frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Define Free Will (What exactly is it?)

Debate Information

What I have noticed is that numerous people have various interpretations of what Free Will actually is, even at the public intellectual debate level. Take the following video for example where Bret Weinstein believes that Sam Harris is actually talking about something else when he talks about Free Will.

Btw, if you want to see an in-depth video of these two great debaters conversing on topics such as Free Will you can see it here:

I haven't watched this yet but will do it shortly. However, after just watching someone else's take on some bits of the video things such as Free Will and Determinism are discussed.

Now, before I give my own take on Free Will one thing I can say for sure is that this isn't something that has been empirically answered and may not be for some time to come. And thus, it seems we are still left within the realms of philosophy where often there ends up being far more questions than answers!

Now my take is that first that I am a little puzzled as to why some people, including some scientists apparently that are still under the assumption that everything is predetermined. It was not long after Einstein (who was a determinist btw) that Heisenberg came along and demonstrated the Uncertainty principle

Uncertainty principle, also called Heisenberg uncertainty principle or indeterminacy principle, statement, articulated (1927) by the German physicist Werner Heisenberg, that the position and the velocity of an object cannot both be measured exactly, at the same time, even in theory. The very concepts of exact position and exact velocity together, in fact, have no meaning in nature. https://www.britannica.com/science/uncertainty-principle
And thus it appears that the idea of determinism is kind of outdated now, also as more modern-day Theoretical Pychicsts talk about indeterminism.

So, in this particular sense, due to there always being the wild card it could be argued that we are in some sense free. Well, at least from a deterministic universe anyway ;) I also resonate with this indeterminism as to concede determinism feels like we're somehow conceding that there is some external single entity controlling us which we might as well either call God or a controller controlling us in a simulation. And that is just something I cannot do haha.

Furthermore, I also think the idea of free will is often conflated with the idea that we have the freedom to be able to consciously choose what actions we take which are of course based on external factors working in tandem with internal factors, with being able to freely chose the external factors that we end up being surrounded by. Or as a famous philosopher once said, "Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

What's your take?
NomenclaturePlaffelvohfen

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments