frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

How does anarchism even make sense?

Debate Information

1. Law is imperfect executed by imperfect individuals. The best way to fix it is from the inside. You shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. We have 200 years of history….and a history thats improving over time as the basis for these claims in the US.
  2. Not all coercion is the same. For instance, the the level of coercion in the US compared to dictatorships is orders of magnitude of difference. Also, not all instances of freedom invasion are bad. Grouping all coercion together is really, really unhelpful from a utilitarian or truth perspective.
  3. When I'm asked not to infringe on the rights of others--that doesn't infringe on my rights. I would imagine that form most people this is fine. And I seriously question those who think this is a real infringement.
  4. Clear expectations and lack of extra-stress provided by clear law and reasonably predictable justice is incredibly helpful.
  5. Anarchism would experience rather difficult issues in the realm of national security.
  6. Law deters vigilantism which risks cycles of violence.
  7. The alternative, which is Private security forces risk arm races and cycles of violence. This is net-worse from a freedom or security perspective.
  8. Other forms of power and coercion would likely fill the gap. Plus the unpredictability of such a situation would create the risk of misperception…along with arms races and violence.
  9. If we all started from an exactly equal place, it might make sense. But thats not the case due to class, educational differences, etc…. I think those at the bottom would be expected to gamble (i.e. be irrational) even more so than they are now.
  10. Perfect rationality doesn't exist in human form. People sacrifice the long term for short term interests. We need the force of the law. Humans are emotional, make decisions based on imperfect knowledge, and even some based on pleasure seeking in the short run.
  11. Many of the reason why relativism is a bad idea seem like reason--seem like the same reasons why anarchism would experience similar problems.
  12. Even Ayn Rand the radical individualist wrote a short indict of anarchism ( n Virtue of Selfishness).
  13. Also, you can always vote with your feet. You have the freedom to choose the types of freedom that are most amenable to the types of freedom you want or desire.
  14. If anarchists want more freedom in society, the way to do so is to is to help reform our prison system or other specific manifestations of injustice. That is a far, far more viable form of effective social change.
  15. Debating the areas where government should be reduced is much more helpful on a case by case basis. You more accurately and concretely target the actual issues you have with government and its policies.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments