Is Chiropractic Fake? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Learn more about DebateIsland.com's EdTech solution aimed at Middle Schools and High Schools, DebateIsland Education, here!

Is Chiropractic Fake?

Debate Information

I, personally, myself, find it a tad incredulous that any number of illnesses could ever be relieved or cured by someone wearing a white coat doing a few "manipulations" and clicking a biro on a patient's spine. Then again, there seem to be many Chiropractors out there so, so many people can't be wrong, can they?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 4169 Pts   -  
    Yes it’s utter bunk but an excellent way of reliving the gullible from their  hard earned and of course it takes several “sessions “ for the thoughtful  “practitioner “ to relive you of your money .....sorry I mean pain ....of course will the dupes listen or do some research not at all , sheep need to be fleeced 
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 2656 Pts   -  
    Wouldn't say it's "fake", claims that it can "cure" or "heal" anything are wrong though... I see it as a palliative method (it's only about relieving pain without dealing with the cause of the condition.), and a such, it works well but if you think a chiropractor is going to "cure" your condition, you're mistaken, if a chiropractor says he will cure or heal you, he's lying... 
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1037 Pts   -  
    @Plaffelvohfen
    I see it as a palliative method

Palliative care is a proven and valuable practice. Chiropractic is not. At best, it is a form of placebo in that it does nothing at all but lull the patient (victim) into believing that something curative has been done. The only proven results ever to come from chiropractic is that it makes one's pockets lighter and it has been directly credited towards causing paralysis (in infants), strokes and death.

It is a completely shonky, disreputable, dishonest practice that should be shut down as it was some years ago. But then, charlatans gave it a new name and resurrected the whole sordid business. 

PlaffelvohfenJGXdebatePRO
  • JGXdebatePROJGXdebatePRO 388 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Chiropractic therapy is not a scam, the way people implement it is.

Chiropractic therapy is meant to relieve joint pain, and is scientifically proven to do so. People say that it solves infections and the like, but that is not true. It does it's intended purpose well.
    Source: https://draxe.com/health/10-researched-benefits-chiropractic-adjustments/
    Plaffelvohfen
    Subsequentially trolls
    @JGXdebatePRO
    .........and is scientifically proven to do so.

It is not. There is not one single shred of scientific evidence whatsoever and indeed, you failed to quote any evidence, let alone find any. You are completely wrong.

The link you provided is a site regarding natural therapies, Dr. Axe is a disreputable shonk. There is even a disclaimer on the site, "This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician." Do your research. Finding a biased, non-medically endorsed, "natural therapy" site that no more than confirms nonsense that you want to believe is hardly credible, is it?

Chiropractors are not registered health nor allied health practitioners and are quacks, to say the least. The founder of chiropractic was jailed because of the controversial practice and the practices were banned. It has resurfaced by dishonest charlatans over recent years and renamed. It operates on the fringes of the law. For example, some jurisdictions in Australia refuse chiropractors from setting up business. In order to circumvent the law, these shonks register as a physiotherapist or operate from the same practice rooms of a bona fide health practitioner.

Dee
  • DeeDee 4169 Pts   -   edited July 19
    @JGXdebatePRO

Surely you cannot be serious?

Yes it can relieve pain but an average Joe could do the same after half an consulting You Tube videos on such the problem is they are not and cannot do anything but sort term measures which can do more harm than good , the amount of damage these people do is well documented the field is full of quacks who make outrageous claims if one just looks at the advertisements for such 

A bit of background on this “discipline “ founded on bunk and Woo …..

WIKI 

For most of its existence, chiropractic has battled with mainstream medicine, sustained by antiscientific and pseudoscientific ideas such as subluxation.

Chiropractic researchers have documented that fraud, abuse and quackery are more prevalent in chiropractic than in other health care professions. Unsubstantiated claims about the efficacy of chiropractic have continued to be made by individual chiropractors and chiropractic associations. The core concept of traditional chiropractic, vertebral subluxation, is not based on sound science. Collectively, systematic reviews have not demonstrated that spinal manipulation, the main treatment method employed by chiropractors, was effective for any medical condition, with the possible exception of treatment for back pain. Spinal manipulation, particularly of the upper spine, can, rarely, cause complications in adults

Chiropractic was founded in the US in 1895 by David Palmer. He was a magnetic healer, practising a type of therapy similar to that of traditional bonesetters. Palmer claimed he had restored hearing in an almost completely deaf man by manipulating his spine, and subsequently developed the concept of “innate intelligence”, a primeval energy of divine origin that flows through the body.

