frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Christianity should not be called a religion if religion is defined colloquially.

Debate Information

Ill pose the following definitions for consideration. I figure a good way to start this is by agreeing to definitions. 

Religion: "A system of beliefs, specifically with a standard of moral conduct that evaluates the status of a person based on their adherence to rules, traditions, or the performance of required acts."

Christian - a person who has come to have belief in the diety of Christ, the acknowledgement that they are a sinner, that Christ died sinless, and a acknowledgement that God's gift of grace is our only option for salvation. Let's call this saving belief (SB). Salvation being something we cant earn ourselves, but can achieve. Sin and the gift of grace clearly outlined in the documents containing Jesus words on this matter which have been all binded together under the title Bible. 

Thus leading to my conclusion that Christianity can be defined as: 

A system of beliefs which outlines the conditions one must arrive to/be at/have achieved (a little not sure how I want to say this so it calls out what I outlined in Christian directly above) to aquire eternal salvation with God. One which never has a status for its followers which can be achieved through adherence to rules, traditions, or the performance of suggested acts. The only required act is repentance (acknowledgement of status as a sinner).

This provides a definition which we can compare with religion above to establish conflicts making them not synonymous. In otherwords, the show Christianity doesn't meet the definition of religion as defined above. 

Provided we first agree of course. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments