Should We Teach Atheism In Schools? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should We Teach Atheism In Schools?

Debate Information

We have thrashed the topic of religion in schools until the cows come home and it seems that in modern, civilized, multi-cultural society where we have secular governance, religion has petered out in popularity. In any case, trying to provide instruction in such a diverse range of religions is nigh impossible.
Atheism, on the other hand, is non-denominational, non-sectarian and neutral in terms of thinking. Atheism is universal and subjects such as realism, critical thinking and the science of evolution can be freely taught without bias.
Blastcat

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• They do teach it in schools, schools teach it all...
  • BlastcatBlastcat 362 Pts   -  

I say that the sure fire way to teach atheism is to teach comparative religion.
    OakTownA
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1297 Pts   -  
    @Blastcat

That would work.

"In the beginning God didn't create the Heavens and the Earth."

"Worldly life is short, so don't turn to Allah before you don't return to Allah"....that'll get their heads a scratching.

"A grain of devotion is no more valuable thank tons of faithlessness."

"A religious man falls seven times....and is called a bumbling id-iot."

• BlastcatBlastcat 362 Pts   -   edited September 16
    Swolliw said:
    @Blastcat

That would work.

"In the beginning God didn't create the Heavens and the Earth."

"Worldly life is short, so don't turn to Allah before you don't return to Allah"....that'll get their heads a scratching.

"A grain of devotion is no more valuable thank tons of faithlessness."

"A religious man falls seven times....and is called a bumbling id-iot."

I had to take "Religion" in high school. We studied very many religions. I thought to myself, "they all claim to have the truth with a capital T".

I think that increased, rather than decreased my skepticism of religious claims. Oddly, the class teacher was a Catholic nun. All the boys thought she was hot. I don't think that helped my religion, either.

I don't recall if atheism was taught. After all, atheism isn't usually listed as a world "Religion".
    PlaffelvohfenOakTownA
    @Blastcat
    All the boys thought she was hot. I don't think that helped my religion, either.

It has always been one of my gripes about why Muslims insist on women wearing Burkas. It is designed to prevent wayward feelings of desire in men. But I think it drives any hormonal kid nuts wondering what's underneath.

BlastcatOakTownA
  • BlastcatBlastcat 362 Pts   -   edited September 16
    Swolliw said:
    @Blastcat
    All the boys thought she was hot. I don't think that helped my religion, either.

It has always been one of my gripes about why Muslims insist on women wearing Burkas. It is designed to prevent wayward feelings of desire in men. But I think it drives any hormonal kid nuts wondering what's underneath.

I agree. But having them running around naked would not help my case.
    ( I'm sitting here imagining being a hormonal kid )

Let's face it, back in the day lipstick on a rock could make me horny.
    OakTownA
    @Blastcat
    Let's face it, back in the day lipstick on a rock could make me horny.

Ah yes, them was the days. I remember checking out the bike seats in the girls bike shed at school.

BlastcatOakTownA
    TOMY said:
    @Swolliw ; Why teach Atheism when it doesn't exist??  All so called atheists know God exists

You believe that atheism doesn't exist?
    You believe that atheists know that God exists?

Tomy, you are in denial of reality.
    Kinda sad, might be dangerous.

Some people think that the COVID is a hoax, they deny reality as well,
    Please, try to accept reality, tomy, it's all you really have.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -   edited September 17
    @TOMY

; Why teach Atheism when it doesn't exist??  All so called atheists know God exists

; Why teach Christianity when  it doesn't exist??  All so called christians know God does not exist
    Blastcat
  • Luigi7255Luigi7255 440 Pts   -  
    @TOMY

Ah yes. Atheists are theists. Even though the definition of atheist is: 

a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

So how about you look at a dictionary and leave.

Plaffelvohfen
    "I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    @TOMY

When you can prove, the Christian God does not exist get back with me.. Thanks!!

Atheism is the rejection of the claim made by theists that a god exists the burden of proof is on you to prove your god exists good luck with that not one believer has come even close …Thanks 
    Plaffelvohfen
    @TOMY

The list could go on. I personally don't believe, but even then, there's no way to prove any points.

Evolution - Could be created by God, no way to know.

Heaven and Hell - Could just not exist, no way to know.

Life - Could've been created by God in the Precambrian period, no way to know.

You get the point.

And don't even think about using the Bible as a point to prove God.
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    @TOMY

Atheism is for people who love sin and cant deal with the reality of God.  It's a crutch for them...  God described it best..and God is NEVER wrong!  

Psalm 53:1 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, and their ways are vile; there is not one who does good.

When you can prove the Bible wrong... Let's talk then.  thanks!!

Christianity  is for people who love sin but cant deal with the reality there is God.  It's a crutch for them...  Reality  described it best..reality is NEVER wrong!  

Non sense 53:1 The fool says in his heart, "There is a God." They are corrupt, and their ways are vile; there is not one who does good.

When you can prove the Bible right ... Let's talk then.  thanks!!