In his view, misalignments of the spine (which he called vertebral subluxations) and other bones would prevent this energy from flowing freely, affecting the vibration of nerves connected to different organs and disturbing their functions. He claimed then that chiropractic could be used to treat any kind of illness. Palmer lacked formal medical training and was jailed for practising medicine without a licence.

Seriously guys you trust something based on this utter Bull?

SwolliwPlaffelvohfen
  • peenutspeenuts 2 Pts   -  
    I used to go the chiropractor and he got a b*ner everytime he put his hands on me so I think its a conspiracy made so these guys can put their hands all over u
    @peenuts
    I used to go the chiropractor and he got a b*ner everytime he put his hands on me so I think its a conspiracy made so these guys can put their hands all over u

Unfortunately, we get the odd unscrupulous individual like that in any occupation that deals directly with the public.

Swolliw said:
    @JGXdebatePRO
    .........and is scientifically proven to do so.

It is not. There is not one single shred of scientific evidence whatsoever and indeed, you failed to quote any evidence, let alone find any. You are completely wrong.

The link you provided is a site regarding natural therapies, Dr. Axe is a disreputable shonk. There is even a disclaimer on the site, "This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician." Do your research. Finding a biased, non-medically endorsed, "natural therapy" site that no more than confirms nonsense that you want to believe is hardly credible, is it?

Chiropractors are not registered health nor allied health practitioners and are quacks, to say the least. The founder of chiropractic was jailed because of the controversial practice and the practices were banned. It has resurfaced by dishonest charlatans over recent years and renamed. It operates on the fringes of the law. For example, some jurisdictions in Australia refuse chiropractors from setting up business. In order to circumvent the law, these shonks register as a physiotherapist or operate from the same practice rooms of a bona fide health practitioner.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no scientific evidence don't mind the most reputable healthcare database in the world which has evidence yeeeeeeeeeah you can just go ignore that 
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24262386/
    Plaffelvohfen
    Subsequentially trolls
    Dee said:
    @JGXdebatePRO

Surely you cannot be serious?

Yes it can relieve pain but an average Joe could do the same after half an consulting You Tube videos on such the problem is they are not and cannot do anything but sort term measures which can do more harm than good , the amount of damage these people do is well documented the field is full of quacks who make outrageous claims if one just looks at the advertisements for such 

A bit of background on this “discipline “ founded on bunk and Woo …..

WIKI 

For most of its existence, chiropractic has battled with mainstream medicine, sustained by antiscientific and pseudoscientific ideas such as subluxation.

Chiropractic researchers have documented that fraud, abuse and quackery are more prevalent in chiropractic than in other health care professions. Unsubstantiated claims about the efficacy of chiropractic have continued to be made by individual chiropractors and chiropractic associations. The core concept of traditional chiropractic, vertebral subluxation, is not based on sound science. Collectively, systematic reviews have not demonstrated that spinal manipulation, the main treatment method employed by chiropractors, was effective for any medical condition, with the possible exception of treatment for back pain. Spinal manipulation, particularly of the upper spine, can, rarely, cause complications in adults

Chiropractic was founded in the US in 1895 by David Palmer. He was a magnetic healer, practising a type of therapy similar to that of traditional bonesetters. Palmer claimed he had restored hearing in an almost completely deaf man by manipulating his spine, and subsequently developed the concept of “innate intelligence”, a primeval energy of divine origin that flows through the body.

In his view, misalignments of the spine (which he called vertebral subluxations) and other bones would prevent this energy from flowing freely, affecting the vibration of nerves connected to different organs and disturbing their functions. He claimed then that chiropractic could be used to treat any kind of illness. Palmer lacked formal medical training and was jailed for practising medicine without a licence.

Seriously guys you trust something based on this utter Bull?

You're missing the point entirely. Palmer did not invent chiropractic. He publicized and gave the idea a name, but he advertised it in a dodgy way. Lots of people in the business engaging in fraud doesn't mean that the practice itself is fraudulent. Also, yes, your average Joe might be able to replicate the effects of a chiropractic clinic, but that's not the point. A chriopractic clinic is there to have someone do it for you.
    Subsequentially trolls
  • DeeDee 4169 Pts   -   edited July 21
    @JGXdebatePRO

Also, yes, your average Joe might be able to replicate the effects of a chiropractic clinic, but that's not the point. A chriopractic clinic is there to have someone do it for you.

What's that got to do with it ?

What point did I miss?

Thats like saying a Tarot studio has someone read the cards for you 

We have a local " practitioner " who claims to move blocked energy around ....its bunk.

Plaffelvohfen
    @JGXdebatePRO
    He publicized and gave the idea a name, but he advertised it in a dodgy way. Lots of people in the business engaging in fraud doesn't mean that the practice itself is fraudulent. Also, yes, your average Joe might be able to replicate the effects of a chiropractic clinic, but that's not the point. A chriopractic clinic is there to have someone do it for you.

Absolute nonsense. Palmer was jailed over refusing to pay fines for being in business as a chiropractor (call it by any other name).

A chiropractic clinic has somebody do it for you all right. And that person is a dishonest, fraudulent quack who preys on those who are naive and gullible. He will have any number of bogus official-looking diplomas plastered over the reception walls. He will make each new patient get a spinal x-ray from which he will show a curvature of the spine which of course, "requires treatment". He will omit to tell the patient that everyone has a curved spine. He will talk of the patient having "subluxations" of which there is no such thing, except as a contrived word. He will also use an operating tool called an "activator" which is no more than a large biro mechanism that goes "ping". He will also remain in business continually circumventing the laws so long as there are impressionable, vulnerable, gullible nitwits who go around claiming that they are walking, living proof that chiropractic works.

Plaffelvohfen
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1429 Pts   -  
    Some of it's claims are. Osteopathy is better . It's the best of both worlds. It's medicine combined with manipulation. It works for me! In my next life I;m going to marry an Osteopath!
    Plaffelvohfen
    @AlofRI
    It works for me! 

Does it really?

The facts reveal that osteopathy is no better than chiropractic, i.e., quackery. Patients are lulled into a sense of believing that it is effective much that same way as a placebo. Osteopathy is "alternative" medicine and as such, is a fraud.

In my next life I am going to marry a bona fide, registered doctor of medicine who uses techniques and medicines that are thoroughly tested and proven to work.

Oh, and she must have big boobs.

Osteopathy is taught in med schools. They go six months (approx) longer for manipulative therapy. there are fewer of them because of the expense. You are wrong. 
    @AlofRI
    You are wrong. 

Osteopaths are generally distrusted by the public. It is not their training that is an issue, it is what they (or at least a high percentage) do with it. Unfortunately, the type of medical students that are attracted to get a DO are mostly alternative airheads and use their degree to justify the use of manipulation only instead of conventional medicine. Also, some physiotherapists do the same thing. For example, I went with a friend to see her marvelous physio undertake a "treatment". There were candles all over the room and crystals hanging off the walls. Then out came the long needles. Not one bit of the treatment comprised physio techniques. As soon as these "therapists" mention the word "holistic", alarm bells ring loud and clear.

Plaffelvohfen
    i,ve used osteopaths for 65 years. Haven't seen one candle. My two daughters were delivered by DO's. My hospital   has both DO's and MDs working together and respecting each other. You are still wrong.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @AlofRI
    i,ve used osteopaths for 65 years. Haven't seen one candle. My two daughters were delivered by DO's. My hospital   has both DO's and MDs working together and respecting each other. You are still wrong.

In that case, half the medical profession and medical authorities (from where I did my research) are wrong.

Anecdotal evidence alone does not validate a practice or principal. Well researched facts and statistics do.

You are wrong, not me.

Wel'i've used them most of my life and I've never seen what you described, and wiill continue to do so. Consider the matter closed.
    @AlofRI
    Wel'i've used them most of my life and I've never seen what you described, and wiill continue to do so. Consider the matter closed.

In other words, you refuse to listen to or accept the facts. That is hardly the spirit of debating, is it?

FACTS are in the eyes of the beholder .... in this case  
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1037 Pts   -   edited August 1
    @AlofRI
    FACTS are in the eyes of the beholder .... in this case  

Facts are the result of diligent research, which is what I did. And I got my facts from WHO statistics and USA and Australian government information. All you have produced is extremely single, self-example, anecdotal evidence which does not stack up at all in view of the overwhelming statistics that contradict your personal experience only conclusions. 

Just because you accept something as being valid from only your own personal experience, it does not make it fact nor reflect what the world at large experiences. 

To assert something just because you have "used them most of my life and I've never seen what you described, and wiill continue to do so" is an appalling and narrow-minded conclusion, to say the least. Unless, of course, you are God.