frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are video games a healthy distraction or a threat to our society?

2»

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• @RS_master
    If a child is having nightmares because they are playing a certain type of game, that is because they are playing a game which they are not old enough to play. If children ignore the age ratings, that is their problem. A study from Oxford University shows that video games actually do not make you more violent. I agree with RichardCarter2021, who said:
     Very very few people may have been violent due to what happened in a video game or because they became inspired by the video game to do what the game does, like shoot people or recklessly drive. However, those that see this and claim that video games (more specifically violent video games) cause everyone to become violent as well is performing the hasty generalization fallacy, which doesn't look at the fact and data of every single person that plays video games.
    Just because a handful of people became violent after playing video games does not mean that violent video games make all the millions and millions of people who play them violent. It is very, very rare.
    Quote:
    "The idea that violent video games drive real-world aggression is a popular one, but it hasn’t tested very well over time. Despite interest in the topic by parents and policy-makers, the research has not demonstrated that there is cause for concern."
    I would appreciate it if you backed up your point abut video games being bad for your mental health. You have repeatedly made this point, but it has no evidence. Your argument would be supported better if you had any evidence for this. Also, you have once again used the slippery slope. You said that the game will make your mental health bad, and then mental health disorders will take place, and then the child will start to beg to play the game more and then they will have nightmares. Spot the illogicality. While this might happen in a few cases, it is extremely rare and will only happen to a tiny, tiny proportion of the children who play.
    To back up my points, a study shows that playing games teaches you how to learn, because you have to adapt to the new controls when you play new games. Many people enjoy playing video games so they can relax, escape from the outside world and disappear into the world of their game. This is because humans enjoy relaxing and escaping from their physical reality, others do this by relaxing and reading a book, drawing, or spending time on DebateIsland.com. And about motion sickness, this is mainly caused by a frame rate that is not high enough and can be cured by drinking water and taking regular breaks.
    In conclusion, playing video games does not make you violent in real life, it is not bad for your mental health, some games make you smarter and the reason many people play is for escapism.
    대왕광개토RichardCarter2021RS_master
  • I don't think that the apparent 'aggression' people exhibit while playing game should be regarded as a problem. Not only games but also sports make people more aggressive while they are playing them. I think that intense competition that arises when people play games or sports is what that causes aggression. Therefore, aggression that arises when people play games is something natural and hence shouldn't be a problem.
    xlJ_dolphin_473
  • I don't think that the apparent 'aggression' people exhibit while playing game should be regarded as a problem. Not only games but also sports make people more aggressive while they are playing them. I think that intense competition that arises when people play games or sports is what that causes aggression. Therefore, aggression that arises when people play games is something natural and hence shouldn't be a problem.
    That's true. It only becomes a problem when they continue to exhibit aggression once they have stopped playing the game.
    대왕광개토
  • RichardCarter2021RichardCarter2021 34 Pts   -   edited September 2019
    @RS_master
    "The idea that violent video games drive real-world aggression is a popular one, but it hasn’t tested very well over time. Despite interest in the topic by parents and policy-makers, the research has not demonstrated that there is cause for concern."
    I would appreciate it if you backed up your point abut video games being bad for your mental health. You have repeatedly made this point, but it has no evidence. Your argument would be supported better if you had any evidence for this. Also, you have once again used the slippery slope. You said that the game will make your mental health bad, and then mental health disorders will take place, and then the child will start to beg to play the game more and then they will have nightmares. Spot the illogicality. While this might happen in a few cases, it is extremely rare and will only happen to a tiny, tiny proportion of the children who play.
    I agree with this. I think it's something called the slippery slope fallacy that RS_master is performing here, again without any sort of evidence. I'm still waiting for that study from Craig Anderson.
    xlJ_dolphin_473
  • With many other things, video games are okay in moderation. As for being a threat for society I really can't see how that would be the case.

• RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    @RS_master
    If a child is having nightmares because they are playing a certain type of game, that is because they are playing a game which they are not old enough to play. If children ignore the age ratings, that is their problem. A study from Oxford University shows that video games actually do not make you more violent. I agree with RichardCarter2021, who said:
     Very very few people may have been violent due to what happened in a video game or because they became inspired by the video game to do what the game does, like shoot people or recklessly drive. However, those that see this and claim that video games (more specifically violent video games) cause everyone to become violent as well is performing the hasty generalization fallacy, which doesn't look at the fact and data of every single person that plays video games.
    Just because a handful of people became violent after playing video games does not mean that violent video games make all the millions and millions of people who play them violent. It is very, very rare.
    Quote:
    To back up my points, a study shows that playing games teaches you how to learn, because you have to adapt to the new controls when you play new games. Many people enjoy playing video games so they can relax, escape from the outside world and disappear into the world of their game. This is because humans enjoy relaxing and escaping from their physical reality, others do this by relaxing and reading a book, drawing, or spending time on DebateIsland.com. And about motion sickness, this is mainly caused by a frame rate that is not high enough and can be cured by drinking water and taking regular breaks.
    In conclusion, playing video games does not make you violent in real life, it is not bad for your mental health, some games make you smarter and the reason many people play is for escapism.
    Actually what @xlJ_dolphin_473 said in the first paragraph was wrong. Their have been lots of murders and stabs by teenagers who have played video games which include violence.