Blastcat
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    @TOMY

;  I was right you are one of those fake atheists that can't prove their claims LOL

The Bible proves itself right and the fact you can't prove otherwise proves it.  Thanks for playing and having no thoughts of your own!!  You did prove you "Feel" you are atheist though!

;  I was right you are one of those fake christians that can't prove their claims LOL

The Bible disproves itself right and the fact you can't prove otherwise proves it.  Thanks for playing and having no thoughts of your own!!  You did prove you "Feel" you are christian  though!

PlaffelvohfenBlastcat
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 2836 Pts   -  
    @TOMY
    The Bible proves itself right
    This is a debate site, not a preaching platform... Circular reasoning is a sure way to lose a debate, and you just did... 
    Dee
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    @TOMY

they break so easily 

Well that’s Christians for you ……been awhile since your last account here Christ warrior  …..I just reported you 
    PlaffelvohfenBlastcat
  • Luigi7255Luigi7255 440 Pts   -   edited September 17
    @TOMY

That's because the Bible isn't a reliable source for everything you dunce.

"Atheists don't exist"? So apparently everything other than Christianity is non-existent and never has existed because they don't "believe" in the "true god" according to your logic.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    @TOMY

You seem upset you lost the debate.. calling me the names of your friends won't change anything.  Maybe take a debating class... just sayin'

Enjoy your trolling Christ warrior I just keep reporting you 
    PlaffelvohfenBlastcat
  • Luigi7255Luigi7255 440 Pts   -   edited September 17
    @TOMY

You were the one that started going on the offensive. You were stating that "You only have your feelings" when you are so deep down in random anger at atheists that you didn't realize that you were WRONG ABOUT ATHEISM TOO.

Atheism is NOT a religion. Atheism is the LACK of belief in a religion.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    @Luigi7255

You’re wasting your time with it this is Christ warrior with a new account I keep reporting him I suggest others do the same 
    PlaffelvohfenBlastcat
    @Dee

Eh. You're right. This guy will not stop personally attacking everybody that doesn't have a belief that aligns with his, as I can clearly see.
    PlaffelvohfenDee
    @TOMY

I'm not wasting my time with you, Christwarrior.
    PlaffelvohfenDee
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4155 Pts   -  
    It does not make sense to teach atheism at school; why teach lack of belief in something? What should be taught is rigorous methodology approximating the scientific method and deriving from it positive statements.

Teaching kids that there are no reasons to believe in god is as useful as teaching them that there are no reasons to believe in gnomes, fire-breathing dragons or Jedi. There is a reason burden of proof is such a fundamental concept in logic, and its purpose is exactly to avoid having to disprove the necessity of every imaginable possibility. Teach kids burden of proof properly, and you have taught them all they need to know about religion as well. From then, it is up to them to decide whether to apply this principle rigorously or not. You cannot make these decisions for kids, you can only give them the tools and let them figure out how best (and if at all) to apply those tools.
    Blastcat
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4155 Pts   -   edited September 17
    TOMY said:

What is your foundation for your morality?   What is it based on?  if you claim to be atheist you don't have any foundation you are just a clump of cells that came together by pure random accident.
    I think that if you cannot imagine morality without believing in a bearded guy in the sky, then you have already lost the game of life intellectually.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • BlastcatBlastcat 362 Pts   -   edited September 17

No the China virus is real.. Atheism is not.. it's a cop out.    At best you are agnostic... When you can prove, the Christian God does not exist get back with me.. Thanks!!

1. It's not called the china virus.
    2. Things that dont exist can't be cop outs.
    3. You might prefer another label than atheist. I don't really care as long as I know what you mean. You didn't explain what you mean by agnostic, so I don't know what you mean. At this point, you might as well be babbling.
    4. I can't prove that your god, or fairies don't exist, so I guess I wont get back to you. No big loss, quite frankly. Enjoy your unjustified beliefs !

It does not make sense to teach atheism at school; why teach lack of belief in something?
    You might not be interested in or understand epistemology.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1663 Pts   -  
    @JeffreyBlankenship
    Do they? Most schools I know of follow a multi-faith, diverse, accepting policy of religious education.. do tell me if you know of any exceptions.
    @TOMY
    My friend, you have completely missed the point of atheism. The definition of atheism is a rejection of the God hypothesis - at which point did you come to the conclusion that 'all atheists know God exists'?
    @TOMY
    No, the God of the Bible does not exist. There is no evidence to support that claim.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1719 Pts   -  
    What would there be to teach regarding atheism?

"Does God exist?"
    "Is there a heaven or hell?"
    "What happens to people after they die?"

• SwolliwSwolliw 1297 Pts   -   edited September 17
    @TOMY @Blastcat
    When you can prove, the Christian God does not exist get back with me.. Thanks!!

It is preposterous to demand anyone to disprove something that isn't even proven in the first place.

When you can prove that green elephants with pink wings (or any other absurd thing that is unproven) don't exist, get back to me.