Why do you believe God exists or Why do believe God doesn't exist? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

Why do you believe God exists or Why do believe God doesn't exist?

Debate Information

So, I would just like to ask the Theists and any of the nontheists among us what their reasons are for believing in God or their reasons for believing he doesn't exist. And then just to talk a bit about that.
TrueLoveAlofRI

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 1361 Pts   -  
    I think that is a very good question.  :astonished:
  • mickygmickyg 335 Pts   -  
    they have a brain in their heart area that tells them

atheists only have the one on top
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 135 Pts   -  

Because there is NO other name, in which we are given the chance to be saved.

Because God is the Creator of the Universe, there is no other logic.

Because I was not out to please my flesh, but my spirit within me longed for the Truth.

God’s love drew me to Him, and the hope of a better promise, the promise of being accepted by Him and to be called a child of His and to have another life after this one.

I finally did what God said to do, not only reading about it, then God saved me, opened my eyes.

AlofRIPlaffelvohfen
    Oh how I love the Word of God!
    jesus was not on earth
    as i already showed you
    PAUL said the name jesus was given after HIS CHRIST rose to heaven....
    Afterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    jesus said NOTHING ORIGINAL
    WHAT teachings did jesus use to convert you? @TrueLove
    mickyg said:
    jesus was not on earth
    as i already showed you
    PAUL said the name jesus was given after HIS CHRIST rose to heaven....
    Afterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    That sounds nonsensical to me.  I have no idea what you are talking about.
    AlofRI
    mickyg said: jesus said NOTHING ORIGINALWHAT teachings did jesus use to convert you? @TrueLove @mickyg

Jesus offers a relationship with God, and promises a better life for eternity.
    allah offers paradise..@TrueLove
    please show verse where jesus offers a relationship with god  @TrueLove
    PHILLIPIANS
    2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
    2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
    2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
    2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father 

WHEN IS JESUS GIVEN THE NAME JESUS
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 120 Pts   -   edited April 4
    God exists! He is in your heart, in your every breath and your surroundings. He is everywhere. 
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1385 Pts   -   edited April 4
    @BonitaVanhooser
    God exists! He is in your heart, in your every breath and your surroundings. He is everywhere. 
    Why do you think he exists? Is it just a sense or feeling you get? Or have you directly observed his existence?
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 120 Pts   -   edited April 4
    @xlJ_dolphin_473

Honestly, I observed. I always complaints about so many things to him in life but later I notice it was important for me. Like if I don't lose a few opportunities or things in life then how I get the better ones. I recognized him from breaking of my own plans. Hundreds of things that happened in my life were not in my plan. But it was his plan.

Also, several times when I requested for help only from him, he responded and helped. I am not saying atheist are bad people. I am just telling my belief. 
    what happens to god when someone gets an ARTIFICIAL HEART?
    OakTownA
    Which god is your god?Christians have three....jews one..muslims one...muslims believe in jesus who never existed...I can't disprove all gods but disproving christianity is easy...and then islam topples as well...@BonitaVanhooser
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 120 Pts   -  
    mickyg said:
    I am referring heart in a spiral sense, not as a body part. 
    @mickyg What you will do with this info :D ?

no you christians actually think logic can be overridden by your feelings..
    and many of you have heart of hearts.......more than one heart...@BonitaVanhooser
    if god is everywhere than he is here in my den
    nope don't see him...
    easy peasy
    if god is everywhere than he is inside of time and space and can be detected
    so why can't he be detected...@BonitaVanhooser
    mickyg said:
    no you christians actually think logic can be overridden by your feelings..
    and many of you have heart of hearts.......more than one heart...@BonitaVanhooser
    Christians? Anyways, I think I wrote in a poetic manner.
    are you christian?
    @mickyg It doesn't matter but I believe. Religion forum is very active nowadays. Wow!
    well as you know the gospels are anonymous and don't show up in history until 160ad...@BonitaVanhooser
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2004 Pts   -   edited April 4

Because there is NO other name, in which we are given the chance to be saved.

Because God is the Creator of the Universe, there is no other logic.

Because I was not out to please my flesh, but my spirit within me longed for the Truth.

God’s love drew me to Him, and the hope of a better promise, the promise of being accepted by Him and to be called a child of His and to have another life after this one.

I finally did what God said to do, not only reading about it, then God saved me, opened my eyes.

Ok, let's try this another way. How did you come to believe in God? I am more interested in why you believe in God, How you came to believe in him. I am not interested in who you think God is at this stage.

Was it reading the Bible? Was it going to Church? What is it that influenced you?

• I've edited the OP to include those that believe God doesn't exist. While there are people that simply just don't have a belief that God exists there are others that believe he doesn't exist. And I would just like to see more of each party's point of view.

• Starlord616Starlord616 358 Pts   -  
    mickyg said:
    they have a brain in their heart area that tells them

atheists only have the one on top
    The question was about you, not the other side 
    god cannot stand scrutiny
    as soon as things get tough the gods move to existing outside time and space
    nothing exists outside of time and space...@Starlord616
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 135 Pts   -   edited April 5
    mickyg said:
    allah offers paradise..@TrueLove
    The Islamic religion does not say you can have the Spirit of God now.
    mickyg said: please show verse where jesus offers a relationship with god  @TrueLove @mickyg

2 Corinthians 5:20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.

John 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
    mickyg said: PHILLIPIANS2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father  WHEN IS JESUS GIVEN THE NAME JESUS@TrueLove @mickyg
    Jesus was given the name Jesus for his life as a human.

Luke 1:31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.

mickyg said: well as you know the gospels are anonymous and don't show up in history until 160ad...@BonitaVanhooser @mickyg

The New Testament scriptures were by letter and books right from the beginning. We can see in 2 Peter 3:15-16 Peter recognizes what Paul writes as scripture.

2 Peter 3:15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.  He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters.  His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Again, the believers from the beginning used these books and letters from the start.  That is what determined these books as scripture.  The New Testament writings were written in the First Century and used before Catholics came along.

Much of the New Testament is letters from the apostles to the churches, and the apostles commanded the churches to share the letters.

Colossians 4:16 After this letter has been read to you, see that it is also read in the church of the Laodiceans and that you in turn read the letter from Laodicea.

1 Thessalonians 5:27 I charge you before the Lord to have this letter read to all the brothers and sisters.

Again, the believers from the beginning used these books and letters from the start. That is what determined these books as scripture.

Why you can't grasp that and think that the New Testament writings weren't around until the 160 ad is just not so.

ZeusAres42 said: @TrueLove ;  Because there is NO other name, in which we are given the chance to be saved. Because God is the Creator of the Universe, there is no other logic. Because I was not out to please my flesh, but my spirit within me longed for the Truth. God’s love drew me to Him, and the hope of a better promise, the promise of being accepted by Him and to be called a child of His and to have another life after this one. I finally did what God said to do, not only reading about it, then God saved me, opened my eyes. Ok, let's try this another way. How did you come to believe in God? I am more interested in why you believe in God, How you came to believe in him. I am not interested in who you think God is at this stage. Was it reading the Bible? Was it going to Church? What is it that influenced you? @ZeusAres42

Well I did hear about God early on, since my parents were Catholic and took me to church  ever since I was about 2 months old, and raised me in the Catholic denomination.  I read the Bible too, but didn't understand much of it.  I noticed many contradictory things about the Catholic denomination compared to the Bible,  but was sort of stuck with the Catholic denomination, until I was 24 years old when my mom was dying and the priest came late and she couldn't speak anymore and give her last confession.  It was the first time I ever saw my dad cry, he said it is his fault for not calling the church more and asking why the priest hasn't showed up.  See the Catholic denomination teaches that you have to say your last confession to a priest or you won't get to go to be with Jesus.  I said to my dad, "But we are Catholic."  I realized the Catholic denomination didn't know how a person was saved.  That night I told God that I wanted His Truth and not man's truth, not some religion's truth, and it was the beginning of my search for God's Truth.
    corinthians is paul not jesus GOOD GRIEF
    YES paul admits jesus was not on earth

later in 160ad when the unknown writer of luke writes paul and his christ are long gone...@TrueLove
    the catholics were the only christians until 1520ad
    so you deny christianity and its fake catholic gospels
    so do i
    if he is everywhere why can't he be detected or seen?

• mickygmickyg 335 Pts   -   edited April 5
    2 peter ..not written by peter comes from THIRD CENTURY......
     2 pete 1:16

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

this epistle admits that people called these nuts out
    THERE WAS DOUBT AND CHALLENGES FROM THE START...@TrueLove
    YOU WROTE: The New Testament scriptures were by letter and books right from the beginning.

YES you are starting to grasp reality

previously you said bible was one gospel

did THE VOICE EDUCATE YOU?
    OR WAS IT ME?

JUDE
    1PETER
    2 PETER
    OLDEST COPY
    FOURTH CENTURY
    WHAT????????????/
    TRY AGAIN
    YOUR VERSE SAYS NOTHING

please show verse where jesus offers a relationship with god

OH LUKE
    I LOVE THE ANONYMOUS GOSPEL CALLED LUKE....
    JOHN THE BAPTIST AND JEZUS ARE COUSINS.

first ..HOW did john escape the murder of all the babies by HEROD?
    HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW
    ITS SUCH A story
    OH LUKE
    I LOVE THE ANONYMOUS GOSPEL CALLED LUKE....
    JOHN THE BAPTIST AND JEZUS ARE COUSINS.

first ..HOW did john escape the murder of all the babies by HEROD?
    HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW
    ITS SUCH A silly story

John's first encounter with Jesus was while both of them were still in their mothers' wombs, at which time John, apparently recognizing his Saviour, leaped for joy (Luke 1:44). Much later, while John is baptizing, he refers to Jesus as "the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world", and "the Son of God" (John 1:29,36). Later still, John is thrown in prison from which he does not return alive. John's definite knowledge of Jesus as the son of God and saviour of the world is explicitly contradicted by Luke 7:18-23 in which the imprisoned John sends two of his disciples to ask Jesus, "Are you the one who is coming, or do we look for someone else?"
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1361 Pts   -  
    mickyg said:
    Then he goes to your head.
    but if you feel it in your heart....
    and you die and an atheist gets your heart
    what happens to atheist..@AlofRI @AlofRI
    AlofRI
    hey cousin are you the same guy that is my cousin

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW
    COUGH COUGH

OH NO A COUGH
    I WISH i was covered  by the blood of jeebus

mickyg said:
    corinthians is paul not jesus GOOD GRIEF
    The apostles were sent as Jesus was sent, and the apostles spoke the words of God.
    mickyg said:
    YES paul admits jesus was not on earth

later in 160ad when the unknown writer of luke writes paul and his christ are long gone...@TrueLove

@mickyg

No such thing what you are saying.
    mickyg said: 2 peter ..not written by peter comes from THIRD CENTURY......@TrueLove @mickyg

2 Peter is written by the apostle Peter and he did not live three hundred years.