frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Can Machines Learn actual common sense from Video using Artificial Intelligence within next 5 years?

Debate Information

I just read this fascinating research article about what's feasible via AI for machines to learn common sense just by a video sensor.  
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603803/facebooks-ai-chief-machines-could-learn-common-sense-from-video/

it is amazing to think about if within next 5 years this technology will start competing with humans for intelligence.
  1. Live Poll

do you think AI from video will actually let machines learn common sense within 5 years

4 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      50.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I believe that humans will start having real competition from this type of technology for a good number of tasks amd jobs. At this pace within 5 years it will drastically improve.
    EmeryPearson
    Live Long and Prosper
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    Yes, I think that is very conceivable in very near future.  I think in many ways it is happening already. The big question is if this type of technology will replace human jobs or augment it. 
    EmeryPearson
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5947 Pts   -  
    While it will eventually happen, and while currently the artificial intelligence field is thriving due to the improvements in capabilities of modern computers and neural network algorithms - learning common sense as defined by humans in the next 5 years by machines seems unfeasible. In a way, the better our artificial intelligence prototypes become, the more we realize just how far away from our destination we are.

I think that machines will surpass our ability intelligence-wise in the next 100 years, but I would not expect them to approach anywhere near human level of intelligence in the next couple of decades, at the very least.