Is Human Consciousness Creating Reality? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

Is Human Consciousness Creating Reality?

Debate Information

Is the physical universe independent from us, or is it created by our minds, as suggested by scientist Robert Lanza?  

Does objective reality exist at all? Or is the structure of everything, including time and space, created by the perceptions of those observing it? Such is the groundbreaking assertion of a new paper published in the Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics.

The paper's authors include Robert Lanza, a stem cell and regenerative medicine expert, famous for the theory of biocentrism, which argues that consciousness is the driving force for the existence of the universe. He believes that the physical world that we perceive is not something that's separate from us but rather created by our minds as we observe it. According to his biocentric view, space and time are a byproduct of the "whirl of information" in our head that is weaved together by our mind into a coherent experience.

How does this work? Lanza contends that a network of observers is necessary and is "inherent to the structure of reality." As he explains, observers — you, me, and anyone else — live in a quantum gravitational universe and come up with "a globally agreed-upon cognitive model" of reality by exchanging information about the properties of spacetime.

While this all may sound speculative, Lanza says their ideas are being tested using Monte Carlo simulations on powerful MIT computer clusters and will soon be tested experimentally.

What do you think?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 4051 Pts   -   edited June 8

Is the physical universe independent from us, or is it created by our minds, as suggested by scientist Robert Lanza?  

Does objective reality exist at all? Or is the structure of everything, including time and space, created by the perceptions of those observing it? Such is the groundbreaking assertion of a new paper published in the Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics.

The paper's authors include Robert Lanza, a stem cell and regenerative medicine expert, famous for the theory of biocentrism, which argues that consciousness is the driving force for the existence of the universe. He believes that the physical world that we perceive is not something that's separate from us but rather created by our minds as we observe it. According to his biocentric view, space and time are a byproduct of the "whirl of information" in our head that is weaved together by our mind into a coherent experience.

How does this work? Lanza contends that a network of observers is necessary and is "inherent to the structure of reality." As he explains, observers — you, me, and anyone else — live in a quantum gravitational universe and come up with "a globally agreed-upon cognitive model" of reality by exchanging information about the properties of spacetime.

While this all may sound speculative, Lanza says their ideas are being tested using Monte Carlo simulations on powerful MIT computer clusters and will soon be tested experimentally.

What do you think?

I think it’s pure and utter B-ll C-ap and Lanza who seems gifted in his particular field unfortunately seems to be going the way of several other good scientists in the past as in embracing pseudoscientific nonsense , did you know that the raging nut Deepak Chopra is a supporter and friend  of Lanza also believes totally in Boicentrism ? That should be enough for most to sound warning bells 

This statement you cite from Lanza is ridiculous to say the least ..... As he explains, observers — you, me, and anyone else — live in a quantum gravitational universe and come up with "a globally agreed-upon cognitive model" of reality by exchanging information about the properties of spacetime.

How do we come up with “a globally agreed -upon cognitive model”? 

What this really means is since our realities globally all interact and we are able to independently observe the same things and do experiments that have reproducible results, clearly we are all part of the same realities 

I think it’s pretty obvious that out minds all more or less come to the same evidence based conclusions regarding our perceptions regarding “ reality “ Lanza should stick to what he knows as clearly this is a topic he’s clueless on  

Plaffelvohfen
  • SwolliwSwolliw 937 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold
    Consciousness is no more than a variable gauge as to the efficiency and effectiveness of the brain to process stimuli sent to it via its sensors, nothing less and certainly nothing more.
    If anyone is in any doubt as to what is and what is not reality, I will gladly help by bringing along a piece of four by two and walloping said person over the head. If there is an immediate reaction one will then determine that the subject is very aware of reality. If not, then a few more wallops will bring them to their senses. 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: reality is made of particles and if we control them by collasping the wave function

Quantum experiment in space confirms that reality is what you make it | Science | AAAS (sciencemag.org)@Dee
    DeePlaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    @maxx

You’re introducing a new debate topic why not post a different topic up?

Also I couldn’t give a flying fig about what your article ( appeal to authority ) says I can post up a 100 pieces or more by scientists and philosophers that think differently so your point is?

How does “reality is what you make it “ apply to our daily affairs or how we all perceive what we call reality? 
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -   edited June 8
    Argument Topic: as usual you ignore what you do not wish to believe

your question oh how it affects us in our daily lives has yet to be determined.  almost any educated person realizes that reality as we perceive it , is not the reality that exist. our brain decides what we see or sebse and it is different not only for different animals but for each individual as well.  you should read a bit on john wheeler, peer of einstein. many physicists are delving deeper into the micro world and there is a huge correlation between consciouness and how it affects reality. it is the height of folly to disregard something simply because you do not agree with it.  also i do not see how i am putting in a new topic at all.  it follows the question of whom posted it.  he asked if the universe is created by our minds  @dee
    Dee
    Argument Topic: read sohttps://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/does-the-universe-exist-if-were-not-lookingmething

Does the Universe Exist if We're Not Looking? | Discover Magazine@Swolliw
    PlaffelvohfenDee
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 72 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: This is a Debate

@Dee
    Also I couldn’t give a flying fig about what your article ( appeal to authority ) says I can post up a 100 pieces or more by scientists and philosophers that think differently so your point is?

The point is Maxx is debating the topic.  You are just spamming.
    Dee
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    @maxx

your question oh how it affects us in our daily lives has yet to be determined

Yet you claim reality is what we make it right ?

.  almost any educated person realizes that reality as we perceive it , is not the reality that exist.

You mean people like you and Deepak Chopra who think the height of academic brilliance is to embrace pseudoscience 

The reality we perceive is real enough  , we do not need to go into a quantum level to make sense of or navigate our world 

our brain decides what we see or sebse and it is different not only for different animals but for each individual as well.  

Out brain and senses assist us in navigating and making sense of our world and have done so pretty effectively up to now , we can watch a ball game with 100,000 people and each will know the outcome of the game as the information we see and interpret through our senses still bears out the actual facts as in result of what we observe despite being filtered through a subjective lens

An animal or a human see a predator as a threat which is why we survive we do not see such so differently that we do not see the threat , stop saying st-pid things please 

you should read a bit on john wheeler, peer of einstein. many physicists are delving deeper into the micro world and there is a huge correlation between consciouness and how it affects reality. 

I know enough about Wheeler and Einstein to know you totally misunderstand them ,give me solid examples of how consciousness affects life in the real world? 

it is the height of folly to disregard something simply because you do not agree with it. 

It is , but that’s not what I’m doing I’m dismissing Lanza and his partner Chopras pseudoscientific nonsense as it’s highly speculative clap trap and not surprisingly you latch onto anything Chopra endorses as you’re a sucker who followed every new age piece of mysticism posing as science that Chopra puts forward.

Chopra and Lanza believe we create the universe with our minds , how uttterly ridiculous  

also i do not see how i am putting in a new topic at all.  it follows the question of whom posted it.  he asked if the universe is created by our minds

You never do every time you do it you say the same 

Plaffelvohfen
    Argument Topic: no

read the op.  he asked a question about if minds affect reality.  i am talking about how mind affects reality.  even mickey could understand that. i seriouslly doubt you know much about wheeler, or the micro world, however my attempts to show you valid links, you simply ignore, so since you refuse to rea the new discoveries phyicists are making, then i leave you. before I do. Have you ever heard of quantum superposition? Where it has been proven that elementary particles can be in two places at once.  I suppose you think that is mystism. It's a fact. Recently, they moved into the macro world with this and now forced molecules to be in two places at the same time. who knows how far and how big they will take this or what the future ramifications will be. It has been shown that all matter, including humans exhibit both particle and wave like properties..@Dee
    Dee
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    @maxx

read the op.  he asked a question about if minds affect reality.

I asked you several questions you failed to address as in give me solid examples of how consciousness affects life in the real world? 

Of course as usual you sulk when questioned cat got your tounge? 

i am talking about how mind affects reality.  even mickey could understand that. 

Well maybe you and Mickey can demonstrate examples of minds affecting reality? Also you Chopra and Lanza don’t believe in reality so what the f-ck are you talking about? 

i seriouslly doubt you know much about wheeler, or the micro world, however my attempts to show you valid links, you simply ignore, so since you refuse to rea the new discoveries phyicists are making, then i leave you. before I do. Have you ever heard of quantum superposition?

What has this got to do with our daily interactions with how we navigate the world through our senses?

Where it has been proven that elementary particles can be in two places at once.  I suppose you think that is mystism. It's a fact. Recently, they moved into the macro world with this and now forced molecules to be in two places at the same time. who knows how far and how big they will take this or what the future ramifications will be. It has been shown that all matter, including humans exhibit both particle and wave like properties.

How truly fascinating so maybe you could get Lanza and Chopra to explain how this affects our daily interactions and movements in our reality?
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold

The point is Maxx is debating the topic.  You are just spamming.

No I’m not you lying clot , I’ve asked several questions none of which you or your squeeze can answer how’s that Spamming Shylock? 

Spamming 
    1. send the same message indiscriminately to (a large number of internet users).

• PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 2609 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Pseudoscience

Biocentrism is just pseudoscience... It's not even a Theory, as they go nowhere near an explanation of how it would actually work... An actual Theory explains, not merely asserts... 

The very idea that consciousness is somehow linked to QM shows a very bad understanding of QM... Lanza should have stayed with what he's good at, biology... 
    DeeHappy_Killbot
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 4994 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Ontological issues

There are a number of objections I could raise to this worldview, most notably of which is that there is a  major ontological flaw in the explanation which might be asserted by asking the question: Can a universe exist when there are no organisms or conscious minds present?

If the answer to this is yes, then the worldview falls flat on its face as it is demonstrably false.
    If the answer is no, then we might ask if the universe existed prior to the formation of stars, planets, or for that matter: matter. Since such a world is not only conceivable, but in fact all empirical evidence suggests that our reality was at one time under these conditions there is a major ontological flaw in this conception of reality.

Even more strangely, unlike panpsychism or idealism which might posit some global mind to explain away these abstractions, the biocentrist worldview has another major hurdle in that it presupposes a natural world with space & time where biological organisms might come to exist, and then uses that as a basis to try and disprove that world which is absurd.
    Plaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    Would you like to try to explain consciousness before you claim it has no affect on reality?@Plaffelvohfen
    PlaffelvohfenDee
    @maxx

I don't have to "explain" consciousness at all...  Lanza doesn't "explain" it, you did not "explain" it either... So why should I?

All I need to do here, is point out that there is no evidence whatsoever supporting even the possibility of a disembodied consciousness... It's fiction...
    Dee
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    It is not about disembodied anything . @Plaffelvohfen
    PlaffelvohfenDee
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    If you are unable to explain consciousness, then you have no idea what it can or can not affect@Plaffelvohfen
    PlaffelvohfenDee
    Argument Topic: Yes it is...

@maxx

Of course it is... The OP asks if Lanza is correct in asserting that consciousness creates reality... If consciousness "creates" reality, then it must exist before being "real" itself, which is pure nonsense... As @Happy_Killbot mentioned, there are major ontological flaws in the assertion... 
    DeeHappy_Killbot
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 4994 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Overdetermination

@maxx ;

Here's something to think about: If mind causes changes in matter, and matter can cause changes in mind (for example, by forming a brain, or interacting with it through the senses) then doesn't that imply there are really more causes to any given action than can be explained?

In case that question isn't clear, think about it like this:

Matter --(causes)--> mind --(causes)--> changes in reality.

Now, is the "mind" step necessary here? Why can't we explain the changes in reality purely by material means?
    Plaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    You ask how it affects us?  Go outside and look around. You have no knowledge that through the effects of quantum mechanics, that this is the reality that our consciousness is producing@Dee
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    @maxx

Thanks for that straight from the Chopra handbook of Bull 
    Plaffelvohfen