Do you support banning puberty blockers? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

Do you support banning puberty blockers?

Debate Information

Yes. If a child has not reached puberty, they are to young to change their gender.
  1. Live Poll

Should puberty blockers be banned?

6 votes
    1. Yes.
      50.00%
    2. No.
      50.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NomenclatureNomenclature 569 Pts   -  
    Right buddy. 

Guns don't kill people. Puberty blockers do.

Sounds legit.  :#
    If you ban puberty blockers then you'll just take them away from the law-abiding citizens. Criminals will still be able to get them.

And how exactly do you plan on collecting all the puberty blockers which are already out there? Are people going to simply hand them over? Is that your plan?
  • all4acttall4actt 220 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature Puberty blockers, also called puberty inhibitors, are drugs used to postpone puberty in children. The most commonly used puberty blockers are gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonists, which inhibit the release of sex hormones, including testosterone and estrogen.

They also limit growth.They are only for children so why would prisoners have access to them or even use them?

@anarchist100

I agree with you.  I think anything that interferes with a child natural growth should not be used.
    ZeusAres42
    @all4actt
    They also limit growth.They are only for children so why would prisoners have access to them or even use them?

I think you'll find I said criminals, not prisoners. Why would criminals obey the law?

@all4actt

Another thing I think you are missing here is that puberty blockers can't ingest themselves. They are just tools. It's the people who take puberty blockers that are the real problem.
  • Starlord616Starlord616 358 Pts   -  
    Yes. If a child has not reached puberty, they are to young to change their gender.
    do you actually understand what a puberty blocker is or does?
    first and foremost they pause puberty, not change the gender
    Nomenclature
  • I agree with the UK's ruling of this especially with respect to those prepubescent children I.E those under the age of 13 as it is highly doubtful that these children will be able to give informed consent. Children around this age group are still in a very early developmental stage of their life both physically and mentally. They are also impressionable, and they do not possess the ability to reason in the same way as older children let alone adults.

Things do tend to get a little bit more complicated as children go from pubescent to post-pubescent and then to eventual adulthood. However, a recent UK ruling has been that Parents can consent to under 16's to have puberty blockers without applying for approval from a Judge.

Nonetheless, when it comes to cases like this I think the child's physical and psychological welfare should take precedence over all other matters. And conclusions should be drawn from the best medical and scientific advice available at the time.

• all4acttall4actt 220 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature

I think it is more the parents that make the decision to allow their childs growth to be inhibited and stunted that are the problem.
  • Debater123Debater123 500 Pts   -   edited April 6
    @anarchist100 I'd say that they should be legal, it is within a person's bodily rights to do such things. But that still doesn't mean that I am necessarily for them, I personally find the idea very unnerving in blocking a child's development in that way, and I am very much against it.

Ultimately, I believe the choice should be in the hands of the parents or guardians, rather than the child.
  • anarchist100anarchist100 447 Pts   -   edited April 6
    @Debater123
    So the parents should have the right to change their child's gender if they wish?

• This decision should be based on a team of medical professionals that have evaluated the health of the child and that of the parent/s. At least generally speaking. If a consultant says that it would not be in the best interest of a child then parents should adhere to that medical advice.

• MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 791 Pts   -   edited April 7
    @Nomenclature

I guess you think your funny by comparing the puberty blocker argument to the gun argument but theres a couple factors your leaving out...the different rights we give adults compared to children.

Also if a criminal gets a gun they hold power over citizens who are not allowed to own one.  Puberty blocker don't have that effect.

I guess we should allow children to make whatever decisions they want regardless of the consequence it has on their life.  Hard Core drugs... I guess you'll let children take them.
    We should let them drop out of school if they want, and at this point might as well treat them like adults and make them responsible for all their actions.
  • Debater123Debater123 500 Pts   -  
    @anarchist100 You can't really change a person's gender by blocking puberty, that just stunts their growth, you can be male or female before and after puberty.
    @MichaelElpers
    I guess you think your funny by comparing the puberty blocker argument to the gun argument 

Well, I won't deny that I do enjoy exposing the lamentable hypocrisy of the American far right, which appears to believe smoking plants is a bigger threat than arming all the crazy people with semi-automatic weapons.

Also, the word you need is "you're". I've never understood why some adults can't grasp the basics of English.

That said, I believe I do have a good understanding of why these adults always tend to be on the American far right.

but theres a couple factors your leaving out.

Sigh...

the different rights we give adults compared to children.

Look buddy, when you arm everybody then you put children in just as much danger as adults. Children aren't immune to bullets. I am not impressed that you have given children the right to get killed by adults armed with guns. 

Also if a criminal gets a gun they hold power over citizens 

Your fallacy is very clear to everybody with even a semi-functional brain. I do not have to be a criminal to be a danger to other people. This gets proven every day in a different mass shooting, but nincompoops like you will continue endlessly to construct new fallacies to justify the unjustifiable. 

CYDdharta
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 791 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature

I'm not going to get in a full gun debate on this thread so we don't derail the actual conversation.

I haven't seen your argument for why it is a good idea to allow children to permanently impact their life when they cannot comprehend what they are doing as well as the majority changing their minds when they get older.
    Debater123