Should Life Skills Be Taught In American Schools? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should Life Skills Be Taught In American Schools?

Debate Information

The American educational system is vastly lacking in terms of providing the knowledge and skills essential in life.  These include:  The dynamics of success, dealing with failure, the pursuit of happiness, managing emotions, building good relationships, and the reality of aging and death.

Let’s rethink our educational system to better prepare our children for their future lives as well as their future jobs.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 4301 Pts   -   edited September 10
    I think it should , where I live they want philosophy taught in all schools so as to give children the ability to comprehend the very subjects you reference 

Most countries use antiquated systems of rote learning which hasn’t changed in centuries.

I learned as a child speed mathematics using the Trachtenberg system of speed mathematics which not alone is superbly quick but also highly efficient and fun , I also find it incredible that memory systems are not part of the educational system where the average pupil cannot memorise  a list of say 10 objects or a list of numbers after one reading another fun but simple skill , philosophy is also fun to learn yet mostly is not taught 

Unfortunately the skills I learned were because I was interested as a child in everything like most kids so I had a wonderful local library that had books for children on speed mathematics and memory training ( a fabulous book on such by Harry Lorayne ) I still use these skills weekly and I’m glad I took the time to learn 

Our educational systems need to be dragged screaming into the 21 st century and the systems of speed math , memory and philosophy are as old as the hills highly valuable yet rarely used 
    piloteer
  • exconexcon 228 Pts   -   edited September 10
    Dee said:
    I think it should ,
    Hello Dee:

Like what???  How to open a checking account, or how to write a resume?  Sure!

excon
    piloteer
  • JeanJean 76 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Information

School counselors do teach skills for success in life. Some states are better than others in the provision of guidance.
  • anarchist100anarchist100 556 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold
    YES, YES, YES!
    They should teach things in school that will actually benefit children!
  • piloteerpiloteer 1364 Pts   -  
    Dee said:
    I think it should , where I live they want philosophy taught in all schools so as to give children the ability to comprehend the very subjects you reference 

Most countries use antiquated systems of rote learning which hasn’t changed in centuries.

I learned as a child speed mathematics using the Trachtenberg system of speed mathematics which not alone is superbly quick but also highly efficient and fun , I also find it incredible that memory systems are not part of the educational system where the average pupil cannot memorise  a list of say 10 objects or a list of numbers after one reading another fun but simple skill , philosophy is also fun to learn yet mostly is not taught 

Unfortunately the skills I learned were because I was interested as a child in everything like most kids so I had a wonderful local library that had books for children on speed mathematics and memory training ( a fabulous book on such by Harry Lorayne ) I still use these skills weekly and I’m glad I took the time to learn 

Our educational systems need to be dragged screaming into the 21 st century and the systems of speed math , memory and philosophy are as old as the hills highly valuable yet rarely used 
    My country is fighting tooth and nail trying to implement common core math, even though it is demonstrably far more efficient and effective at teaching the concepts of math instead of having them memorize a bunch of answers. 

I also think far more attention should be spent on philosophy, as well as other cultures and current events. But unfortunately my country is always more interested buying weapons for our military to be ready for the next bombing campaign.    
  • JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 120 Pts   -  
    @piloteer
    What's your country?
    @JulesKorngold

I agree with you so long as what you call "life skills" is not code for "practical skills", or simply teaching children that their only worth or value in life, or society is their economic output. Enlightened ideas and topics such as ethics, science, and arts& literature are very important in our modern age, especially since our global economy is quickly becoming a service based economy rather than a manufacturing economy.    

@piloteer
    What's your country?
    America, from sea to shining sea!