How Spiritual Are You? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is a leading online debate website and is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

How Spiritual Are You?
in Religion

By SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
Here is a very simple, easy test to determine how spiritual you are.
The question is quite quick and simple to answer, it is not a trick question and it is not about being right or wrong. 
Answer it and I shall reveal all.

Q: I buy a baseball bat and ball for $110. If the bat cost $100 more than the ball, how much did the ball cost?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• That is one expensive baseball bat, but the ball costed 5 dollars.
    Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfen
  • AlofRIAlofRI 829 Pts
    Not very. I DO like a good spirit when the sun's over the yardarm, it's so much more peaceful and relaxing than most religions. ;-)
    Plaffelvohfen
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @Monketrunk
    That is one expensive baseball bat, but the ball costed 5 dollars.

Thanks for your response.
    According to psychologists, you are probably not spiritual in any way.
    Would that be right?
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

Using imaginative quantum mechanics calculations you should be able to prove the bat in the question was  -$200 and the ball was free.
    Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfenxlJ_dolphin_473
  • @Swolliw
    Would that be right?

You are quite correct in that assumption.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @marke
    Using imaginative quantum mechanics calculations you should be able to prove the bat in the question was  -$200 and the ball was free.

No need to. I got that result by using dummkopf, deluded reasoning.
    Happy_Killbot
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @Monketrunk
    Would that be right?

You are quite correct in that assumption.

It is a test that psychologists devised some time ago and is quite often used by employers to test the faculties of logic and reasoning in prospective employees. Those who tend to use intuition and take things at face value (usually religious people) will give an answer of $10.
    It's not that one group is necessarily better than the other; it's just that spiritually inclined people will excel in creative occupations whilst the others will excel in technical fields.

So, say NASA for example, may send you into the rocket science lab. And those who answered $10 will be sent to,....errrr, the janitorial department.

• markemarke 334 Pts
    @Swolliw

Employing quantum mechanics physicists have calculated that Schrodinger's cat can be both dead and alive and in two different places at the same time.

Bizarrely behaving light particles show that the famous Schrödinger's cat thought experiment, meant to reveal the strange nature of subatomic particles, can get even weirder than physicists thought.

Not only can the quantum cat be alive and dead at the same time — but it can also be in two places at once, new research shows.

• @marke
    Yeah, haven't we known that Schrodinger's cat can be both dead and alive for decades? 
    "Don't be silly," I hear you say, "A cat can't be dead and alive at the same time." Actually, according to quantum mechanics, it can. The famous double slits experiment provides particularly elegant proof of this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @marke
    Bizarrely behaving light particles show that the famous Schrödinger's cat thought experiment, meant to reveal the strange nature of subatomic particles, can get even weirder than physicists thought.
    Not only can the quantum cat be alive and dead at the same time — but it can also be in two places at once, new research shows.

Yes, that is pretty interesting stuff alright and I confess to not reading much on it but will. I studied the concept of a monkey having randomly typed the complete works of Shakespeare which did my head in a bit.
  • @Swolliw
    The ball cost 5 dollars, because 100 dollars more than 5 dollars is 105 dollars. 5 + 105 = 110, the total cost of the bat and the ball.
    Right, now how spiritual am I?
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473
    The ball cost 5 dollars, because 100 dollars more than 5 dollars is 105 dollars. 5 + 105 = 110, the total cost of the bat and the ball.
    Right, now how spiritual am I?

Not spiritual at all...provided that you didn't take ages to work it out or you looked up the answer.

As I mentioned to Monkeyhouse....It is a test that psychologists devised some time ago and is quite often used by employers to test the faculties of logic and reasoning in prospective employees. Those who tend to use intuition and take things at face value (usually religious people) will give an answer of $10.
    It's not that one group is necessarily better than the other; it's just that spiritually inclined people will excel in creative occupations whilst the others will excel in technical fields.

So, say NASA for example, may send you into the rocket science lab. And those who answered $10 will be sent to,....errrr, the janitorial department.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 436 Pts
    edited August 5
    @Swolliw ;
    You are correct in thinking that I am not spiritual at all. My initial response was 10 dollars, but then I realised that would make the bat $110, bringing the total to $120.
    Thought process:
    "$10. Wait... no! $5!"
  • SwolliwSwolliw 164 Pts
    @xlJ_dolphin_473
    but then I realised that would make the bat $110, bringing the total to $120.
    Thought process:
    "$10. Wait... no! $5!"

Ooooh, a bit touch and go there really. I had the same result when I did it and was really....no, extremely worried, that I may be a latent theist.
    However, the next day I felt redeemed and put my vacillating answer down to the very "spiritual"  experience I had the night before.

Even Christopher Hitchens would have had a problem answering that one after consuming half a case of Peronis.
    xlJ_dolphin_473