Do All Emotions Stem From Fear? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

Do All Emotions Stem From Fear?

Debate Information

We are born with one emotion: fear. All other emotions stem from fear, or are learned. Prove me wrong 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MrDebatePerson2MrDebatePerson2 184 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Ok.

We are born with more than one emotion, 

Babies start having feelings the moment they come out into the world. Babies can start feeling interest, distress, disgust, and happiness from birth. However, their facial expressions might not reflect their feelings because they have no yet learned how to control their facial movement or their posture.

Lets make a list:

Distress- When babies are first born they are crying and feeling distressed. Distress is sort of a combination of sadness and anger; babies feel distressed when they are hungry, sleepy, etc. Taught? - No

Happiness- 
    Newborn babies are also capable of feeling happy. We know that babies feel happiness right away because they can smile as soon as they are born. Taught? - No

Disgust- Technically, babies can be disgusted by things like yucky food straight away. Taught? - No 

Fear-
    Babies don't feel fear straight away, it takes about 6-12 months before babies can be scared. Taught? -No

I have been in the hospital room with a baby sibling, more then once, I have held a baby sibling, and I myself have seen them smile and cry. I have experienced it first hand, so there is no way you can say that babies are born with only one emotion.

There, I proved you wrong, no need to applaud.

• DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    We are born with one emotion: fear

Thats not strictly true fear is mostly learned 

. All other emotions stem from fear, or are learned

Love does not  stem from fear . So your contention is unfounded 

. Prove me wrong 

I don’t have to as you haven’t made a case just a few unfounded assertions 
    SkepticalOnePlaffelvohfenbjinthirtyxlJ_dolphin_473
    Argument Topic: Evidence.

Furthermore you haven't given any support for your claims whatsoever, you are merely stating your belief without any circumstantial evidence. 
    PlaffelvohfenxlJ_dolphin_473Jean
  • SkepticalOneSkepticalOne 1017 Pts   -  
    @MrDebatePerson2

What are you trying to prove? I mean, everything you said could be said of some animals, so... whats the point?
    Dee
    @MrDebatePerson2

What are you trying to prove? I mean, everything you said could be said of some animals, so... whats the point?

maxx said:
    We are born with one emotion: fear. All other emotions stem from fear, or are learned. Prove me wrong 

I am proving him wrong like he asked, so the point is babies are in fact born with more than one emotion, why do you ask. @SkepticalOne
  • SkepticalOneSkepticalOne 1017 Pts   -  
    @MrDebatePerson2

maxx said:

I am proving him wrong like he asked, so the point is babies are in fact born with more than one emotion, why do you ask. @SkepticalOne
    Ok, I see the point. I don't agree you've proved one way or another which emotion(s) we are born with. I see no substantiation.
    PlaffelvohfenxlJ_dolphin_473
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    When babies are born, their crying reflects their fear. That is not distress. Distress is learned later..babies do not know disgust untill they put something in thrir mouths that disagrees with their gag reflex.  Do you call a newborn, who is crying his eyes out out of fear, happy?? Even love is the lessoning of fear. The mom comforts the baby  which leads to attachment, and this comfort, which eases the fear somewhat, creates a strong bond.  Love comes after.  Applaud you? I should say Not@MrDebatePerson2
    Jean
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    Until you learn to answer my post as it is written, you can go jump in the lake. My resolve on love is under Mr debater@Dee
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 2609 Pts   -  
    @maxx

When babies are born, their crying reflects their fear.

Still have nothing supporting your claim I see... No links to actual studies or anything?

This one suggests all emotions are learned : https://www.pnas.org/content/114/10/E2016  ;
    Now, is this the end of it? Of course not, but it's an actual starting point for debate, you don't even have that...
    Deebjinthirty
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -   edited June 9
    Argument Topic: fear is

fear is programmed into the nervous system at birth, other emotions are not. even though fear is an emotion, it acts like an instinct. this is why we are born with it. would you like a link that supports this or can you look it up on your own?@Plaffelvohfen
    @maxx

fear is programmed into the nervous system at birth, other emotions are not.

And we're just supposed to take your words for it? 

The link I provided to a study says otherwise...  
    DeeMrDebatePerson2bjinthirty
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -   edited June 9
    @maxx

Until you learn to answer my post as it is written, you can go jump in the lake.

Can I indeed , as usual you make several claims and we all meant to accept your Bull as gospel , so have you anything to back your assertions up with ......maybe you will resort to running when trounced like the last debate where you thought Lanza and Chopra were onto something .......

Plaffelvohfenbjinthirty
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    @maxx

fear is programmed into the nervous system at birth

Prove it  
    MrDebatePerson2bjinthirty
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: why, you will just aay i will not read your appeal to authority; like you always do

Brain anatomy and physiology: The fear response | Actforlibraries.org@Dee
    MrDebatePerson2
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 251 Pts   -   edited June 9
    Dee said:
    We are born with one emotion: fear

Thats not strictly true fear is mostly learned 

. All other emotions stem from fear, or are learned

Love does not  stem from fear . So your contention is unfounded 

. Prove me wrong 

I don’t have to as you haven’t made a case just a few unfounded assertions 
    I think you said some right things this time.

I think all emotions are taught, either directly or indirectly.  

Oh how I love the Word of God!
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 251 Pts   -  
    @Everyone,
    Is there anyone here who remembers things before the age of 4 or 3?  The scientists say that is the age of being able to remember, but I have memories all the way to a time in my mother's womb.  What say you?
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    fear is part of the auto-immune system, we are born with it@TrueLove
    when i was first learning psychology, we asked about that, and they said that what we thought we remembered, were false memories based upon what others told us.  as well, since your question has nothing to do with my debate, perhaps you can ask it to the general community as your own debate. :)@TrueLove
     maxx said: When babies are born, their crying reflects their fear. That is not distress. Distress is learned later..babies do not know disgust untill they put something in thrir mouths that disagrees with their gag reflex.  Do you call a newborn, who is crying his eyes out out of fear, happy?? Even love is the lessoning of fear. The mom comforts the baby  which leads to attachment, and this comfort, which eases the fear somewhat, creates a strong bond.  Love comes after.  Applaud you? I should say Not@MrDebatePerson2
    maxx said:
    Until you learn to answer my post as it is written, you can go jump in the lake. My resolve on love is under Mr debater@Dee
    Ok maxx, like I said, I have held my baby siblings in the hospital and have seen them smile, how do you think my baby sibling was taught to smile? like I said, newborn babies are capable of feeling happy. We know that babies feel happiness right away because they can smile as soon as they are born.

Question, how are babies taught to be disgusted, that is not something that can be taught. For your information, I like jumping into lakes. :) and did anyone else see maxx's spelling? now that is something that can be taught!

Question2, you also said that all the other emotions stem from fear, how does happiness stem from fear? or disgust? or even sadness?

Argument Topic: Maxx, I wonder about you.

Your claims are not substantial, the only thing I think you got right is, we are born with fear, it is an instinct, but love and happiness don't stem from fear, they are practically opposites. Where do you get your information about the other emotions stemming from fear?

furthermore, we all know that we are born with fear, disgust, and happiness.

Now answer this, how are we taught disgust?

how are we taught love?

and how are we taught happiness?

and most of all, how do all of those emotions stem from fear

If you can't answer those questions, then your arguments are, not substantial, invalid, and not factually grounded. You must give evidence for your claims, I thought you were better than this. But don't worry, I am giving you a chance to provide more evidence.  ;)
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    how do you figure that when we are born, that we are happy, or disgusted, ? you must give evidence to your ideas as well@MrDebatePerson2
    @maxx

Finally, thank you for the links.  :+1:  Now we have a basis...

Now, let me go through these and I'll get back to you. 
    bjinthirty
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 251 Pts   -   edited June 9
    maxx said:
    fear is part of the auto-immune system, we are born with it@TrueLove
    I don't believe that.  I have memories of being in the womb, and fear wasn't the feeling I was having.  So why do you say the auto immune system?  Are you saying that fear is like a disease we are born with, or more like part of our defense mechanism?
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -   edited June 10
    @maxx

Argument topic .....Maxx posts up a piece that supports what I claimed thus yet again defeating his own assertions 

Maxx posted up this in support .......
    Memory plays a role in fear because it gives the stimulus context, and the hippocampus is involved in fear learning and conditioning. Lesions in this region of the brain can result in inappropriate fearful responses............

My response 

I stated fear is mostly learned your best source agrees ......sorry Maxx as usual you failed to read your own material and as usual beat yourself with your own source , it’s like magic you do it every time 
    bjinthirty
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -   edited June 10
    memory plays a part in fear, we are not born with memories now are we.  memories develop over time. what we fear adds to the memories and our memories feed on that fear. we are not born with memories. learn to read.  fear is part of our nervous system, part of our fight/ flight responce in which all animals including humans are born with./ now prove that wrong.  as well, perhaps you should read my reply to bjinthirty befor you answer. maybe if you do, you can understand what i am really saying@Dee
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    well, it is very easy to look up. i mean i am not making this up. fear is part of our nervous system/ fight /flight , in which all animals including humans are born with.   aside from that here is a link about memories. Your Earliest Memory Probably Never Happened | Live Science@TrueLove
  • bjinthirtybjinthirty 78 Pts   -   edited June 10
    i would assume that a baby attached to a womb connected to the females internal anatomy would be introduced to the emotions without being taught directly but begin knowing it by repeated moments of recognition. When a baby is born crying it is not fear that should be ruled automatically based off the kind of cry we humans can familiarize. Is more of a nuisance, shock, or the quick shift in environment change it lives in when it begins to kick its six senses in feeling, hearing, and trying to understand  the presence of those around its presence.

can you give birth to a baby without a human? idk probably not if my statements are true.

a baby may not cry neither from emotions or fear. It might be a muscle reflex triggered by the change of life support it needs. once oxygen hits its hair maybe some chest reflex triggers the first functioning of its lungs to fully shift to the life support sytem it will use its entire life. This reflex is what can be mistook for a cry when really is a built in mechanism for the lungs to unripe

but then again please refer to the disclaimer below for further information.

The information provided above is solely the result of actions taken in response to any direct or non direct open topics, any discussions including posts or subjects, all commentary including any form of messaging. The use of the website made available to the online community whether registered or not are liable for any violations of internet laws where governed by law. It is important to note that most of the information stated above this bold disclaimer is formed from personal opinion based off online sources personally researched and rationalized to be possibly true and credible to the best of my knowledge. It is not to be meant as a credible source of information but rather a rationalized form of personal opinion.
    the first emotion that we experiance is fear, all other emotions are learned. name an emotion that percedes fear in babies.  what i agree with, is ""some"" fears are learned, but fear in itself we are born with. it is hardwired into our nervous system. even genetically speaking, fears are passed on, especially fear of falling, or of loud noises. but everyone is missing the point. I am not talking about what type of fear, because some types are learned while others are innate. i am talking about the raw emotion of fear. example. we are born with paint.  everyone here begns talking about specific colors  of paint; blue, green and so on. i , however am talking about the base paint in itself.@bjinthirty
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    @maxx

memory plays a part in fear, we are not born with memories now are we. 

But you stated ... We are born with one emotion: fear , prove it or dry up?

We are not  born with memories , we we are not born with fear which was your original statement  Fear is learned 

memories develop over time. what we fear adds to the memories and our memories feed on that fear. we are not born with memories. learn to read.  

I read your piece quiet well it agrees with me which you are now conveniently ignoring ...... Memory plays a role in fear because it gives the stimulus context, and the hippocampus is involved in fear learning and conditioning. Lesions in this region of the brain can result in inappropriate fearful responses............

Fear learning do you get that from your own piece .....fear is learned . Learn to read and maybe next time get someone to read your pieces for you as obviously you do not know what fear learning and conditions means 

fear is part of our nervous system, part of our fight/ flight responce in which all animals including humans are born with./ now prove that wrong. 

You haven’t proved it your own piece claims fear is learned , tell me are you born fearing , fire,  predators or bolts of lightening or do you learn to flee from them through experience a yes or no will suffice ?

as well, perhaps you should read my reply to bjinthirty befor you answer. maybe if you do, you can understand what i am really saying

I don’t think you know what you’re saying which is now a norm , which is why you abandon every debate when trapped .....Try again 

bjinthirty
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    @maxx

i am talking about the raw emotion

I know and you can offer zero proof for your assertions I claimed fear is learned your own source agrees , so until you can prove your assertions all you’re doing is telling everyone you’re right cos ya say so 
    bjinthirty
    ive given you valid science links in which you fail to read, as usual.  also you failed to answer my question on flight/ fight in which fear is built into, not only lower animals, but all humans as well. prove that is wrong, for all science shows that it is correct.The role of the amygdala in human fear: automatic detection of threat - PubMed (nih.gov)  here.  this is why it is usless to debate with you.  you yell for proof, and you do not read the proof; you just keep saying i am wrong regardless of the proof, and with out showing me how that proof is wrong, other than saying that i am not correct. go look at all your posts in all the debates that you disagree with, and you will see that it is so. you ignore the proof without showing how that proof is wrong   @Dee
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -   edited June 10
    @maxx

ive given you valid science links in which you fail to read, as usual.

Stop lying I read your link you didn’t otherwise you would have seen ..... 

your piece that agrees with me any response to that ?Here you go your piece .....

Memory plays a role in fear because it gives the stimulus context, and the hippocampus is involved in fear learning and conditioning. Lesions in this region of the brain can result in inappropriate fearful responses............

Fear learning do you get that from your own piece .....fear is learned . Learn to read and maybe next time get someone to read your pieces for you as obviously you do not know what fear learning and conditions means 

also you failed to answer my question on flight/ fight in which fear is built into, not only lower animals, but all humans as well. 

Prove it , what does a baby flee from or fight ?

prove that is wrong

Just did your piece agrees fear is learned 

, for all science shows that it is correct.The role of the amygdala in human fear: automatic detection of threat - PubMed (nih.gov)  here.  

Ahh a new link seeing as I beat your last one , “all of science “ more unfounded Bull , I think you don’t know what science is 

Your new link says absolutely nothing about us being born with fe-ar you id-iot do you even read your sources?

“All of science “ except your supporting article , show me where “all of science “ agrees ?

this is why it is usless to debate with you.  you yell for proof, and you do not read the proof; you just keep saying i am wrong regardless of the proof, and with out showing me how that proof is wrong,

I’ve shown you as usual your source agrees with me but you whine because as usual I beat you using your own source fear is learned 

other than saying that i am not correct. go look at all your posts in all the debates that you disagree with, and you will see that it is so. you ignore the proof without showing how that proof is wrong 

Your proofs always agree with me your own piece says fear is learned , you really are abysmally st-pid

@Dee
    bjinthirty
    Did you not understand that we are not born with memories?do you not understand that memories only play a part in fear after we remember what we are afraid of? You just also flat refused to refute that link on the amydgal  . Until you do, just shut up. We are born with fear and I can show valid science proof after another. You're not disagreeing with me  but with scientific proof. Everyone else is attempting prove me wrong.  But you just flap your haws and claim i am wrong.  No proof@Dee
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    @maxx

Did you not understand that we are not born with memories?

Yes I’ve never denied this

do you not understand that memories only play a part in fear after we remember what we are afraid of?

All fear is learned your article agrees 

You just also flat refused to refute that link on the amydgal  . 

It never once mentioned we are born with fear did it?  Also you’ve totally ignored what I asked , what does a baby flee from or fight ?

Until you do, just shut up.

No I won’t shut up stop whining like a child your article agrees with me your new one or your new one does not state we are born with fear that’s just your own dense opinion 

We are born with fear and I can show valid science proof after another

Prove it? What does a new born fight or flee from ?

You're not disagreeing with me  but with scientific proo

Of which you’ve offered none show me where “all science “ agrees we are born with fear that’s your claim right? 
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    It doesn't matter if babies can not fight or flee. That is built into all animals at birth. Ipyou are disagreeing with a scientific fact .you are making a fool of your self.  Read that link on the amydgal. Prove it wrong. Apparently you can not . It's useless to show more scientific proof for you won't ready it or even attempt to prove it wrong. Do yourself a favor. Google " what fears are humans born with@Dee
  • SwolliwSwolliw 937 Pts   -  
    @maxx
    fear is programmed into the nervous system at birth,

I'm glad that you have come around to agreeing with the comprehensive studies regarding the vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2) which predisposes humans towards spiritual or mystic experiences. As we all (should) know, fear is a major aspect of spiritual and mystic experiences, most notably, religion.

• DeeDee 4051 Pts   -   edited June 11
    @maxx

Argument topic ....Maxx posts up a piece saying we are born with fear yet his source says it is learned now he disputing his own piece ....LOL 

Argument topic ......Maxx said we are born with fear all of science agrees yet he cannot find one source that proves this

It doesn't matter if babies can not fight or flee. 

Yet you said we are all born with one emotion fear yet we don’t know what to be afraid of until we are told 

That is built into all animals at birth. 

Is it indeed , except into humans who learn it 

Ipyou are disagreeing with a scientific fact .

Prove it’s a “scientific fact “ we are born with fear ? Should be easy seeing as you claim all of science agrees with you 

you are making a fool of your self. 

No I’m actually making a fool of you who posted up a source that claims fear is learned which agrees with me how do you respond to the fact your own piece disputes what you say?

Read that link on the amydgal

I did it’s mentions nothing about us being born with fear 

Prove it wrong. Apparently you can not

Prove what part wrong ? It does not say we are born with fear only how fear comes about 

It's useless to show more scientific proof for you won't ready it or even attempt to prove it wrong.

You’ve shown none , show me where “all of science “ says we born with fear 

Do yourself a favor. Google " what fears are humans born

But you refuse to say yet according to you all of science knows so what are new borns afraid of again that  "all of science agree on " ?

Show me where Dawkins stated this is a fact or maybe a  Krauss or Cox quote?

You did say all of science accepts your assertions as fact so produce the quotes or peer reviewed papers or just plain admit you are fabricating bull in an effort to save face 

You really should research before you post your debates up as you consistently make a f-ool of yourself ....have a look at this thread can you find anyone who agrees with your bull?

with@Dee
    Argument Topic: Maxx!

This is not a debate about memory, this is a debate about whether or not we are born with more than one emotion.

Maxx, I have asked you these questions already which you failed to confront, so I am making it very clear.

Maxx answer these questions:

You said all other emotions stem from fear, how does happiness stem from fear?

How does disgust stem from fear?

How does sadness stem from fear?

How are we taught to be happy, sad or how can we be taught to be disgusted?

There, answer these questions maxx and stop trying to avoid them. And if you refuse, then you know your are wrong.
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 251 Pts   -   edited June 10
    maxx said:
    well, it is very easy to look up. i mean i am not making this up. fear is part of our nervous system/ fight /flight , in which all animals including humans are born with.   aside from that here is a link about memories. Your Earliest Memory Probably Never Happened | Live Science@TrueLove
    The science you choose to believe in is dumb.  
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 251 Pts   -   edited June 10
    This is not a debate about memory, this is a debate about whether or not we are born with more than one emotion.

Maxx, I have asked you these questions already which you failed to confront, so I am making it very clear.

Maxx answer these questions:

You said all other emotions stem from fear, how does happiness stem from fear?

How does disgust stem from fear?

How does sadness stem from fear?

How are we taught to be happy, sad or how can we be taught to be disgusted?

There, answer these questions maxx and stop trying to avoid them. And if you refuse, then you know your are wrong.
    Since I am a rare person who has had memories way before the age of 2, I can prove that fear is not the emotion I had.  Thus his scientific evidence is null.  So what does maxx do next?  He finds so called scientific evidence that says memories before the age of 2 are lies.  How ignorant is that?  There are adult people who confirm what I said happened before the age of 2.
    Argument Topic: Yes. Good point TrueLove.

I have memories past the age of 2 as well, although very few and not very clear. And maxx is avoiding my questions because he now knows he can't answer them. Making his arguments not very believable.
  • TrueLoveTrueLove 251 Pts   -  
    I have memories past the age of 2 as well, although very few and not very clear. And maxx is avoiding my questions because he now knows he can't answer them. Making his arguments not very believable.
    You have asked him very good questions; hope he answers.  
    MrDebatePerson2
  • maxxmaxx 669 Pts   -  
    I have answered those questions, apparently you failed to read them or understand them. I’ll rewrite them after work when I have time@MrDebatePerson2
  • MrDebatePerson2MrDebatePerson2 184 Pts   -   edited June 10
    Argument Topic: Oh boy maxx.

Oooo, The stall tactic... very subtle maxx... and I checked, you never answered those questions, so now you are lying too?

maxx you are embarrassing yourself, and frankly I am disappointed.  :(  
  • DeeDee 4051 Pts   -  
    @maxx

Oh dear everyone is onto your Bull now 
    maxx said:

Look, it makes no sense, Happiness stems from fear? Happiness and fear are practically opposites. Let's look at the facts.

hap·pi·ness

noun
    • 1.the state of being happy:  

fear

noun

• 1.an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat:

dis·gust

noun
    • 1.a feeling of revulsion or strong disapproval aroused by something unpleasant or offensive:

Now it is question time, 

1. How does disgust stem from fear?

2. How does happiness stem from fear?

3.How are babies taught happiness?

4. How are babies taught to be disgusted?

5 How are babies taught to be sad?

e·mo·tion

noun
    • 1.a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others:
    Notice the word instinctive, instincts aren't taught, that is a fact, this proves your statement to be false, there is nothing more you can do or say that can change the facts. Listen maxx, you can read, so there is no reason you shouldn't see that the facts support my side of the argument.  @maxx
  • MrDebatePerson2MrDebatePerson2 184 Pts   -   edited June 10
    Argument Topic: My opinion.

Now, in my opinion all emotions are instinctive. After all we can't be taught emotions as I have proved.

Now you may applaud! thank you! you are too kind!

• bjinthirtybjinthirty 78 Pts   -   edited June 10
    I dont think maxx will be coming back with new content anytime soon until he forgets about this one he just fell apart. Time for a little self pep talk to pump yourself up again for the next one champ.
    MrDebatePerson2
  • piloteerpiloteer 1307 Pts   -  
    @maxx

We are born with the receptors in our brain, and the synapses that send the proper messaging, along with all the chemicals in our body that produce ALL of our emotions. All of those things are fully functional at birth. I admire your provocative arguments here, but this one is just not panning out for you.