Should US apologize for dropping a nuclear bomb on Japan - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should US apologize for dropping a nuclear bomb on Japan

Debate Information

• On August 6, 1945, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on the city of Hiroshima. The bomb was known as "Little Boy", a uranium gun-type bomb that exploded with about thirteen kilotons of force. At the time of the bombing, Hiroshima was home to 280,000-290,000 civilians as well as 43,000 soldiers. Today, people in Japan including the victims of the nuclear bomb wishes an apology from the US government. Do you think US government apologize?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• TreeManTreeMan 329 Pts   -  
    Certainly. The US government killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people by dropping that nuke. However, Japan has not apologized to China and Korea for the atrocities they have committed there. @nicholassim
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4589 Pts   -  
    Who would apologize and to whom? None of the people that were in any way involved in those events are around anymore, and even the governments of the US and Japan are very different now and managed by very different people.

In addition, it was a war. The bombing was quite an appropriate response to the atrocities the Japanese government and army committed both against its own population, against Americans, and against those it conquered. 
    Since when does anybody apologize for winning a war with superior technology? That is your purpose in a war: to win it. The purpose is not to be nice and to get your opponents to love you.

The US people have done a lot of good for Japan after World War 2, rebuilding the country, bringing democracy there and building trade relations. Nowadays Japan is one of the most prosperous and peaceful countries in the world, and it is partially thanks to those actions on the US part.
    Actions speak better than words. Americans have demonstrated strong solidarity with and good will towards the Japanese people throughout the last 3 generations. It is time to stop digging old wounds and move on.
    Debater123
  • Since when does anybody apologize for winning a war with superior technology? 
    No one won WWII a Victory of reaching a goal was claimed by the Military United States under principles of constitutional unions being preserved. Not over the idea of might, it had become a necessity for the Japanese to be made to submit it will forever be one of the most horrific moments in human history, and America a creator of united state will not stand in blame alone.

The US government killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people
    So TreeMan is saying publicly that Japan had not made any statements of no surrender and would continue its public draft of citizens of Japan as needed before the idea of surrender would even be considered?

America's blame rests on bringing guns to Japan and it is for this a sorrow hangs over those who hold honor in America, motionless, righteous, devote to honor. The one state of the union which creates us all as frail and stubborn.
  • SonofasonSonofason 401 Pts   -  
    • On August 6, 1945, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on the city of Hiroshima. The bomb was known as "Little Boy", a uranium gun-type bomb that exploded with about thirteen kilotons of force. At the time of the bombing, Hiroshima was home to 280,000-290,000 civilians as well as 43,000 soldiers. Today, people in Japan including the victims of the nuclear bomb wishes an apology from the US government. Do you think US government apologize?
    Absolutely NOT.  When they bombed Pearl Harbor and killed 2,403 people there, they gave up any right to an apology.  They're lucky we didn't wipe the Japanese off the face of the planet.
    TreeMan
  • anarchist100anarchist100 644 Pts   -  
    @Sonofason
    But it was not only government officials who died, it was mostly regular people who had nothing to do with pearl harbor or anything else the Japanese government did.
    TreeMan
    @Sonofason
    But it was not only government officials who died, it was mostly regular people who had nothing to do with pearl harbor or anything else the Japanese government did.
    I don't care.
    TreeMan
    @Sonofason
    Would it be justified if someone where to bomb you and your family for something that your government did?
    @Sonofason
    Would it be justified if someone where to bomb you and your family for something that your government did?
    The end justifies the means.
    @Sonofason
    I'm not disputing that the bombing was necessary to win the war, what I'm disputing is your claim that the actions of the Japanese government justified the killing of people who had nothing to do with any of that.
    @Sonofason
    I'm not disputing that the bombing was necessary to win the war, what I'm disputing is your claim that the actions of the Japanese government justified the killing of people who had nothing to do with any of that.
    You can dispute all you want.  It's a moot point.  Our government owes the Japanese people nothing.  And they got from us a whole lot more than that.
    @Sonofason
    I would say that if someone has stockpiled their weaponry near my house and initiated a war, then destruction of that stockpile would very much warrant me being a potential casualty. I do not think it would be "justified" - when a war goes on, considerations of victory override considerations of justice - but it would not be an unreasonable action to take.

On my end, I would recognize the danger I am in and take steps to evade it. For example, living in Japan in 1945 and seeing my government losing the war, I would try to flee Japan before things get too hot.

No matter how that war turned out, massive civilian casualties in Japan were unavoidable. It is questionable that the nuclear bombing minimized the number of casualties, as commonly claimed - but it is unquestionable that hundreds thousands Japanese civilians would die in any scenario other than the US army giving up the war, which would only postpone the inevitable and, likely, drive the total number of casualties much higher still.
  • Debater123Debater123 591 Pts   -  
    @nicholassim The nuclear bombings or what?
    The Japenese mobilized almost half of their population, with around 31.25 million people officially mobilized to protect the home islands. In addition, every person on the island was armed and trained for the impending. Even young girls were given sharpened bamboo sticks in order to stab American soldiers.

The Japanese were prepared to fight to the death in a fanatical and futile attempt in order to protect their God-Emporer and nation.

It was either the bombs, around 500,000 killed and total destruction of two large cities, or millions and possibly tens of millions dead in the invasion and utter destruction of most of the island.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall#Operation_Ketsug%C5%8D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunteer_Fighting_Corps
  • Sonofason said:
    @Sonofason
    You can dispute all you want.  It's a moot point.  Our government owes the Japanese people nothing.  And they got from us a whole lot more than that.
    It is not correct to say the United State which America holds at the constitutional level does not own a debt to the Japanese people, as the people of Japan can chose to hold equal a debt they have created to the formation of consitutional states within a union.

