Why Did God Create Wars? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why Did God Create Wars?

Debate Information

Whilst many people may say that it was in order to teach Americans about geography we cannot overlook the fact that the vast majority of wars have been between religious factions.
Okay, so man has sinned and uses his free will to squabble with others who don't share the same form of worship but should we not hold God responsible for fighting over him in the first place? 
BlastcatTreeMan

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• wokwok 12 Pts   -  
    God never create war..... destruction, damage, and war is created by human hands.
    BlastcatTreeMan
  • iamathiestiamathiest 17 Pts   -  
    I do not believe in god, but I will say that war was developed by humans. It is human history and we have always had the mindset that violence solves problems. Not everyone, but when you look back in time, violence was survival.
  • JeanJean 76 Pts   -  
    I do not believe in god, but I will say that war was developed by humans. It is human history and we have always had the mindset that violence solves problems. Not everyone, but when you look back in time, violence was survival.
    I don't know what you mean by your statement that "violence was survival". Many leaders have been a force of evil in the world. The common man had little or no choice when it came to war. A good example is the Thirty Years War started by the Pope against Protestants. Eventually after all the warring with more than 8 million casualties resulting from military battles as well as from the famine and disease caused by the conflict, the Leaders came to realize that war would not keep Europe Catholic and so the end of the war accepted that northern Europe should be permitted to be Protestant if that is what the Leaders there so wished. Sense prevailed with the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648. The war had been senseless and all in the name of God.
    TreeMan
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1130 Pts   -  
    @wok
    God never create war..... destruction, damage, and war is created by human hands.

Not according to the Bible, which is what I based my argument upon.

BlastcatTreeMan
    @iamathiest
    I do not believe in god, but I will say that war was developed by humans.

Yes it was however I make the point that it is God (or rather the fervent belief in God) that pushes those who are hell-bent on violence, to go further "in the name of God".

BlastcatTreeMan
  • SonofasonSonofason 363 Pts   -  
    Swolliw said:
    @iamathiest
    I do not believe in god, but I will say that war was developed by humans.

Yes it was however I make the point that it is God (or rather the fervent belief in God) that pushes those who are hell-bent on violence, to go further "in the name of God".

So then, for example if there is a tribe of religious people minding their own business, and another tribe comes along to pillage and rape them, it is possible for the tribe that is being persecuted to be so hell-bent on revenge that they would go so far as to actually win the war "in the name of God"?

That sounds like a good thing to me.
    BlastcatTreeMan
  • BlastcatBlastcat 178 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: The argument assumes the god of the Bible is real

Im an atheist too. I don't believe in any god.
    But if I were a CHRISTIAN.. I would believe that god has a plan. And I would be very confused.
    I left the faith because of the cognitive dissonance that it caused.
    @Sonofason
    So then, for example if there is a tribe of religious people minding their own business, and another tribe comes along to pillage and rape them, it is possible for the tribe that is being persecuted to be so hell-bent on revenge that they would go so far as to actually win the war "in the name of God"?

Yes, and also bearing in mind that the aggressors would no doubt be motivated by God. There are more than enough examples of that happening constantly on the African continent of Christian factions attacking Muslim villages and (sometimes) vice versa, motivated purely by the desire to prove who has the best imaginary friend.

TreeMan
    Swolliw said:
    @Sonofason

Yes, and also bearing in mind that the aggressors would no doubt be motivated by God. There are more than enough examples of that happening constantly on the African continent of Christian factions attacking Muslim villages and (sometimes) vice versa, motivated purely by the desire to prove who has the best imaginary friend.

It seems to me that the wars start due to human conflict, which have absolutely nothing at all to do with God and religion, but a fervent fight can be prolonged, with hope of winning the war in the name of God.

Again, that is not a bad thing, that is, to win the war.
  • SonofasonSonofason 363 Pts   -   edited September 13
    Swolliw said:
    @Sonofason

I think if you examine what is going on down on the African continent, you will find that the conflicts that have been initiated has absolutely nothing at all to do with God.  But since you believe that there would be no conflicts without beliefs in God, I'd like you to show your evidence that this is true, and prove your belief to be true.
    TreeMan
  • wokwok 12 Pts   -  
    However, if you look back at the crusades, it was more based on Constantinople's fear of the collapse of its empire from the invasion of Muslims where at that time Muslims had got the holy area of ​​Yarussalem@Jean    @Jean
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1130 Pts   -   edited September 13
    @Sonofason
    But since you believe that there would be no conflicts without beliefs in God, 

I don't believe such and never said that I did....you stretched a point and made an erroneous conclusion.....once again.

Swolliw said:
    @Sonofason
    But since you believe that there would be no conflicts without beliefs in God, 

I don't believe such and never said that I did....you stretched a point and made an erroneous conclusion.....once again.

The point I made is that belief in God can help win wars.  The point you made was invalid.  Religion and God do not start wars.
    BlastcatTreeMan
    @Sonofason
    Religion and God do not start wars.

In that case, why don't you go over to Afghanistan and tell that to the Taliban, and, while you are at it, have a couple of chats with ISIS, Al Quida, Hezbollah, Boko Harem, and Aqa Mul Mujahidin? They may just happen to tell you otherwise.

All I need you to tell me before you go is, which do you prefer, oak or mahogany?

Swolliw said:
    @Sonofason
    Religion and God do not start wars.

In that case, why don't you go over to Afghanistan and tell that to the Taliban, and, while you are at it, have a couple of chats with ISIS, Al Quida, Hezbollah, Boko Harem, and Aqa Mul Mujahidin? They may just happen to tell you otherwise.

All I need you to tell me before you go is, which do you prefer, oak or mahogany?

Okay,  I give...you are right.  Religion can be a contributing cause to starting wars.  I was looking at it more like guns don't kill people.  People kill people with guns.  But in truth, having guns can certainly contribute to people being killed by guns...and so it goes with war and religion.
    @Sonofason
    But in truth, having guns can certainly contribute to people being killed by guns...and so it goes with war and religion.

Excellent analogy there. Put the two together (guns, or explosives and religion) and you have a deadly cocktail I think. I'm not taking sides with the Israel / Palestine dispute but I feel sorry for those checkpoint guards when confronted by a kid wearing a backpack or a woman wearing a Burka.