Is This Weird? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is This Weird?

Debate Information

Weird: suggesting something supernatural; unearthly.

We find the word "weird" most commonly used in a slang context, e.g. "Look at that guy, he looks really weird".
However, if we delve into the correct meaning of the word we find that it refers more specifically to the supernatural.
Is this an apt word to describe someone who believes in supernatural phenomena?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BlastcatBlastcat 261 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: We should speak in a way that most people can understand.

1. Your use of weird is not very popular. It might have been before.

2. Most people would use supernaturalist, theist, or even superstitious. Some people would use the word "spiritual". It all depends on the audience, learn how they speak, so that they will understand.

Therefore, it's always best to make sure that we use words that our audience will understand, and it's even better if we try to make sure that most people will. Using Weird to mean that one believes in the supernatural isn't common, and indeed, one could say it's weird.
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1209 Pts   -  
    @Blastcat ;
    it's always best to make sure that we use words that our audience will understand,

Quite so.

I trust then that supernaturalists would understand the words, "stu-pid" and "airhead".

• BlastcatBlastcat 261 Pts   -  
    Swolliw said:
    @Blastcat ;
    it's always best to make sure that we use words that our audience will understand,

Quite so.

I trust then that supernaturalists would understand the words, "stu-pid" and "airhead".

I'm quite sure that they would.
    And then, they would shun you for your use.

Not sure if being all alone ranting at the computer screen is what you really want to accomplish in your conversations.

I know I don't.
    I want to build relationships, so we don't have to fight.

@Blastcat

Leave me out of "we", I don't fight and never do so. I debate intelligently and when I disagree with a point of view I present a considered argument backed with reason and evidence.

I have made a fair just argument in this case.

stu-pid [ˈstjuːpɪd] ADJECTIVE having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

airhead This is a word I use for slang to describe a person whose sense of reality is distorted.

Anyone who firmly believes that there is anything supernatural (including God) is believing contrary to reality and facts since there has been not one bit of evidence to confirm any supernatural presence. I suppose the correct term to use is "delusion".

CYDdharta
  • NeopesdomNeopesdom 129 Pts   -  
    This has to be embarrassing . . . if you’re an atheist. A new study performed at the University of York used targeted magnetism to shut down part of the brain. The result: belief in God disappeared among more than 30 percent of participants.

That in itself may not seem so embarrassing, but consider that the specific part of the brain they frazzled was the posterior medial frontal cortex—the part associated with detecting and solving problems, i.e., reasoning and logic.

In other words, when you shut down the part of the brain most associated with logic and reasoning, greater levels of atheism result.

You’ve heard the phrase, “I don’t have enough faith to be an atheist”? Apparently we can now also say, “I have too many brains to be an atheist.”

For a group that makes so much noise vaunting its superior prowess with logic and reasoning, this study has got to be quite a deflator. For a group that claims to be rooted primarily in logic and reason, and to exist for little reason other than that they have used logic and reason to free themselves from belief in God and, as they allege, superstition and fairy tales, this study is the equivalent of a public depanting­—i.e., the would-be emperor’s got no clothes. - uglyhedgehog.com

This was in reference to Research that is simply beyond belief - News and events, University of York

“Never argue with an id'iot They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
    @Neopesdom
    A new study performed 

The article is not new, it was allegedly posted in 2015 and concluded absolutely nothing except that there are loonies who will jump on any sort of conspiracy in order to compensate for their bed-wetting issues earlier in life.

• NeopesdomNeopesdom 129 Pts   -   edited October 9
    >>The article is not new, it was allegedly posted in 2015 and concluded absolutely nothing except that there are loonies who will jump on any sort of conspiracy in order to compensate for their bed-wetting issues earlier in life.

I'll take my evidence over your.... nothing .......any day. Sorry to hear about your bed-wetting issues.

“Never argue with an id'iot They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
  • maxxmaxx 768 Pts   -  
    word usage AND their definitions changes over time. I am sure as of today; weird means odd, out of place, different.  However if you look it up, the original definition means fate.@Swolliw
  • DeeDee 4385 Pts   -  
    @Blastcat

How’s that working for you seeing as you’ve alienated most on here with your lofty moral pronouncements?
    Blastcat
    @maxx
    I am sure as of today; weird means odd, out of place, different.

Sorry to break your confidence however I did double check the definition as per the thread and it is completely correct.

Those comics are beginning to pile up under your bed again, aren't they?

• maxxmaxx 768 Pts   -   edited October 10
    @maxx
    Weird | Definition of Weird by Merriam-Webster   Y]@Swolliw

Yep, and what does the Merriam-Webster go on to define "fate" as?  A: "a power that is believed to control what happens in the future"

In other words, "fate" is no more sensical that supernatural, airy fairy nonsense. There is no such thing as fate....oh except in those comics I suppose.

• maxxmaxx 768 Pts   -  
    i dont know about you brits, but in everyday usage, when you call someone weird, you are not saying they believe in the supernatural. you are calling themod, creepy, diffferent and so on@Swolliw
    @maxx
    i dont know about you brits,
    Yeah, and Canadians are called, "you Yanks", are they?
    when you call someone weird, you are not saying they believe in the supernatural. you are calling themod, creepy,
    Yes, we know that and was covered in the OP......."We find the word "weird" most commonly used in a slang context......."
    But then the OP goes on to state....."However, if we delve into the correct meaning of the word we find that it refers more specifically to the supernatural."

Funny how some people can veer off the subject for "whatever the reason". Could it be to divert attention away from the obvious?
  • maxxmaxx 768 Pts   -  
    Weird is a word that describes.   It describes someone out of the ordinary,  it depends on the context of how you use it.@Swolliw
    @maxx
    Weird is a word that describes.   It describes someone out of the ordinary,  it depends on the context of how you use it.

That's right. And anyone who believes that there is a God or anything supernatural, is weird.

In this context, weird means nit-witted and deluded.

• maxxmaxx 768 Pts   -  
    again, you generalize based on an opinion. weird are those who are different and out of the ordinary and religion is hardly different or out of the ordinary for it is world spread.  it is only weird to those who do not believe in a god.@Swolliw
  • SonofasonSonofason 367 Pts   -   edited October 13
    Swolliw said:
    Weird: suggesting something supernatural; unearthly.

We find the word "weird" most commonly used in a slang context, e.g. "Look at that guy, he looks really weird".
    However, if we delve into the correct meaning of the word we find that it refers more specifically to the supernatural.
    Is this an apt word to describe someone who believes in supernatural phenomena?
    Of course not.

The word weird is not confined to the supernatural.  A definition of weird that you are not considering in your comment is:  "of strange or extraordinary character".  In this context, the word weird does not necessarily suggest anything to do with the supernatural.  You may surely find the beliefs of a believer weird, and even strange.  Strange is unusual or surprising in a way that is unsettling or hard to understand.  Surely, you do not understand what the believer believes, and I can see why their beliefs might be unsettling for you.  After-all, if they are right, you're going to hell.  That should make everyone feel a bit unsettled.  

Furthermore the meaning of the word strange as you are inferring is "of, relating to, or caused by witchcraft or the supernatural."  A person who believes in the supernatural is not "of" the supernatural.  The person who believes in the supernatural is not "relating to" the supernatural.  His beliefs can be considered to be related to the supernatural...not the person.  His beliefs could be considered weird, but the person himself is not weird.  He has beliefs that are weird.  And finally, a person who believes in the supernatural is not caused by the supernatural.  His beliefs may be caused by the supernatural, but the person is not caused by the supernatural, and therefore cannot be considered to be weird.  Again, his beliefs are weird, but the person is not weird.  Unless of course you think it's okay to call a gay person a fagot.  But you see, I would not do that...because a fagot is a bundle of sticks, and a bundle of sticks is surely not a gay person.  Nevertheless, I digress, as you have.  If you want to get in the business of name calling, then go right ahead.  I'll take the high road on this, and leave you out of it.

Now...Satan is weird.  Angels are weird.  Witchcraft is weird.  Life is weird.  Existence is weird.  The big bang is weird.
    Blastcat
    @maxx
    is hardly different or out of the ordinary for it is world spread.  it is only weird to those who do not believe in a god.

