What "signs" does Paul the Apostle give (actual events or prophecy)? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

What "signs" does Paul the Apostle give (actual events or prophecy)?

Debate Information

PAUL THE APOSTLE WROTE THAT JEWS REQUIRE SIGNS TO ACCEPT HIS PERSONAL REVELATIONS. WHAT "SIGNS" DOES PAUL GIVE (ACTUAL EVENTS OR PROPHECY)?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• KhasimAmeduKhasimAmedu 89 Pts   -  
    The New Testament had over 39 authors written over the span of 6 centuries. There's bound to be inconsistencies so I don't understand how someone could deem the Bible reliable in anyway.
  • mickygmickyg 335 Pts   -  
    the gospels are anonymous and don't appear in history until 160ad  
    PAUL THE APOSTLE DOES NOT MENTION SUPPOSED MIRACLES BECAUSE AS IS SEEN WITH PETERS ARREST AND RELEASE ,THEY NEVER HAPPENED...

NOT YELLING...JUST TYPING WITH ONE FINGER ....@KhasimAmedu
    Wait are you talking that one miracle when Jesus pbuh died on the cross and the zombies roamed the streets of Jerusalem? Because that fits this category.
    DON'T FORGET THE SUN GOING OUT FOR THREE HOURS
    WALKING ON WATER
    RAISING LAZARUS FROM THE DEAD
    HUGE EARTHQUAKE CAUSING GRAVES TO OPEN
    MIRACLES/SIGNS
    PAUL SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THESE MYTHS....

• SwolliwSwolliw 786 Pts   -  
    @mickyg
    Irrespective of what signs or prophesies that any great sage may give, they are no more than showmanship by hoodwinking common people into believing them.
    There is no such thing as prophesies.
    TreeMan
    @Swolliw

There is no such thing as prophecies.

I respectfully disagree with this statement, as the Prophet Muhammad has made prophecies which are evident today. It's also worth to note that the Prophet was illiterate, and could not have read or written any source. 
    yes..there is no such thing as prophecy
    but a personal revelation is real to a mentally ill lunatic...
    everything about paul's story is personal revelation as he says many times
    he literally said jesus was not on earth....@Swolliw
    yes..there is no such thing as prophecy
    but a personal revelation is real to a mentally ill lunatic...
    everything about paul's story is personal revelation as he says many times
    he literally said jesus was not on earth....@Swolliw
    name one prophecy @KhasimAmedu
  • SwolliwSwolliw 786 Pts   -  
    @KhasimAmedu
    I respectfully disagree with this statement, as the Prophet Muhammad has made prophecies which are evident today.

Muhammad did not make one single prophecy that is evident today and it is very telling that you could not cite even one prophecy.
    mickyg
    WHEN ARE YOU GONNA TELL US ABOUT A MIRACLE

PLEASE PICK SPLITTING THE MOON IN HALF

LiamThePerson
    @mickyg ; @Swolliw

Prophecies are simply predictions of the future that are miraculous in nature, especially for a Prophet that was unable to read or write.

Here's a video listing some of his prophecies, and no malicious intent is involved I only believe this video does a good job of explaining his prophecies. Feel free to disagree with the explanations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZIqd_-1Zus&t=69s

I AM NOT WATCHING A YOUTUBE VIDEO
    I HAVE A QURAN.....SHOW A PROPHECY
    QUIT RUNNING....@KhasimAmedu
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PROPHECY
    AS SEEN BY YOUR RUNNING FROM ENGAGEMENT....@KhasimAmedu
    @mickyg

I AM NOT WATCHING A YOUTUBE VIDEO

Seems your scared, understandable. 

COWARD..@KhasimAmedu
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 135 Pts   -  

The New Testament is of very special times, to say the least. God through Jesus Christ gives salvation to us, and God testified to the message by allowing the message givers to do signs, wonders and various miracles,  (Hebrews 2:3,4). 

Hebrews 2:3 how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him.
    4 God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Acts 14:3 So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to perform signs and wonders.

Mark 16:20 Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.

1 John 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched--this we proclaim concerning the Word of life.

Luke 1:2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word.

Hebrews 2:3 how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him.

Ephesians 2:19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God's people and also members of his household,
    20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.

Miracles helped people to believe.  However, some people believed even without a miracle and sign given.

Oh how I love the Word of God!
    mickyg said: PAUL THE APOSTLE WROTE THAT JEWS REQUIRE SIGNS TO ACCEPT HIS PERSONAL REVELATIONS. WHAT "SIGNS" DOES PAUL GIVE (ACTUAL EVENTS OR PROPHECY)? @mickyg

The New Testament is of very special times, to say the least. God through Jesus Christ gives salvation to us, and God testified to the message by allowing the message givers to do signs, wonders and various miracles,  (Hebrews 2:3,4). 

Signs were things like people speaking to where others in different languages all understood in their own many different languages.  Miracles were instant healing and raising people to life.

Miracles helped some people believe.  

Some people believed what the apostles said even without seeing any sign or miracle.  

you said===God through Jesus Christ===
    so jesis is NOT god?
    you said====Some people believed what the apostles said even without seeing any sign or miracle===

ALL CHRISTIANS believe in jesus even though not one eyewitness account of jesus exists...

as you know the gospels are anonymous....@TrueLove
    mickyg said:
    you said===God through Jesus Christ===
    so jesis is NOT god?

@mickyg 

Jesus is God.  Jesus is God come as a man.  Jesus is what God did for us.  We have to go through the Way, the path that God made for us to go though, Jesus Christ.

mickyg said: you said====Some people believed what the apostles said even without seeing any sign or miracle===ALL CHRISTIANS believe in jesus even though not one eyewitness account of jesus exists...as you know the gospels are anonymous....

@mickyg

I am speaking of the time of the New Testament---some people needed the signs and miracles before they would believe, and some people believed without the signs and miracles.

What do you mean the gospels are anonymous?  The gospels are written by eyewitnesses.  

IF JESUS IS GOD did he know at creation that i would ask you this question?
    well this is exciting
    please show where any gospel identifies the writer...@TrueLove
    mickyg said:
    IF JESUS IS GOD did he know at creation that i would ask you this question?
    Sure why not?

mickyg said: well this is excitingplease show where any gospel identifies the writer...@TrueLove @mickyg

We see that Tertius wrote Romans for Paul.

Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God— 

Romans 16:22 I, Tertius, who wrote down this letter, greet you in the Lord.

Here we see that Paul wrote Corinthians in his own hand.

1 Corinthians 16:21 I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand.

Paul tells us in Galatians that he wrote that letter with his own hand.

Galatians 6:11 See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hand!

Paul says in Colossians that he wrote it with his own hand.

Colossians 2:6 I , Paul, write this greeting in my own hand.  Remember my chains.  Grace be with you.

Paul wrote 2 Thessalonians with his own hand.

2 Thessalonians 3:17 I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand, which is the distinguishing mark in all my letter.  This is how I write.

Some of the  Books and Letters tell us who did the writing.  
    I just gave instances explaining many of the writings from Paul.
    I hope that helps.
    ya...so please show an eyewitness account of jesus
    as you now know since you did not post a counter argument that the gospels are anonymous
    WOWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WELL PAUL DID NOT WRITE A GOSPEL......
    PLEASE DON'T RUN AWAY..@TrueLove
    DID JESUS KNOW HE WOULD BE ASKED WHEN THE END WOULD COME WHEN CREATION HAPPENED?@TrueLove

The gospels don't appear in history until 160AD..the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH admits they are anonymous..there were zero eyewitness accounts of jesus...@TrueLove
    mickyg said:
    ya...so please show an eyewitness account of jesus
    as you now know since you did not post a counter argument that the gospels are anonymous
    The Bible says eyewitnesses gave an account.  
    @mickyg
    The gospels don't appear in history until 160AD..the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH admits they are anonymous..there were zero eyewitness accounts of jesus.

The Bible are books and letters shared by the first Christians from the beginning.

WOWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    WELL PAUL DID NOT WRITE A GOSPEL......
    PLEASE DON'T RUN AWAY

Paul wrote the one and only gospel.

NO ONE EVEN MENTIONS A GOSPEL UNTIL 160AD
    NOT ONE CHURCH FATHER MENTIONS MARK,LUKE.MATTHEW UNTIL 130AD
    PLEASE SHOW PAULS GOSPE
    PAUL WROTE SEVERAL LETTERS CALLED EPISTLES...DUHHHHH @TrueLove
    SHOW where in any gospel who the writer is.....@TrueLove
    The gospels don't appear in history until 160AD..the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH admits they are anonymous..there were zero eyewitness accounts of jesus...

..THE CATHOLICS were the ONLY christians from near the start.until 1520...you HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE JESUS EXISTED....NOT ONE EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT...PAUL THE APOSTLE DOES NOT MENTION THE GOSPELS...@TrueLove
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 135 Pts   -   edited April 1
    mickyg said: The gospels don't appear in history until 160AD..the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH admits they are anonymous..there were zero eyewitness accounts of jesus.....THE CATHOLICS were the ONLY christians from near the start.until 1520...you HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE JESUS EXISTED....NOT ONE EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT...PAUL THE APOSTLE DOES NOT MENTION THE GOSPELS...@TrueLove @mickyg
    The scriptures are the books and letters sent to the first Christians.  That was way before the Catholic denomination came along. 

As for Paul, he wrote scripture about the one and only gospel.  I showed you this from the scriptures themselves. 

mickyg said: SHOW where in any gospel who the writer is.....@TrueLove @mickyg

I showed you  that the letters from Paul were written by Paul, and we can easily see that the letters from Peter were from Peter, and Jude from Jude, James from James.
    mickyg said: PLEASE SHOW PAULS GOSPEPAUL WROTE SEVERAL LETTERS CALLED EPISTLES...DUHHHHH @TrueLove @mickyg

Paul wrote the gospel.  I gave you scriptures that say so.

The earliest recorded evidence of the use of the term "Catholic Church" is the Letter to the Smyrnaeans that Ignatius of Antioch wrote in about 107 to Christians in Smyrna.

IRENAEUS wrote a book in 175 called "against heresies"

here is title of a chapter

AGAINST HERESIES
    BOOK 3
    Chapter 4 The truth is to be found nowhere else but in the Catholic Church, the sole depository of apostolic doctrine. Heresies are of recent formation, and cannot trace their origin up to the apostles.

CLEMENT
    PAPIAS
    POLYCARP
    IGNATIUS

ALL KNEW OF EACH OTHER and were all CATHOLIC

AGAIN....you conflate

UNIVERSALLY (EXCEPT YOU) when referencing a gospel we are refering to the GOSPELSof which there are 4
    they are called MARK...LUKE,,MATTHEW..JOHN...
    BUT THEY ARE anonymous

wow i never had to dumb this down this much before!!!!!!!!!!!!11 @TrueLove
    mickyg said: NO ONE EVEN MENTIONS A GOSPEL UNTIL 160ADNOT ONE CHURCH FATHER MENTIONS MARK,LUKE.MATTHEW UNTIL 130AD@TrueLove @mickyg

I don't think you are grasping the truth that the New Testament scriptures were books and letters to people alive at that time.  The books and letters were written to and read by the people at that time.

the oldest physical piece of a gospel is from 200ad
    the fitst mention of a gospel is justin martyr in 160ad
    that is called evidence
    i concede the year 160 to you

NOW if you have something i and the world want to see it...@TrueLove
    mickyg said: the oldest physical piece of a gospel is from 200adthe fitst mention of a gospel is justin martyr in 160adthat is called evidencei concede the year 160 to youNOW if you have something i and the world want to see it...@TrueLove @mickyg

The scriptures in the New Testament is about the gospel, and they are books and letters the first Christians read and believed in.  No one had to wait to have any denomination say they are scripture.  They were accepted as scripture from the beginning.  
    the gospels don't show up in history until 160ad
    catholic bishop and church father PAPIAS had no written gospel in 130ad
    the catholic church admits the four gospels are ANONYMOUS
    WHEN did your church start?   @TrueLove
    mickyg said:
    the gospels don't show up in history until 160ad
    catholic bishop and church father PAPIAS had no written gospel in 130ad
    The gospels are letters and books that showed up as they were written in the time they were written to the first Christians.  
    mickyg said: the catholic church admits the four gospels are ANONYMOUSWHEN did your church start?   @TrueLove @mickyg

It doesn't matter what the catholic church says.  

The books and letters were recognized as scripture from the beginning by the people who wrote them and the people who read them in their churches.

My church is the body of Christ.

well there was only catholics until 1520

ok show where anyone accepts the gospels before 160ad