is it cold - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is a globally leading online debate platform that is transforming the online debating experience. DebateIsland enables anyone to civilly debate online, casually or formally, with five fun debating formats: Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas. With DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use, online debate website, users can debate politics, debate science, debate technology, debate news, and just about anything else in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free while improving your debating skills with the help of Artifical Intelligence on DebateIsland.

Communities

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

is it cold

Debate Information

Will and or can global warming produce an ice age

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• JasmineJasmine 29 Pts   -  
    It depends on where you live. Where I live, it's cold; but it's not cold in Africa right now.
    TreeMan
  • TreeManTreeMan 51 Pts   -  
    Why would global warming make earth cold?
    emphasis on warming
    the only reason it makes it cold is cus it changes the earth's ocean currents, thus blowing cold winds from antarctica to the US,
  • anarchist100anarchist100 215 Pts   -  
    @TreeMan
    Lets call it climate change then.
  • maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    This is an old theory nd it is plausible. Global warming does not happen suddenly but a couple mean degrees over several generations. What this does is create more precipitation and this will cause more snow in areas that normally get snow. More snow will mean ti will last longer than normal and every year a bit longer into spring.This will have a accumulative effect over years in which eventually keep the northerner areas into snow most of the years and  it will push southward over generations. @TreeMan
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -  

No it cannot, 

From NASA.......

Global Warming Is 'Global'

What’s perhaps most important to remember about global surface temperature fluctuations is that despite short-term ups and downs, the evidence shows that our planet is steadily accumulating heat. Scientists assessing global warming study Earth’s entire heat content, not just what happens in one part of the atmosphere or one component of the Earth system. And what they have found is that the balance of energy in the Earth system is out of whack: Our lower atmosphere is warming, the ocean is accumulating more energy, land surfaces are absorbing energy, and Earth’s ice is melting.

A study by Church et al. (2011) found that since 1970, Earth’s heat content has risen at a rate of 6 x 1021 Joules a year. That’s the equivalent of taking the energy output of about 190,000 nuclear power plants and dumping it into the ocean every year.

Despite short-term decreases in global temperature, the long-term trend shows that Earth continues to warm.

• maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    Will Global Warming Trigger a New Ice Age? | YaleGlobal Online  this 5 minute read will explain the idea faster than I can and in more detail. The theory is plausible@Dee
    TreeMan
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -   edited January 7
    @maxx

I’m not convinced the piece is 17 years old and not at all conversant with trends in the last 17 years 

Mc Guires  stance has changed as one of his later books he claims “ Already there are signs that the effects of climbing global temperatures are causing the sleeping giant to stir once again. Could it be that we are on track to bequeath to our children and their children not only a far hotter world, but also a more geologically fractious one?”
  • maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -   edited January 7
    correct, I myself would prefer the tropics, yet It is true that more heat means more precipitation and that does mean more snow in areas that normally gets it ;and weather or not it accumulates  over generation rermains to be seen. However climate can suddenly change, sometimes instantly. I believe science have found frozen wooly mammoths  in the tundra in where they still had their last meal in their stomach.  I need to refresh my recollection on that.  As well, back in the 1800s during the period of george washington, I believe a volcano caused what is called the little ice age; the summer that never came. Most of this was in the north states and it was dominate all across the northren hemisphere in where crops failed.  Everyone knows there is a difference between weather and climate so it is quite plausible that the so called effect of generational snow accumulation may turn us into an icy ball.  I'll hunt for an updated link.  However, this is dated 20003.@Dee
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -  
    @maxx

Everyone knows there is a difference between weather and climate

Who suggested different?

so it is quite plausible that the so called effect of generational snow accumulation may turn us into an icy ball.  

Chances according to latest models say that possibility is remote 

I'll hunt for an updated link.  
    well, let me see your latest models that suggest the chances are remote, instead of just saying so.A Chilling Possibility | Science Mission Directorate (nasa.gov)  as well please read the valid scientific link   @Dee
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -  
    @maxx

well, let me see your latest models that suggest the chances are remote, instead of just saying so

Its not “me just saying so”,  why are you getting aggressive? It’s NASA saying so 

please read the valid scientific link   

https://climate.nasa.gov/blog/2893/nope-earth-isnt-cooling/
    very well, now we have two valid links at odds with each other in which makes the point mute, so we go to simple logic.do you agree that global warming will produce more snowfall in areas that normally get snow?   A simple yes or no please.@Dee
    @maxx

very well, now we have two valid links at odds with each other in which makes the point mute, so we go to simple logic.do you agree that global warming will produce more snowfall in areas that normally get snow

Your NASA post like your first one is 17 years old mine is recent so your point is invalid using recent models unless you find a NASA post disputing that 

The point is not “mute” because the point you made was regards a new ice age which there is little support for.

What has snowfall in certain areas have to do with me stating that the chances of an ice age are remote?
  • maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    i do believe i explained how generational snowfall can accumulate over years in which winter in the areas of the north would contribute to keeping winter alive longer well into the spring. Over generations, this can have a run-away-train effect,  Let me ask you a question. Why do you think it is not possible for the warming of the earth to help snow and iceburgs to shift southward and start freezing areas that normally would not freeze?Predicting the Next Geologic Ice Age (thoughtco.com)  @Dee @Dee ; one year earlier than yours.  Evidence has little to due with a date of an article  but rather logic. I agrre that global warming may NOT  cause an ice age and we may be in the tropics over the next several generations, but there is no logical proof that global warming will not produce another ice age.  read the link please
    @maxx

i do believe i explained how generational snowfall can accumulate over years in which winter in the areas of the north would contribute to keeping winter alive longer well into the spring. 

You did explain what you think I get that but I find NASA speculations on the matter more convincing 

Over generations, this can have a run-away-train effect,  Let me ask you a question. Why do you think it is not possible for the warming of the earth to help snow and iceburgs to shift southward and start freezing areas that normally would not freeze?Predicting the Next Geologic Ice Age (thoughtco.com)  @Dee @Dee ; one year earlier than yours.  

Thought.com are not NASA I’m afraid far from it so I take what they say with a grain of salt 

Evidence has little to due with a date of an article  but rather logic.

You mean like logic NASA use regarding latest evidence? 

I agrre that global warming may NOT  cause an ice age and we may be in the tropics over the next several generations, but there is no logical proof that global warming will not produce another ice age.  

Well I posted some evidence from NASA regarding the future as far as their models predict and that’s as far as I can go , what “logical proof “ have you got further than NASA’s findings , please share

• maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    ok  i asked you 2 questions in which you failed to answer. let us skip the links. answer me why global warming can not produce an ice age. let assume i live in new england.  global warming means more snow and over years this more snow will last longer and deeper into the spring; in which can cause it to delve southward over generations. Again, global warming can just be a few mean degrees over many many years, but will and can make the northern hemisphere develop much more snow and ice which can travel south over time, deeper and deeper into spring and eventually into summer.  Now I ask yo why is that not possible/@Dee
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -   edited January 8
    @maxx

You asked me two questions unrelated to what I stated.

I've told you several times now I find the latest models as posted by NASA to be convincing ,they may be wrong but I wont be around to know

You are perfectly entitled to reject them using your new preferred links as NASA were good enough for your first post but apparently not now as they don't agree with the narritive you wish to push now as you neglected to check the date on the NASA one

So tell me tell me if I grant you're perfectly entitled to a different view why are you trying to get me to agree with you?

Do you realise people are entitled to hold different views going on the evidence they find most convincing or do you want to just preach?
  • Cringe_TrainCringe_Train 155 Pts   -  
    @maxx

Not this time,

The globe will heat. You should do more research on this. NASA has some good articles.
  • TreeManTreeMan 51 Pts   -  
    @maxx
    global warming will only cause a new ice age if it happen extremely quickly and it is already cold
    this is as carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses are insulaters, keeping cold in and heat out, or vice versa
    however, greenhouse gasses are produced at a rate that means it would continuously be getting hotter and hotter

• maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    you failed toshow me these models
    @Dee
    @maxx

you failed toshow me these models

I "failed " nothing as I provided a link to NASA's website which has the most up to date information ,if you refuse to accept such in favour of a blog from a post from your new favourite site so be it ....you best stick with that after all what would NASA the site you quoted and now disown know?

The site in question has various links and several  related articles , if you have difficulty finding them go  to the top of the page and it is clearly written ARTICLES what you do is click on that and you will get related content , also when reading their post anything written  in blue you can click on and it will take you to related content

If none of this is to your satisfaction you can write to NASA on their open forum and point out the many flaws in their findings as they are not (like me) claiming certainty but  are going on the latest findings and research on the subject , you can continue to claim certainty as  is your right, so your argument is now with NASA not with me 

I also note several others are requesting you do some more research on the matter which is up to you to accept or reject or do you wish to keep trying to force your opinion on me?

You're free to believe what you will as you seem to have certainty on the subject which I cannot claim but can only go on latest evidence which to me is convincing ,so can you stop the preaching please?
  • maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    ive asked you to follow debate protocol andi have asked you many times to answer  my questions on how it is not possible for global warming to produce an ice age.Never mind links. answer in your own words as to why. If you do not wish to do so, then I will disengage from the conversation and you can go debate with someone else.@Dee
    @maxx

ive asked you to follow debate protocol

Which I have adhered to , if that’s not the case you know you can take your concerns up with management 

andi have asked you many times to answer  my questions on how it is not possible for global warming to produce an ice age.

The answer to that question is demonstrated admirably by a very large graph on the NASA site clearly demonstrating the way temperatures are going 

Never mind links

But I do mind links where else do we get information? Also if I’m not to “mind them” why do you  post them?

answer in your own words as to why.

Well if NASA cannot convince you how could I?

If you do not wish to do so, then I will disengage from the conversation and you can go debate with someone else

Excellent,  disengage away you can attempt to lecture the others on how wrong there are to disagree with your assertions ......enjoy 
  • maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
     very well we agree to disagree so more arguments are futile.  I have not said global warming WILL  cause an age, I said it is possible and science shows that it IS POSSIBLE yet you deny it. have a good day@Dee
  • maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    here is a five minute read you should look at.  I am not stating global warming will cause an ice age, just saying that it is scientifically possible  .Will global warming plunge Europe into an ice age? | New Scientist@Cringe_Train
    @maxx

I have not said global warming WILL  cause an age, I said it is possible and science shows that it IS POSSIBLE yet you deny it. 

I have  said global warming WILL  not cause an ice age going on accepted models yet you deny this Also this is  regarding future projections after that I do not know as I cannot like you have certainty

I’m saying science supports my view when I develop the gift of very long term predictability I will update as necessary 

I see you’re now posting up 27 year old papers to “prove “ your cause 

@maxx

A 27 year old paper really?
  • maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    @maxx

You really should read what that article says ..... Also on a side note under Global Warming news latest article is talking about how rising climate rates are affecting Lizard populations 

Did you even read your article?

Computer models have yielded ambiguous results on the sensitivity of polar winds to climate change. 

"The new findings suggest that the atmosphere and ocean around Antarctica will change greatly in the coming century," said Ai. "However, because the CO2 from fossil fuel burning is unique to the current times, more work is needed to understand how Antarctic Ocean changes will affect the rate at which the ocean absorbs this CO2."

I appreciate your effort to convert me into your alternate theory but I’m not convinced so can you stop preaching and leave others to their opinions or should I request adjudication on the matter?  

I’ve told you 3 times now you’re entitled to your opinion do me the courtesy of offering the same in turn 

• maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    it discusses how global warming will warm the oceans and in doing so release more co2 and nitrogen in the atmosphere which cools the earth. However since you can not believe that global warming can cause an ice age regardless of what many scientists believe, then again why bother debating the topic from this point on unless you just prefer the last word upon the subject.@Dee
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -  
    @maxx

LOL ...... Computer models have yielded ambiguous results on the sensitivity of polar winds to climate change. 

• maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    again, it is possible, your claim is that it is not possible.  I have shown how it is possible, not that it will. Read the article again a bit more slowly@Dee
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -  
    @maxx

Read the article again a bit more slowly 

I don’t need to got it first time that word ....Ambiguous .......is in most good dictionaries......have you  any more 27 year old papers as a back up?

• maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    that one link was 2020. ambiguous means it can have more than one meaning, can be interpreted two different ways, which also means that it can be interpreted in the way the paper suggests. It does not mean it is wrong..@Dee
    @maxx

, can be interpreted two different ways, 

So are you finished ?
  • maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -   edited January 8
    let me tell you something. None of your links prove that global warming will not cause an ice age; they only show theoretical  models that it will not. No one knows; for it can go either way. A theory is not proof. My links do not prove anything, yet yours do not either. There are many ideas and theories on what causes ice ages, from volcano eruptions to low solar activity, to sudden warming of ocean currents, to sudden catastrophic actions. There is no proof, so your link means just as little or as much as mine do.  now if you claim that you are actually read my links; let me see you disprove the following.  How Melting Arctic Ice Affects Ocean Currents | UCAR Center for Science Education  this shows how as global warming melts iceburgs  the water will slow or stop warm ocean currants  from travelling north, thus cooling the earth. @Dee
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -  
    @maxx

No one knows; for it can go either way. A theory is not proof. My links do not prove anything, yet yours do not either. 

