frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

What Do Atheists And Theists Share In Common?

Debate Information

Isn't it interesting that, when you think about it, theists and atheists talk the same language?
If we take a look at words commonly used by normal folk and religious followers, we can see an example of theists using a normal word for their own use:

Blood: On the face of it, blood is merely an iron-rich, oxygenated liquid that circulates through the bodies of most creatures. Christians view this mundane fluid as being very sacred and practice mock necrophilia ceremonies to idolize the existence of an alleged charlatan who claimed to be the son of God some two thousand years ago.

Spirit: Well, here's an example of normal folk hijacking a religious term. To religious followers, spirit means something that is there somewhere, yet everywhere, that errrr, controls us and ummm, made us and is like all powerful and has been there for eternity and invisible and ummm in another dimension and ......yeah, that's what a spirit is.
Yet, normal folk also have spirits that are beyond the realm of reality. 
For example, I have a spirit called Jose Cuervo.
I can tell you now that I communicate with this spirit every Friday and Saturday nights and He is real.

Soul: Now, this is a term that both religious and normal folk can agree on. That hard to describe "X-factor" quality that characterizes the essence of our unique individuality. God followers stretch the meaning a bit beyond the pale and think, for some reason such an abstract definition is something, errr tangible that ummm, lasts after we die,....somehow.
But then, us normal folk aren't that much different.
For example, I am a musician and we have soul music; many guitarists pay gazillions of dollars for old instruments that have soul built into them.

In fact, just recently I remember strutting down the street listening to some sweet soul sounds percolating through my headphones then, lo and behold, some guy somehow connects his kneecap with the corner of my Fender hard case. 
He was cool though and knew what I was all about and shouted at the top of his voice, "YOU ARE SOUL".

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments