Why is a belief in science declining in right wingers, and ascending with the left? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Learn more about DebateIsland.com's EdTech solution aimed at Middle Schools and High Schools, DebateIsland Education, here!

Why is a belief in science declining in right wingers, and ascending with the left?

Debate Information

Hello:

I usually know the answers to the questions I ask, but not this time.

A new Gallup poll reveals that, in 2021, just 45 percent of Republicans report having a "great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in science, compared to 72 percent of Republicans in 1975.

Democrats and independents have remained largely confident in science as an institution over the years, shifting from 67 percent to 79 percent, and 73 percent to 65 percent, respectively, between 1975 and 2021.

excon

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• exconexcon 138 Pts   -   edited July 19

Hello ex:

Science is different from religion, in that religion is something that people BELIEVE in fervently.  It's NOT something they KNOW, like you KNOW there's a universe out there.  And once you KNOW something, there's no turning back..  You'll KNOW it forever.

In fact, that's the exact purpose of science - to take the unknown, and through a series of tests REVEAL what the unknown truly IS.. A belief, on the other hand, can be believed or not.  The difference is, science is PROOF, and religion is BELIEF.  

Now, I have no problem with beliefs..  If you have some, believe away..  I'm sure I have some of my own, like the United States Senate, would absolutely convict Trump..  See?   I DO believe in magic.

So, my secondary question is, if you KNOW science, in the sense I'm talking about, how can you ever NOT know it?

excon

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 3946 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Clarification

Based on the way the question was framed, people expressed not their trust in science as a general methodology, but their trust in the American institutions dedicated to science. I would assume that the difference is caused by the general growth of distrust towards public institutions among the Republicans, which is somewhat bizarre, as science is much more free market-oriented today than it was in the past.

Other results of this poll do demonstrate that Republicans' distrust towards public institution is somewhat selective. They strongly trust the military and the police, for example, while Democrats strongly distrust those. So, perhaps, my interpretation is wrong.

There is also the fact that a lot of the Republican-leaning media nowadays focuses a lot on certain toxic elements at universities, such as diversity committees, safe spaces and sociology departments (which do some horrible pseudo-science nowadays) - and many Republican voters who have not interacted with the system of higher education a lot have grown to think that that is all that scientists do nowadays. They are unaware of the real science done in physics, math, CS, engineering, biology, history or even economics departments.
    Democrat-leaning media, on the other hand, tend to be blind to those toxic elements and talk a lot of what they call "climate science". Democratic voters feel that the science is on their side, so to speak, so their trust towards it grows.

It could be the combination of the factors mentioned above, or, perhaps, some other factors as well which I cannot think of off the top of my head.
  • exconexcon 138 Pts   -   edited July 19
    MayCaesar said:

It could be the combination of the factors mentioned above, or, perhaps, some other factors as well which I cannot think of off the top of my head.

Hello May:

Thanks..  You said a mouthful.

I have the feeling that the questions were asked in a non-partisan manner, and in several different ways..  That's assuming Gallop is interested in presenting a poll that reveals what people actually think, or is interested in forwarding some partisan belief.

excon
  • They strongly trust the military and the police, for example, while Democrats strongly distrust those. So, perhaps, my interpretation is wrong.
    Trust is not to be confused with the line of command, the American military is not to be confused with an American Political Armed Service, a democratic majority is still subject to falling under being removed from command in a Military order, the basic constitutional issue is to preserve seniority as transitions of the two different types of service take place. 

Basically, science picks up the speed of intelligence by raising the public cost.