt you on a public standardized test? 

    Something is not adding up with your story.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @SkepticalOne

    I don't believe sex education questions are on the standardized tests.
  • rosendsrosends 46 Pts
    The most common high school level standardized tests in the US are the SAT and the ACT, neither of which has questions about science-content area mastery. (The science section on the ACT is really graph/chart comprehension). The SAT II in biology might have a question about the idea of evolution, but as it is multiple choice, even someone unschooled in the subject stands a chance of getting it right. The AP in biology might have content about evolution (or a/sexual reproduction) but anyone taking that AP Bio course approved by the College Board will probably have seen evolution content. I'm not sure how one can get around that.
    marke
  • @marke

    What about evolution and everything built on it...like germ theory, etc.? That's kind of important.

    I'm guessing if it isn't being taught then students can't be doing well on tests covering it...
  • marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    We teach our students in the Christian school to question science, not to blindly accept what others claim are scientifc facts.  For example, instead of believing that life formed on earth without God we teach our kids to question how that could possibly have happened.  How could millions of molecules suddenly just appear from nowhere and assemble themselves in just the right order in order to create the first living organism on earth?
    But, then we're back to square one, teaching children what to think. My school taught us not that God created the universe, but that creationists think so. We were not taught that evolution is fact, but that most scientists accept it as fact. As soon as you start to exert any influence on education, it is no longer an unbiased education. Just teach the topics in depth proportionate to their popularity, and let the children make up their own minds.
  • marke said:
    @SkepticalOne

    I don't believe sex education questions are on the standardized tests.
    In the UK at least, there is a test about sex education.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    We do teach our kids what to think.  For example, we teach them that rebellion is wrong.  That sexual immorality is wrong.  That abortion is wrong.  That theft is wrong.  That lying is wrong.  That facts are facts and opinions are opinions and speculations are speculations and theories are theories.  And so much more.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    We teach sex education in our schools.  We teach separate groups of female and male high school  kids that sexual experimentation before marriage is a sin and can lead to horrible diseases and death.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 436 Pts
    edited August 2
    marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    We do teach our kids what to think.  For example, we teach them that rebellion is wrong.  That sexual immorality is wrong.  That abortion is wrong.  That theft is wrong.  That lying is wrong.  That facts are facts and opinions are opinions and speculations are speculations and theories are theories.  And so much more.
    @marke
    I disagree. I think we should let our kids figure it out for themselves. Rather than just saying 'theft is wrong', we should say 'here is a list of reasons why most people believe theft is wrong'. This way, we give the kids more freedom to decide what they think for themselves.
    marke said:
    That abortion is wrong.
    You are some biased authoritarian teacher if you teach that abortion is wrong... did you bother to present both sides of the argument? No, thought not. At least some kids are privileged enough to have such good teachers as I had the pleasure of being taught by...
  • marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    We teach sex education in our schools.  We teach separate groups of female and male high school  kids that sexual experimentation before marriage is a sin and can lead to horrible diseases and death.
    @marke
    I'm afraid I simply don't understand how you could marry someone without having sex with them beforehand. Sex after marriage carries just as high a risk of STDs as pre-marital sex.
    Sand
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    My wife and I had never had sex before we married.  No problem.  We have 8 living children, one deceased 9th child, and 30 grandchildren.  God's plann works just fine.  What we did not know before marriage we picked up after we were married.
  • marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    My wife and I had never had sex before we married.  No problem.  We have 8 living children, one deceased 9th child, and 30 grandchildren.  God's plann works just fine.  What we did not know before marriage we picked up after we were married.
    @marke
    Well, good for you... but most people agree that you would need to know if you had sexual chemistry with your partner before getting married. Also, you have not responded to my point about STDs.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    I suspect chemistry is fairly universal.
  • marke said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    I suspect chemistry is fairly universal.
    Yes, it is... but if a student objects, we do not force them to believe it is true. We simply provide them with further evidence.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

    We do not punish students for believing lies, but if they answer their tests wrong they get their answers marked wrong.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @marke
    What we did not know before marriage we picked up after we were married. 

    That's pretty obvious  :), you've done well.
    You're not from the Appalachians, are you?
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

    I am originally from Texas.  My wife was from Ohio.  We both come from large families of very intelligent, well-educated relatives.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Back To Top

DebateIsland.com

| The Best Online Debate Experience!
2019 DebateIsland.com, All rights reserved. DebateIsland.com | The Best Online Debate Experience! Debate topics you care about in a friendly and fun way. Come try us out now. We are totally free!

Contact us

customerservice@debateisland.com
Awesome Debates
BestDealWins.com
Terms of Service

Get In Touch