What Do Atheists And Theists Share In Common? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is a globally leading online debate platform that is transforming the online debating experience. DebateIsland enables anyone to civilly debate online, casually or formally, with five fun debating formats: Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas. With DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use, online debate website, users can debate politics, debate science, debate technology, debate news, and just about anything else in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free while improving your debating skills with the help of Artifical Intelligence on DebateIsland.

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

What Do Atheists And Theists Share In Common?

Debate Information

Isn't it interesting that, when you think about it, theists and atheists talk the same language?
If we take a look at words commonly used by normal folk and religious followers, we can see an example of theists using a normal word for their own use:

Blood: On the face of it, blood is merely an iron-rich, oxygenated liquid that circulates through the bodies of most creatures. Christians view this mundane fluid as being very sacred and practice mock necrophilia ceremonies to idolize the existence of an alleged charlatan who claimed to be the son of God some two thousand years ago.

Spirit: Well, here's an example of normal folk hijacking a religious term. To religious followers, spirit means something that is there somewhere, yet everywhere, that errrr, controls us and ummm, made us and is like all powerful and has been there for eternity and invisible and ummm in another dimension and ......yeah, that's what a spirit is.
Yet, normal folk also have spirits that are beyond the realm of reality. 
For example, I have a spirit called Jose Cuervo.
I can tell you now that I communicate with this spirit every Friday and Saturday nights and He is real.

Soul: Now, this is a term that both religious and normal folk can agree on. That hard to describe "X-factor" quality that characterizes the essence of our unique individuality. God followers stretch the meaning a bit beyond the pale and think, for some reason such an abstract definition is something, errr tangible that ummm, lasts after we die,....somehow.
But then, us normal folk aren't that much different.
For example, I am a musician and we have soul music; many guitarists pay gazillions of dollars for old instruments that have soul built into them.

In fact, just recently I remember strutting down the street listening to some sweet soul sounds percolating through my headphones then, lo and behold, some guy somehow connects his kneecap with the corner of my Fender hard case. 
He was cool though and knew what I was all about and shouted at the top of his voice, "YOU ARE SOUL".

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Starlord616Starlord616 209 Pts   -  
    both of them are humans and both deserve respect. believing in one or the other does not make you superior. 
    JacexlJ_dolphin_473AlofRIZeusAres42Monketrunk
  • SwolliwSwolliw 712 Pts   -  
    @Starlord616
    both of them are humans and both deserve respect. believing in one or the other does not make you superior. 

I never put myself above nor below anybody and whilst I tolerate religion, I have absolutely no respect for an ill-founded set of beliefs that sets out to manipulate those who are vulnerable and weak through fear and utter lies.
    It is theists who are elitist by placing themselves above everybody else in thinking that they belong to an exclusive brotherhood that allows them to enjoy the spoils of luxury while everybody else suffers in Hell.
    Starlord616AlofRI
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1111 Pts   -  
    A propensity to agree to disagree. 

It would be nice if we didn't HAVE to disagree. If theists would keep their demands to themselves, and it IS the demands we HAVE to disagree on, we would not be so disagreeable.  :mask:
    Plaffelvohfen
    @AlofRI
    It would be nice if we didn't HAVE to disagree. If theists would keep their demands to themselves, and it IS the demands we HAVE to disagree on, we would not be so disagreeable.

It would be nicer if we don't have theists who walk around with their noses in the air continually thinking they are a cut above the rest.
    AlofRIPlaffelvohfen
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1111 Pts   -  
    Swolliw said:
    @AlofRI
    It would be nice if we didn't HAVE to disagree. If theists would keep their demands to themselves, and it IS the demands we HAVE to disagree on, we would not be so disagreeable.

It would be nicer if we don't have theists who walk around with their noses in the air continually thinking they are a cut above the rest.
    I DO agree with you, but, I also don't think atheists should walk around with the same attitude. If people wish to believe in something, I think they should have the right. It doesn't help when EITHER "walks around with their noses in the air continually thinking they are a cut above the rest." If theists would keep their beliefs to themselves and NOT look down their noses at atheists, I'd have no problem. But they CAN'T. They have to fight for their "god", no matter WHICH Abrahamic Religion they support. No matter how many die. We would be better off without them, but, some people HAVE to have a crutch .... and that "need" has made a LOT of money for SOME, "so-called" theists. (The Lord helps those that help themselves ..... to however much they can get ;-).
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  
    What Do Atheists And Theists Share In Common?

A determination, resolve, persistence, tenacity to find the truth that relates to reality.
    Despite my constant word debates with everyone.
    I do have a deep respect for all Atheists and Agnostics.
    Although we do not always see eye to eye, I know they care about the truth as much as I do.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @AlofRI
    It doesn't help when EITHER "walks around with their noses in the air continually thinking they are a cut above the rest.

That's right but I don't think that atheists, by nature, do that. For example, there are no specific atheist organisations that exist whereby members declare themselves to be elite and "pure" and destined for an eternal afterlife of luxury to the exclusion of everybody else. 
    @Sand
    Although we do not always see eye to eye, I know they care about the truth as much as I do.

