Who is technology benefiting? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate platform globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology.

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

Who is technology benefiting?

Debate Information

The state will use technology to enslave us.
  1. Live Poll

Should we have technology?

4 votes
    1. No, the state will use it to oppress us.
      25.00%
    2. Yes, I trust my government, and or, it's not the government using it.
      50.00%
    3. I saw a bear today.
      25.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Starlord616Starlord616 330 Pts   -  
    you don't need to trust your government to see the value of technology
    ZeusAres42
  • anarchist100anarchist100 332 Pts   -   edited February 19
    @Starlord616
    It's the government using it, I value my guns but I won't let my enemies use them.

would you rather give it up together than have the government use it? @anarchist100
  • anarchist100anarchist100 332 Pts   -   edited February 19
    @Starlord616
    Yes, actually I would. Better a free caveman.
    I have a hard time believing that. plus cavemen had technology @anarchist100
  • anarchist100anarchist100 332 Pts   -  
    @Starlord616
    What do you mean by technology? It's hard to give up drugs but it's the healthy thing to do.
  • Far more options exist than what you've given us.

@ZeusAres42
    Ok, like what? most of the time it is impossible to mention all possible opinions in a poll.
  • @ZeusAres42
    Ok, like what? most of the time it is impossible to mention all possible opinions in a poll.

Fari enough. Here goes then:

Who is technology benefiting?

• Business
    • Social Networks
    • Internet daters.
    • The Military
    • People with mental health issues
    • Governments
    • Individuals just for their own entertainment.
    The list is endless.

@ZeusAres42
    I'm against it because ultimately it benefits the fourth and sixth options.
  • @ZeusAres42
    I'm against it because ultimately it benefits the fourth and sixth options.

I take it you use a VPN to access this site then? Don't worry, I am not an agent hehe.

@Starlord616
    What do you mean by technology? It's hard to give up drugs but it's the healthy thing to do.
    machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge

@Starlord616
    What technology did cavemen have?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3702 Pts   -  
    First, if you think that life before the industrial evolution and today's amazing technology was freer, then you are deeply mistaken. Feudal Europe, for example, was an extremely oppressive place, where most people did not have any choice in how their life was going to play out. Today you are able to choose what profession to pursue, you can open your business, you can be a freelancer, you can travel around the world relatively freely, etc. Back then? If you were born on a farm, then that was it, that was your life: on that farm, under the heel of your feudal lord. You could "escape" from the farm, but where? You do not have any relatives of any non-peasant class, so all the doors are closed to you. You could try to escape Feudal Europe altogether, but life overseas for Europeans was even worse - for example, on the Middle East in most places you would probably just be killed as a heretic on sight.

Governments were FAR more oppressive back then, with strong hierarchical structures that did not tolerate even the most insignificant opposition. And part of the reason was exactly the lack of technology: governments faced no threat from the common population, and most revolts were not even a challenge to it, as peasants armed with sticks and rakes had little chance against an elite army full of grizzled veterans (as full scale wars between major powers at the time were waged all the time).

Sure, nowadays governments have better technology at their disposal - but civilians have disproportionally better technology as well. Long gone are the days when kings were travelling in golden carts, while plebs were traveling on foot wearing beaten up sandals, or riding malnutritioned mules. Nowadays the president of the US drives pretty much the same vehicles as a student from a random college campus, with the exception of the president's ride being armored. Yes, the government has much better weaponry, but civilians nowadays also can put up quite a fight, especially in countries in which firearm possession is not outlawed (which is most countries in practice).

I do not need to mention countless other benefits that technology provides. Being able to drive from one end of the US to the opposite one in 4 days or fly in 7 hours, instead of riding a horse buggy for 1.5 months, is quite an upgrade. Or how about the fact that one farmer nowadays can feed thousands people, while for the majority of human history one farmer could barely feed his own family? Hell, the very fact that we are having this conversation right now, without even being aware of each other's location, tells you a lot about how free and prosperous we are today.

If you want to go back to cavemen times, you are free to do so: find like-minded people and form a commune somewhere in the Amazon forest. Unlike the actual cavemen times, you have the real opportunity to do so. The life will be brutish though, and your commune is unlikely to survive for more than a couple of years, so I do not recommend it. You will be free from civilization, sure, but this is a questionable freedom to have. Freedom to die to one of 2378234 things that can go wrong in a jungle and having no one but other cavemen with no technology stuck in the same condition as you to help you - not my cup of tea, personally.