Why Does Society Reject Religion? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why Does Society Reject Religion?

Debate Information

What I am addressing in particular, is the doom and gloom aspect of religion; Christianity, in particular. Here we have a belief that keeps its followers hooked through guilt and fear that if they do not commit themselves, they will be punished in an afterlife with eternal damnation in Hell.
Apart from being a load of unfounded nonsense and lies, such threats are extremely primitive and unwarranted in this day and age.

We then have the bigotry and ugly discrimination for which Christian Churches are notorious for and embarrassingly and obscenely behind the times. It is just unacceptable in today's modern society for institutions to make a stand against the rest of society and the law of the land in the name of God.

Churches have had an unenviable history of oppression, abuse, and corruption. They have shown to be very slow, even reluctant to clean up their acts.
kawilay

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ThorThor 258 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Oh dear Swolliw

@Swolliw

I don’t have much time now a days otherwise I would have surely helped you to fight your mental disease.
    Peace 
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4021 Pts   -  
    I think that the society rejects spam like your endless posts on the same topic much more than religion. You are like that person who comes to a fun party and spoils it by bringing up the same topic over and over, the topic no one cares about.
    "Hey, guys! I just got here. I drove my Mazda 3 here and enjoyed the ride. I love that car!"
    "Hey, Bill... Nice to see you... No car talk, please."
    "Sure. Just let me talk about that commercial of the new Tesla..."
    "Bill!"
    "Alright, alright, sorry. Anyway, how have you been?"
    "Pretty good! Went to see Free Guy with my wife yesterday."
    "Interesting! Did you drive your Ford Fusion there?"
    "*sigh*"
    Debater123
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1130 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar I think that the society rejects spam like your endless posts on the same topic much more than religion.I don't think anyone knows what you are talking about.Can you give an example of what spam you are talking about and why you consider it to be spam?@Thor
    @Thor
    I don’t have much time now a days otherwise I would have surely helped you to fight your mental disease.

If you continue with making unfounded personal attacks and trolling I will make the appropriate representations to have your membership cancelled.

• ThorThor 258 Pts   -   edited August 20
    Argument Topic: Haha Hypocrisy

@Swolliw

If you say this a personal attack then what it is this:-

https://debateisland.com/discussion/7388/how-do-you-explain-reality

I would like you to explain too for your personal attacks.

Haha nut like you say me that I will get your membership cancelled. Let’s see lol that what power you have to do so. Let’s play now.

Whatever I can understand your mental state. Oh dear Swolliw.
    Peace 
  • KhasimAmeduKhasimAmedu 127 Pts   -  
    The only "society" that denounces religion is the West (U.S, Britain, France) It seems that atheists seems to ignore that they are a raging minority in comparative to the globe. So the question needs to be reworded to, why does the West reject religion.
  • JoeKerrJoeKerr 149 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Rejection

There are many different religions in the world. Which ones do you reject?@KhasimAmedu
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1130 Pts   -   edited August 21
    @Thor
    If you say this a personal attack then what it is this:-
    https://debateisland.com/discussion/7388/how-do-you-explain-reality
    "Debate Not Found", that's what it is.

I don't and never have made any personal attacks.
    You have and continue to do so, and I have made the necessary steps to have you removed. 
    Your behavior is completely unfounded and unacceptable on this site.
    @KhasimAmedu
    It seems that atheists seems to ignore that they are a raging minority in comparative to the globe. So the question needs to be reworded to, why does the West reject religion.
    "It seems" is a very loose and unconfirmed statement that ignores the fact that in many countries, if anyone dares say a word out of place about faith they will literally lose their head.

The West rejects religion because it can, and does. People living in Western countries are better educated, have free access to all information and have freedom to express their views. That's why.

• ThorThor 258 Pts   -  
    @Swolliw

Oh did it got deleted lol. Aww.

lol your mentally obsessed  post are toxic for this website. You do try to make this website garbage again and again. Is it it a appropriate behaviour dear swolliw?
    Peace 
  • maxxmaxx 754 Pts   -  
    now that is a fabrication. you have made an entire post sigleing me out.  @Swolliw
    @maxxy
    you have made an entire post sigleing me out. 

I have made many posts singling you out but um yes, er, that's what I have done and yes, right.

• AlofRIAlofRI 1466 Pts   -  
    Surely, you jest. There are millions of Jews, Muslims, Christians, etc. that would disagree with you.
    Plaffelvohfen
    @AlofRI
    Surely, you jest. There are millions of Jews, Muslims, Christians, etc. that would disagree with you.

And there are millions of Jews, Muslims, Christians, etc. who are deluded, so what?