It is fine of you to say that, but do you really think that religion is the pathway to truth?
    You need to consider the facts that most of the tenets of religion have been proven wrong, for example, evolution and the age of the earth.
    I seriously suggest that it is theists who should seriously take stock of themselves and take a good look at where they are going. They haven't yet found one ounce of truth and they never will by travelling down such a fool's road.
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  
    >>>>>They haven't yet found one ounce of truth and they never will by traveling down such a fool's road.<<<<<
    Every story has a foundation of truth.
    Even lies have a foundation of truth.
    Fictional books have a foundation of truth.

So the Bible has a foundation of truth.

Consider the ounce of truth located in the Bible.
    Rome came after Greece, Medo Persia, Babylon, Egypt, Assyria.
    There were people living during each of these dynasties.
    These people fought battles with these countries.
    Some battles were won, some battles were lost, with the documented reasons why.

There is a basis for truth in the Bible.
    You just disagree with the passages referencing God.

Theists and Atheists are all searching for truth we are just going about it in different ways.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 712 Pts   -   edited November 12
    @Sand
    There is a basis for truth in the Bible.

So what? There's a basis for truth in Goofy comics also. But there ain't no such thing as Goofy, he's a fictional character.
    And there is no such thing as God, he is a fictional character.
  • Swolliw said:
    @AlofRI
    It doesn't help when EITHER "walks around with their noses in the air continually thinking they are a cut above the rest.

That's right but I don't think that atheists, by nature, do that. For example, there are no specific atheist organisations that exist whereby members declare themselves to be elite and "pure" and destined for an eternal afterlife of luxury to the exclusion of everybody else. 
    The problem with the understanding is you specifically do not represent a God that is not religious and it is due to only education and learning. GOD as an axiom is fundimental truth that establishes GOD to a point where the idea of the atheist definition is not fundamentally true until its details excluding reality are given. 
    AlofRI
  • Religion often exchanges knowledge for faith, not money. There are people driven by money, money is an interchangeable receipt of fixed value so is very popular for how it covers and resolves debt. The states of union between religions and economies are different than those of people, could it be that people have become incapable of learning to identify states of basic unions and that is why they become threatened by shared faith? State of the union, the more complicated law becomes the greater the forces that concentrate people together by only faith takes place. 
  • SwolliwSwolliw 712 Pts   -   edited November 12
    @John_C_87
    GOD as an axiom is fundimental truth that establishes GOD to a point where the idea of the atheist definition is not fundamentally true until its details excluding reality are given. 

Yes, however aren't we talking here about a philosophical, conditional hypothesis?
  • Cringe_TrainCringe_Train 74 Pts   -  
    The word "theist"
    @Cringe_Train
    The word "theist"

The word itself is quite bona fide. It's just the crap that goes on behind the word that is so la-dee-da, namby pamby nonsense.
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  
    I understand your feelings.

We know Goofy is fictional because we know his creator.
    How do you know you exist?
    The best evidence of exisitance is: I think therefore I am, or conscious thought.
    Because our minds can discover eternal truths about exisitance.
    But this truth resides in a human mind that is not eternal.
    There must exist an eternal mind in which truths reside.
    This eternal mind is God.
    If God does not exist, the question become more of do you exist.
    If you think therefore you are then God is because you think.

Also God is considered by most to be the cause of the Big Bang.
    Unless you can provide an alternative cause outside of time and matter.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 712 Pts   -   edited November 13
    @Sand
    We know Goofy is fictional because we know his creator.

You see, you got off on the wrong foot straight away which clearly illustrates your sense of (non) logic.
    We know Goofy is fictional since anyone with half a brain can figure out that there is no such creature frequenting the shopping malls which has nothing to do with Walt Disney.
    And we know God is fictional since anyone with half a brain can figure out that there is no such creature frequenting the shopping malls.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  
    >>>>>We know Goofy is fictional since anyone with half a brain can figure out that there is no such creature frequenting the shopping malls which has nothing to do with Walt Disney. And we know God is fictional since anyone with half a brain can figure out that there is no such creature frequenting the shopping malls.<<<<<

I disagree.

Celebrities are featured in shopping malls all the time, that is not an indication of fiction.
    The scenes featured on Television are so realistic that a parental advisory had to be placed to explain to children the scenes are not real.
    They even did studies that showed that children would say they understood the shows were not real but did not fully comprehend the concept of fiction.
    That is why children watching cartoons would reenact the events on the screen.
    It is also the reason many children got hurt trying to fly like superman.
    Even adults have to be reined back because of Television.
    The idea that using a gun is easy, fleeing from the police is possible, robbing is viable, all have to be dispelled.

Nevertheless, the reason you believe God is fictional is that you were brought up in this era.
    Every generation believes they are smarter than the previous generation.
    Failure to value qualities of empathy hinders this era's reasonableness and greatly narrows this era's perspective.
    To you, there are very few ways to look at things.
    You are very smart and sharp intellectually, I also appreciate your earnestness in trying to get things right.
    I believe the values of this era have influenced your understanding of what is possible.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @Sand
    It is also the reason many children got hurt trying to fly like superman.

That's right. Which is the reason so many people over the centuries have been hurt; because they believe that God exists.
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  

>>>>>That's right. Which is the reason so many people over the centuries have been hurt; because they believe that God exists.<<<<<
    They believe but do not follow the teachings.
    @Sand
    They believe but do not follow the teachings.

Sure, but whether they were taught or whether they made it up themselves, the result is the same, they are going to do needless harm.
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  

That is called being human.
    @Sand
    That is called being human.

But when fueled by blind religious fervor, it's called inhuman.
  • mickygmickyg 141 Pts   -  
    THERE WERE ALWAYS DOUBTERS.
    CHRISTIANS BEGAN BOOK BURNING AT THE START RIGHT IN ACTS
    A LATER FATWA was the order to destroy all writings contrary to doctrine
    HOWEVER you forgot to purge the bible

2peter

1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
    why make this statement unless to SPIN

2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
    2:2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of

2PETER.

MORE DOUBT FROM PETEY

1JOHN
    4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
    MORE DOUBT

7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist

2john
    MORE DOUBT

DOUBTERS WERE murdered ....christian history is full of islam type responses @Sand

Plaffelvohfen
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  

That would mean that antireligious people do not kill.
    When history has shown that antireligious people kill just as equally.
    When you remove the religion.
    You have blind fervor. (I will address inhuman comment later)

By making a law that says you should not kill, does not bolster people to break that law.
    Unless religion is encouraging a person to do physical harm, it does not correlate to the actions of the person.
    (So in a sense I am agreeing with you in reference to religions that encourage harm)

Believe me, I am not trying to justify the actions of any religion, because I am anti-war.
    Nevertheless, most religions 90% of the time just supports the decisions of the Government.
    It is the Government that decides to go to war and kill, religion becomes the scape-goat.

Feel free to correct my thinking.
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  

The Bible does talk about doubters but it does not encourage killing.

Romans 12:14-21 - "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

You are right Christians killed other Christians against the Bible's laws.
    By making a law that says you should not kill, does not bolster people to break that law.
    It shows there are people who are hypocrites.

I cannot defend the Muslim line of thinking.
    306: The church Synod of Elvira banned marriages, sexual intercourse and community contacts between Christians and Jews. 3,4

337: Christian Emperor Constantius created a law which made the marriage of a Jewish man to a Christian punishable by death.

bullet    339: Converting to Judaism became a criminal offense.

bullet    343-381: The Laodicean Synod approved Cannon XXXVIII: "It is not lawful [for Christians] to receive unleavened bread from the Jews, nor to be partakers of their impiety." 5

bullet    367 - 376: St. Hilary of Poitiers referred to Jews as a perverse people who God has cursed forever. St. Ephroem refers to synagogues as brothels.

bullet    379-395: Emperor Theodosius the Great permitted the destruction of synagogues if it served a religious purpose. Christianity became the state religion of the Roman Empire at this time.

bullet    380: The bishop of Milan was responsible for the burning of a synagogue; he referred to it as "an act pleasing to God."

bullet    415: The Bishop of Alexandria, St. Cyril, expelled the Jews from that Egyptian city.

bullet    415: St. Augustine wrote "The true image of the Hebrew is Judas Iscariot, who sells the Lord for silver. The Jew can never understand the Scriptures and forever will bear the guilt for the death of Jesus."

bullet    418: St. Jerome, who created the Vulgate translation of the Bible wrote of a synagogue: "If you call it a brothel, a den of vice, the Devil's refuge, Satan's fortress, a place to deprave the soul, an abyss of every conceivable disaster or whatever you will, you are still saying less than it deserves."

bullet    489 - 519: Christian mobs destroyed the synagogues in Antioch, Daphne (near Antioch) and Ravenna.

bullet    528: Emperor Justinian (527-564) passed the Justinian Code. It prohibited Jews from building synagogues, reading the Bible in Hebrew, assemble in public, celebrate Passover before Easter, and testify against Christians in court. 3

bullet    535: The "Synod of Claremont decreed that Jews could not hold public office or have authority over Christians." 3

bullet    538: The 3rd and 4th Councils of Orleans prohibited Jews from appearing in public during the Easter season. Canon XXX decreed that "From the Thursday before Easter for four days, Jews may not appear in the company of Christians." 5 Marriages between Christians and Jews were prohibited. Christians were prohibited from converting to Judaism. 4

bullet    561: The bishop of Uzes expelled Jews from his diocese in France.
    bullet    613: Very serious persecution began in Spain. Jews were given the options of either leaving Spain or converting to Christianity. Jewish children over 6 years of age were taken from their parents and given a Christian education

bullet    692: Cannnon II of the Quinisext Council stated: "Let no one in the priestly order nor any layman eat the unleavened bread of the Jews, nor have any familiar intercourse with them, nor summon them in illness, nor receive medicines from them, nor bathe with them; but if anyone shall take in hand to do so, if he is a cleric, let him be deposed, but if a layman, let him be cut off." 5

bullet    694: The 17th Church Council of Toledo, Spain defined Jews as the serfs of the prince. This was based, in part, on the beliefs by Chrysostom, Origen, Jerome, and other Church Fathers that God punished the Jews with perpetual slavery because of their alleged responsibility for the execution of Jesus. 5

bullet    722: Leo III outlawed Judaism. Jews were baptized against their will.

bullet    855: Jews were exiled from Italy.

bullet    1050: The Synod of Narbonne prohibited Christians from living in the homes of Jews.

bullet    1078: "Pope Gregory VII decreed that Jews could not hold office or be superiors to Christians." 6

1078: The Synod of Gerona forced Jews to pay church taxes.

bullet    1096: The First Crusade was launched in this year. Although the prime goal of the crusades was to liberate Jerusalem from the Muslims, Jews were a second target. As the soldiers passed through Europe on the way to the Holy Land, large numbers of Jews were challenged: "Christ-killers, embrace the Cross or die!" 12,000 Jews in the Rhine Valley alone were killed in the first Crusade. This behavior continued for 8 additional crusades until the 9th in 1272.

bullet    1099: The Crusaders forced all of the Jews of Jerusalem into a central synagogue and set it on fire. Those who tried to escape were forced back into the burning building.

bullet    1121: Jews were exiled from Flanders (now part of present-day Belgium)

bullet    1130: Some Jews in London allegedly killed a sick man. The Jewish people in the city were required to pay 1 million marks as compensation.

bullet    1146: The Second Crusade began. A French Monk, Rudolf, called for the destruction of the Jews.

bullet    1179: Canon 24 of the Third Lateran Council stated: "Jews should be slaves to Christians and at the same time treated kindly due of humanitarian considerations." Canon 26 stated that "the testimony of Christians against Jews is to be preferred in all causes where they use their own witnesses against Christians." 7

bullet    1180: The French King of France, Philip Augustus, arbitrarily seized all Jewish property and expelled the Jews from the country. There was no legal justification for this action. They were allowed to sell all movable possessions, but their land and houses were stolen by the king.

bullet    1189: Jews were persecuted in England. The Crown claimed all Jewish possessions. Most of their houses were burned.

1205: Pope Innocent III wrote to the archbishops of Sens and Paris that "the Jews, by their own guilt, are consigned to perpetual servitude because they crucified the Lord...As slaves rejected by God, in whose death they wickedly conspire, they shall by the effect of this very action, recognize themselves as the slaves of those whom Christ's death set free..."

1215: The Fourth Lateran Council approved canon laws requiring that "Jews and Muslims shall wear a special dress." They also had to wear a badge in the form of a ring. This was to enable them to be easily distinguished from Christians. This practice later spread to other countries.

bullet    1227:  The Synod of Narbonne required Jews to wear an oval badge. This requirement was reinstalled during the 1930's by Hitler, who changed the oval badge to a Star of David.

1229: The Spanish inquisition starts. Later, in 1252, Pope Innocent IV authorizes the use of torture by the Inquisitors.

bullet    1236: Pope Gregory ordered that church leaders in England, France, Portugal and Spain confiscate Jewish books on the first Saturday of Lent. 1

bullet    1259: A "synod of the archdiocese in Mainz ordered Jews to wear yellow badges." 1

bullet    1261: Duke Henry III of Brabant, Belgium, stated in his will that "Jews...must be expelled from Brabant and totally annihilated so that not a single one remains, except those who are willing to trade, like all other tradesmen, without money-lending and usury." 2
    267: The Synod of Vienna ordered Jews to wear horned hats. Thomas Aquinas said that Jews should live in perpetual servitude.

bullet    1290: Jews are exiled from England. About 16,000 left the country.

bullet    1298: Jews were persecuted in Austria, Bavaria and Franconia. 140 Jewish communities were destroyed; more than 100,000 Jews were killed over a 6 month period.

bullet    1306: 100,000 Jews are exiled from France. They left with only the clothes on their backs, and food for only one day.
     @Sand
    the bible says god picks the rulers
    HAVE you not heard of trump supporters@Sand
    1320: 40,000 French shepherds went to Palestine on the Shepherd Crusade. On the way, 140 Jewish communities were destroyed.

1321: In Guienne, France, Jews were accused of having incited criminals to poison wells. 5,000 Jews were burned alive, at the stake.

bullet    1338: The councilors of Freiburg banned the performance of anti-Jewish scenes from the town's passion play because of the lethal bloody reactions against Jews which followed the performances. 9

bullet    1347 +: The Black Death originated in the Far East. China, Mongolia, India, central Asia, and southern Russia have all been suggested as the source. 10 Mongol invaders brought it to Caffa in the Crimea (modern-day Fedodosiya). Defenders from the city later spread the disease throughout many Mediterranean ports. 11 Rats initially carried the Black Death; their fleas spread the disease from the rats to humans. As the plague worsened, the germs spread from human to human. In five years, the death toll had reached 25 million. In England, two centuries passed before its population levels recovered from the plague. People searched for someone to blame. They noted that a smaller percentage of Jews than Christians caught the disease. This was undoubtedly due to the Jewish sanitary and dietary laws, which had been preserved from Old Testament times. Rumors circulated that Satan was protecting the Jews and that they were paying back the Devil by poisoning wells used by Christians. The solution was to torture, murder and burn the Jews. "In Bavaria...12,000 Jews...perished; in the small town of Erfurt...3,000; Rue Brul©e...2,000 Jews; near Tours, an immense trench was dug, filled with blazing wood and in a single day 160 Jews were burned." 5 In Strausberg 2,000 Jews were burned. In Maintz 6,000 were killed...; in Worms 400..." 3

bullet    1354: 12,000 Jews were executed in Toledo.

bullet    1374: An epidemic of possession broke out in the lower Rhine region of what is now Germany. People were seen "dancing, jumping and [engaging in] wild raving." This was triggered by enthusiastic revels on St. John's Day - an Christianized version of an ancient Pagan seasonal day of celebration which was still observed by the populace. The epidemic spread throughout the Rhine and in much of the Netherlands and Germany. Crowds of 500 or more dancers would be overcome together. Exorcisms were tried, but failed. Pilgrimages to the shrine of St. Vitus were tried, but this only seemed to exacerbate the problem. Finally, the rumor spread that God was angry because Christians had been excessively tolerant towards the Jews. God had cursed Europe as He did Saul when he showed mercy towards God's enemies in the Old Testament. Jews "were plundered, tortured and murdered by tens of thousands." The epidemic finally burned itself out two centuries later, in the late 16th century. 4

bullet    1391 : Jewish persecutions begin in Seville and in 70 other Jewish communities throughout Spain.

