Is it cheaper to keep homeless people on the street, or provide houses for them? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is it cheaper to keep homeless people on the street, or provide houses for them?

Debate Information

Hello:

A few weeks ago I posted a question that involved homelessness..  MOST of you said that it was an intractable and unsolvable problem..  I bet to differ..

Study after study reveal it costs less to give the homeless housing rather than to leave them on the street.

https://www.mic.com/articles/86251/study-reveals-it-costs-less-to-give-the-homeless-housing-than-to-leave-them-on-the-street

Another study says the most cost effective way to help the homeless is to give them homes.

https://www.vox.com/2014/5/30/5764096/homeless-shelter-housing-help-solutions

Even another study says the cheapest way to end homelessness is ridiculously simple according the the largest EVER US study.

https://www.businessinsider.com/santa-clara-homelessness-study-2015-5?r=MX&IR=T

So, are we gonna listen to the people who wasted TRILLIONS of $$'s LOSING the war in Afghanistan, or are we gonna listen to the experts who KNOW??

None of those studies, by the way, said we need to make the homeless pee in a cup BEFORE they got anything..  Truly, they didn't.

excon

Luigi7255

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Luigi7255Luigi7255 286 Pts   -  
    You are partially right here. It is right that giving homes to homeless people is cheaper than leaving them on the street, but with the constant stream of people losing their homes, homelessness is an eternal problem.
    exconBlastcat
    "I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."
  • exconexcon 228 Pts   -   edited August 23
    Luigi7255 said:
    You are partially right here. It is right that giving homes to homeless people is cheaper than leaving them on the street, but with the constant stream of people losing their homes, homelessness is an eternal problem.

Hello L:

None of the solutions given inferred that homelessness, by itself, could be cured by simply buying houses for them..  Certainly, interest rates, foreclosure, eviction and, zoning laws  among others have to be addressed..  Laws regarding bail, drug addiction, prison reform, and psychiatric issues too need to be dealt with at the same time.

Just buying houses ain't gonna do it. 

Is it gonna COST $ billions???  Of course..  But the THRUST of these studies is that the billions it's gonna cost, is LESS than we're gonna spend if we do nothing..

excon
    Blastcat
  • TreeManTreeMan 295 Pts   -  
    I mean, you can't really get good policies from a government that spends billions making missiles to launch at 3rd world countries, eh? Certain politicians always whinge about how expensive social policies are, and turn strangely silent when discussing the military budget.
    @excon
  • all4acttall4actt 265 Pts   -  
    The homeless problem is complex.  Just giving them homes to live in is not going to neccesarily change the problems.  Tucking them away in a home just gets them off the streets.

Granted there are a small portion of the community that housing will help there is a much larger part of it that it won't.  It will be more like a out of site out of mind type of solution.

Unless these communities are setup carefully and fulltimed staffed with the appropriate type of services.  I am afraid they will become another waste of time and money and turn into welfare crime ridden slums.

But I guess in the politcians minds it is just another can they can kick down the road to deal with in the future.  For now if successful they can pat themselves on the back and say see we cleaned up the streets for you.
    excon
  • SonofasonSonofason 363 Pts   -  
    excon said:
    Hello:

A few weeks ago I posted a question that involved homelessness..  MOST of you said that it was an intractable and unsolvable problem..  I bet to differ..

Study after study reveal it costs less to give the homeless housing rather than to leave them on the street.

https://www.mic.com/articles/86251/study-reveals-it-costs-less-to-give-the-homeless-housing-than-to-leave-them-on-the-street

Another study says the most cost effective way to help the homeless is to give them homes.

https://www.vox.com/2014/5/30/5764096/homeless-shelter-housing-help-solutions

Even another study says the cheapest way to end homelessness is ridiculously simple according the the largest EVER US study.

https://www.businessinsider.com/santa-clara-homelessness-study-2015-5?r=MX&IR=T

So, are we gonna listen to the people who wasted TRILLIONS of $$'s LOSING the war in Afghanistan, or are we gonna listen to the experts who KNOW??

None of those studies, by the way, said we need to make the homeless pee in a cup BEFORE they got anything..  Truly, they didn't.

excon

Rather than give them homes, why not give them jobs.  Let them work for their living.  And if they cannot work because they are mentally or physically disabled, then give them the benefits that they ought to be eligible for, so that they can have the money they need to keep a roof, not a mansion, over their heads.
  • BlastcatBlastcat 178 Pts   -  
    TreeMan said:
    I mean, you can't really get good policies from a government that spends billions making missiles to launch at 3rd world countries, eh? Certain politicians always whinge about how expensive social policies are, and turn strangely silent when discussing the military budget.
    @excon

1. I believe that human life can't be priced. It's priceless. I want to live in a society where  people in need are helped out by the experts. Homeless people sometimes have mental illness, for example.. so they would need mental health professionals. And.... it costs a lot of money.
    2. I agree with those who say that buying them houses might not be the best solution. Some homeless people are so sick that they don't WANT to live in a house. Some can't handle owning a house. So, this solution is unrealistic and simplistic. The actual homeless problem is complex.
    3. If I were a politician, I would want to make sure that whatever solution my jurisdiction would adopt would be the most EFFECTIVE solution, within the bounds of my budget. The system as it stands would take a huge blow if we spent all the money to solve all of their problems. I say that we should make progress in that regard, step by step, using science as our guide.
    4. Your argument about the military budget is irrelevant to homelessness.
    5. The solution isn't ending the military, thus saving billions, and it's not spending billions on houses that we know wont really solve the underlying problems causing homelessness.