Let's Be Fair About Religion - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is a globally leading online debate platform that is transforming the online debating experience. DebateIsland enables anyone to civilly debate online, casually or formally, with five fun debating formats: Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas. With DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use, online debate website, users can debate politics, debate science, debate technology, debate news, and just about anything else in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free while improving your debating skills with the help of Artifical Intelligence on DebateIsland.

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

Let's Be Fair About Religion

Debate Information

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion.
(Robert M. Pirsig)

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• @Swolliw
    Why start now?
  • SwolliwSwolliw 709 Pts   -  
    @John_C_87
    Why start now?

This has been going on since time immemorial, however, when religion was considered the norm in society, followers were not necessarily deluded, they gave religion no more than lip service in order to avoid persecution.
    Nowadays, people in civilised society are far more educated, free and have access to all information. Therefore, anybody who still believes in God and follows religion is deluded. There are still many out there and I take it upon myself, like other caring, civil, moral member of society to make these people aware of their affliction and for them to seek the appropriate help.
  • Debater123Debater123 114 Pts   -  
    @Swolliw Being religious isn't a bad thing, it answers more questions than it creates...
    Starlord616
  • DeeDee 3000 Pts   -  
    @Debater123

, it answers more questions than it creates...

Give me a few questions it answers that would satisfy non religious people and not those suffering from a delusion ?
  • Starlord616Starlord616 207 Pts   -  
    @Swolliw
    are there any problems in religious groups that we don't also see in atheists?
    @Starlord616

You can try and act as patronising as you like but you have been here long enough to read the posts and accurate evidence that I have given that supports the fact that there is overwhelming delusion, bigotry and anti-social bahaviour emanating from and by religious groups....."derrr well like, atheists can be deluded too you know". If you had a fair argument against mine, we should surely have seen it by now, but you have no valid argument, do you? And, resorting to mitigation surely does you no favour in the intellect stakes, does it?

@Debater123
    Being religious isn't a bad thing, it answers more questions than it creates...

Okay then perhaps you may like to religiously answer these valid questions....

Why is it that those who believe in God are deluded?

Why do religious groups openly vilify and direct hatred towards those in minority groups?

Why do religious organisations prey on the naive, gullible, weak and vulnerable to recruit new victims?

Why do religious organisations resort to fear and guilt to ensure their victims stay?

Swolliw said:

Why do religious groups openly vilify and direct hatred towards those in minority groups?

Why do religious organisations prey on the naive, gullible, weak and vulnerable to recruit new victims?

Why do religious organisations resort to fear and guilt to ensure their victims stay?

both atheists and theists do these things!!!!
    Swolliw said:

but you have no valid argument, do you? 

Ditto
  • DeeDee 3000 Pts   -  
    @Starlord616

Atheism is a position on one question and one question  alone and nothing else 
    AlofRI
    Dee said:
    @Starlord616

Atheism is a position on one question and one question  alone and nothing else 
    what? is this even an answer to my question?
  • DeeDee 3000 Pts   -  
    @Starlord616

Your failure to comprehend what Atheism actually is has you confused what ‘problems’ have Atheists got in your opinion if it’s a position on one question alone ? 

Dee said:
    @Starlord616

Your failure to comprehend what Atheism actually is has you confused what ‘problems’ have Atheists got in your opinion if it’s a position on one question alone ? 

well, im just saying that you have chosen to belive god isn't real and others have chosen to the belief that it is. there's no way of knowing which of you is correct
  • DeeDee 3000 Pts   -   edited November 22
    @Starlord616

well, im just saying that you have chosen to belive god isn't real and others have chosen to the belief that it is. there's no way of knowing which of you is correct

I’m saying the burden of proof is on the one making the affirmative claim thats the theist , I cannot say for certain there is not a god but I have not seen a jot of evidence to suggest there is one , my position is perfectly rational the theists is not 
    Starlord616
    Agreed. That's why faith exists. But just cause something isn't rational doesn't mean you have to try and destroy it. Front make it inheritnely bad @Dee
    @Starlord616

So? You are being deliberately deceitful since you know darned well what I am talking about.
    Some atheists do these things but ALL religious groups do these things.... that is the valid and justified argument that I presented and your childish mitigation counts for diddly squat.
  • SandSand 270 Pts   -  
    When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.
    When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion.
    When everyone suffers from a delusion, it is called Atheism

Swolliw said:
    @Starlord616 ;
    So? You are being deliberately deceitful since you know darned well what I am talking about.
    Some atheists do these things but ALL religious groups do these things.... that is the valid and justified argument that I presented and your childish mitigation counts for diddly squat.
    no, this statement is just blatantly false. although that it is common its not a blanket statement to say all religious group are bad or manipulative. these problems are not religious problems, they are human problems.
    @Starlord616
    its not a blanket statement to say all religious group are bad or manipulative. 

