Can Christians Please Explain? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Can Christians Please Explain?

Debate Information

1) Do you refuse to cut your hair and beard? (Leviticus 27)

2) Do you continuously pad your steak with towels whilst bashing it to buggery then cook the bejesus out of it until not one drop of juice remains? (Leviticus 26)

3) Do you always insist on buying produce from your greengrocer that was not picked from the edge of the garden? (Leviticus 19:9)

4) Do you disapprove of homosexuality? (Leviticus 18:22)

5) Do you enjoy picking cherries?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Starlord616Starlord616 368 Pts   -  
    Swolliw said:
    (Leviticus 27)
    (Leviticus 26)
    (Leviticus 19:9)
    (Leviticus 18:22)
    1. Not particularly viable today as this was just a way to identify Israelites allies from their enemies when they were at war.

2. No need to overcomplicate this. just don't have your steak rare.

3. this verse was a tradition where you wouldn't take all the food of a garden, but to leave some part to be 'gleaned and reaped' by their poorer neighbours, whether Israelites or Gentiles.

4.althogh generally considered prohibiting homosexual intercourse between men. A renewed investigation of the vocabulary used in the prohibition, taking an important cue from Gen. 49:4, points the way to a different understanding. As Reuben lay on his father’s bed, having intercourse with his father’s concubine, so the man addressed in Lev. 18:22  is prohibited to lie on the bed of a woman, having sex with her man. The laws prohibit homosexual intercourse involving a married man. so adultery, not homosexuality.

piloteer
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1209 Pts   -  
    @Starlord616
    4.althogh generally considered prohibiting homosexual intercourse between men. A renewed investigation of the vocabulary used in the prohibition, taking an important cue from Gen. 49:4, points the way to a different understanding. As Reuben lay on his father’s bed, having intercourse with his father’s concubine, so the man addressed in Lev. 18:22  is prohibited to lie on the bed of a woman, having sex with her man. The laws prohibit homosexual intercourse involving a married man. so adultery, not homosexuality.

Yet Christians often cherry-pick this quote and cherry-pick the meaning to justify their opposition to homosexuality.
    Which of course segues one to point number 5 which perhaps, you cherry-picked not to address.
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 295 Pts   -   edited April 16
    Swolliw said:
    1) Do you refuse to cut your hair and beard? (Leviticus 27)

2) Do you continuously pad your steak with towels whilst bashing it to buggery then cook the bejesus out of it until not one drop of juice remains? (Leviticus 26)

3) Do you always insist on buying produce from your greengrocer that was not picked from the edge of the garden? (Leviticus 19:9)

4) Do you disapprove of homosexuality? (Leviticus 18:22)

5) Do you enjoy picking cherries?
    1. The Jews were a people set aside for God, and they looked different with their hair and beard and the way they worshiped God from the way others without God lived.  Though we should not worship God the way the Pagans worship their gods, hair and clothing are just cultural now.  

Leviticus 19:26 Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times. 27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. 28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

2.  The Old Testament was a lot about food and drink, but the New Testament is about Heaven.  Heaven is not a matter of food and drink.  However, we are not to be perverted with how we eat.  No drinking the blood of animals, or food polluted of idols, and from animals that were strangled.  

Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

3.  That scripture is about letting the poor eat for free and easily get the food.

4.  The New Testament did not do away with forbidding homosexuality.  A man's body is for a woman's, and a woman's body is for a man's.  The two genders are made for each other to become one.

Matthew 19:5 and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'?

Oh how I love the Word of God!
  • Keal192NXQ2Keal192NXQ2 246 Pts   -  
    @TrueLove

The New Testament did not do away with forbidding homosexuality.  A man's body is for a woman's, and a woman's body is for a man's. The two genders are made for each other to become one.

Humans know much more and can do much more than what they're made to be. There is a difference between gender and sex. There are more than two genders. There are only two sex. The two sex are made for each other, but not gender. Gender is personal while sex is biological. 

The problem with this statement is that humans are not supposed to be and shouldn't be confined to what they biologically ought to do and should be able to do what they please. Humans are very diverse and to confine them in this "prison" mentioned thereof is mean.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 295 Pts   -  
    @TrueLove

The New Testament did not do away with forbidding homosexuality.  A man's body is for a woman's, and a woman's body is for a man's. The two genders are made for each other to become one.

Humans know much more and can do much more than what they're made to be. There is a difference between gender and sex. There are more than two genders. There are only two sex. The two sex are made for each other, but not gender. Gender is personal while sex is biological. 

The problem with this statement is that humans are not supposed to be and shouldn't be confined to what they biologically ought to do and should be able to do what they please. Humans are very diverse and to confine them in this "prison" mentioned thereof is mean.
    There are only two genders.  That is what the Bible says, and what science says.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • JeffreyBlankenshipJeffreyBlankenship 296 Pts   -  
    @Swolliw. Ok so I know that this is a joke of sorts but it makes you seem uneducated. What you brought up is old testament law. That has little relevance to christians. (The history itself does but not the law) That is Jewish law. We live by the word of Jesus and His law. But to answer your questions:

1. Old testament law

2.Old testament law

3.Old testament law

4. Yes I do because the New testament has many verses condeming homsexuality.

• NomenclatureNomenclature 626 Pts   -   edited April 16
    @JeffreyBlankenship
    Ok so I know that this is a joke of sorts but it makes you seem uneducated. What you brought up is old testament law. That has little relevance to christians.

The Bible has little relevance to Christians???  :#

You are literally contradicting Jesus, the person you claim to worship:-

1 John 2:4 - He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

DeePlaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 4385 Pts   -   edited April 16
    @JeffreyBlankenship

That is Jewish law. We live by the word of Jesus and His law. But to answer your questions:

Nonsense , 

New International Version
    For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
    NomenclaturePlaffelvohfen
    Dee said:
    @JeffreyBlankenship

That is Jewish law. We live by the word of Jesus and His law. But to answer your questions:

Nonsense , 

New International Version
    For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
    Jesus came and fulfilled the old and made a new law.

• NomenclatureNomenclature 626 Pts   -  
    @TrueLove

He literally told everybody they aren't getting into heaven unless they abide by the 10 commandments of Jewish law. At least learn your own religion before you start trying to explain it to other people.

Plaffelvohfen
  • mickygmickyg 349 Pts   -  
    5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.......@JeffreyBlankenship
    @TrueLove

He literally told everybody they aren't getting into heaven unless they abide by the 10 commandments of Jewish law. At least learn your own religion before you start trying to explain it to other people.

Jesus fulfilled the whole old law and made a new one.  

• DeeDee 4385 Pts   -  
    @TrueLove

Where did god and Jesus say everything is accomplished .......I will wait while you find the verses 

Plaffelvohfen
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 295 Pts   -   edited April 17
    Dee said:
    @TrueLove

Where did god and Jesus say everything is accomplished .......I will wait while you find the verses 

Jesus is explaining that heaven and earth would pass away but his words would never pass away.  
    How do you get that means Jesus' words will pass away one day?  

The New Testament went into force when Jesus died, raised again, and ascended to heaven.