bullet    1394 : Jews were exiled, for the second time, from France.

bullet    1431 +: The Council of Basel "forbade Jews to go to universities, prohibited them from acting as agents in the conclusion of contracts between Christians, and required that they attend church sermons." 5

bullet    1434: "Jewish men in Augsburg had to sew yellow buttons to their clothes. Across Europe, Jews were forced to wear a long undergarment, an overcoat with a yellow patch, bells and tall pointed yellow hats with a large button on them." 1

bullet    1453 : The Franciscan monk, Capistrano, persuaded the King of Poland to terminate all Jewish civil rights.

bullet    1478: Spanish Jews had been heavily persecuted from the 14th century. Many had converted to Christianity. The Spanish Inquisition was set up by the Church in order to detect insincere conversions. Laws were passed that prohibited the descendants of Jews or Muslims from attending university, joining religious orders, holding public office, or entering any of a long list of professions.

bullet    1492 : Jews were given the choice of being baptized as Christians or be banished from Spain. 300,000 left Spain penniless. Many migrated to Turkey, where they found tolerance among the Muslims. Others converted to Christianity but often continued to practice Judaism in secret.

bullet    1497: Jews were banished from Portugal. 20 thousand left the country rather than be baptized as Christians.

bullet    1516: The Governor of the Republic of Venice decided that Jews would be permitted to live only in one area of the city. It was located in the South Girolamo parish and was called the "Ghetto Novo." This was the first ghetto in Europe. Hitler made use of the concept in the 1930's.@Sand
    1523: Martin Luther distributed his essay "That Jesus Was Born a Jew. " He hoped that large numbers of Jews would convert to Christianity. They didn't, and he began to write and preach hatred against them. Luther has been condemned in recent years for being extremely antisemitic. The charge has some merit; however he was probably typical of most Christians during his era.

bullet    1539: A passion play was forbidden in Rome because it prompted violent attacks against the city's Jewish residents. 9

bullet    1540: Jews were exiled from Naples.

1550: Jews were exiled from Genoa and Venice.

bullet    1555-JUL-12: A Roman Catholic Papal bull, "Cum nimis absurdum," required Jews to wear badges, and live in ghettos. They were not allowed to own property outside the ghetto. Living conditions were dreadful: over 3,000 people were forced to live in about 8 acres of land. Women had to wear a yellow veil or scarf; men had to wear a piece of yellow cloth on their hat. 8

bullet    1582: Jews were expelled from Holland.

bullet    1648-9: Chmielnicki Bogdan led an uprising against Polish rule in the Ukraine. The secondary goal of Bogdan and his followers was to exterminate all Jews in the country. The massacre began with the slaughter of about 6,000 Jews in Nemirov. Other major mass murders occurred in Tulchin, Polonnoye, Volhynia, Bar, Lvov, etc. Jewish records estimate that a total of 100,000 Jews were murdered and 300 communities destroyed.

1806: A French Jesuit Priest, Abbe Barruel, had written a treatise blaming the Masonic Order for the French Revolution. He later issued a letter alleging that Jews, not the Masons were the guilty party. This triggered a belief in an international Jewish conspiracy in Germany, Poland and some other European countries later in the 19th century

1819: During the late 18th and early 19th centuries, many European Jews lobbied their governments for emancipation. They sought citizenship as well as the same rights and treatment as were enjoyed by non-Jews. This appears to have provoked sporadic anti-semites to engage in anti-Jewish violence. The rioters cried "Hep! Hep!." The origin(s) of this cry are not clear. Jews and their property were attacked first in Wuerzburg, Germany during 1819-AUG. The rioting spread across Germany and eventually reached as far as Denmark and Poland. 1

1840: A rumor spread in Syria that some Jews were responsible for the ritual killing of a Roman Catholic monk and his servant. As a result of horrendous treatment, some local Jews confessed to a crime that they did not commit. This "Damascus Affair" spurred early Zionist writers like Hess to promote the Zionist cause. 17More details.

bullet    1846 - 1878: Pope Pius IX restored all of the previous restrictions against the Jews within the Vatican state. All Jews under Papal control were confined to Rome's ghetto - the last one in Europe until the Nazi era restored the church's practice. On 2000-SEP-3, Pope John Paul II beatified Pius IX; this is the last step before sainthood. He explained: "Beatifying a son of the church does not celebrate particular historic choices that he has made, but rather points him out for imitation and for veneration for his virtue."

bullet    1858: Edgardo Mortara was kidnapped, at the age of six, from his Jewish family by Roman Catholic officials after they found out that a maid had secretly baptized him. He was not returned to his family but was raised a Catholic. He eventually became a priest.

bullet    1873: The term "antisemitism" is first used in a pamphlet by Wilhelm Marr called "Jewry's Victory over Teutonism."

1881: Alexander II of Russia was assassinated by radicals. The Jews were blamed. About 200 individual pogroms against the Jews followed. ("Pogrom" is a Russian word meaning "devastation" or "riot." In Russia, a pogrom was typically a mob riot against Jewish individuals, shops, homes or businesses. They were often supported and even organized by the government.) Thousands of Jews became homeless and impoverished. The few who were charged with offenses generally received very light sentences. 1

bullet    1893: "...anti-Semitic parties won sixteen seats in the German Reichstag." 2

bullet    1894: Captain Alfred Dreyfus, an officer on the French general staff, was convicted of treason. The evidence against him consisted of a piece of paper from his wastebasket with another person's handwriting, and papers forged by antisemitic officers. He received a life sentence on Devil's Island, off the coast of South America. The French government was aware that a Major Esterhazy was actually guilty. 3 The church, government and army united to suppress the truth. Writer Emile Zola and politician Jean Jaur? fought for justice and human rights. After 10 years, the French government fell and Drefus was declared totally innocent. The Dreyfus Affair was world-wide news for years. It motivated Journalist Theodor Herzl to write a book in 1896: "The Jewish State: A Modern Solution to the Jewish Question." The book led to the founding of the Zionist movement which fought for a Jewish Homeland. A half century later, the state of Israel was born.

1903: At Easter, government agents organized an anti-Jewish pogrom in Kishinev, Moldova, Russia. The local newspaper published a series of inflammatory articles. A Christian child was discovered murdered and a young Christian woman at the Jewish Hospital committed suicide. Jews were blamed for the deaths. Violence ensured. The 5,000 soldiers in the town did nothing. When the smoke cleared, 49 Jews had been killed, 500 were injured; 700 homes looted and destroyed, 600 businesses and shops looted, 2,000 families left homeless. Later, it was discovered that the child had been murdered by its relatives and the suicide was unrelated to the Jews. 4

bullet    1905: The Okhrana, the Russian secret police in the reign of Czar Nicholas II, converted an earlier antisemitic novel into a document called the "Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion." 16 It was published privately in 1897. A Russian Orthodox priest, Sergius Nilus, published them publicly  in 1905. It was promoted as the record of "secret rabbinical conferences whose aim was to subjugate and exterminate the Christians." 5 The Protocols were used by the Okhrana in a propaganda campaign that was associated with massacres of the Jews. These were the Czarist Pogroms of 1905.

1915: 600,000 Jews were forcibly moved from the western borders of Russia towards the interior. About 100,000 died of exposure or starvation.

bullet    1917: "In the civil war following the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917, the reactionary White Armies made extensive use of the Protocols to incite widespread slaughters of Jews." 5  Two hundred thousand Jews were murdered in the Ukraine alone.

bullet    1920: The Protocols reach England and the United States. They are exposed as a forgery, but are widely circulated. Henry Ford sponsored a study of international activities of Jews. This led to a series of antisemitic articles in the Dearborn Independent, which were published in a book, "The International Jew." The Protocols were sold on Wal-Mart's online bookstore until they were removed on 2004-SEP-21.

bullet    1920: The defeat of Germany in World War I and the continuing economic difficulties were blamed in that country on the "Jewish influence." One antisemitic poster has been preserved from that era. 6 It shows a German, presumably Christian woman, a male Jew with distorted facial features, a coffin and the word "Deutschland" (Germany).

bullet    1920's, 1930's: Hitler had published in Mein Kampf in 1925, writing: "Today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord." The Protocols are used by the Nazis  to whip up public hatred of the Jews  in the 1930's. Widespread pogroms occur in Greece, Hungary, Mexico, Poland, Rumania, and the USSR. Radio programs by many conservative American clergy, both Roman Catholic and Protestant, frequently attacked Jews. Reverend Fr. Charles E Coughlin was one of the best known. "In the 1930's, radio audiences heard him rail against the threat of Jews to America's economy and defend Hitler's treatment of Jews as justified in the fight against communism." (12) Other conservative Christian leaders, such as Frank Norris and John Straton supported the Jews. 7
    Discrimination against Jews in North America is widespread. Many universities set limits on the maximum number of Jewish students that they would accept. Harvard accepted all students on the basis of merit until after World War I when the percentage of Jewish students approached 15%. At that time they installed an informal quota system. In 1941, Princeton had fewer than 2% Jews in their student body. Jews were routinely barred from country clubs, prestigious neighborhoods, etc. 8

@Sand
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  

Why are you quoting "The Crucifixion of the Jews" Book?

I said: "The Bible does talk about doubters but it does not encourage killing.
    It shows there are people who are hypocrites."

Then you show how Jews were persecuted?

>>>>>the bible says god picks the rulers HAVE you not heard of trump supporters<<<<<
    I would like to see that scripture.
    Can you show it to me?

Based on your posts it looks like you are only upset with Catholics.
    Because if you are against the Bible, then you are against the Hebrew scriptures also, therefore you are against the Jews.

So they can add another Bullet to their book.
    @Sand
    When history has shown that antireligious people kill just as equally.

Whatever that's supposed to mean.
    If you intended to mean that atheists have killed more people, then you are completely wrong.
    Given that we don't have figures for civil murders, let's assume a fifty/fifty split there. Let's just add a few more to the religious tally from when God randomly drops pianos on people just for the fun of it.
    Which leaves us with war, of which most are religiously motivated, by far.
    Religion, it's violent and it's evil.

• SandSand 271 Pts   -   edited November 15

Religious War is rare.
    Wiki - "Typically, war becomes intertwined with the economy and many wars are partially or entirely based on economic reasons. "

You are right in that they are religiously supported.
    But "motivated" may be pushing it.
    Maybe motivated between the Jews and Muslims.
    Motivated a long time ago between the Catholics and Protestants.

But there are too many wars that have nothing to do with Religion.
    Most wars are about Economy, Territory, Nationalism, or Civil War.
    Yes, the country has religious people involved, but the reason for the war is rarely Religion.

Wiki - "out of all 1,763 known/recorded historical conflicts, 123, or 6.98%, had religion as their primary cause"
    Got to look at both sides of the coin.

Here is your information on Atheists:

They estimate over 200 Million killed by governments under communism in the past 100 years.
    So if you eliminate Religion worldwide, you would still have Mass Murder, just no scapegoat.
    name a war not religious@Sand
    what communist countries were atheist HALFY@Sand
    I NEVER HEARD OF"The Crucifixion of the Jews" Book
    1peter
    2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
    2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

romnans
    13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

13:6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
    13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

• What do they have in common?
    Neither can establish a fundamental truth that establishes a representation of a none religious GOD.

I almost had three down.

• SandSand 271 Pts   -  

Good scriptures.
  • Sand said:

Good scriptures.
    How is a basic refusal to a none religious finding of GOD good scripture?
    yes the bible says god picks the rulers
    satalin ..mao...hitler trump;and now BIDEN@Sand
    YOUR GOD LETS 20,000 CHILDREN STARVE TO DEATH EVERY DAY
    SO IF 27 YEARS GOD HAS murdered 200 million children
    add another 27 years halfwit
    what are we up to now?
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  

Yes.
    The word is tetagmenai.
    Which means established, instituted, ordained, appointed, placed by God.

Appointing and controlling are two different things, Jesus explains in the book of Mark.
    Mark 4:24, 25 - "And He was saying to them, “Take care what you listen to. By your standard of measure it will be measured to you; and more will be given you besides. “For whoever has, to him more shall be given; and whoever does not have, even what he has shall be taken away from him.”

God places ones in power but he is not responsible for their actions.
    God gives people life he is not responsible for their decisions.
    It is not known whether they will do good or bad.
    God does not foretell the future of everyone, he waits to see what their actions will be then he repays according to their deeds.

Jeremiah 18:7-10 - "At any time I might announce that a nation or kingdom will be uprooted, torn down, and destroyed. But if that nation I warned turns from its evil, then I will relent of the disaster I had planned to bring. And if at another time I announce that I will build up and establish a nation or kingdom, and if it does evil in My sight and does not listen to My voice, then I will relent of the good I had intended for it. "

>>>>>YOUR GOD LETS 20,000 CHILDREN STARVE TO DEATH EVERY DAY<<<<<
    2 Thess 3:10 - "For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."
    It is not God's responsibility to feed the children of parents who do not work.
    It is the responsibility of the parents who had the children to provide for their household.
    The parents must work to feed their families.
    The other alternative is not to have intercourse that leads to the parents responsibility of caring for the child.

>>>>>SO IF 27 YEARS GOD HAS murdered 200 million children<<<<<
    James 1:13 - "Let no one say when passing through trial, "My temptation is from God;" for God is incapable of being tempted to do evil, and He Himself tempts no one."
    Job 34:10-12 - "Therefore listen to me, you men of understanding. It is impossible for God to do wrong, and for the Almighty to act unjustly. For he repays a person according to his deeds, and he gives him what his conduct deserves. Indeed, it is true that God does not act wickedly and the Almighty does not pervert justice."

God is not to be judged by the actions of man.
    God did not murder those children, but he will repay those whose actions led to their deaths.
    PlaffelvohfenThor
  • DeeDee 3002 Pts   -   edited November 16
    @Sand

2 Thess 3:10 - "For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."

But people from Famine ridden zones are willing to work so your point is?
    Also your god apparently knows everything yet he lets millions of children be born into famine ridden regions of the world and he lets people like Trump be born into a family of millionaires......Oh yes and Trump of course is a “true Christian “ acccordng to American nuts like you 

It is not God's responsibility to feed the children of parents who do not work.

But they want to work in these third world country , you display the horrendous American Christian attitude to those who suffer in third world countries your charge being they are to lazy to work 

It is the responsibility of the parents who had the children to provide for their household.

Read above 

The parents must work to feed their families.

Of course the famines in Ethiopia and Somalia can be bypassed only the people are too lazy to work 

The other alternative is not to have intercourse that leads to the parents responsibility of caring for the child.

Or maybe pray to god for food 

James 1:13 - "Let no one say when passing through trial, "My temptation is from God;" for God is incapable of being tempted to do evil, and He Himself tempts no one."

He asked Abraham to kill his son by running him through on an altar that’s evil enough for me , he also created evil 

Job 34:10-12 - "Therefore listen to me, you men of understanding. It is impossible for God to do wrong, and for the Almighty to act unjustly. 

Right so god asks for expectant mother’s to be ripped open and their infants dashed against rocks and that in your opinion is acting “justly” 

For he repays a person according to his deeds, and he gives him what his conduct deserves. Indeed, it is true that God does not act wickedly and the Almighty does not pervert justice."

Right , so a person like Hiltler can repent on his deathbed can be washed of sin  yet his victims can be sent the Hell for cursing god for not saving them ...... 

