Is Slavery Still Happening? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

Communities

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

Is Slavery Still Happening?

Debate Information

I thought slavery had been abolished with the Ark, yet throughout the world, it is still rife.

Why is it that some people still wake up every day knowing that they are beholden to a master?
A master who they have never actually seen.

Yet the master's slave drivers pummel their slaves into submission with fear and morbid threats and take money from them for the experience.

Why does this sort of abomination still go on?
Debate Details +

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

Arguments

• Of course slavery is still happening, and it will continue to happen... Why? Because it works and gets sh!t done...

Under certain premises, I could argue in favor of slavery or even that it is necessary... For example, we could say that using animals as labor force is a form a slavery, but that it was a good thing for humanity, we needed to domesticate animals and enslave them in order to have more time for something else... I could push further and say that without slavery, thinkers like Socrates, Pythagoras, etc, would probably not have had the leisure to think about thinking and philosophy, mathematics, science in general might well not be disciplines yet... 

Over centuries slavery has changed in form but stayed the same in essence, we enslaved animals (we still do), then humans, then only humans of certain colors, then every humans again but as "economic" slaves, a more acceptable form of slavery and it works, we're about to put a foot on Mars after all, slavery really do get sh!t done...

Next, we're about to enslave AI machines as we did cattle eons ago and when everything is automated and humans are freed of labor by personal robotic slaves, we might see a new Renaissance / Enlightenment era... If the robots don't kill us all first that is... ;) 
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • @Plaffelvohfen
    Next, we're about to enslave AI machines as we did cattle eons ago and when everything is automated and humans are freed of labor by personal robotic slaves, we might see a new Renaissance / Enlightenment era... If the robots don't kill us all first that is...  

Great post. As I recall, Isaac Asimov wrote about that in The Robots of Dawn....you know, one of those great big thick paperbacks you buy at airport bookshops when your flight has been delayed.
    I think it is inevitable that AI will take over from biological life forms. We (animals) are clumsy, uneconomical, inefficient and unreliable. Artificial limbs are far superior to what we have and AI processors are on the cusp of being far more powerful than the human brain.
    My feeling is that mankind can learn from history and instead of fighting a losing battle we can gradually integrate with those buggers. We will no doubt be able to interface human brains to AI chips thereby trading in our obsolete bodies with something much more durable.
    Trouble is, we are going to have a clash of "pure" unadulterated robots who act on reasoning and the hybrid humanoid robots who have emotions.
    Let the battle begin.
  • @Swolliw

Yet the master's slave drivers pummel their slaves into submission with fear and morbid threats and take money from them for the experience.

In history, it has been always been education that dictates slave submission.
  • Do you have any doubt about it? In the previous era, it was happening at local levels but now, it is happening at international levels where almost all of us are being treated as slaves on the name of laws, rules and security concerns. I admit probably most of them are for our own sake but it is still a type of slavery where your freedom ends.
  • DeeDee 2590 Pts
    @BonitaVanhooser

Jesus and your god approved of slavery so don’t stress it 
  • Dee said:
    @BonitaVanhooser

Really? Can I see any proof of it? Human slavery is worse than any other kind of slavery. 
  • Dee said:
    @BonitaVanhooser

By the way, if it is about Jesus or God, then atheists would be the freest people of the world. Are they? Note: I am not against Atheists. They are still better than religious extremists. 
  • DeeDee 2590 Pts
    @BonitaVanhooser

Depends on the Atheist really 
  • DeeDee 2590 Pts
    @BonitaVanhooser

Really? Can I see any proof of it?

Try the Bible 

Human slavery is worse than any other kind of slavery

Yet god and Jesus approve of such 
  • Do you have any doubt about it? In the previous era, it was happening at local levels but now, it is happening at international levels where almost all of us are being treated as slaves on the name of laws, rules and security concerns. I admit probably most of them are for our own sake but it is still a type of slavery where your freedom ends.

There is a bit of bias in an overall understanding of slavery in the last ear, there had always been a rather ethnically diverse undertaking of indentured servant, prisoner, and slave, both in American and globally in the previous era, racial diversity simply not always consistently or equal.

In basic format, there has always been a connection to law and enslavement and there will always be such a connection. The concern is how abuse over unconstitutional legislation can be used to shaped modern slavery.

Why does this sort of abomination still, go on?

The why is simple and was declared by constitutional separation in the 13th Amendment. Slavery is related to criminal conviction by principle, and until addressed directly remains the burden of all forms of governing society.

• @BonitaVanhooser
    They are still better than religious extremists. 
    All believers in God are extremists, therefore, by your measure, atheists are better than theists.
  • @John_C_87
    In history, it has been always been education that dictates slave submission.

I would go along with you on that one and, education still isn't free of influences and constraints.
    You can't ignore the fact therefore that religious education is a complete abomination.
  • @Swolliw
    In reference to extremism, there is in basic principle no such thing as an extreme religion this is the point at which understanding the separation of church and state by constitutional structure becomes relevant in a separation process of shared public beliefs, it defines a point at which a shared faith specifically becomes a forced faith.