Have You Ever Been Conned? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

Have You Ever Been Conned?

Debate Information

We all have at one time or another. I recently got scammed doing a transaction on eBay and even though I can blame the perpetrators till the cows come home, really I had nobody to blame but myself for falling into such a con.

Now, let's take a look at religious preachers and back-yard second-hand car dealers, for example. On the face of it, these two "pillars of society" are poles apart in their ideals and what they do. But are they and how are they similar?

* Both have a certain way of dressing. The shonky car seller will be wearing white shoes, gold chains and slicked back hair whilst the preacher may be wearing a starched collar or gown.
  * Both will be grinning ear to ear and pour out the charm to anyone they meet in order to curry favor.
  * Both will have an ulterior motive for befriending people and such people will normally be naive, gullible, impressionable or weak.
  * Both are peddling products that are questionable and will inevitably lead to the victim being "had".
  * Both will knowingly lie to their victims. The car seller will no doubt lie about the vehicle milage whilst the preacher will knowingly lie about the presence of God and how life began.
  * Both have their devious ways to "lock-in" customers. The car seller will make up a story that another person is on his way to buy the car or that "this price" will not last. The preacher of course, is much worse and devious in his tactics at luring and keeping his "customers". He will concoct a story that if you don't believe what he tells you and if you don't buy his particular brand of religion, you will suffer eternal agony and suffering.

So, have you ever been religiously conned?
And, who do you blame?
JeffreyBlankenshipHappy_Killbot

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 1390 Pts   -  
    Firstly, I make up my mind to buy a car before I talk to a salesman. If he talks too much I go somewhere else and buy a different one. Secondly, I'm an Atheist. So, no.

That's not to say I've never been conned. It just means I've never been conned in THESE ways.  B)
  • JeffreyBlankenshipJeffreyBlankenship 190 Pts   -  
    @Swolliw. You have little experience my good sir. ;)
    Let's break this down from my experience:

1. That is a more traditional style. of dress more seen in catholic churches and baptist. It is that was to show respect to God. If you got to a dinner with the president, you dress nice as a sign of respect.

2. I've met many pastors who are having rough days and show it(my father included). The joy they do show is true joy that can only come from God.

3. Again my father being a pastor, I know and see his personal relationships. He is friends with many professional athletes due to the fact that he is the chaplain for a professional sports team. Hes friends with christians and non-christians. Many well educated ones too.

4. You only question God because you do not know him.

5. As christians we do not lie about God. Use logic, if someone believes something as true and thats all they know, that is truth to them. Same goes with christians.

6. Thats false doctrine and admittingly, yes some pastors are like that. It is sad. The true good ones are not based on denomination.

I've been conned by atheists.
    I blame no one except myself for almost believing your lies.
    TreeMan
  • anarchist100anarchist100 491 Pts   -  
    @Swolliw
    Yes. the whole world is a big scam.
  • TreeManTreeMan 190 Pts   -  
    Do u want to have a debate with any of the atheists here about the existence of god? Your debating skills are terrible. You provide no proof for anything you have stated. @JeffreyBlankenship
    They will all beat u BTW
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 605 Pts   -  
    @Swolliw
    Have You Ever Been Conned?

Sort of. I once lived at a place and didn't pay my rent for 4-5 months. All throughout this time the landlady was using emotional blackmail to try to get me to pay, telling me I was dishonest and dishonourable etc... Eventually I relented and decided to pay her close to £1500, only to discover she hadn't paid her mortgage for close to two full years!! Lol!!! The bank repossessed the house and I had to leave two months later.

I'm not sure what the moral of that story is. Maybe that, if you decide to be a douche, at least do it properly.

• SwolliwSwolliw 807 Pts   -  
    @JeffreyBlankenship

You may have been conned by atheists but was it because they were atheists? I think not.

People get conned by theists because those people are theists as I have already explained. Unfortunately, you failed to recognize the fact and introducing personal relationships (your father) to bolster an argument is indeed an unfair and dirty tactic.

I don 't even question God because there is no God to question and those who do "know" God are deluded:

Delusion: [dɪˈluːʒ(ə)n] NOUN an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

if someone believes something as true and thats all they know, that is truth to them. 

.......but that is not the truth to others. It is either lies or delusion, or both. 

The true good ones are not based on denomination.

This is (sadly) a common defense by many theists...."Oh yes but my religion (or denomination or preacher) is different to the others."

All religions are in common in that they promote ideals that are based on unproven assertions and contrived stories. In this day and age when everyone has full access to quality information and factual knowledge there is absolutely no excuse from those who preach to say, "this is what we believe is true". Nonsense: they are deliberately lying and deceiving their hapless victims through stealthily befriending them and plying the guilt and fear trip of being "saved".

@anarchist100
    Yes. the whole world is a big scam.

I know what you mean there although it is a bit negative to take the concept to such a limit. I get scammed every Friday night when I get ripped off over the cost of drinks but at least I (usually) have a good time.

I believe that if it weren't for those who are naive, gullible, impressionable and weak, there would be nobody to take advantage of them.

@TreeMan
    You provide no proof for anything you have stated.

Nor has any theist. So what?

You provided no proof of what you stated so, by your own standards, your debating skills are terrible.

Nevertheless, give me one example of anything you claim I stated without proof, and I will gladly provide such proof.

Your actually s t u p i d.I was replying to the Jeff guy, not u. @Swolliw
    Your actually s t u_p i-dwas replying to the Jeff guy, not u. @Swolliw
    @Nomenclature
    I'm not sure what the moral of that story is. Maybe that, if you decide to be a douche, at least do it properly.

Yep, that's a classic story all right. It's a bit like road rage really, it is always the guilty party who shouts the loudest. And the guilty party will always use dirty, personal tactics to (try to) get their way. 

• JeffreyBlankenshipJeffreyBlankenship 190 Pts   -  
    @TreeMan. A state truths and atheist deny. Therefore I can go no farther. 

and btw when it comes to debate, i am really good. Awards done lie...
  • So, have you ever been "religiously" conned?
    yes, I was religiously conned into believing a woman can be a President of the united states of America simply because she may be president of other things outside of things not held in constitutional union. 
    And, who do you blame?
    I blame myself, perjury is a complex crime, it must both be discovered and it must be provable in a court to merit a conviction. Even then people may decide to simply break a union of principles to justify the crime by not holding the legal precedent side of a constitutional union. Religiously conned is a description of a certain type of con in which a united state exists that is based around a publicly shared belief.
    S e x I s t?
    Why cant a woman be the president of the US? Women deserve equal rights. @John_C_87
  • TreeMan said:
    S e x I s t?
    Why cant a woman be the president of the US? Women deserve equal rights. @John_C_87
    Sexist? No.
    Why cant a woman be the Presdient of the United States of America? They cannot be president of the United States of America because I am presuming all women as innocent.
     Women deserve equal rights. Deserve? Women had equal opritunity to create all-women equal without prejudice or discrimination between all women in basic principle.
    @TreeMan
    Your actually s t u_p i-dwas replying to the Jeff guy, not u.

So what?

My post still stands....your debating skills are terrible as is your command of very basic English.

• @Swolliw

I get scammed every Friday night when I get ripped off over the cost of drinks
    This is not a con
    @John_C_87
    This is not a con

That's right. It's a scam, as I stated. And in any case, I used the quip tongue-in-cheek.

• SwolliwSwolliw 807 Pts   -   edited April 29
    @JeffreyBlankenship

You may have been conned by atheists but was it because they were atheists? I think not.

People get conned by theists because those people are theists as I have already explained. Unfortunately, you failed to recognize the fact and introducing personal relationships (your father) to bolster an argument is indeed an unfair and dirty tactic.

I don 't even question God because there is no God to question and those who do "know" God are deluded:

Delusion [dɪˈluːʒ(ə)n] NOUN an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

if someone believes something as true and thats all they know, that is truth to them. 

.......but that is not the truth to others. It is either lies or delusion, or both. 

The true good ones are not based on denomination.

This is (sadly) a common defense by many theists...."Oh yes but my religion (or denomination or preacher) is different to the others."

All religions are in common in that they promote ideals that are based on unproven assertions and contrived stories. In this day and age when everyone has full access to quality information and factual knowledge there is absolutely no excuse from those who preach to say, "this is what we believe is true". Nonsense: they are deliberately lying and deceiving their hapless victims through stealthily befriending them and plying the guilt and fear trip of being "saved".

• Swolliw said:
    @John_C_87
    This is not a con

That's right. It's a scam, as I stated. And in any case, I used the quip tongue-in-cheek.

You are scamming yourself in that condition you are not being scammed. lol.
    The drink is the only thing you are placing a fair value on and not the social environment to which you chose to place yourself. The irony here is the price of an alcoholic drink at any social gathering is or should be set by consideration people are responsible drinkers, not that you drink to become intoxicated. Tongue and cheek, got, just saying though.
    @John_C_87
    The irony here is the price of an alcoholic drink at any social gathering is or should be set by consideration people are responsible drinkers, not that you drink to become intoxicated.

Quite right and consider this......the place was down a back alley above a workshop, and it is doubtful that it ever has had a license. Outside, there were women leaning against the wall and the bartenders wore old string vest and nails through their noses and instead of a dance floor, they had a fighting ring. Now, I'm telling you that the prices they charged were nowhere near consistent with the social environment. 

Why did I choose to go into such a place, I hear you cry in your relentless search for the truth? 

Just don't go there, okay?

Now, there are probably two interpretations of that last sentence for your edification.

• @Swolliw
    I believe you got conned on E-bay.
    I believe you have been conned by alcohol.