God is not to be judged by the actions of man.

The difference between your god and me is if I saw a woman being raped I would intervene and do my best to save her your god prefers to watch and do nothing like he watched the Holocaust and Christians think an all powerful entity watching children being gassed to death is a perfect moral source are mentally un - well

God did not murder those children, but he will repay those whose actions led to their deaths.

Sure he will , except if they repent on their death beds right?
  • SandSand 271 Pts   -  

>>>>>But people from Famine ridden zones are willing to work so your point is? Also, your god apparently knows everything yet he lets millions of children be born into famine ridden regions of the world and he lets people like Trump be born into a family of millionaires......Oh yes and Trump of course is a “true Christian “ according to American nuts like you<<<<<

First, let us look at the principles:
    Proverbs 1:5 - "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:"
    Proverbs 1:20 - "Wisdom shouts in the street, She lifts her voice in the square;"

We can accomplish nothing as long as we keep pointing the finger at whose fault it is.
    Arguing hinders teamwork.
    Now let's look at the problem. Famine ridden zone needs to feed children and children being born in famine ridden regions.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
    #1 Work smarter not harder.
    Instead of giving food to the area, materials to build greenhouses are needed.
    Working together they could save and purchase the materials needed.
    Aeroponics will feed more than spending $2 to send $1 of food to someone who will eat it and be hungry again.
    Then you need to place a policy of not selling your land to these companies who are eating your resources.

#2 Birth Control and laws are needed for Africa on contraceptives
    China has laws that slowed their population down, Africa needs to do the same.

#3 Develop the Economy
    The best thing in Africa is the number of hands. Manufacturing can be an effective tool in growing the economy.

Problems are nothing but opportunities in disguise.
    Now I know it is easy said than done. But Africa can solve this problem.
    These ideas are not as strong as I have seen some people develop ideas, let alone some of the most brilliant people.
    But this is a plan that can be implemented and developed.

>>>>>But they want to work in these third world country, you display the horrendous American Christian attitude to those who suffer in third world countries your charge being they are too lazy to work.<<<<

Not lazy, just not working smarter. I have relatives in this area, I hear the issues pretty often.
    Nevertheless, It is not the load that breaks you it is the way you carry it.
    Laziness is not the problem, thinking is.
    People who are in favored positions need to think for these people.
    Provide a fishing pole instead of giving fish.
    Teach them how to think, how to work smarter.
    Wisdom is screaming!
    There are a million ways to solve their problems easily, we just need to listen to wisdom.
    The internet has all kinds of solutions.

>>>>>Of course the famines in Ethiopia and Somalia can be bypassed only the people are too lazy to work<<<<<

I am not talking about their mind, not their heart.

>>>>>Or maybe pray to god for food<<<<<

They could, but God has already answered, he has given wisdom everywhere.

>>>>>He asked Abraham to kill his son by running him through on an altar that’s evil enough for me, he also created evil <<<<<

He did create evil. He asked Abraham to sacrifice his son, not to kill him. How Abraham choose to do it would have been hindered and it was well in advance.
    How is this different than the parents asking their sons and daughters to defend the country?
    Or parents asking their sons and daughters to work in factories, firefighters, police, pilots, doctors, nurses, etc.?
    In those professions, children have been killed for the sake of others, yet we would never blame the parents for their sacrifice.

>>>>>Right so god asks for expectant mothers to be ripped open and their infants dashed against rocks and that in your opinion is acting “justly”<<<<<

Please show the scripture where God asks for such things?

>>>>>Right, so a person like Hitler can repent on his deathbed can be washed of sin yet his victims can be sent the Hell for cursing God for not saving them ......<<<<<

Everyone goes to Sheol (Hell).
    Ecclesiastes 9:2,10 - "It is the same for all. There is one fate for the righteous and for the wicked; for the good, for the clean and for the unclean; for the man who offers a sacrifice and for the one who does not sacrifice. As the good man is, so is the sinner; as the swearer is, so is the one who is afraid to swear. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol (Hell) where you are going."

>>>>>The difference between your god and me is if I saw a woman being raped I would intervene and do my best to save her your god prefers to watch and do nothing like he watched the Holocaust and Christians think an all-powerful entity watching children being gassed to death is a perfect moral source are mentally un - well<<<<<

Sounds like you are saying you are helping the Africans with their food issue.

God is not all-powerful.
    Unless you have a scripture that says otherwise.

>>>>>Sure he will, except if they repent on their death beds right?<<<<<

I am confused, why do people have to repent on their death beds?
    Why would God accept repentance on death beds?
    What scripture are you referring to? I believe you have been influenced by Catholics too long.
    You got to follow the Bible.

• SandSand 271 Pts   -  

>>>>>name a war not religious<<<<<

Wiki - "out of all 1,763 known/recorded historical conflicts, 123, or 6.98%, had religion as their primary cause"

>>>>>what communist countries were atheist HALFY<<<<<

• DeeDee 3002 Pts   -  
    @Sand

Waste of time as usual even attempting to communicate with you , you’re to far gone into religious mania I don’t not why I even bothered now 
    doesn't the bible say to go and MULTIPLY???
    OH WAIT..you are christian and god is white
    AFRICANS are not white
    typical...@Sand
    yes god lets 20,000 children starve to death every day .
    christians claim god loves the little children
    IF YOU WERE GOD would you let 20,000 children starve to death every day?@Sand