Why is religion relevant/irrelevant to our moral society as a whole? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why is religion relevant/irrelevant to our moral society as a whole?

Debate Information

I think religion is relevant because it has taught our society for many generations, and has shaped our moral identity in a community. But I do agree that there is a universal "moral" right in our society, and it doesn't need a religion to uphold what is taught.
Debater123

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5193 Pts   -  
    @efmarsch ;

Religion hasn't been a major player in our moral values for decades, anymore the assertion that it does is mostly an illusion. Our culture is much more shaped by the media than by any organized religion.

Furthermore, I don't think it is safe to say that there is a universal moral right in our or any society, although authoritarian regimes often try to force one.
    efmarsch
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • efmarschefmarsch 9 Pts   -   edited March 18
    @efmarsch ;

Religion hasn't been a major player in our moral values for decades, anymore the assertion that it does is mostly an illusion. Our culture is much more shaped by the media than by any organized religion.
    Thanks, that sums it up nicely. Although I would like to suggest that every culture has a different interpretation of morality in their society, and that is supplemented by their religion (Catholicism, Islamism, etc.)
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5193 Pts   -  
    @efmarsch ;

Many cultures are secular and don't have a serious religious component.
    ZeusAres42AlofRI
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • DeeDee 4385 Pts   -   edited March 18
    I think religion is relevant because it has taught our society for many generations, and has shaped our moral identity in a community. 

By moral identity you have to allow that in times past and even now religion is used to victimize , bully and discriminate others who are not religious , I’m afraid I find the American version of Christianity for one to be pretty aggressive and intolerant

I have a female friend in the US  when she moved into an apartment her christian neighbors were very kind to her and her son , a month later they found out about her being lesbian her car was vandalized and she got a brick through her front window with the message ( god hates you on it ) she lost her job and moved as her son got hospitalized by being beaten by “Christian “ school friends for his mum being lesbian 

She moved state and pretends to be christian to protect her son and herself and of course all her christians neighbor's love her this is not a case in isolation sadly it happens all the time Americans in a poll admitted they would sooner vote for a rapist than an Atheist pretty tragic really 

I do agree that there is a universal "moral" right in our society, and it doesn't need a religion to uphold what is taught.

I disagree there is no universal moral right , religion to me is a tool that has being used to discriminate, isolate and bully others from its first inception, it’s still used this way as in a them and us attitude and seems to be tearing the US apart 

• NomenclatureNomenclature 626 Pts   -  
    efmarsch said:
    I think religion is relevant because it has taught our society for many generations, and has shaped our moral identity in a community. But I do agree that there is a universal "moral" right in our society, and it doesn't need a religion to uphold what is taught.
    I would have to agree (albeit reluctantly) that religion is relevant because the vast majority of the population is religious. This is especially true in America where -- according to the last stats I read -- 89 percent believe in some form of "higher power". 

I don't agree that there is any such thing as a universal moral right or wrong because this can be refuted simply by examining the wide moral disparities in various historical cultures. For example, the Aztecs made regular human sacrifices, the Celtic druids used to cannibalise corpses and paedophilia was rampant in Ancient Greece. Even today the cultural differences regarding morality are evident.
  • mickygmickyg 349 Pts   -  
    which religion has taught morality by example of its tenet  @efmarsch
  • LiamThePersonLiamThePerson 630 Pts   -  
    Homer said:
    @mickyg ; our society is far from moral...Here is a question for you.  If your car broke down in a shady part of town, would you rather run into a group of 10 Christians leaving a church, or 10 atheist gang members leaving a bar?
    Would you prefer 10 Secular Humanists leaving a lecture on physics or 10 Christian gang members leaving a bar? Your question is completely skewed, as is the one I just presented as a demonstration.
  • Keal192NXQ2Keal192NXQ2 246 Pts   -  
    @Homer If you're gonna be biased, then I'll be biased. 10 Atheist gang members for the win, no cap.  ;)
    ZeusAres42mickygAlofRI
  • mickygmickyg 349 Pts   -  
    atheist gang members have self awareness
    christians universally lack this....@Homer
  • I think empathy is the universal component of all morality.
    mickygLiamThePersonNomenclatureHappy_KillbotAlofRI

• SwolliwSwolliw 1209 Pts   -  
    @efmarsch
    I quite agree with you, there is no doubt that religion has shaped society although nowhere near as much nowadays in modern civilised society. I think religious zealots should try to understand that religion does not have a copyright over morals and that many of their morals are based on primitive, draconian principals that have absolutely no relevance today and in fact would be considered offensive by most people, for example, homophobia, euthanasia, abortion.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1612 Pts   -   edited March 27

Why is religion relevant/irrelevant to our moral society as a whole?

Religion is largely irrelevant to the realm of morals, because the capacity to be moral has nothing to do with beliefs held about religions. Of course, some people do get their morals from religion, but then they are not morals due to a subjective decision by the person who holds those morals to be true. People who get their morals from religiosity are only being told by someone else: their morals are not their own.
    DeeAlofRI
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 295 Pts   -   edited April 17
    When you take the morals of God out of the United States, you have things like abortion and killing of a baby even at birth; you have biological men pretending to be women and even going against women in sports and using their restrooms; you go against morals from God then you have no respect for the government, and you "defund" those who enforce the law instead of teaching them to be better; you have no laws for borders; you protect criminals by not deporting them and you give them sanctification; you also lie, a lot, and pretend it is okay for the greater cause, etc.
    Oh how I love the Word of God!
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1472 Pts   -  
    Religion is NOT relevant to society "as a whole". It is only relevant to those who believe in that particular religion. "Society" has THEIR morals, religions have theirs. Religions demand that their morals be followed ONLY where they are totally or powerfully relevant, where they are not, the common sense of "our moral society" rules.