Why Don't Christians Go to Hell? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.


Communities








Why Don't Christians Go to Hell?

Debate Information

I wonder if some knowledgeable Christian (sounds a bit paradoxical, doesn't it?) explain how being a member of his particular denomination is going to get him to heaven in the afterlife.
After all, there are approximately thirty thousand Christian denominations, each claiming to be the only pathway to salvation.

Also, we need to take into account that there are more than ten thousand religions worldwide and each claiming to be the only pathway to God.
So, isn't it the case that a Christian, say, a Catholic, has diddlysquat chances of getting into heaven even if he is devout in his faith?



Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +




Post Argument Now Debate Details +

    Arguments


  • AlofRIAlofRI 1475 Pts   -  
    Because hell is a figment of religous imagination. Nobody goes there.
    excon
  • BlastcatBlastcat 362 Pts   -   edited September 19
    AlofRI said:
    Because hell is a figment of religous imagination. Nobody goes there.
    How did you arrive at that conclusion?

  • exconexcon 324 Pts   -   edited September 20
    Blastcat said:
    AlofRI said:
    Because hell is a figment of religous imagination. Nobody goes there.
    How did you arrive at that conclusion?

    Hello B:

    I'll answer that, if you don't mind..  Look.  I'd LIKE to believe that stuff..  It makes me feel all warm and cozy.. And, if you can show me any way to test it, to find out IF it's real, I'll be your friend forever.   And if it is real, I'll go to heaven too.. 

    Wow..  I'm all warm and cozy now.

    excon

    SwolliwAlofRI
  • BlastcatBlastcat 362 Pts   -  
    excon said:
    Blastcat said:
    AlofRI said:
    Because hell is a figment of religous imagination. Nobody goes there.
    How did you arrive at that conclusion?

    Hello B:

    I'll answer that, if you don't mind..  Look.  I'd LIKE to believe that stuff..  It makes me feel all warm and cozy.. And, if you can show me any way to test it, to find out IF it's real, I'll be your friend forever.   And if it is real, I'll go to heaven too.. 

    Wow..  I'm all warm and cozy now.

    excon


    it's pretty rare that I get to get a conversion, live
    Enjoy your baptism !
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1297 Pts   -  
    @AlofRI
    Because hell is a figment of religous imagination. Nobody goes there.

    I think that those of reasonable intellect would understand that I am speaking hypothetically since, by the same token, Heaven and God are also figments of religious imagination.

    Blastcat
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1475 Pts   -  
    Blastcat said:
    AlofRI said:
    Because hell is a figment of religous imagination. Nobody goes there.
    How did you arrive at that conclusion?

    How do you arrive at any other conclusion? By religious imagination, that's how.
    Dee
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1297 Pts   -  
    @AlofRI
    How do you arrive at any other conclusion? By religious imagination, that's how.

    In which case, it hardly requires much intellect, does it?

    Blastcat
  • BlastcatBlastcat 362 Pts   -  
    Swolliw said:
    @AlofRI
    How do you arrive at any other conclusion? By religious imagination, that's how.

    In which case, it hardly requires much intellect, does it?

    I agree.

    I distinguish "imagination" from "Intellect. Well said, S.

  • BlastcatBlastcat 362 Pts   -   edited September 21
    Swolliw said:
    @AlofRI
    Because hell is a figment of religous imagination. Nobody goes there.

    I think that those of reasonable intellect would understand that I am speaking hypothetically since, by the same token, Heaven and God are also figments of religious imagination.


    Nobody goes to Hogwarts, either. There's a huge distinction between "real" places and imaginary places. But you are quite right to remind him that you are making a hypothetical case about a hypothetical case about myths.

    However, we live in "interesting times".

    Too many people believe in things without caring about justification. Too many politicians are happy to enable their unjustified beliefs for their personal political gain. They have beliefs like they have pants. They put them on and basically forget about them until they have to take them off. In other words, they don't even try to justify their beliefs. They are proud to "have them" .. presumably, they are also proud to wear pants in public. Some "Proud Boys" are proud to promote violent anarchy.

    That's how we got the failed coup attempt on Jan 6. That's how we have religions.
    Bad thinking can and does have disastrous and deadly consequences.

    A sound epistemology is the only cure.
    Maybe millions have to die so that people start noticing. I have been interested in epistemology since about 2010. Lucky me. Now the topic is EXTREMELY relevant to "fake news" and anti-vaxx.

    More than relevant.. it's CRUCIAL to our survival.
    To not have a sound epistemology is not only irresponsible, it's deadly dangerous.

    A clear and present danger to us all.
    I'm happy to be a tiny bit ahead of the game. I want to spread compassion and critical thinking, and I'm happy to note that a FEW of the members in here seem to agree.

    Now, i need to convince those who do not.

    Cheers!



  • SwolliwSwolliw 1297 Pts   -  
    @Blastcat
    Now, i need to convince those who do not.

    Really, everyone has their own form of escape and show me one person who is 100% cognizant of 100% of what is going on I could show you a complete maniac who is well and truly on the far end of the spectrum.

    I have always had a go at religion because, as a form of escape, its negative values are very damaging and far outweigh anything good that it ever intended to bring.

    As for me...I have a music and photography studio and I enjoy nothing more at the end of the day than sitting down with my Telecaster and a couple ....okay, a few Peroni...ahhhh Heaven.

  • BlastcatBlastcat 362 Pts   -  
    Swolliw said:
    @Blastcat
    Now, i need to convince those who do not.

    Really, everyone has their own form of escape and show me one person who is 100% cognizant of 100% of what is going on I could show you a complete maniac who is well and truly on the far end of the spectrum.

    I have always had a go at religion because, as a form of escape, its negative values are very damaging and far outweigh anything good that it ever intended to bring.

    As for me...I have a music and photography studio and I enjoy nothing more at the end of the day than sitting down with my Telecaster and a couple ....okay, a few Peroni...ahhhh Heaven.


    ha Peroni.. has a bit of a anise flavour at the end. Brilliant birra !

    Swolliw
Sign In or Register to comment.

Back To Top

DebateIsland.com

| The Best Online Debate Experience!
© 2021 DebateIsland.com, all rights reserved. DebateIsland.com | The Best Online Debate Experience! Debate topics you care about in a friendly and fun way. Come try us out now. We are totally free!

Contact us

customerservice@debateisland.com
Terms of Service

Get In Touch