"The loss of pearls equates to yen, dollar, not human life, Japanese, American. These too are united states of America, united we stand, divided we fall one nation under axiom." 
  • anarchist100anarchist100 644 Pts   -   edited August 2021
    @Sonofason
    As I've said I'm not disputing that it was justified, sometimes things like that are necessary, sometimes an innocent group that has nothing to do with the conflict has to suffer to avoid further suffering. What I'm disputing is you claim as to why is was justified.
    Sonofason said:
    Absolutely NOT.  When they bombed Pearl Harbor and killed 2,403 people there, they gave up any right to an apology.  They're lucky we didn't wipe the Japanese off the face of the planet.

Which is pretty much saying that because of pearl harbor the bombings where justified, the problem with that is that the people who bombed pear harbor and the people who died in the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are totally separate groups, The average Japanese citizen had as much to do with the bombing of pear harbor as the average American citizen.
    @Sonofason
    As I've said I'm not disputing that it was justified, sometimes things like that are necessary, sometimes an innocent group that has nothing to do with the conflict has to suffer to avoid further suffering. What I'm disputing is you claim as to why is was justified.
    Sonofason said:

Which is pretty much saying that because of pearl harbor the bombings where justified, the problem with that is that the people who bombed pear harbor and the people who died in the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are totally separate groups, The average Japanese citizen had as much to do with the bombing of pear harbor as the average American citizen.
    The bottom line...bombing Japan ended the war.  And that justifies the means, I don't care how many Japanese died from it.
    @Sonofason
    Sure but you didn't use that as the reason in your first post, and the reason you did use was wrong.
    @nicholassim The nuclear bombings or what?
    The Japenese mobilized almost half of their population, with around 31.25 million people officially mobilized to protect the home islands. In addition, every person on the island was armed and trained for the impending. Even young girls were given sharpened bamboo sticks in order to stab American soldiers.

The Japanese were prepared to fight to the death in a fanatical and futile attempt in order to protect their God-Emporer and nation.

It was either the bombs, around 500,000 killed and total destruction of two large cities, or millions and possibly tens of millions dead in the invasion and utter destruction of most of the island.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall#Operation_Ketsug%C5%8D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volunteer_Fighting_Corps
    The people were mainly forced to join the military, and fight for Japan. Those who didn't would be executed as a traitor.
    Sonofason said:
    @Sonofason
    Sonofason said:

The bottom line...bombing Japan ended the war.  And that justifies the means, I don't care how many Japanese died from it.
    If Japan was winning the war, and decided to bomb New York and Los Angeles, would that justify ending the war?
    Plaffelvohfen
    @Sonofason
    Sure but you didn't use that as the reason in your first post, and the reason you did use was wrong.
    Not really, If a foreign government kills even one of our people, then I'd be fine if that entire nation were wiped off the map.  
    TreeMan said:
    Sonofason said:
    @Sonofason
    Sonofason said:

If Japan was winning the war, and decided to bomb New York and Los Angeles, would that justify ending the war?
    Although I wouldn't like the outcome, it's totally fair.
    TreeMan said:

The people were mainly forced to join the military, and fight for Japan. Those who didn't would be executed as a traitor.
    That hardly changes the equation. A man forced to shoot a gun at you is still shooting a gun at you, just perhaps not as effectively as someone who does it voluntarily.
  • Debater123Debater123 591 Pts   -   edited August 2021
    @TreeMan So what? A lot more people were still going to die if the US had invaded, regardless if the defenders were conscripted or not.
    @Sonofason
    But that's irrational, as they had absolutely nothing to do with the actions of that government, the actions of a government do not represent the actions of everyone else in that country. They had about as much control over what the government's actions as they did over what a serial killer's, are they responsible for the actions of the serial killer?
  • Luigi7255Luigi7255 569 Pts   -  
    I'd say no. Sure, it'd be good if they did, but there really is no point. Leadership has changed and neither Japan nor the U.S has apologized for the terrible things they committed.
    "I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."
  • debatebro123debatebro123 11 Pts   -  
    Sonofason said:
    Not really, If a foreign government kills even one of our people, then I'd be fine if that entire nation were wiped off the map.  
    Average nationalist
    @Sonofason
    TreeMan
    Sonofason said:
    @Sonofason
    The US killed some people in Iraq. Does that mean Iraq can kill everyone in the US without consequences? IT goes directly against UN international law. 
    TreeMan said:
    Sonofason said:
    @Sonofason
    The US killed some people in Iraq. Does that mean Iraq can kill everyone in the US without consequences? IT goes directly against UN international law. 
    Who said anything about no consequences.  There are consequences to every action.  If you are going to fight a war, the safest bet is to kill everyone.
    Sonofason said:
    TreeMan said:
    Sonofason said:
    @Sonofason
    Who said anything about no consequences.  There are consequences to every action.  If you are going to fight a war, the safest bet is to kill everyone.
    As if I give a damn about the UN

• mrreasonmrreason 17 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: didn't think about it.

Didn't think about it. Also didn't think about Japan apologizing for Pearl Harbor. Maybe so. The U.S. definitely helped Japan become a major economy and technology center after World War 2 so maybe that WAS an apology. 
  • We did apolgize in the leaflets that had been dropped before we dropped the bombs...

Warning Leaflets | Atomic Heritage Foundation

It was more than what was given to the sailors at Pearl Harbor.

• BarnardotBarnardot 157 Pts   -  
    @John_C_87 sorry in slop language is yabiwaza and I reckon that if leeflets with that written on them especially the way that they write were dropped on Pearl Harbor people would have thought what the any way.