Christians, have you ever actually READ the Bible start to finish? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

Christians, have you ever actually READ the Bible start to finish?

Debate Information

"If you believe in the bible, you're christian. if you read the bible from start to finish, you're an atheist."
LiamThePersonTreeManZeusAres42IBelieveConservativeGirl0519

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• anarchist100anarchist100 447 Pts   -  
    @Cringe_Train
    I did once.
    Happy_KillbotCringe_TrainTreeManIBelieve
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 4759 Pts   -  
    I read the bible beginning to end, as well as the Quran, the Torah, the Hadith, and the holy Vedas (that one's a mind f***)

If Christians actually read the bible, they would most likely stop being Christians because of how disturbing that book is. The Quran is definitely the least violent of those, which is ironic because their religion has the most extreme members.
    mickygTreeManZeusAres42ConservativeGirl0519IBelieve
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • Cringe_TrainCringe_Train 209 Pts   -  
    @Cringe_Train 

Doubtful any of the atheists on this site have ever read it.... if they did and actually understood what they read....they would no longer be Atheists.  Realistically atheists dont exist... which explains why they can’t prove God doesn’t exist... At best they are agnostics and have no idea.

read the comment that Happy_killbot posted right below yours.

you and Killbot basically just made opposite points. It's pretty funny actually.

why don't you prove god does exist?
    ZeusAres42
  • Cringe_TrainCringe_Train 209 Pts   -  
    @anarchist100

well i'm not saying ALL christians haven't read the whole thing, but most don't.
    @ChristWarrior ;

Open your bible. Read the first page.

Show me someone who claims that this makes sense and is literally true, and I will show you someone who is delusional or gullible.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• TacoCatTacoCat 37 Pts   -  
    The way I see it, there is a spectrum of belief for Christians, there are the the fundamentalists who take it all literally, and the moderates who understand it to be mostly metaphor. Personally, I don't see how anyone could think the entire bible is literal but to each there own.
    Happy_Killbot
    I'm a pagan.

=^_^=

How do you know which parts are subjective and literal? Some Christians believe that the world is actually 6,000 years old, like Ken Ham and others believe that the genesis story is a myth meant to convey god's power. How do you rectify this disagreement?

• Starlord616Starlord616 358 Pts   -  
    @Cringe_Train 

Doubtful any of the atheists on this site have ever read it.... if they did and actually understood what they read....they would no longer be Atheists.  Realistically atheists dont exist... which explains why they can’t prove God doesn’t exist... At best they are agnostics and have no idea.

I've read the entirety of the bible (as well as other religious texts) because i grew in the Adventist church. still an atheist
    Happy_Killbot
    @Starlord616 ;

Honestly, I don't think you can make a serious claim to the title "atheist" unless you have read the bible or the Quran start to finish.

• TreeManTreeMan 172 Pts   -  
    By reading the bible, a scholar can find millions of contradictions in the bible that prove that the bible is just a mere book of myth written by man
  • TreeManTreeMan 172 Pts   -  
    For example, the bible states that god is omnipotent, omniscient and benevolentyet god killed many million people in a rage after the Egyptian pharaoh imprisioned and enslaved the Israelites. If god was all powerful, he would be able to persuade the pharaoh to release the Israelites without killing innocent people. Thus he is either benevolent but not all powerful or all powerful but not benevolent.ask @Happy_Killbot for more contradictions @ChristWarrior
    Happy_Killbot
    @ChristWarrior ;

So many contradictions, absurdities, and factually incorrect statements, where do I even begin?

Let's start with page 1. My personal bible I got as a kid conveniently has genesis 1 in it's entirety.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God created the heavens and the earth, but it is never made clear if god actually created these things or if they were already there, and god just populated them. It would seem that god was just there over the water.

light and darkness are intertwined in the beginning, but this is nonsense because darkness is the absence of light.

(depending on translation) genesis 1:6 reads: "let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters", as if to imply that space is an ocean...of water, and a dome is in the sky.

god gathers the water in one place to make land, again this is non-sense because of the way that gravity works.

God creates plants & vegetation on the 3rd day, then the sun on the 4th day.

Genesis 1:16 implies that the moon is emissive, rather than illuminated.

The earth exists before the sun did, when everything we know about star and planet formation suggests otherwise.

All the birds and fish are created before the rest of the animals.

(depending on translation) genesis 1:26 reads: "let us make human kind in our image..." Our implies plurality, suggesting there are multiple gods.

Humans have "dominion" over all the animals, yet they still might hurt and/or kill us.

The entire world is created in 6 days, which we know is false by both biological and geological evidence.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is by no means a comprehensive list, but needless to say that even a causal reader with a GED can probably spot at least this many flaws on every page.

• xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1385 Pts   -  
    @ChristWarrior
    I have indeed read the Bible, and it is one of the strangest books I have ever read.
    I would have had a hard time guessing that God is meant to be the good guy if it didn't say so.
    Of all the people who treat this holy book as the basis for their worldview, I doubt that many of them actually understand the significance of its words.
  • DeeDee 3865 Pts   -   edited March 9

Christians, have you ever actually READ the Bible start to finish?

I don’t know how many  have read it  but on here I doubt any have ever even opened it.

I’ve stated before if no one was exposed to religion or the the bile and it’s contents until the age of 16 and presented with a bile and told to read it and come back with their views  apart from getting bored to death and laughing hilariously at the contradictory gibberish within , the only conclusion one could reach is that it’s pure fiction and the god depicted is a raging imbecile a trait a sizable amount of his followers seem to share 
    @ChristWarrior

; Hi Dee!!!   How are ya brah!!   Are you haveing a better day today?   Good to see ya again brah!!! 

I’m great I was here yesterday ,  “better” than what exactly? I enjoy every day don’t you?
    @ChristWarrior

I always do...  you seemed really upset the other day and I just wanted to check and make sure you were feeling better....  Happy Debating!!!!

I  doubt that ........I see you spent your whole day yesterday running from questions so that “upset”  you talk about I think is you yet again talking about yourself as your posts all day yesterday clearly demonstrate how truly upset you were 
  • DeeDee 3865 Pts   -  
    @ChristWarrior

Provide proof of claim please,.... You seem to be projecting again.  Are you sure your still not really mad like you were the other day?  I felt really bad for you and maxx....not sure why you were both so angry and triggered.  Anyways I hope you are feeling better now.  I think im gonna make tacos for luch today!!   D D D

Proof of what ? It’s  there for all to see you failed 35 times to give even one reason for believing in your god and you still won’t

Ahhh you wish to inform the site of a private conversation hoping to appear to be the big guy seeing as you mention it do you also remember being given another warning and also admitting you were a dreadful debater ? 

I was going to have another Christian for dinner 
  • DeeDee 3865 Pts   -  
    @ChristWarrior

Great two reports for you 
  • mickygmickyg 335 Pts   -  
    I READ THE BIBLE COVER TO COVER ONCE PLUS I READ THE NEW TESTAMENT ANOTHER 3 TIMES
    THE GOSPELS ARE ANONYMOUS
    PAUL NEVER SAYS JESUS IS GOING TO RETURN

HOW DOES ONE GET JESUS IS RETURNING

IF JESUS IS GOD ...HOW COME HE DID NOT KNOW WHEN THE END WOULD COME?   @ChristWarrior
    JES SAID HE DID NOT KNOW WHEN THE END WOULD COME

SHOULDN'T A GOD KNOW?
    king herod died in 4bc
    the census in luke took place in 6ad
    easy peasy   @ChristWarrior
    explain how the census in luke worked..

joseph and mary had to travel to the country they were born in to pay taxes

HOW did tax collector inform someone in a different country to travel home.......in 6CE
    NO PHONES...INTERNET....NO LAMP POSTS TO POST GOVERNMENT ORDERS......
    WHAT GOVERNMENT WOULD LET A CITIZEN PAY TAXES SOMEWHERE ELSE OR......DID THEY PAY TAX IN BOTH COUNTRIES?

HOW DID TAXCOLLECTOR ENSURE EVERYONE FROM DIFFERENT COUNTRY SHOWED UP?

A LITTLE test of self awareness for mister pidd...
    EXPLAIN THE CENSUS.....@ChristWarrior
  • TacoCatTacoCat 37 Pts   -   edited March 9
    "common sense mostly... When Jesus says He is the doorway to salvation, I dont actuaually beleive he is a wooden door with hinges"
    That mostly makes sense, but what about subtle things? For example, did Jesus actually raise the dead, or transmuting water, or create fish and bread from nothing, or are  these also a metaphor?

" So what do you think there are so many non atheists in the world?  Do you think atheist are just smarter than 6.5 billion people?"
    I think there are a lot of reasons that Christianity is so common, for example colonialism and patriarchy. A lot of atheists are really smart, but TBH I think that correlation does not equal causation. A lot of smart people are born in religious families then they grow out of it, which is sort of what happened to me.

There are not nearly as many Pagans as atheists or Christians, why should that mean that my beliefs are false?

"What proof do you have that atheism is the correct worldview? "
    As explained above I am a Pagan, not an atheist. I don't know which worldview is correct, but I don't think anyone can say which one is true or not.

(=^ω^=)
  • Starlord616Starlord616 358 Pts   -  
    @Cringe_Train 

Here are some stats id love to get your views on and where you fall in on these stas\ts

While about four-in-ten Christians (39%) say the Bible’s text is the word of God and should be taken literally, 36% say it should not be interpreted literally or express another or no opinion. A separate 18% of Christians view the Bible as a book written by men, not God.

In 2014, about four-in-ten Christians (42%) said reading the Bible or other religious materials is an essential part of what being Christian means to them personally. An additional 37% say reading the Bible is important but not essential to being a Christian, and 21% say reading the Bible is not an important part of their Christian identity.

While it might not be shocking to discover well over half (61%) of evangelical Christians have read the Bible from start to finish, it may be surprising that nearly one in six (18%) of people with a faith other than Christianity and about one in eleven (9%) people with no faith claimed to have done the same.

no.....i understand your fear.....but i will chase you around ..no prob...@ChristWarrior
    I thought there were some Christians who thought the resurrection was a metaphor, rather than something literal. Don't some have a view like Jordan Peterson does, where the bible is all metaphor and the Jesus story is true not because it actually happened, but because of the profound metaphorical meaning? Or am I misunderstanding that?

"No It doesnt mean your beliefs are false.. just means no one is buying the atheist  arrgument for being atheist.  Makes you wonder why not..."
    I don't think that makes any sense, because at one point most people believed the world was flat, but that doesn't mean that the world was actually flat at one point.

On another note I remember reading an article a while ago about how people in free democratic societies are leaving religion because they just grew out of it. I remember it because it described me perfectly. Do you have any thoughts on that or know anything about this?
    famous church father IRENAEUS wrote in 175 that jesus died of old age with his family in asia.....

this is the same IRENAEUS quoted for 1800 years as early proof of gospel names..........in the same book

SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN????????????????/

WELL IF JESUS DIDN'T DIE UNTIL AGE 50 THAN he was not talking about present day gospels ..../@ChristWarrior
    how come jesus did not know when the end would come?...@ChristWarrior
  • mickygmickyg 335 Pts   -   edited March 9
    modern technology has shown many "epistles" to be forgery......@ChristWarrior
    "Times have changed quite a bit since then.. would you not agree?   if they are still leaving at the peak of the informational age when information is so accessable  thats a major problem for atheism"

I will have to find the article later, but if I remember correctly people are leaving religion because of the internet and freedom of information. I remember the opposite of what you seem to be saying here.

Anyways, you would just be following the crowd to go with the majority anyways.

"Never heard anything about it but there are many  very highly highly educated scientists that beleive and support  Biblical creation...So if they beleive it.. must be a reason why."

There are also many atheists scientists who say the bible is not true, and even more who say that science and religion are not the same fields, where science tells you what is true, and religion tells you what is right.
    2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
    2PETER.

MORE DOUBT FROM FORGED 2 PETER IN SECOND CENTURY

HERESIE?......IN PETES TIME WHO COULD POSSIBLY HAVE SEEN THE SUN GO DARK FOR THREE HOURS AND not have been a believer

just who haffy????...@ChristWarrior
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2004 Pts   -   edited March 9

In a manner of speaking, you are definitely right!

The Clergy Project was launched in March 2011 to create a safe and secure Online Community of Forums composed entirely of religious leaders who no longer hold to supernatural beliefs. Many of our project participants have deep privacy concerns, and for that reason, we place your security among our top tier of priorities. Identify yourself with a pseudonym and an avatar image if you prefer. And our private-access website is held secure with air-tight features to make sure your anonymity is in the best of hands. 

In our Online Community of Forums, participants come from a wide range of religious and cultural backgrounds, including Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Scientology, and more than thirty different segments of Christianity. Our participants reside in all fifty states in the USA and over forty different countries around the globe and come from varied perspectives of culture and lifestyle. Approximately one-fourth of Clergy Project participants are currently employed in their religious vocation with approximately three-fourths having transitioned out.

https://clergyproject.org/

This guy in the following video definitely became an Atheist after he read the Bible thoroughly.

Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation. Matthew 23:36
        Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Matthew 24:34

SO WHERE IS HE?...@ChristWarrior

• @ZeusAres42 ; thats because he was never a christian to begin with.  We call them fslse converts... unfortunately many of those out there.. especially in the democrat party

Happy_KillbotDeePlaffelvohfen

I couldn't find the original article I saw a few years ago, but I did a little research and it does seem to be the case that religion is in a steady decline in privileged countries, while it is growing in developing ones.

It seems that at least in wealthy countries that people are leaving religion. However, this is more than compensated for by the rise in religion in developing countries, especially in Africa and SE Asia:

While this doesn't necessarily undermine what you said before, it does add some complexity. If what you are trying to argue is that people are leaving atheism for Christianity, then it seems you are wrong based on the numbers in privileged countries. But you are right to say that Christianity is growing overall mostly in developing countries.
    Happy_KillbotDee
    @ChristWarrior ;

Reading the bible in its entirety as an atheist is sort of a badge of honor, because it's telling the world that "I have reviewed the evidence in full, and hereby make my judgement: that this book is guilt of all charges: lies, deceit, manipulation, and absurdity. I hereby condemn this text to be considered as what it is and always has been: a fairy tale."
    mickyg

• @Happy_Killbot these are a few verses from the Quran. Still think its a peaceful religion
    Surah 3:151: “We shall cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve (all non-Muslims) ...”

Surah 2:191: “And kill them (non-Muslims) wherever you find them ... kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers (non-Muslims).”

Surah 9:5: “Then kill the disbelievers (non-Muslims) wherever you find them, capture them and besiege them, and lie in wait for them in each and every ambush ...”

• @Happy_Killbot these are a few verses from the Quran. Still think its a peaceful religion
    Surah 3:151: “We shall cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve (all non-Muslims) ...”

Surah 2:191: “And kill them (non-Muslims) wherever you find them ... kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers (non-Muslims).”

Surah 9:5: “Then kill the disbelievers (non-Muslims) wherever you find them, capture them and besiege them, and lie in wait for them in each and every ambush ...”

• @ZeusAres42 ; so truth is a fallacy???   I guess to atheisrts it is and explains why they are losing he debate  LOL

DeePlaffelvohfen

If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die." -- Dt.13:6-10
    ___________________________________________________________________2 Chronicles 15..... @ConservativeGirl0519
    all three muslim verses out of context
    2:190 Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors.
    2:191 And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers

do you know what context is?

what does 2.190 say ? @ConservativeGirl0519
  • Qasim04820Qasim04820 39 Pts   -  
    I just feel as if Christians are not into the scriptures as much. The average age for a Muslim to not only read but memorize the whole Qur'an is like 10-12 years old. People assume that we are forced to do so but it's such a enjoyable experience to memorize such a Glorious Book. What could be the reason that the Christian Youth are not as determined as other religions in regards to learning and practicing more of their religion?  
  • Qasim04820Qasim04820 39 Pts   -   edited March 10
    @ConservativeGirl0519 The Verse of The Sword is by far one of the most used arguments against Islam. In order to understand this verse you need to understand the context, time and location of when this verse was revealed. The first point that needs to be made is that not everything in the Qur'an is always an instruction to all Muslims but rather records of history that are meant to be lessons that we can learn from. This verse is one of those records of history. The second point is that the time this verse was revealed, Prophet Muhammad along with his followers were being persecuted, beaten and downright slaughtered to a horrendous degree. Even though, this was taking place Allah did not allow the Muslims to fight back and they endured this torment. Finally, one day Allah reveals the Verse of the Sword, saying that Muslims may fight the disbelievers where they stand. Notice, this is not authorization to attack but rather to defend. I mean if you believe that Allah was going to let the Muslims be annihilated from the face of the Earth  then you are seriously wrong. The lesson to be learned is to endure patiently and know that Allah is the Owner of Justice. I bet if you witnessed the injustice done against the Muslims you would have wished this verse to be revealed sooner. Ask any more questions and please use Islamic sources if you have questions on Islam.
  • IBelieveIBelieve 66 Pts   -  
    @Cringe_Train, yes, of course, what would like to not believe then  ?
  • IBelieveIBelieve 66 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42 ; so  ??