Are all Orthodox Christians bigots? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Are all Orthodox Christians bigots?

Debate Information

Position: For
The following is a debate between myself and @CYDdharta . I will argue in the affirmative.

The Debate Island rules for the Lincoln-Douglas debate are as follows:

Lincoln-Douglas Debate format -
The Lincoln-Douglas Debate format consists of prescribed rounds and is one vs one (two people Debate).

Rounds:
Affirmative Constructive - The Affirmative side posts a pre-written case.
Cross Examination (Affirmative) - The Negative side asks the Affirmative questions about the Affirmative case.
Negative Constructive (and first negative Rebuttal) - The Negative side (almost always) reads a pre-written case and (almost always) moves on to address the Affirmative side's case.
Cross Examination (Negative) - The Affirmative side asks the Negative side questions.
First Affirmative Rebuttal - The Affirmative side addresses both their opponent's case and their own. This post is considered by many debaters to be the most difficult.
The Negative Rebuttal - The Negative side addresses the arguments of the previous post and summarizes the round for the voter/s.
The Second Affirmative Rebuttal - The Affirmative side addresses the arguments of the previous post and summarizes the round for the voter/s.
At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
Through a long process of evolution this life 
developed into the human race.
Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.

Debra AI Prediction

For
Predicted To Win
100%
Likely
0%
Unlikely

Details +

Debate Type: Lincoln-Douglas Debate

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Opponent:

Time Per Round: 24 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Forfeited

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Affirmative Constructive | Position: For
    Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5326 Pts   -  

Are all Orthodox Christians bigots? I would argue that in order for one to be considered an Orthodox Christian, that they must necessarily be considered a bigot as a portion of that which is required to carry that title.

Definitions:

Orthodox Christian: According to Wikipedia, an Orthodox Christian is: “the term orthodox refers to the set of doctrines which were believed by the early Christians. A series of ecumenical councils were held over a period of several centuries to try to formalize these doctrines.”

The definition I will use will be condensed to the following: An Orthodox Christian is any individual who holds the beliefs and dogmas delineated by the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Bigot: According to Merriam-Webster:  a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especiallyone who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Argument:

P1: An Orthodox Christian believes that others should be converted to their religion, is opposed to LGBTQ rights & marriage, and do not accept the beliefs of others.

P2: If one believes that others should be converted to their religion, is opposed to LGBTQ rights & marriage, and do not accept the beliefs of others, they are intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

P3: If one believes that others should be converted to their religion, is opposed to LGBTQ rights & marriage, and has championed racism they are a bigot

=>  An Orthodox Christian is a bigot.

Defense of the logic

The above is a deductive argument, meaning that if the premises are true the conclusion must be. This means that if I can show the premises true, then the conclusion must be true.

P1: This first premise can be defended in two ways. First, I must convince you that there is such a thing as an Orthodox Christian and indeed that thing is objective. Although probing minds is beyond our capability, we can demonstrate that human minds can hold values, and that the Orthodox Church has values which Humans can hold. Therefore, there must be such a thing as an Orthodox Christian. Second, I must demonstrate that Orthodox Christians hold the beliefs I have suggested they do. Keep in mind that because I define an Orthodox Christian as one who believes in the official teachings of the church, that an individual who describes themselves as an Orthodox Christian but has divergent beliefs does not meet my definition.

Here is evidence for the 3 claims:

1. Belief that others should convert to their religion: http://www.orthodoxchristian.info/pages/convert.html ;

2. Opposition to LGBTQ rights & marriage: http://assemblyofbishops.org/about/documents/2013-assembly-statement-on-marriage-and-sexuality

3. do not accept the beliefs of others: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East–West_Schism

P2: This is the meat of the argument. Are the above reasons examples of the definition of bigotry? I say yes very much so. First, the belief that others should convert and lack of acceptance is plainly intolerant of other religions, because if you tolerated other religions you would let them be. Likewise, the opposition to LGBTQ rights demonstrates a lack of acceptance for the LGBTQ community and their interests.

P3: The definition of a bigot is replaced with the term bigot. If you agree to the definition provided, no further explanation should be required.

Conclusion: The definition of an Orthodox Christian is replaced with the term Orthodox Christian. As above, if you accept this as a valid description of an orthodox Christian then no further explanation is necessary.

Summary

To summarize my argument, Orthodox Christians hold hostile attitudes towards both other religions and individuals who are not affiliated with the church. For this reason, in order for someone to claim that they are an Orthodox Christian, they must be considered a bigot. Thank you for your time and attention.

At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.