Have You Ever Been Conned?
Back To Top
We all have at one time or another. I recently got scammed doing a transaction on eBay and even though I can blame the perpetrators till the cows come home, really I had nobody to blame but myself for falling into such a con.
Now, let's take a look at religious preachers and back-yard second-hand car dealers, for example. On the face of it, these two "pillars of society" are poles apart in their ideals and what they do. But are they and how are they similar?
* Both have a certain way of dressing. The shonky car seller will be wearing white shoes, gold chains and slicked back hair whilst the preacher may be wearing a starched collar or gown.
* Both will be grinning ear to ear and pour out the charm to anyone they meet in order to curry favor.
* Both will have an ulterior motive for befriending people and such people will normally be naive, gullible, impressionable or weak.
* Both are peddling products that are questionable and will inevitably lead to the victim being "had".
* Both will knowingly lie to their victims. The car seller will no doubt lie about the vehicle milage whilst the preacher will knowingly lie about the presence of God and how life began.
* Both have their devious ways to "lock-in" customers. The car seller will make up a story that another person is on his way to buy the car or that "this price" will not last. The preacher of course, is much worse and devious in his tactics at luring and keeping his "customers". He will concoct a story that if you don't believe what he tells you and if you don't buy his particular brand of religion, you will suffer eternal agony and suffering.
So, have you ever been religiously conned?
And, who do you blame?