Okay, name one, just one religious group that isn't bad or manipulative and I will explain to you why it is.

mount colah community church
    @Swolliw
    pastafarianism aswell @Swolliw
    @Starlord616
    mount colah community church

Let's just look at what this lovely little church tucked away in the bush actually does:

"proclaim the good news of salvation"....good news that one will be saved from 9unproven and unfounded) eternal damnation and torture and that all others who don't comply will suffer.

"Send the Fire, the revolution now begin, for power to walk the world in white, to live a dying world to save"....such a delightful folksy song full of threats, death and domination.

"Scripture in schools".......mentally abusing innocent children by teaching them utter lies about doom and gloom.

"Fundraising events".....Income and profit that is declared non-taxable.
    "To preach Christ the risen crucified one and confess him as Lord.........to brainwash those who are naive and gullible with a load of utterly unproven and unfounded nonsense by fear and guilt.
    "To bear witness to the unity of faith and life in Christ, rising above cultural, economic, national and racial boundaries"......elitism at its utmost worst.

Not much good going on there, is there? But wait, oh, could it be that you may just perchance belong to said bush-wacky brain-washing clinic?
    "Our church is not like all the others you know, we are good"....and so says every single Church.

Okay, you know and I know that I am pressing the point, however it is my way to sensationalize what is wrong with religion for people to sit up and notice and get away from the notion that everything is rosy by believing a load of bovine excrement.
    Starlord616
    @Starlord616
    pastafarianism aswell

Although their intentions are truly honourable their methodology is crude and st**id, to say the least.
    I could find a better way of illustrating a point, in fact, it gives me a great idea. How about setting up the Church of Swolliw....instead of a cross above the archway, there will be a giant sledgehammer....very symbolic, don't you think?
    Starlord616
    Swolliw said:
    • good news that one will be saved from unproven and unfounded eternal damnation and torture and that all others who don't comply will suffer.

• folksy song full of threats, death and domination.

• mentally abusing innocent children by teaching them utter lies about doom and gloom.

• Income and profit that is declared non-taxable.
    • To brainwash those who are naive and gullible with a load of utterly unproven and unfounded nonsense by fear and guilt.
    • elitism at its utmost worst.
    let me preface this once again. I am not a theist. I used to be in my childhood and I did attend this church. most of the points you make here are completely unbacked and just the worst of the worst assumptions which are just blatantly false. 

1. yes they praise God, one who lacks hard evidence but that's the whole point of faith and is not wrong to do.
    2. I never felt as if I was destined to go to hell while religious except if I had done something like murder which surely should be taught to be a negative thing anyway.
    3., not threats it's about a revolution against evil and death.
    4. I was taught scriptures in school but I was never forced to believe them
    5. religion isn't all doom and gloom and that's why so many people find it so fulfilling
    6. the fundraising events do not go towards the church but to charities and relief agencies like ADRA
    7. brainwashing is such a buzz word. anything is brainwashing and everyone has been brainwashed at least once in their life (even you).
    8. literally the opposite of elitism lol

anyways that's probably enough form me because it is very apparent that you are not willing to hear other peoples ideas (which confuses me to why you are on this site in the first place). because you love your word deluded so much I have my own soon to be the overused buzz word.

bigotry
    the stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own. the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot.
    @Starlord616
    it is very apparent that you are not willing to hear other peoples ideas
    Completely wrong and vexatious, once again.........
    .....Okay, name one, just one religious group that isn't bad or manipulative and I will explain to you why it is.

most of the points you make here are completely unbacked and just the worst of the worst assumptions which are just blatantly false. 
    That is a completely hollow and meaningless assertion since you made an assumptive generalisation and did not say specifically what you mean.
    Every single one of my points is precise and exactly spot on and I have thoroughly researched every point I made...you haven't and have simply made up illogical or deceptive retorts, for example:
    6. the fundraising events do not go towards the church but to charities and relief agencies like ADRA.... you deceptively dodged the point of tax exemption

I do not "love" the word "deluded" any more than I love the word "bigot", however, both words go hand in hand with religion and you will always see these words since this is a religious forum. In any case, your definition of bigotry seems to go hand in hand with your behaviour in this and other threads. I am exposing facts which obviously you do not like (for undisclosed reasons). Not a theist?.....Pull the other one.
  • DeeDee 3000 Pts   -  
    @Starlord616

Agreed. That's why faith exists.