I totally agree,  I keep saying I have read and accepted a viewpoint that states models for the  foreseeable  future , after that I do not know I don’t have certainty

I really don’t know what you want anymore?

Are we done?
    did you read the link about ocean currants and how global warming can cool the earth? basically it states that as iceburgs melt, they add fresh water to the oceans which mixes with the salt water of the ocean currents, slowly and ; if enough of this fresh water interference, can stop the warm water currents from flowing norrtward. This will cool the earth and re-freeze the ice as it travels south. An accumulative effect. I ask of you, after you read my past link, if it makes sense or not.@Dee
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -  
    @maxx

Oh dear ,I thought we were done? What is it you want ? 
  • maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    read above and answer my questions please; that is all.  If you say you have already answered them, bear with me and answer them again. read my last link, or my desscription of the contents of the link, or both. I agree that there is a much stronger possibility that global warming will not create an ice age; yet you stated that there is no way.  So I ask you to answer my last reply@Dee
    @maxx

There is no talking to you your obsession with wanting people to agree with you is scary , I don’t care what you think you’re entitled to think that way ...please stop preaching 

If you do not want to follow proper debate protocol, by all means I will disengage. I answered your How Melting Arctic Ice Affects Ocean Currents | UCAR Center for Science Educationquestions and aske you to answer my latest reply which you have not.  I can repost it if you dpo not see it.If your ego refuses to admit that you may be wrong, then at this point I guess we are done.   Read the link and tell me how it is wrong.  @Dee
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -  
    @maxx

We are done indeed your behaviour is unacceptable , I’ve told you 9 times now you’re entitled to your opinion but apparently I’m not entitled to mine,  after your recent warnings over the same behavior you seem to be spoiling for a fight so be it , it’s out of my hands now 
  • maxxmaxx 477 Pts   -  
    your opinion is fine, yet you refuse to accept and state the obvious that global warming can cause  an ice age.@Dee
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -  
    @maxx

yet you refuse to accept and state the obvious that global warming can cause  an ice age.

“The obvious “ according to people who trust 27 year old science papers ....Funny .....

I don’t do new  age conspiracy theories Maxx or accept 27 year old papers that spout nonsense that’s been proved totally mistaken , I’m still sticking with actual science despite your constant preaching ......

......NASA , in plain English: the warming caused by the greenhouse gas emissions from the human burning of fossil fuels is 6 times greater than the possible decades-long cooling from a prolonged Grand Solar Minimum.  

Even if a Grand Solar Minimum were to last for a century, global temperatures would still continue to warm. Because the Sun is not the only factor affecting global temperatures on Earth.
    many of those papers were 2020.. tell me.  do you believe in darwins theory of evolution?  How about einsteins theory of relativity?  how old were those papers. Age has nothing to do with logic  your opinion has been noted .  global warming melts ice burgs and the fresh water into the ocean currunts can disrupt and even stop warm water from flowing north. If you do not believe ocean currants play a major role in climate then I suggest you ask NASA
    @Dee
    Dee
    @maxx

do you believe in darwins theory of evolution?  How about einsteins theory of relativity

Yes I believe in facts

how old were those papers. Age has nothing to do with logic  your opinion has been noted

Yet another ridiculous assertion as in I said models have made predictions regarding the foreseeable future there is no “set theory “ regards climate change only predictions , you’ve been told this 25 times now.....your opinion had been noted 

.**  global warming melts ice burgs and the fresh water into the ocean currunts can disrupt and even stop warm water from flowing north. If you do not believe ocean currants play a major role in climate then I suggest you ask NASA**

I gave you NASA links that support what I say and what are currants ? I didn’t know raisins were involved in climate change LOL 
    and I gave you science reports that shows the opposite.  Oh by the way; nasa is a space institute, not a climatologist. Did you even read the link or shall I repost it? You did not show yet how it can be wrong; at this moment the burden of proof is with you for my linlk is just as valid as yours.  read the link and tell me how it can be wrong@Dee   How Melting Arctic Ice Affects Ocean Currents | UCAR Center for Science Education  this shows how global warming can cool the  world.  show me how it is wrong.
    @maxx

Thank you Maxx I don’t read 30 year old papers from FB activists but I’m really touched you keep posting them 

I will stick with NASA .....it’s called science .......