Is land a commodity to be sold? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Learn more about DebateIsland.com's EdTech solution aimed at Middle Schools and High Schools, DebateIsland Education, here!

Is land a commodity to be sold?

Debate Information

Sorry don't have much time but i just thought of this topic please don't roast this.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• maxxmaxx 707 Pts   -  
    i am not sure of your reasoning; land may not be a commodity like oil, or spices, e.t.c, however it is an asset. Its value depends upon the location as well what is placed or built upon it.@TreeMan
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 2656 Pts   -  
    @TreeMan

Having Georgist sympathies, so I tend to agree with you. Land is finite, cannot be created and is not the result of labor therefore there's no real justification for "private ownership" of land. 
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3946 Pts   -  
    Asking whether something can be sold is equivalent to asking whether something can be owned. No matter what you think about the abstract concept of land ownership, you certainly can build something on a chunk of land and own that - and then land ownership, whether formally recognized, becomes automatically assumed. You cannot own a static piece property without controlling the land it is built upon in practice.

It may not (in my view, it does not) make a lot of sense to trade a barren chunk of land - but land that has been used for something and that has some property built on it certainly can be traded. If you have a nice property by a lake, then a person buying this property from you also automatically receives the small space around it near the lake, and this space has certain value and, thus, will be accounted for in the transaction. Even if you interpret it as you buying property alone, the price of your purchase is affected by the value of the adjacent land, thus you are effectively buying the land as well.

It is somewhat like buying an apartment in the middle of Manhattan: it maybe an apartment of the same quality and size as a similar apartment in the middle of Wyoming wilderness, but it may cost easily 10 times as much. You are not just paying for the apartment itself, you are also paying for the location, for access to all the places nearby, for convenience, for job opportunities in the area, etc. Is it correct to say that you are "buying the location", strictly speaking? Well, probably not. And yet, this is effectively what you are doing, no? The apartment would not cost this much otherwise.

This, I think, is what many people do not fully understand: financial transactions include more into them than just the raw value of the abstract product. There is a reason 1 lb of bananas on Beverly Hills costs far more than 1 lb of bananas in a tiny village in Mississippi: buying 1 lb of bananas, you are not just paying for the bananas, but for enjoying being in one of the most luxurious areas in the world in the meantime. It is the experience that you are paying for, not just the fruits that you will put into your basket at home.
    Ultimately, there is no such thing as a "raw market value" of something. Everything has only contextual value. A gallon of water may be worth nothing to you when you are swimming in a lake, but it will be worth a trillion dollars to you when you are dying of dehydration in the Saharan desert. Many factors that are not directly sellable in themselves come into consideration in every transaction and alter it.

The bottom line is that whether land is a commodity or not depends on the perspective. What is undeniable is that land has value, and no matter what piece of static property you buy, you pay for the land as well. Land is thus sellable as part of a larger package, at the very least.
    maxx
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1037 Pts   -  
    @TreeMan
    Sorry don't have much time but......

Then, why not come back and write a proper thread when you have done the appropriate research and thought about it? Like derrrr.

The answer is definitive anyway (especially since you wrote "Is land a commodity to be sold" rather than "Should land....."

So, the definitive, non-debatable answer is that land cannot be sold under any common law jurisdiction. The right or title to a piece of land can be sold.

End of debate, Amen.

• @TreeMan

yes...land is/has been a commodity to be sold, it has even been sold without deed as just raw material. Concrete, glass, tile, brick, steel, alloys, and minerals including salt.
    @John_C_87
    yes...land is/has been a commodity to be sold, it has even been sold without deed as just raw material. Concrete, glass, tile, brick, steel, alloys, and minerals including salt.

As I pointed out, you cannot buy or sell land. You can only buy and sell the title or right to use land...there is a big difference.

• maxxmaxx 707 Pts   -   edited July 16
    why?  just because you cant take the land with you?  i can take as much dirt as i want from it@Swolliw
  • @Swolliw
    As I pointed out, you cannot buy or sell land. You can only buy and sell the title or right to use land...there is a big difference.
    No there isn't...
    We buy concrete at a hardware store which is sand, cement, and stone all from different locations, then add water. This means we buy land and water then use it without deed or title. Here you making an interpretation made on avoiding basic principles.
    @maxx
    why? 
    For the very reason that I just explained........
    "So, the definitive, non-debatable answer is that land cannot be sold under any common law jurisdiction. The right or title to a piece of land can be sold."

just because you cant take the land with you? 

Stop making up an argument when such does not exist.

And quit those Goofy and Sci-Fi comics and wacko websites. As you can see, they lead to a lack of concentration on the real world

@John_C_87
    We buy concrete at a hardware store which is sand, cement, and stone all from different locations, then add water.

Yes, I momentarily lost site of the fact that you believe in God. If you are going to believe in such nutty concepts then, of course, you are going to make up nutty concepts. 

Perhaps that's how God created the world. He went to his local hardware store....Geeziz, makes a lot of sense really.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 3946 Pts   -  
    Swolliw said:

I think that it is a purely semantical issue. It is like saying, "You cannot buy or sell a car. You can only buy or sell a car title." Perhaps this is true technically, but it comes down to the same thing in practice. And when talking about cars, we do not say, "Oh, I have a title for that green Toyota Corolla outside". We say, "Oh, my car is that Toyota Corolla outside".
  • @Swolliw
    Basic principle.
    I won land when buying topsoil...
    The GOD I understand is not a religion...
    It sounds almost as if you are part of the group of lawyers which has defrauded the Federal Government by a civil lawsuit to attach ownership to money held in Trust to what would be a non-religious GOD.  

I have a Question? If a soldier is laid to rest under a name known only to GOD how do you explain his mother would also know this name? In basic principle, the name a mother givers a child at birth is not relevant to the name first given to that person by GOD. As an axiom would you agree?
  • maxxmaxx 707 Pts   -  
    land can be bought and should be bought.  perhaps you should explain your idea of a commodity@Swolliw
  • The land is a commodity and comes in several; forms...
    What you are trying to grasp is Lordship and why land can increase in value not just by location but by the powers of holding principles of legal precedent.
  • AreyoujoshingmeAreyoujoshingme 23 Pts   -  
    I don't see why not. Without the ability to own land, we can't establish borders. Some might argue we should live in a world without borders but that's just not realistic. @TreeMan
  • @Areyoujoshingme
    In basic principle, a border defines an area of governing law. That is how it becomes by definition a nation.