frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Yesterday, Lego announced an LGBTQ+ Lego set. Thoughts?

Debate Information

Daily Controversial News Story (DCNS) Day 2.

Yesterday, as a celebration of Pride Month, Lego announced they're making a set called "Everyone is Awesome" with the LGBT+ Flag colors, along with black, brown, light blue, white, and pink colored Minifigures.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/20/everyone-is-awesome-lego-launch-first-lgbtq-set

Thoughts on this set?
inconspicuous2
"I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• OpenmindedOpenminded 194 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Yesterday, Lego announced an LGBTQ+ Lego set. Thoughts?

I know this is an old debate but I just wanted to weight in.

I love it and why not? I see nothing but a positive outcome. LEGO sets that elevates the LGBTQ community is wonderful especially if it can help someone feel legitimate, whole and valuable. More power to LEGOs.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited December 2023

ARGUMENT TOPIC : Iegos latest money making scheme is designed to  suck the so up to date hipster families in . It's now essential 5 year olds know what a drag queen is,  a queer , asexual etc  etc is.

My thoughts are why do kids need to know about intersex , lesbian , asexual , drag queens, queers , bisexuals etc,etc ?

I thought they were interested in dolls , dinosaurs , cartoons , actions figures , I pad games etc, etc.

Let kids be kids and enjoy childhood why introduce them to stuff they are not remotely interested in?

This is for that type of pushy hipster  parent who wishes to force their views down a child's throat  instead of letting a child enjoy childhood.

The figures with the long hair are apparently drag Queens if which 5 year olds insist on knowing about  apparently.

Just noticed LEGOS ridiculous statement that the figures express individuality while remaining ambigious....yet they claim the ones with the long hair are drag queens......ambiguous indeed.......

• BarnardotBarnardot 533 Pts   -  
    @Dee ;My thoughts are why do kids need to know about intersex , lesbian , asexual , drag queens, queers , bisexuals etc,etc ?

I reckon that if that’s as far as your thoughts are then they don’t extend any further than an amebas doolie that’s bean chopped off.

If you care to actually go out in to the community you will find that social value s and morals have changed a heap since your mates were in the habit of blowing up queer s and other innocent people for fun. And of course they were liberationist s were nt they?  But I reckon if you also look on descent websites that aren’t spam and extreme then you’ll find that this is nower days weather you like it or not. Realty really sux doesn’t it?

@Barnardot

I reckon that if that’s as far as your thoughts are then they don’t extend any further than an amebas doolie that’s bean chopped off.

An Amoeba ( Barndoor cannot even spell it) doesn't have a " doolie" you cretin.

If you care to actually go out in to the community you will find that social value s and morals have changed a heap since your mates were in the habit of blowing up queer s and other innocent people for fun.

I've nothing against homosexuals you cretin, teaching my 5 year old about drag queens has nothing to do with morals you cretin.

And of course they were liberationist s were nt they?

What are you babbling about you cretin?

But I reckon if you also look on descent websites that aren’t spam and extreme then you’ll find that this is nower days weather you like it or not

What are you even trying to say you cretin?

Realty really sux doesn’t it?

Sure does for you ,you're an uneducated chicken plucker who's highlight of the year was buying a Hermes phone case from a Pakistani website ...only cost you ( the family) retard 600 dollars ......ROFLMAO

My reality is I don't bully 5 year olds into learning about drag queens because I want to tell everyone about how I'm so with it ya know ........

• jackjack 456 Pts   -   edited December 2023
    Luigi7255 said:

Thoughts on this set?
    Hello L:

I'm a fellow who believes that knowing stuff is good.  In fact it's soo good, that when people tell me I shouldn't know something, I rush, as fast as my little legs can carry me, to find out what it is that I shouldn't know..  

Therefore, the best way to keep stuff OUT of children's hands, is to tell them they MUST read it. 

excon
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 961 Pts   -  
    Lego can certainly sale any toy they want to, as long as it doesn't violate any known laws.  If it generates revenue for them I'm sure there will be more.

I can't help but chuckle at the irony of this though.  You can't 'assemble' the pride piece unless you match the male part of the lego with a female part of another lego.  What kind of messaging is that where the only constructive way to build an LGBT set is you can only do so with male and female block unions.  
    Bogan
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    @Dee ;  There you are Dee.    You and I finally agree on something.    This could be the start of something big?  
    Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @Bogan

Wonders will never cease :)
  • BoganBogan 451 Pts   -  
    A mutual admiration society?
    Dee
    @just_sayin @Dee @Bogan well the thing is that if you get the homo version then all the peaces will join the one in front of it until you make a circle. But if you buy the leso version then none of the peaces will join up. And any way all of the peaces will be really ugly looking.
    just_sayin
  • just_sayinjust_sayin 961 Pts   -  
    Barnardot said:
    @just_sayin @Dee @Bogan well the thing is that if you get the homo version then all the peaces will join the one in front of it until you make a circle. But if you buy the leso version then none of the peaces will join up. And any way all of the peaces will be really ugly looking.
    I know I shouldn't laugh, but that was funny.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Barnardot
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6045 Pts   -   edited December 2023
    I find it to just be... sad. When I was a kid, what were the most popular, the most advertised LEGO sets? Those featuring pirates, or spaceships, or megacities, or nature parks, or dinosaurs... All the cool, exciting stuff.

This LEGO set is just lame. It is just 11 different-colored figures standing on 11 different-colored pieces of plastic. They do not even have faces, no eyes, noses or mouths. Like some sort of scene from an anti-utopian book where all individuality has been washed out.

You know what LEGO set I am buying for my kids? 
    https://www.target.com/p/lego-technic-nasa-mars-rover-perseverance-advanced-building-kit-42158/-/A-87830577?ref=tgt_adv_xsp&AFID=google&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012576725&CPNG=PLA_Toys_Priority%2BShopping%7CToys_Ecomm_Hardlines&adgroup=Toys_Priority+TCINs&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9051496&targetid=pla-976545454738&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvWrBhC0ARIsAO4E6f-dzjY0gdJ_Mgw6-AQX74gYcS_ulqqOqYF8G6kbKs39jk5KGtsAwp8aAqSbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Hell yeah, baby.

@Dee

Their facial expressions make it. :D
    @MayCaesar

Ha, Ha yes indeed :) 

Now that's a great lego set you picked.......I remember getting a Meccano set when I was a kid   pure bliss.... no  mention of gender types anywhere :)

MayCaesar
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6045 Pts   -  
    @Dee

I find it to be generally a sad development in the Western world: that people are turning inwards. That instead of dreaming of futuristic societies, colonies on Alpha Centauri, flying cars, virtual reality, immortality and all other cool things that promise to significantly expand our horizons, people are instead focused on some kind of minimization of local damage. They do not think big and instead are stuck tending to small inconveniences here and there, or trying to mitigate large scale disasters. In eastern philosophies there is the dichotomy between expansion and contraction: in the former case you try to enlarge your world, and in the latter you try to preserve some part of it. In the former case you partake in daring adventures that often lead you not where you wanted to go, but are always exciting - and in the latter case you are doing annoying housework all the time.

If you were to ask me when I was 10 what would the achievement I could be most proud of in my life be, I would say something like, "Found an underwater colony in the middle of the Pacific Ocean". When you ask a modern Western 10 year old person that, most likely they will answer with something along the lines of, "Build a homeless shelter". Noble, but a bit... small? Is being 10 years old not the time to dream of creating cool things that sound a bit far-fetched at the moment? It is almost like people are giving up on the idea that the future can be substantially better and more interesting than the present, and are just trying to prevent it from becoming much worse.

And all this obsession with the emotional comfort of the self... The best adventures are the least comfortable ones. They are the adventures in which you go through heaven one minute, then hell another, then complete chaos, then hell again, and so on. But how can kids embark on those adventures when they are being systematically told that the world has no right to inconvenience them in any way?

I do not know what is causing this. When I was a kid, the thing I wanted the most was to get the hell out of my parents' place and do something funky that few other people have done. Babysitters and comfort-talkers were the last thing I wanted. I wanted to go out in the world and face extreme adversity: the harder and the more uncomfortable, the better. I do not want a rainbow flag waved around me and people telling me that "I am enough". I will be enough when I hit the grave. ;)
    @Dee @MayCaeser Except thats not a Meccano 25-in-one erector set is it? Oh but oh yeah sure its the same thing isnt it?

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

I find it to be generally a sad development in the Western world: that people are turning inwards. That instead of dreaming of futuristic societies, colonies on Alpha Centauri, flying cars, virtual reality, immortality and all other cool things that promise to significantly expand our horizons, people are instead focused on some kind of minimization of local damage. They do not think big and instead are stuck tending to small inconveniences here and there, or trying to mitigate large scale disasters. In eastern philosophies there is the dichotomy between expansion and contraction: in the former case you try to enlarge your world, and in the latter you try to preserve some part of it. In the former case you partake in daring adventures that often lead you not where you wanted to go, but are always exciting - and in the latter case you are doing annoying housework all the time.

Society goes through periods and the one it's going through worlwide at the moment  ( to me) seems to be a prudish , bullying ,finger wagging type society where if one doesn't toe the populist views put forward by assorted mouthpieces regards , gender , race , equality etc, etc then one has to be screeched down , outed and ostracised for the gross crime of challenging  populist narratives.

If you were to ask me when I was 10 what would the achievement I could be most proud of in my life be, I would say something like, "Found an underwater colony in the middle of the Pacific Ocean". When you ask a modern Western 10 year old person that, most likely they will answer with something along the lines of, "Build a homeless shelter". Noble, but a bit... small? Is being 10 years old not the time to dream of creating cool things that sound a bit far-fetched at the moment? It is almost like people are giving up on the idea that the future can be substantially better and more interesting than the present, and are just trying to prevent it from becoming much worse.

Yes I agree,  imagination and creativity seem to be sadly lacking in society and you're correct as in " just prevent it from becoming much worse"  the astonishing thing for me really is despite the obvios  benefits of certain  technology's the damages haven't been fully felt yet. , I was in a restaurant yesterday and I'd safely say 70 perrcent of the people there were looking at or toying with their phones , modern attention spans it seems cannot go 10 minutes without the need to check the phone,  surely this has to be damaging.

And all this obsession with the emotional comfort of the self... The best adventures are the least comfortable ones. They are the adventures in which you go through heaven one minute, then hell another, then complete chaos, then hell again, and so on. But how can kids embark on those adventures when they are being systematically told that the world has no right to inconvenience them in any way?

Again I agree children are taught to be fearful instead of adventure seeking individuals. Most my neighbours drive their kids to the local school half a mile away the reason they seem to  collectively agree is an absurd fear of childhood abduction , I can only imagine what that does to a kids mind.

I do not know what is causing this. When I was a kid, the thing I wanted the most was to get the hell out of my parents' place and do something funky that few other people have done. Babysitters and comfort-talkers were the last thing I wanted. I wanted to go out in the world and face extreme adversity: the harder and the more uncomfortable, the better. I do not want a rainbow flag waved around me and people telling me that "I am enough". I will be enough when I hit the grave. 

Well said and I couldn't agree more , at 19 years of age I hightailed it off to California and drifted for nearly 2 years and had a blast life since has been a roller coaster with rarely a dull moment , I wouldn't have it any other way :)

BTW I absolutely detest those ridiculous Christmas cracker type mottos as in  " I am enough"   done with a rainbow flag makes it even more annoying.
    MayCaesar
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6045 Pts   -  
    @Dee

I remember, back when I was 8, having nothing to do in the summer while staying at my grandparents' farm - so I would hop on a bike and go cycling in the woods for 5-6 hours straight. That was in a country with crime rates higher than in the suburbs of Baltimore today. It was just assumed that that is an essential part of growing: going out there, getting hurt and learning from your mistakes. Helicopter parenting was not really a thing, and the top response to someone complaining was, "That is your problem, not mine. Do something about it, or ". My boxing coach had a rule: you complain about anything - you do 50 push-ups, then return to doing whatever you were complaining about. Complain again - another 50 push-ups. Complain about the push-ups - get out and come back next time, once you are done fixing your brain. When during sparring one of the other guys got his nose broke and started moaning, the coach said, "You will cry later - the round is not over yet: keep working!" You were never told that "you were enough" - instead, at the end of each session you were told about 5-6 things that you suck at and have to work on. That is the only way we were going to reach anywhere near our potential, and every single one of us is extremely grateful to that coach.

I am all for self-love and self-acceptance, but what I love about myself is my ability to overcome adversity and become a better person, and I only accept myself in the sense that I am a work in progress. If I were overweight, for instance, I would not accept it, I would not be "enough" - the only thing that I would have enough of in that situation is food. Things like "body positivity" in the sense in that they are interpreted nowadays are disgusting. People giving up on themselves and telling themselves lies in order to feel a little better in the moment, while living a generally miserable life.

And I agree with you, I think that the ease of the modern life and the abundance of cheap entertainment options have pushed the society hard towards unhinged hedonism. No one seems to be able to even spend 5 minutes in a park without starting at their phone, or listening to their headphones: "too boring". I love my morning long runs with no technology involved (aside from the smartwatch: I do enjoy being able to get the immediate feedback such as my speed or heartrate), enjoying the nature, listening to birds singing or creek bubbling, feeling my body working, and thinking random thoughts. And I absolutely never look at my phone when talking to someone, unless the conversation directly involves it - why would I meet with someone only to stare at the screen? I can do that at home on my own.
    Have you noticed how many people also want to document everything they do? "I ate this lunch today; time to post the photos on Instagram!" Often it seems people intentionally do something just so they can upload a photo and pretend that anyone spent more than a second glancing at this photo and did not immediately forget about it. Sure, wanting to share your experiences is fine, but sometimes it seems that the whole goal of going through the experience in the first place is sharing it, while the activity itself becomes irrelevant. I am not sure what the appeal of this is.
    Dee
    @MayCaesar

I'm on the same page as you in so many ways. I remember as a child being told " boredom is a choice" if one ever said " I'm bored" which was a rarity anyway. I aways worked even as a child as I wanted my own little bit of independence and the main thing money gave me was choice which is a wonderful feeling as nearly always I spent my money on books as my father had us all reading as children and the habit remains with all members of my family.

Every day as a child during summer holidays myself and my friends would play outside all day long and then play various table games in the evening , not a mobile phone about as they weren't around , all the parents where I lived had to threaten us to come back in after a days play now you have to bribe young kids to go out and play as everything  seems to revole around the I pad or I phone.

You seem  totally in touch with nature and your enjoyment of your natural surroundings and immersion in them is for me also pure bliss, most days I travel about looking for my latest subject matter for a painting,  and I love the challenge of finding beauty in what most might consider trivial.

That phenomenon where ones every movement has to posted up on Twitter or Intagram is to me baffling also it's like there's a want in people and what they get out of it is beyond me.

I meet a friend now and then in a wonderful pub where mobile phones are not encouraged as the pub is one that encourages conversation it has no TV''s , the place is wonderful as you see people playing chess , checkers , cards, reading  or just conversing , what's not to like?

MayCaesar