frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is naming Winter storms silly?

Debate Information

I know we name hurrinanes, but is naming winter storms by weather channel is a silly practice?
https://weather.com/news/news/science-behind-naming-winter-storms-weather-channel-20140121
  1. Live Poll

?

5 votes
    1. Yes
      40.00%
    2. No
      60.00%
It's kind of fun to do the impossible
- Walt Disney

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    I think it's silly to name winter storms. That is just a marketing gimmick by the weather channel and has no practical use.  I think that's fine for hurricanes to be named though, but as World is becoming more global maybe diversify names pool too.
    - Walt Disney
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    I think it's fine to name them. I see no harm if it makes people and the weather channel happy.
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    There is a booming business model for naming things most people didn't expect.  There is even a business for naming stars or land on a moon, with a certificate of ownership.  I think that's perfectly fine.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    No, it's actually informative.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @joecavalry , I am not sure how it's informative.  If a winter storm is coming, I personally don't think of it as Stella vs Alexa, Instead I want to know what it will do to my commute.  Unlike Hurricanes, winter storms are not memorable enough to actually get a name.  Its not like Sandy, Irene, Catrina...
    - Walt Disney