frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The Bible is definitely pro-abortion. Not, pro-choice, just pro-abortion.

Debate Information

The bible is a very fickle book, that quite frankly can be used to justify just about anything on account of the text being so vague and readily open for interpretation. The bible was used by white slaveholders to justify slavery, yet modern conservative pundits seem to suggest that it was the reason that slavery was abolished. Similarly, the bible is used to justify the pro-life position which of course has no merit, because many people don't accept the bible as justification any more than the Quran, the Holy Vedas, or L. Ron Hubbard's works. Christians of course, don't really believe the bible just the parts they pick and choose to fit their preferred narrative. Most of the bible will never be taught in church because it so readily contradicts itself, and even worse doesn't consider many of the moral issues that we contend with in our society, leaving it woefully inadequate at performing it's reported goal.

With that said, I think that there is a strong case to be made that the bible is pro-abortion and very explicitly so.

Here is a list of verses that explicitly allow abortion:

Numbers 31:17 "Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him."

Hosea 16 :13 "Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."

Numbers 5:11-31 (summarized) " Then the Lord said to Moses, 12 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If a man’s wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him 13 so that another man has sexual relations with her, and this is hidden from her husband and her impurity is undetected "..."27 If she has made herself impure and been unfaithful to her husband, this will be the result: When she is made to drink the water that brings a curse and causes bitter suffering, it will enter her, her abdomen will swell and her womb will miscarry, and she will become a curse. 28 If, however, the woman has not made herself impure, but is clean, she will be cleared of guilt and will be able to have children."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a list of verses that supposedly refute abortion and why they are wrong.

Exodus 20:13 "you shalt not Murder"
-> This verse specifically talks about unlawful killing in the context of the law. Since abortion is legal, abortion is not murder. 1 Peter 2:13-17 explicitly states that you should honor the authorities of a nation, so therefore if the authorities in the form of elected officials do not condemn abortion, then it ought not be condemned as murder.

Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."
-> This verse is specifically referring to Jeremiah, not to all people. Unless someone is a prophet, this verse does not apply to them. It does not explicitly condemn abortion.

Psalm 139:13 "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb."
-> Like Jeremiah 1:5, it does not explicitly condemn abortion, simply saying that god makes babies. (which we know is false from science)

Galatians 1:15 "But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,"
-> This verse mentions the womb, but it does not condemn abortion. In fact, it might be argued that abortion pleases god because he never seems to intervene in it's process.

From all of these, I would argue that the bible is explicitly pro-abortion, although not necessarily pro-choice. I expect a fair amount of disagreement here, but this is the bible we are talking about, so anything goes.
xlJ_dolphin_473AlofRITreeManWe_are_accountableOakTownAExtempTalkSkepticalOneSamuelHuron
At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
Through a long process of evolution this life 
developed into the human race.
Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments