Is the title Son of God a literal or metaphorical term? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

Is the title Son of God a literal or metaphorical term?

Debate Information

There are many instances in the Bible that God uses "son" to address people other than Jesus such as In Psalms 89:26–28, David calls God his father. God in turn tells David that he will make David his first-born and highest king of the earth. There are many more examples of this, so then I ask Christians why do you believe the Jesus is the actual Son of God?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• TrueLoveTrueLove 189 Pts   -  
    There are many instances in the Bible that God uses "son" to address people other than Jesus such as In Psalms 89:26–28, David calls God his father. God in turn tells David that he will make David his first-born and highest king of the earth. There are many more examples of this, so then I ask Christians why do you believe the Jesus is the actual Son of God?
    Jesus is the actual Son of God.  When a human has another come from them, it is called their son, or daughter.  Jesus came from God.  
    Oh how I love the Word of God!
  • SwolliwSwolliw 807 Pts   -  
    @TrueLove
    Jesus is the actual Son of God.  When a human has another come from them, it is called their son, or daughter.  Jesus came from God.  

Yet, the Bible tells us many times that we are all God's children:

Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

2 Corinthians 6:18  "And you shall be sons and daughters to Me,” Says the Lord Almighty.

Jesus Christ was no different to David Koresh and Jim Jones, who claimed to be the only son of God.

KhasimAmeduTreeMan
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 189 Pts   -   edited May 1
    Swolliw said:
    @TrueLove

Yet, the Bible tells us many times that we are all God's children:

Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

2 Corinthians 6:18  "And you shall be sons and daughters to Me,” Says the Lord Almighty.

Jesus Christ was no different to David Koresh and Jim Jones, who claimed to be the only son of God.

Christians are the adopted sons of God.  Jesus is the only begotten son of God.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Ephesians 1:5 he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—

As for David Koresh and Jim Jones---just because someone calls themselves a Christian, it doesn't mean they are.  
  • DeeDee 3940 Pts   -  
    @TrueLove

-just because someone calls themselves a Christian, it doesn't mean they are.  

Yet you keep calling yourself one ....LOL 
    TreeMan
    Dee said:
    @TrueLove

-just because someone calls themselves a Christian, it doesn't mean they are.  

Yet you keep calling yourself one ....LOL 
    If I went around killing people who didn't believe like me then you would know that something isn't right.
  • DeeDee 3940 Pts   -  
    @TrueLove

If I went around killing people who didn't believe like me then you would know that something isn't right

You obviously don’t know the history of Christianity do you?
    Dee said:
    @TrueLove

If I went around killing people who didn't believe like me then you would know that something isn't right

You obviously don’t know the history of Christianity do you?
    Just because someone calls themselves a Christian does not make them a Christian.
  • DeeDee 3940 Pts   -   edited May 1
    @TrueLove Just because someone calls themselves a Christian does not make them a Christian

Thats yet another in a long list of fallacious arguments from you, honestly you really need to think before you type  .... No true Scotsman, or appeal to purity, is an informal fallacy in which one attempts to protect their universal generalization from a counterexample in an ad hoc fashion by tautologically excluding the counterexample.

Owning and beating slaves you accept as perfectly fine as a Christian , 

TreeMan
  • SwolliwSwolliw 807 Pts   -   edited May 1
    @TrueLove
    As for David Koresh and Jim Jones---just because someone calls themselves a Christian, it doesn't mean they are.  

Come on now. That is not being very up front, is it?

It is clear for all to see...... I said, "Jesus Christ was no different to David Koresh and Jim Jones, who claimed to be the only son of God." It is a factual statement.

And, as for your deliberate sidetrack issue....by what criteria is one deemed to be a Christian?

And, by the same (diversionary) token, Jesus was a Christian, was he? In other words, did he follow himself?......He must have had a long tail.

KhasimAmeduTreeMan
    Swolliw said:
    @TrueLove

Come on now. That is not being very up front, is it?

It is clear for all to see...... I said, "Jesus Christ was no different to David Koresh and Jim Jones, who claimed to be the only son of God." It is a factual statement.

And, as for your deliberate sidetrack issue....by what criteria is one deemed to be a Christian?

And, by the same (diversionary) token, Jesus was a Christian, was he? In other words, did he follow himself?......He must have had a long tail.

Maybe try wording it different?
    Try again, because I'm not understanding you then.
    What does it mean Jesus was no different to Koresh and Jones who claimed to be the only son of God?

Jesus is the Christ.  What are you talking about Jesus was a Christian wasn't he?

Jesus is the only begotten Son of God.  
    People whom God accepts are ADOPTED as sons.
    Just because someone claims to be a Christian doesn't make them a Christian.  A Christian is a follower of the Way, a follower of Christ's teachings.  Nowhere does Jesus say to kill people who don't believe as you do, and nowhere are we told to commit suicide.  

TreeMan
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1390 Pts   -  
    I dunno. Would you call the son of Superman and/or Wonderwoman literal or metaphorical?
    TreeMan
  • KhasimAmeduKhasimAmedu 96 Pts   -  
    @TrueLove

"Jesus is the Christ, that's why he's the son of God" Seems like circular reasoning to me.

In Exodus 4:22, the Israelites as a people are called "my firstborn son" by God, using the singular form.

In Psalms 89:26–28, David calls God his father. God in turn tells David that he will make David his first-born and highest king of the earth.

In Psalms 82:1-8, the Biblical judges are called gods and the sons of God.

In 2 Samuel 7:13–16, God promises David regarding his offspring that "I will be to him as a father and he will be to me as a son." The promise is one of eternal kingship.

Why should we believe Jesus was the son of God just because he said it? It's clear the David refers to himself as such.

I also would like to mention that Jesus was a devout Jew that clearly intended to validate the Torah, it was only after his death and supposed resurrection which isn't even mentioned in the earliest manuscripts of the Gospels, that the Apostles decided to make a religion about Jesus when it was clear that it was not what Jesus intended. So in that regard, you have already deviated from the original words and teachings of Jesus. The New Testament isn't even based on Jesus' actual words but rather a translation of Jesus' actual words. This is because Jesus spoke Aramaic and the earliest manuscripts of the New Testament are in Greek. The most significant disadvantage regarding translation is that there are seldom direct, one-to-one correlations between words, their meanings, and their subtle suggestions in different languages. There is an inevitable loss of intended meaning, nuance, and beauty. This is a common element regarding translated literatures as intended meaning and subtle suggestions, key and crucial details specific to that language are lost and as a result opens a spectrum of different interpretations. This is evident as I find the Gospels totally unclear and seemingly metaphorical. 

"Jesus is the Christ, that's why he's the son of God" Seems like circular reasoning to me.

Where did I ever say that?  Why are you putting quotes as if you are quoting me?

In Exodus 4:22, the Israelites as a people are called "my firstborn son" by God, using the singular form.

In Psalms 89:26–28, David calls God his father. God in turn tells David that he will make David his first-born and highest king of the earth.

In Psalms 82:1-8, the Biblical judges are called gods and the sons of God.

In 2 Samuel 7:13–16, God promises David regarding his offspring that "I will be to him as a father and he will be to me as a son." The promise is one of eternal kingship.

Why should we believe Jesus was the son of God just because he said it? It's clear the David refers to himself as such.

God adopts humans as His sons.  

However, Mary is made pregnant with Jesus through the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 1:18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.

I also would like to mention that Jesus was a devout Jew that clearly intended to validate the Torah,

The whole Old Testament was about Jesus.  Jesus came and fulfilled all that was prophesied about him.  Jesus came to make a new covenant.  The plan for him to come was the plan before God made anything.  

John 5:39
    You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,

it was only after his death and supposed resurrection which isn't even mentioned in the earliest manuscripts of the Gospels,

What are talking about when you say the earliest gospels?

that the Apostles decided to make a religion about Jesus when it was clear that it was not what Jesus intended.

You are badly mistaken.  

So in that regard, you have already deviated from the original words and teachings of Jesus.

How do you ever get that I do that?

The New Testament isn't even based on Jesus' actual words but rather a translation of Jesus' actual words.

It doesn't change the truth to translate.

This is because Jesus spoke Aramaic and the earliest manuscripts of the New Testament are in Greek. 
    The most significant disadvantage regarding translation is that there are seldom direct, one-to-one correlations between words, their meanings, and their subtle suggestions in different languages. There is an inevitable loss of intended meaning, nuance, and beauty. This is a common element regarding translated literatures as intended meaning and subtle suggestions, key and crucial details specific to that language are lost and as a result opens a spectrum of different interpretations. This is evident as I find the Gospels totally unclear and seemingly metaphorical. 

You find the gospel unclear because Jesus gives understanding after one obeys his teachings.  You don't obey his teachings.  Not only that, you probably  never had the gospel explained to you.  There are many false denominations and false doctrines.  

2 Timothy 2:25 correcting opponents with gentleness. Perhaps God will grant them repentance and then knowledge of the truth.

John 8:30 Even as he spoke, many believed in him. 31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

• KhasimAmeduKhasimAmedu 96 Pts   -  

You find the gospel unclear because Jesus gives understanding after one obeys his teachings.  You don't obey his teachings.  Not only that, you probably  never had the gospel explained to you.  There are many false denominations and false doctrines.  

What are his teachings exactly?
    What are his teachings exactly?
    We have to believe that we have to obey him.
    He tells us to humble ourselves and be as little children ready to do whatever their parent says to do.  Jesus says to be sorry for your sins and repent of them, and have every intention of stop sinning.  He says to have a forgiving heart and forgive everyone who has sinned against you.  He says not to give up, and to want him more than you want anyone or anything, even more than your own life.  He says not to hate and not to lust in your heart.  He says to call on him to help you, to save you.

We have to believe his blood that was shed on the cross washes away our sins and purifies us, and that he is on the throne interceding for us, and that the Father and he will live in us, and us in him.  
    He taught about faith and how important it is.

The Jews used to have to go to the temple, to a priest, and lambs were sacrificed for the people.  Since Jesus, he is the sacrificial Lamb whose blood takes away our sins, and he is the high priest, and the temple.  
    @TrueLove
    What does it mean Jesus was no different to Koresh and Jones who claimed to be the only son of God?

Exactly as it says, verbatim.....any further clarification needed and you would need to brush up on third grade English.

Christ was responsible for the deaths of eight million of his hapless followers Up to 150 million Protestant were killed by the Catholics during the Middle Ages and still, it is estimated that 90,000 Christians are killed each year because of their faith and between half a million and six hundred thousand Christians are enduring harassment and restrictions in confessing their faith.

Without even listing those who claim to be the son of God, here is a list of those actually to have claimed to be Christ List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia

Religion is and always has been the most deadly and gruesome institution ever devised by mankind.

So, you see, if one sticks to the facts without trying to divert the topic, one will get to know the truth. But not everyone wants to know the truth, do they?

Exactly as it says, verbatim.....any further clarification needed and you would need to brush up on third grade English.

I think you need to up your grade level, because what you said is not understandable as written.

Christ was responsible for the deaths of eight million of his hapless followers Up to 150 million Protestant were killed by the Catholics during the Middle Ages and still, it is estimated that 90,000 Christians are killed each year because of their faith and between half a million and six hundred thousand Christians are enduring harassment and restrictions in confessing their faith.

Just because someone calls themselves a Christian doesn't make them a Christian.  Christians don't kill people for not believing as they do.

Without even listing those who claim to be the son of God, here is a list of those actually to have claimed to be Christ List of messiah claimants - Wikipedia

So what?  What does evil people have to do with being a Christian?

Religion is and always has been the most deadly and gruesome institution ever devised by mankind.

You made 2 + 2 = 5.

So, you see, if one sticks to the facts without trying to divert the topic, one will get to know the truth. But not everyone wants to know the truth, do they?

No you don't want it obviously.  

As for you telling untruths about me diverting the topic, why would I ever want or need to do that.  Think.

@TrueLove
    As for you telling untruths about me diverting the topic, why would I ever want or need to do that.  Think.

I have thought and only you should be capable of explaining your own motives.

However, given the continuous sidetracking and deluded nature of your very poor reasoning I have serious doubts about such a capability.

Swolliw said:
    @TrueLove

I have thought and only you should be capable of explaining your own motives.

However, given the continuous sidetracking and deluded nature of your very poor reasoning I have serious doubts about such a capability.

And?
    @TrueLove
    And?

Thak you for showing the (lack of) depth of intellect by displaying your inability to argue intelligently.

It doesn't take much more than the intellect of a retarded amoeba to use the childish "echo" routine (which you have continued to use throughout your posts in this forum) does it?

No accounting for persistent trolling, is there?

Swolliw said:
    @TrueLove
    And?

Thak you for showing the (lack of) depth of intellect by displaying your inability to argue intelligently.

It doesn't take much more than the intellect of a retarded amoeba to use the childish "echo" routine (which you have continued to use throughout your posts in this forum) does it?

No accounting for persistent trolling, is there?

Anger problem?
  • JeffreyBlankenshipJeffreyBlankenship 190 Pts   -  
    @KhasimAmedu. Yes. The bible is clear that God gave us His "...only begotten son". As christians we are children of God because he created us. It is not the same as Jesus.
    KhasimAmedu