Faith is irrational it’s the excuse people give for believing something they have insufficient evidence for 

But just cause something isn't rational doesn't mean you have to try and destroy it. 

What your saying is it’s not fair to destroy irrational beliefs by being rational like let’s say telling terminally ill people to ignore medical advice and rely on prayer right? That’s what you’re saying

Front make it inheritnely bad @Dee

Peoples irrational beliefs destroys themselves and others you’re a supporter of irrationality why?
    religion gives people hope. and the world needs that @Dee
  • DeeDee 3000 Pts   -   edited November 23
    @Starlord616

religion gives people hope. and the world needs that

Does it indeed? So in your opinion you’re better off embracing irrationally as it gives “hope’ as you clearly stated .......

But just cause something isn't rational doesn't mean you have to try and destroy it. 
    Starlord616
    if it gives you peace and makes you a better person why stop it. even if it is based on a possibly false basis@Dee
  • DeeDee 3000 Pts   -  
    @Starlord616

if it gives you peace and makes you a better person why stop it. even if it is based on a possibly false basis

You totally ignored what I said should we not educate and inform others of how their beliefs can cause great harm?

Here is what I stated.... What your saying is it’s not fair to destroy irrational beliefs by being rational like let’s say telling terminally ill people to ignore medical advice and rely on prayer right? That’s what you’re saying right?

no. we should educate them if they are a risk to them selves or others but most of the time its not a risk @Dee
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 956 Pts   -  
    @Starlord616 ;
    I don't think that religion is a good thing, because many of the major world religions - Christianity especially - drive intolerance against others, often those who disagree with your faith. Religions with many gods, or no god, tend to be much more tolerant, because they recognise that others have different beliefs. In polytheism, different people worship different gods, even within one faith! 

It seems that many people who claim to be religious are in fact religious only in principle but not in practice, in which case it is not a problem. But if you take a religion like Christianity or Islam and follow it to the letter, then you will end up doing some strange, intolerant and damaging things. Therefore I think religion is not a good thing, and convincing people not to believe in religion is a good thing.
  • DeeDee 3000 Pts   -  
    @Starlord616

no. we should educate them if they are a risk to them selves or others but most of the time its not a risk

You’re totally contradicting what you stated .... if it gives you peace and makes you a better person why stop it. even if it is based on a possibly false basis
    @Starlord616
    religion gives people hope. and the world needs that

Religion gives hopeless people even less hope since it harbours their fears, indoctrinates them into cruel and anti-social doctrines and gives them little hope of ever escaping their plight.

it can do both. but so can being an athesit @Swolliw
    @Starlord616
    it can do both. but so can being an athesit

And I have posed this to you before....Yes, but to what extent, in each case?

• mickygmickyg 137 Pts   -  
    i have peace......i am an atheist...so please explain...
    i am not afraid of death...i don't know an atheist who is
    yer dead yer dirt...
    no hell or fire to WORRY ABOUT
    mickyg said:
    i have peace......i am an atheist...so please explain...
    i am not afraid of death...i don't know an atheist who is
    yer dead yer dirt...
    no hell or fire to WORRY ABOUT
    it's not to say that inner pace can only be obtained through religion but that is one of the routes. i my self am terrified about dying 
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1108 Pts   -  
    @Swolliw
    Is there any problem in atheists that we don't see in religious groups?  :mask:
  • mickygmickyg 137 Pts   -  
    atheists are self aware christians universally not....@AlofRI
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1108 Pts   -  
    mickyg said:
    atheists are self aware christians universally not....@AlofRI
    O.K., but, I don't see that as a "problem".
    AlofRI said:
    @Swolliw
    Is there any problem in atheists that we don't see in religious groups?  :mask:
    that's exactly my point. the problems arent religiously based
    @AlofRI
    Is there any problem in atheists that we don't see in religious groups? 

Yep, the good ole, "well everybody has those problems" mitigation.

The sort of problems we are talking about can be found throughout society however they are far more profound and prevalent with just about all theists. That's the big difference.