AlofRIPlaffelvohfen
  • @Swolliw

Apart from being a load of unfounded nonsense and lies, such threats are extremely primitive and unwarranted in this day and age.
    I am not sure if the nonsense and lies are a threat or public confession. When confronted about issues relating to possible human wrong people often seek the presentation of evidence under a general belief they must be included with those that are to be convinced the harm they cause affects others. As a group, it is those who attend a church who are admitting they shall be haunted by guilt until such a day as they are forgiven in some higher form.
  • @Swolliw
    Churches have had an unenviable history of oppression, abuse, and corruption. They have shown to be very slow, even reluctant to clean up their acts.
    The basic principle here is the law held as united state has had an availing history of oppression, abuse, and corruption.
    KhasimAmedu
    Swolliw said:
    @AlofRI

And there are millions of Jews, Muslims, Christians, etc. who are deluded, so what?

So, society doesn't reject religion..............by millions.
    Debater123Plaffelvohfen
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1130 Pts   -   edited August 24
    @AlofRI
    So, society doesn't reject religion..............by millions.

It does. It so happens that there are many millions of religious people who dare not openly show their rejection for fear of losing their heads, literally. 

These people are not religious because they chose to be, it is because they are made to. They are likely to reject religion more than anybody else.

• KhasimAmeduKhasimAmedu 127 Pts   -   edited August 25
    @Swolliw

I didn't want to make a definitive statement without definitive statistics, so I based that statement purely on my observations, thus why I said "it seems"

"Many millions of religious people" is a false assertion. Whether you choose to accept it, countries that remove those who oppose their religion and ideologies is a minority in comparative to countries that allow freedom of religion and expression. Countries don't need to be democratic to adopt these principles, these are basic human rights as the West likes to refer them.The West was heavily religious in the past, so I doubt "They are likely to reject religion then anything else" is a valid presumption. Large portion of presidents choose to swear an oath on a religious text. The pledge of allegiance mentions that America is a country under God. With these religious traditions rooted in our history, it's going to take a while before the West becomes a true secular society. Not saying that it won't but it's not as simple as "rejecting religion"

I reject the religions which I believe don't conform with the truth, rationally incoherent, absence of intriguing and significant history that assist in supporting it's truth-value, depraved system of morality and law, encourages any form of intellectual, economic, social and moral bankruptcy and many more. 

@JoeKerr
    @Swolliw

I didn't want to make a definitive statement without definitive statistics, so I based that statement purely on my observations, thus why I said "it seems"

"Many millions of religious people" is a false assertion. Whether you choose to accept it, countries that remove those who oppose their religion and ideologies is a minority in comparative to countries that allow freedom of religion and expression. Countries don't need to be democratic to adopt these principles, these are basic human rights as the West likes to refer them.The West was heavily religious in the past, so I doubt "They are likely to reject religion then anything else" is a valid presumption. It's still obligatory for a president to swear an oath on a religious text. The pledge of allegiance mentions that America is a country under God. With these religious traditions rooted in our history, it's going to take a while before the West becomes a true secular society. Not saying that it won't but it's not as simple as "rejecting religion"

I agree with most of what you say. What i don't agree whith  is the '" obligatory" statement. It is not obligatory in the U.S. to swear an oath on religeos text. Presidents  have sworn the oath on the Constitution (I believe it was Adams (One of them) and Teddy Roosevelt. It would also be legal in court.
    @AlofRI

Thank you for correcting me, truthfully I wasn't sure myself if it was "obligatory" but knowing that a large portion of presidents did so, I just assumed. 
    AlofRI
  • @Swolliw

Religion is not ever proven as being confinable to a church, the basic idea of a state or nation's failed attempts to try and confine religion to building structures such as a church is not a legitimate grievance to file before a court. As an assembly of a free united state, the question forms on religion to preserve a false public testimony a  church holds religion secure and no religion can escape its captivity

For an extended amount of time people often attempted to keep religion inside a container labeled church, why would someone do so? The constitutional meaning of religion is as basic as a publicly shared belief.

@ AlofRI
    Presidents  have sworn the oath on the Constitution 
    I do not think you grasp a basic principle when speaking this way about a Presidential or political oath of office. The oath is sworn to protect, preserve and defend the united states consitution. Your interpretation of this process is allowing the idea that the actions they take are structured inside an area of containment to a basic understanding of the larges united state creating the more perfect democracy.

The basic chain of command in a constitutional democratic republic is the people are the entire republic and by preserving that union by the most perfect state of the constitutional connection in the easiest to understand way is the state of that union that dictates the democracy's true size. Whereas there has been a long-term push to use the right to vote as the determination of a democracy sizes.

In basic, it is the legislator's use of taxation that creates or destroys a right to vote, taxation is a principle through which representation is required so becomes the legal means to disperse the obligations to vote in public, the consensus within states held in a constitutional union and citizenship are an overall limitation on who can be proven as a Presdient of Congressman or Presadera and Conveterwomen. 

Quite simply said, any Constitutional united state is nothing like what a lawyer would verbally represent as a recourse of grievance in a court of law. An with a test to the cost of damages and malice all states of the union are subject to dispute for abolishment. 
    AlofRI
  • @AIofRI
    Sorry...for the misspelling of your identity.

I mispell a lot of things since my stroke. No problem
  • piloteerpiloteer 1364 Pts   -  
    AlofRI said:
    I mispell a lot of things since my stroke. No problem
    At least you have a decent excuse. I misspell stuff simply because I'm stuped.  
    TreeMan
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1130 Pts   -   edited August 28
    @KhasimAmedu
    countries that remove those who oppose their religion and ideologies is a minority in comparative to countries that allow freedom of religion and expression.

Come on, you are dreaming by trying to conflate unrelated statements. 

All countries that are under fundamentalist religious rule prohibit the opposition to religion or even speaking a single word of any other belief. People in such countries have no freedom of religious (or non-religious) freedom whatsoever. Do you really want me to list these countries and the population of each? Oh, and they are all Islamic by the way.

• BlastcatBlastcat 178 Pts   -  

Society doesn't. About 80% of the world is religious.

@Blastcat
    About 80% of the world is religious.

That is a completely hollow and meaningless statistic. For example, in Indonesia, religion is compulsory and by your loose figure, two hundred and seventy million people are "religious".

There are many other countries where religion is not only compulsory but anyone who dares utter a word against religion will be summarily dealt with (as well as their families).

In Australia, a recent census showed that less than 14% of Catholics regularly attend Church, perfectly illustrating the point that most people give their religion no more than lip service and are not really "religious" at all.

Most people could not give a toss about God and the hypocrisy, elitism, prejudice, bigotry and hatred that emanate from religious institutions.

Swolliw said:
    @Blastcat
    About 80% of the world is religious.

That is a completely hollow and meaningless statistic. For example, in Indonesia, religion is compulsory and by your loose figure, two hundred and seventy million people are "religious".

There are many other countries where religion is not only compulsory but anyone who dares utter a word against religion will be summarily dealt with (as well as their families).

In Australia, a recent census showed that less than 14% of Catholics regularly attend Church, perfectly illustrating the point that most people give their religion no more than lip service and are not really "religious" at all.

Most people could not give a toss about God and the hypocrisy, elitism, prejudice, bigotry and hatred that emanate from religious institutions.

I went by Wikipedia.

@Blastcat
    I went by Wikipedia.
    Secular[a]/Nonreligious[b]/Agnostic/Atheist1.193 billion15.58%

And you misquoted the link. You said "about 80% of the world is religious"

The article said: "16% of the world's population is not affiliated with any religion."

"Is religious" and "affiliated with (any) religion" have completely different meanings. I am "affiliated" with a local Church however I am not religious in any way.

My correctly presented and researched refutation of your flimsy statistic stands.
    Blastcat

What society are you asking about?
    Dee
  • BlastcatBlastcat 178 Pts   -   edited September 16

"Is religious" and "affiliated with (any) religion" have completely different meanings. I am "affiliated" with a local Church however I am not religious in any way.
    I don't use the word "religious" the same way you do. If you got to a church that promotes some form of religion regularly, are affiliated with it... I'd say you're religious.

When I see people going into a church on Sunday, I think "they are religious".

I use the word religious to mean "relating to or believing in a religion."

Most churches are religious.
    In the states, I think there are a few atheist churches, and I would not call those churches religious. I'd actually call those churches "anti-religious". They get a tax break.. they congregate. They aren't religious.

Do you believe in a god? People who are affiliated with atheist churches probably don't.

@Blastcat
    I find that many, if not most people, who call themselves religious are not really religious and may have some "affiliation" with a Church but when it comes down to it they couldn't give a rat's about God and give their "faith" no more than lip service. I know many Jewish people who bare this out by confessing that they are "atheist Jews". In other words they don't believe in God but are fully into the Jewish culture of festivals, feasts and socializing. Same goes with Christianity...I go to baptisms but I certainly don't believe in God but enjoy meeting up with people at the Church.

When somebody says he firmly believes there is a God, that is different. He is either lying (e.g., politicians currying favor) or deluded.
    Blastcat
  • BlastcatBlastcat 178 Pts   -   edited September 17
    In other words they don't believe in God but are fully into the Jewish culture of festivals, feasts and socializing. Same goes with Christianity...I go to baptisms but I certainly don't believe in God but enjoy meeting up with people at the Church.
    Daniel Dennett says that there are many reasons to believe in God. Not many have to do with thinking that God exists.

Social conformity is strong in us humans.I know quite a few "secular" Jews and a few secular Christians. I don't call these people religious.

Oddly, many people I would call religious who do profess a belief in a god don't like to be called religious. Interesting. Apparently, religion is a dirty word even in God fearing circles these days.