frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

(Moral and Political) The Ideal Social Contract?

Debate Information

What would you describe as being the most ideal social contract?

Firstly, I have to admit that I am rather ignorant about this subject especially after at the time of writing I just came across this:

The social contract is what allows any government to work, but it's important to note that government and a social contract are different things. You can change every part of a government without changing the contract. https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-a-social-contract-definition-examples.html

I was initially under the assumption that the social contract was referencing a governmental system that is the best for everyone. Or perhaps I have got it right and the above is just confusing me. Nonetheless, I would like your views on this as it could be that some of you are very familiar with this and far more able to explain this in a way that is far more apt for the general reader as opposed to the book I am currently reading which is "Mob Mentality" with the first part being to do with the "Social Contract," "originally published as On the Social Contract; or, Principles of Political Rights by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, is a 1762 book in which Rousseau theorized about the best way to establish a political community in the face of the problems of commercial society, which he had already identified in his Discourse on Inequality." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Social_Contract

Now, I am going to give my take on what I would describe as an ideal social contract. However, do feel free to point out if I am conflating government and social contract as being the same thing. Anyway, here goes.

My ideal system would be a society for the people governed by the people but only to a limited extent. We must also submit to the notion that there are people out there with far more elitists minds than us that are far more capable of making certain decisions than the majority. For example, The movie "The Imitation Game" which was based on a true story consisted of a scene where Alan Turing and other elitist code breakers could not save a group of people as it would mean the Germans knowing that Britain had broken the Enigma code. Alan Turing was asked by one of the code breakers who was emotionally involved in this case "What gives you the right to play God?" And Alan Turing quite rightfully responded with "Because we're the only ones that can!" The point is that some things are of such great magnitude that the majority cannot be a reliable source in determining the best outcome.

Okay, now over to you.

Plaffelvohfen

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments