frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Can We Make This World Better Without Religion?

Debate Information

Hypotheticals are great, aren't they? And of course, that's what we are dealing with here since there will always be numbskulls and there will always be charlatans who will take advantage of them; in this case, we are talking about religion or more broadly (for the sake of argumentative smart derrieres in this forum), the belief in God.

So, how much better would our world be if we had no belief in God or religion?

Here are just a few pointers that immediately spring to mind but I'm sure there are many more that can be added.

* No more wars or terrorism: Let's face the facts; there are very few wars or terrorist acts that were not religiously motivated. It is one thing to have a squabble but when one or more of the parties in that squabble is fuelled by an infinite, intractable belief in some absurd power, catastrophic consequences are inevitable. 

* Better for the environment: More than 5 billion copies of the Bible have been printed, the Quran, 800 million copies, and the Book of Mormon,120 million. How many forests have been pulled down, how many trucks and factories have contributed to our dire environmental state? Think of what cutting out just those publications alone would benefit us. Not to mention the pollution caused by the current trend of mass burnings of such worthless books.

* A more honest society: We all tell lies to varying degrees and extents however theists have always had a reputation for telling lies in abundance. Is it any wonder since they are taught tall stories to start with through their belief and in order to maintain their belief and/or save face over their predicament are forced to lie. For example: "God spoke to me" or "it was a miracle that I jumped out of my wheelchair". Lies beget lies and we see the progression of lies by theists in the workplace, "I cannot perform that task because God told me not to".

* Less bigotry and hatred: Religious followers are indoctrinated with bigotry and hatred towards minority groups and, even if they don't necessarily march down the street shouting bigoted insults they certainly spread more than enough ill will through society because of their adherence to an institution that openly vilifies others.

* A more intelligent society: We have already discovered in this forum that theists have lower IQs than their more learned counterparts, atheists. With no more directions from religions instructing followers to shun any knowledge (e.g. science) that may conflict with their quirky belief we should see a noticeable improvement in intelligence.

* A much happier society: Imagine being constantly burdened with negative thoughts (as bizarre as they are) that everything you do and say as a theist is being watched and judged by a merciless master who will one day judge whether or not you will be saved from eternal damnation. Compare that with normal people who accept life for what it is and get on with enjoying it.

* A more sane society: We already know for a fact that those who truly believe there is a God are deluded. Yet what do religious institutions do? They take advantage of their victims by making them feel that it is ok and in fact, desirable to hear voices and have supernatural experiences. Without religion, those who do suffer from delusion would be properly helped by the appropriate professional help.

JesusistheonlyGod777

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments