Conformity by default? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Learn more about DebateIsland.com's EdTech solution aimed at Middle Schools and High Schools, DebateIsland Education, here!

Conformity by default?

Debate Information

Modern scholars and scientists around the world share their theory’s with the world over their thesis analysis. There seems to be a great deal of emphasis into the work being learned and officially distributed into academic knowledge for institutional study. How were the aztecs able to create their civilization and pyramids?, how were the mayans able to understand the cosmic stars?. All these mysteries and all the research that follows for a mere theory of why and how. Why has it not occurred to anyone and ignore the possible fact with ignorance that maybe the answer to some mysteries are just “us”. It was us at the end and nothing else. Yet in modern day today we seem to not consider the possible fact that humans at those times had a capable mind and intelligence to do it. it is as if we automatically conform to assume that humans were too dumb at that time to be the creator and thus must have come from somewhere else. Aliens, mosnters, gods, whatever is thrown out there nobody has ever said that maybe it was just us.

If you are telling me nobody could of ever had the capability to whip up a genius idea to make up a god that people could follow and obey then do we really believe we were so dumb as to come up with this? It seems that if true, religion has come so far that a simple possible fact behind the real meaning is not gona put out to a mere simple idea other than continue with it. I am just speculating here and I know its non sense but many topics have been burned out and repeated and I try to bring up new ones that make the less sense possible.

————-

Jesus doesnt want to hang out.

If you were a god with Jesus Character and in his shoes after going to heaven. Would you resist so long to come down to earth again and say whats crackin? or would you say F earth never going back and not care to even come down not even once to say you still got things poppin?. Maybe jesus doesnt want to hangout. :(

———-

1. Live Poll

Jesus doesnt want to hangout?

2 votes
    1. No
        0.00%
    2. Yes
        0.00%
    3. unregister yourself
      100.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SwolliwSwolliw 1037 Pts   -  
    @bjinthirty
    I'm sure that it doesn't take too much genius to work out how to con the masses, even thousands of years ago when information was not freely available, nor plentiful, for that matter.
    In fact, it was the "dumbness" of the common people that inspired charlatans to invent religion in order to take control for their own self-centered, nefarious ends. 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3946 Pts   -  
    People also underestimate cumulative effect of incremental changes over very long periods of time. The design of the Egyptian pyramids, for example, was likely perfected throughout many centuries, with people starting with building simple stone constructs and gradually adding sophistication to them.

In a certain sense, people of the past were also significantly smarter than people today. It does not take a lot of effort to build something sophisticated in the presence of all the modern knowledge. But try building something as simple as an aqueduct 2,300 years ago... It requires a very sharp, very inventive thinking. The ability to make a lot of sense out of largely unknown world around you. Ancient people had to develop this ability to survive, and this ability has largely been lost over time.

If I ask you to measure the radius of Earth with your own hands, you will be stumpted. Despite the abundance of all the knowledge of physics and technology today, this task seems unsurmountable. Yet Greeks did it over two millennia ago, back when they did not have even a tiny fraction of scientific knowledge to even substantiate the claim that Earth even had a radius. That required certain mental ability that is nonexistent nowadays.

Popularization of religion, I think, is one of the first signs of this ability being lost. In Ancient Greece religion was a big deal, but, at the same time, it was a very different kind of religion than modern monotheistic religions: all the gods were imperfect and human-like, exemplifying various human vices and virtues. People prayed to different gods in the morning, and then told joked about them in the evening. It was more a mythology than a religion.
    Monotheistic religion was one of the first serious attempts to replace gaps in human knowledge not with open-mindedness, but with false knowledge. Greeks managed to measure the radius of Earth precisely because they embraced the fact that they did not know much about the world and set out to make sense out of what they did know and could reasonably extrapolate. Monotheistic religion went in the other direction, saying, "Everything that you do not know, you do not know only because you have not accepted certain truths on faith. Accept them, and you will never again have to bother with hard intellectual work: our book will guide you, just follow its clauses!"

Science, at least, replaces gaps in human knowledge with actual, tangible, evidence-based knowledge. At least, when learning this knowledge, humans are forced to think, to apply logic. So, while our ability to dive into the unknown and make sense out of it may have diminished, our ability to put the known together and extract something out of it has only expanded.
    Religion forgoes this and just asks its followers to take everything on faith. Now that is a recipe for the intellectual death of an individual. And, of course, it is difficult for a victim of this to imagine that the ancient people could, through hard intellectual effort, figure out how to build complex structures with virtually no instruments - prompting them to see the hand of the "divine" everywhere.
    GnosticChristianbjinthirtyDebater123
  • GnosticChristianGnosticChristian 225 Pts   -  
    Jesus. The slowest Savior and God in history.

Jesus Christ, Revelation 22:12-13

"And behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according to his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

Not believing in a real Jesus and just thinking of him as an archetype, I am not particularly surprised that he has yet to, ---come quickly, --- back to us.

I have no idea as to why he did not hang around and do the savior bit at the time of his supposed resurrection and why Jesus abandoned the ancients and us to the conditions we have faced. Even today, about 16,000 of us starve to death daily, 75 million of us are recognized slave and at least 1 billion women are still oppressed by men. Not to mention all the gays that we have denigrated and discriminated against, without just cause, all this time.

As believers, you may also have pondered why such a long 2000 year wait. This, in light of the fact, that he even said that the time of the end was at hand to his disciples .
    This delay cannot be because of our free will because God of the O T clearly demonstrated that He had not respect for it and He certainly did not consider the free will of those that He killed or had killed back then. Their free will choice was to live, not die.

If he wanted relevance to us, I would think that he would be here and not an absentee God.

Could it be that Jesus is just a myth or is He just slow?

What is quickly in God time?

Regards
    DL
    Argument Topic: We cannot help but conform/cooperate, except for those seeking to show fitness.

Conformity by default?

This is a genetic trait that we cannot get away from.

As we evolve and live our lives, we can only do either of 2 things all the time. Compete or cooperate.

We naturally default to cooperation.

Within cooperation, we default to conformity by instinct and design. We are forced to do so by our selfish genes.

We have tribal/hivish instincts that make us perfect mimics and conformists.

In fact, we are too good to each other in the sense of not going against our mimicking instincts enough. 

Chimps do better at out of the box thinking than humans.

Regards
    DL
  • bjinthirtybjinthirty 80 Pts   -  

Conformity by default?

This is a genetic trait that we cannot get away from.

As we evolve and live our lives, we can only do either of 2 things all the time. Compete or cooperate.

We naturally default to cooperation.

Within cooperation, we default to conformity by instinct and design. We are forced to do so by our selfish genes.

We have tribal/hivish instincts that make us perfect mimics and conformists.

In fact, we are too good to each other in the sense of not going against our mimicking instincts enough. 

Chimps do better at out of the box thinking than humans.

Regards
    DL

MayCaesar said:
    People also underestimate cumulative effect of incremental changes over very long periods of time. The design of the Egyptian pyramids, for example, was likely perfected throughout many centuries, with people starting with building simple stone constructs and gradually adding sophistication to them.

In a certain sense, people of the past were also significantly smarter than people today. It does not take a lot of effort to build something sophisticated in the presence of all the modern knowledge. But try building something as simple as an aqueduct 2,300 years ago... It requires a very sharp, very inventive thinking. The ability to make a lot of sense out of largely unknown world around you. Ancient people had to develop this ability to survive, and this ability has largely been lost over time.

If I ask you to measure the radius of Earth with your own hands, you will be stumpted. Despite the abundance of all the knowledge of physics and technology today, this task seems unsurmountable. Yet Greeks did it over two millennia ago, back when they did not have even a tiny fraction of scientific knowledge to even substantiate the claim that Earth even had a radius. That required certain mental ability that is nonexistent nowadays.

Popularization of religion, I think, is one of the first signs of this ability being lost. In Ancient Greece religion was a big deal, but, at the same time, it was a very different kind of religion than modern monotheistic religions: all the gods were imperfect and human-like, exemplifying various human vices and virtues. People prayed to different gods in the morning, and then told joked about them in the evening. It was more a mythology than a religion.
    Monotheistic religion was one of the first serious attempts to replace gaps in human knowledge not with open-mindedness, but with false knowledge. Greeks managed to measure the radius of Earth precisely because they embraced the fact that they did not know much about the world and set out to make sense out of what they did know and could reasonably extrapolate. Monotheistic religion went in the other direction, saying, "Everything that you do not know, you do not know only because you have not accepted certain truths on faith. Accept them, and you will never again have to bother with hard intellectual work: our book will guide you, just follow its clauses!"

Science, at least, replaces gaps in human knowledge with actual, tangible, evidence-based knowledge. At least, when learning this knowledge, humans are forced to think, to apply logic. So, while our ability to dive into the unknown and make sense out of it may have diminished, our ability to put the known together and extract something out of it has only expanded.
    Religion forgoes this and just asks its followers to take everything on faith. Now that is a recipe for the intellectual death of an individual. And, of course, it is difficult for a victim of this to imagine that the ancient people could, through hard intellectual effort, figure out how to build complex structures with virtually no instruments - prompting them to see the hand of the "divine" everywhere.

It is wild how there can be a wide turn of events on information we believe to be true that later disproved. The outcomes are most of the time remarkable and thought to be impossible. But then they actually explain what the real truth is and how it works out and then everyone is like, “oh wow so it was only because of this little thing that actually does all that?”.

I still believe aliens are human beings in the future who have shifted their appearance over the years due to nature of the changing environments in future days had bring. More exposure to chemicals and exposed elements including space exploration and the toll it could make a human body morphed out of shape to adapt and survive. Lets say for example the world nukes itself and only nuclear waste water is drank. Among many new possibilities the body would have to evolve into a more rural species. This is just speculation and a childrens story theory so dont come at me with ur fake knowledge you learned off youtube. **cough **cough
    One can use terms like hope and faith for things yet to be proven.

To believe in a thing takes facts.

At least that is how this French man use English.

It would be a great waste of a universe to only have one sentient species thought.

Boring, --- if all the future holds, --- is that people having nothing better to do than visit the past.

Regards
    DL
    if the popular world trend isn’t propagated via the dialect of the institutional appointee for conformity by the group of selected few, then no academic judiciary or statement is to be defined as “truth”.
    if the popular world trend isn’t propagated via the dialect of the institutional appointee for conformity by the group of selected few, then no academic judiciary or statement is to be defined as “truth”.
    When science finds a truth, it does not care what people think. Science  cannot change the truth.

If people want to ignore truth that is proven, that is on them.

Regards
    DL

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 3946 Pts   -  
    bjinthirty said:

It is wild how there can be a wide turn of events on information we believe to be true that later disproved. The outcomes are most of the time remarkable and thought to be impossible. But then they actually explain what the real truth is and how it works out and then everyone is like, “oh wow so it was only because of this little thing that actually does all that?”.

I still believe aliens are human beings in the future who have shifted their appearance over the years due to nature of the changing environments in future days had bring. More exposure to chemicals and exposed elements including space exploration and the toll it could make a human body morphed out of shape to adapt and survive. Lets say for example the world nukes itself and only nuclear waste water is drank. Among many new possibilities the body would have to evolve into a more rural species. This is just speculation and a childrens story theory so dont come at me with ur fake knowledge you learned off youtube. **cough **cough
    The Chaos Theory in mathematics studies processes the outcome of which changes dramatically with even tiny variations of the initial parameters. More than the "butterfly effect", which ultimately can be minimized by strongly minimizing the change in the initial conditions, in Chaos Theory a process can produce a completely different outcome with arbitrarily small changes. Moreover, the outcomes may be, in turn, "chaotically different", in practice completely unpredictable and seemingly random.

It is quite possible that a lot of what we consider nowadays to be true knowledge will eventually turn out to be misinterpretation of consequences of some tiny effects currently unknown. For example, how abiogenesis occurs is currently completely unknown, and we lack any plausible theories that have practically testable and falsifiable predictions. It is possible that abiogenesis happens in a very obvious and simple way which we just have not stumbled upon yet. Perhaps all it takes is for the "primordial soup" to be bombarded with one gamma burst to produce an anomaly that has a decent chance to start self-replicating, leading to the first organic protocells. And once we find an experimental confirmation of this, we will think, "Wow, so it was that simple? All these decades we have been looking in a wrong place!"

But it also can turn out to be something extremely complicated, requiring science far beyond what we currently know to be understood and explained. Maybe some fine quantum effects are at play here, and we may be centuries away from being able to detect them experimentally.

I do not rule out the theory that life on Earth, in fact, is a product of extraterrestrial influence. That, of course, would not explain everything, since we would still need to understand how that extraterrestrial life or whatever it is came to be in the first place - but it would make our job of explaining history of life on this particular planet much easier still.
    This, perhaps, is what makes the ideas of creation so popular among people, even some non-religious ones. Our scientific endeavor would really be much easier if it turned out to be something as simple as "Someone far more advanced than us created all of this", than if we had to explain every tiny aspect of life on Earth in purely natural terms.
    bjinthirty
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1037 Pts   -  
    @bjinthirty

Q: Which means, in plain English?

A: Absolutely nothing.

bjinthirty
    @MayCaesar

Good read.

I wake up each day and I see people around the world dying for answers to questions they will start a quest for. And then there's people like me which find that as a waste of time and would much rather waste my time on our planet and how to fix and stretch the clock before our time is met with our prehistoric death yet.
    MayCaesar
  • @bjinthirty
    So a lot of words to say to explain Jesus got grounded and now according to the writings dad said he can't come out to hang, maybe later.
    How do I come to overthink things...???
    Well, maybe I learned the process, it's not like the early temples of humanity don't look like mountains a person might see in the distance, is it?