https://punchng.com/boy-influence-by-video-game-stabs-student-to-death/
    This is an article to prove that if you play too much violent video games you start stabbing.
    xlJ_dolphin_473RichardCarter2021
  • RS_master said:
    @RS_master
    Quote:
    Actually what @xlJ_dolphin_473 said in the first paragraph was wrong. Their have been lots of murders and stabs by teenagers who have played video games which include violence.

This is an article to prove that if you play too much violent video games you start stabbing.
    You stated only one evidence to back up your claim that violent video games make you murder people. That will not serve as a good evidence to support your claim. You should instead give us a more detailed study that surveys many people(not just a few) who play violent games.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9416606/Batman-cinema-shooting-killer-said-he-was-The-Joker.html

https://m.ranker.com/list/real-crimes-inspired-by-the-joker/jacob-shelton

If you see the link I posted above, you will realize that a certain fictional character(Joker) can also make a person commit murder. If I use your logic here, then I would conclude that people should't see Joker because he can potentially make them murderers. 
  • RS_master said:
    @RS_master
    Quote:

The evidence you cited deals only with one kid. That is not sufficient to back up your viewpoint on video games. You said that there are a lot of teenagers who became murderers after playing violent video games. Can you cite the sources? And how many teenage murderers are there(due to video game)? Did you compare the total number of all video game players with the number of people who became murderer because of games? 

I have cited this source to let you know that a mere fictional character(Joker) can make people commit horrendous crimes. So is it reasonable to conclude that whoever watches and likes Joker commits crime, and therefore Joker himself is evil? I don't think so. 
  • @RS_master In addition, you need to cite a more detailed research that includes many video game players and shows the possibility of them becoming murderer(if there is any). You also have to consider all relevant factors that have potential to make people commit crime.
  • RS_master said:
    @RS_master
    Quote:

Several instances of people  who committed crime due to violent video game is not a sound justification for your claim that playing too much violent video games makes you start stabbing someone else. 

If you check the source I posted above, you will find that there were 16 people who committed murder because they were inspired by a mere fictional character, Joker. So is it reasonable to jump into a conclusion that if you like Joker, then you will start shooting others? I don't think so.

xlJ_dolphin_473
  • I posted two comments and they disappeared as soon as I finished editing them. They might appear later, just to let everyone know that I am not spamming.
  • RichardCarter2021RichardCarter2021 34 Pts   -   edited September 2019
    RS_master said:

This is an article to prove that if you play too much violent video games you start stabbing.'

@RS_master

You using this article that you've posted only pushes my claim of you performing the hasty generalization fallacy. Just because this article shows someone who was inspired by the video game to do illegal or terrible acts doesn't show that everyone does this. This is also not the study Craig Anderson made that I've asked you to provide twice, and this is the third time now. It's becoming more and more likely that you made it up. And no, he did not write this article. This article also doesn't appear to be very reliable due to small typos in the article. It also doesn't provide what video game the kid was inspired by.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    I like using this example from my own life when discussing these things. At the age of 4 I played the game Doom, the original one. It was considered extremely violent, strongly not recommended for people under 18, and there was a strong motion in multiple governments, including the US one, to ban it altogether.

25 years later, and I am one of the most peaceful humans in the history of humanity. I do not even harm insects if I can help it, and whenever I find a spider in my room, I put it on a sheet of paper and carefully bring it outside.

I have played a lot of games, some extremely violent, in my life (not recently though; my interest in video games is declining as I become more interested in my career and developing business plans), and yet I will never hurt anyone or anything if I can help it.

Anecdotal evidence is not a proof of anything, of course, but this example does illustrate that it is much more about the person, than it is about what entertainment they consume.
    대왕광개토RichardCarter2021Zombieguy1987xlJ_dolphin_473
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
  • Respectfully, but an individual and a magazine article with relatively low data to go on is insignificant. Until further data is evaluated there is no reason to think video games are a threat to society, and nor the reason for job loss in certain states or countries.

With that being said however, too much of anything is considered unhealthy and that includes things like excessive video game use, which could be considered an addiction issue.