Most Martial Arts are useless when it comes to self defense
Back To Top
Firstly, I would just like to clarify that there are three forms of Martial Combat:
- Martial Sport
- Martial Defense (AKA self Defense)
- Martial Art (Not exactly combat)
However, when we talk of Martial arts we're generally referring to all three of these things. I myself have practiced all three of these. I love Judo which is a martial sport although I haven't trained in a while partly due to this lockdown and having a blood clot some time back. Anyway, I am also going to use the term "martial art" to refer to all things for simplicity.
Now, while there is a load of awesome techniques in lots of martial arts technique alone is not enough for self-protection. There is a big difference between training in a friendly environment versus being in a situation where someone is determined to beat the living cr***p out of you.
There are, however, some forms of unarmed combat that come pretty close to personal protection. Ranked from most to least they are:
- Special forces unarmed combat
- Constant street fighting or bare knuckling fighting (AKA Pugislims)
- MMA (providing you actually get into a ring with someone that is really vicious regularly.)
- Muay Thai (Prefferebly training in Thailand)
- Krav Maga
The above is designed to test you under pressure. The more you're able to practice under pressure the better you will be able to perform under pressure.