frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

How Do We Explain Things?

Debate Information

@Jean
I would write a comment if the Opening Post was sensible.
https://debateisland.com/discussion/7420/what-now-in-afghanistan

It was put to me by another member, and I won't mention Blastcat's name here, but what was suggested is that, instead of lecturing you on good table manners, I should explain what the post was about because it can be misconstrued if one is in a certain frame of mind. And indeed, I could have misconstrued the meaning behind "Quit lecturing me. It is bad manners". It is really a cry for help to explain what the thread really means and what intelligent arguments it was designed to provoke.

Sooooo, the over-riding gist of the thread is the possibility that women in Afghanistan are going to be badly mis-treated now that the ultra-conservative Taliban regime has taken control of the country.

First off we are introduced to the narrator who is trying to make out that he is a real cool, modern guy who is up with the trends. The irony of course, is that "you can check out any time you like but you can never leave" is lifted from an old Eagles song. It neatly seques into the implication that those people (especially women) are locked in their own country and it's too late to escape now.

But the next part is interesting because the guy is still trying to be real hip before delivering the real heavy news...."all organic and elevated on totally new level"....nothing like a couple of up-to-the-minute cliches. Did you notice though that, here, he introduces the recurring theme, "God rules and God is good". They are blaming God for their horrible oppression.

Now, comes the heavy stuff...oh, incidentally, Tommy Hilfiger and Nike Airs are proprietary names of cool gear for guys, see, he's still trying to look hip. Burkas though are not exactly hip by any stretch of the imagination and it is here we see the great contrast and divide as to what men can do and what women can't.

Then, whammo, he hits us with the real hard stuff. You see, it was a cunning play on words in that men over there smoke heaps of hashish and get "stoned", meaning "under the influence of a narcotic" . If a man gets caught adulterating, he gets a slap on the wrist whereas a woman is buried up to her neck and people throw "stones" at her until her lifeless head resembles pasta sauce. So see, it is a pun on the word "stoned".

I think the next stanza needs no explanation...guys can go out and enjoy themselves while the womenfolk must stay home and do all the chores....Hi-Lux and AK-47s....that guy just doesn't give up on the hip language, does he?
And the last bit is just a little poke at Islam I suppose because those people have to face the West and pray to Allah five times a day....so therefore, when you think about it, their derrieres will be pointing in an easterly direction, if my bearings are correct. And you would have to admit that eating all that turmeric must take its toll on the digestive system.

So, I trust that I have elucidated in simple language so that you can understand what the thread is all about. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask and in the meantime, I look forward to your eloquent and thoughtful reply.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments