Are You Deluded? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

Communities

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

Are You Deluded?

Debate Information

I thought it may be interesting for us all to be a bit introspective for a moment.

Many of us wonder at times if we are deluded in some way. Don't worry, it is quite normal and the fact that you think about it shows that you probably are not deluded or at least, recognise it and are truly on the mend.

But how about those who are deluded and don't know it?

Perhaps an exercise in the form of a simple question to oneself may help but first, what is delusion?

Definition of: delusion
noun
an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

Now the question is, do you have an idiosyncratic belief maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument?
ZeusAres42
Debate Details +

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

Arguments

• Er...
    no, I like to think that I am not deluded.
    “I’d be lying if I said things are going according to my plan… but beggars can’t be choosers, right?” – Madara Uchiha
  • I had a couple of psych tests that were required for certain jobs. They both came up with the same basic report. I was completely normal except for one "flaw". I reject authority. I had to agree (with the "flaw", I mean). I didn't realize it until they brought it out. Likely left over from my "loving stepfather" whom I walked away from at 17. I totally rejected his authority. That said, I clashed with my bosses often, but I was never fired and I outlasted several of them ;-). I've been retired for about 8 years now, so there are no guarantees that I am still sane, but, I haven't been locked up yet.  :D  
    Plaffelvohfen
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 1482 Pts
    edited September 15
    Well, I think there are at least two ways of looking at this: In philosphical terms and pragmatic terms. I think I get you are coming from the philisophical side. However, most people tend to think in more lucid ways and will tend to see deluded people as irrational, having some kind of mental illness etc. And thus the word "delusion" has some negative connotations and which people generally will feel somewhat insulted upon being called.

But I understand that I and no other human is perfectly rational, sane, logical, mentally healthy etc. Or to put it more simply, I and no other is infallible. 

• @AlofRI
     I reject authority. I had to agree (with the "flaw", I mean)

I bet you didn't get the job :)
     I think we all have delusions to some extent, we would go totally nuts if we couldn't "dream" a bit during the course of a day.
    What I am getting at of course is permanent delusion through idiosyncratic beliefs such as religion.
    In other words, can we cure such delusion by taking away the religion?
    AlofRI
  • @JGXdebatePRO
    no, I like to think that I am not deluded.

Yeah well, that says it all, doesn't it?
    You should have nothing to worry about though since you are an atheist.
  • @ZeusAres42
    But I understand that I and no other human is perfectly rational, sane, logical, mentally healthy etc. Or to put it more simply, I and no other is infallible. 

Good post and I agree with you there.
    When we deal with delusion in the religious context I think there is a distinction whereby the subject "suffers" from delusion. The key word in the definition is "maintained".
    ".....an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder."
    Since religion is a set of beliefs that interact with all aspects of daily living I think we have a clear case of "suffering delusion".
    The thing is, and religious people talk of this; that there are varying degrees of religiosity. Most people in fact who call themselves religious don't really believe there is a God and give their faith no more than lip service.
    It is those who really believe there is a God who are deluded...full time.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • AlofRIAlofRI 906 Pts
    edited September 16
    Swolliw said:
    @AlofRI
     I reject authority. I had to agree (with the "flaw", I mean)

I bet you didn't get the job :)
     I think we all have delusions to some extent, we would go totally nuts if we couldn't "dream" a bit during the course of a day.
    What I am getting at of course is permanent delusion through idiosyncratic beliefs such as religion.
    In other words, can we cure such delusion by taking away the religion?
    I already had the job(s) and I had one for 20 years, the other for 16 when I had to retire as company policy. I actually had three serious jobs in my lifetime, the third was for 8 years. As I said, I was never fired. One, I quit, but the owner talked me into withdrawing my resignation. I actually took one company to arbitration, won, and worked for them in a higher capacity for another 7 years. I guess it was a question of value. ;-)

I think we CAN cure some delusions by taking away religion, but, that wouldn't be a democracy, I wouldn't want to do that.
  • No, not at all, I am very firm about my beliefs either they are moral or social or even religious. I am not deluded. 
  • DeeDee 2589 Pts
    @BonitaVanhooser

If you’re religious you’re deluded sorry to break it to you but there you go 

• Whoops. I failed to notice this debate was in the religious section. Anyway, if by delued you mean the belief in something as true for which there is no evidence, no good reasoning, or pragmatism then I agree.

• @BonitaVanhooser
    No, not at all, I am very firm about my beliefs either they are moral or social or even religious. I am not deluded. 

Being firm about one's beliefs is often a red flag for detecting delusion in patients.
    Believe it or not.