Again you are stating the obvious. Of course a self-centered god fearing nit-wit would not think he his weird and of course, everybody else (who is not a God-fearing nit-wit) would think he is weird.

Apart from that you made the usual ad populum fallacy. Just because believing in God is world spread, it doesn't make it acceptable or somehow all right. Robbery and murder are world spread but that hardly mitigates the crime or somehow make it acceptable, does it?

In other words, deluded nit-wits are world spread.

And in case you didn't get it before, being a scientist or intelligent person does not mean that such a person is not a deluded nitwit. Being idi-otic, nit-witted and deluded is a condition that crosses all boundaries.

• SonofasonSonofason 367 Pts   -  
    Swolliw said:
    @maxx
    is hardly different or out of the ordinary for it is world spread.  it is only weird to those who do not believe in a god.

Again you are stating the obvious. Of course a self-centered god fearing nit-wit would not think he his weird and of course, everybody else (who is not a God-fearing nit-wit) would think he is weird.

Apart from that you made the usual ad populum fallacy. Just because believing in God is world spread, it doesn't make it acceptable or somehow all right. Robbery and murder are world spread but that hardly mitigates the crime or somehow make it acceptable, does it?

In other words, deluded nit-wits are world spread.

And in case you didn't get it before, being a scientist or intelligent person does not mean that such a person is not a deluded nitwit. Being idi-otic, nit-witted and deluded is a condition that crosses all boundaries.

Clearly, only a nitwit would call someone a nitwit.
    Blastcat
  • maxxmaxx 768 Pts   -   edited October 14
    look,  something that is common place can not be weird.  religion is common.  many who do not believe in god do not think that those who do are weird; yes many do but not all. . if something is common place it can not be classified by weird except by some individuals.  @Sonofason
    @maxx
    look,  something that is common place can not be weird. 

Why not?

Not according to the definition which clearly states that the conditions for being weird are "something supernatural; unearthly". It mentions nothing about non-commonality as being a condition and I think you made up that definition to fit in with what you think is weird. Doesn't count in the real or even slang world I'm afraid.

Geeziz, you're being weird.

• maxxmaxx 768 Pts   -  
    again, that defintion is almost out of usage. weird today, is but a descriptive word. out of place, different, odd and so on. if i believe in ghost imay be misinformed; in god, i may be misinformed. it is not weird to believe in something that so many people believe in. once people believed the world was flat; were they weird? weird today means odd, creepy or different than others. you can only use it against god believers from your point of view, not collectivly.@Swolliw
    Blastcat
  • BlastcatBlastcat 261 Pts   -   edited October 14
    maxx said:
    again, that defintion is almost out of usage. weird today, is but a descriptive word. out of place, different, odd and so on. if i believe in ghost imay be misinformed; in god, i may be misinformed. it is not weird to believe in something that so many people believe in. once people believed the world was flat; were they weird? weird today means odd, creepy or different than others. you can only use it against god believers from your point of view, not collectivly.@Swolliw

I agree, and here are my main two reasons:

1. Some people use words "weirdly", such as people with mental disorders and when they are disabled by some substance or circumstance.

2. I use the word weird to denote what I consider strange.. not normal.. so even if I think that an idea is very weird, i never mean by that to indicate that it's true or false.

Just that I am being surprised by a novel idea.

Therefore, in an honest debate, it's always important to define our terms in such a way that our opponent can agree with. Otherwise, we wont be debating about the same thing, which would be hugely wasteful of our precious time.

Dee
  • SonofasonSonofason 367 Pts   -  
    maxx said:
    look,  something that is common place can not be weird.  religion is common.  many who do not believe in god do not think that those who do are weird; yes many do but not all. . if something is common place it can not be classified by weird except by some individuals.  @Sonofason
    If you will go back and examine what I've said, you will see that I have never claimed that religion is weird.  Religion is a fabrication of human beings.  Religion is not supernatural, and therefore ought never be considered weird.
    Blastcat
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1209 Pts   -   edited October 15
    @maxx
    again, that defintion is almost out of usage. 

But it isn't out of usage, is it? And that is the definition that was used for the purposes of this thread.

Making up excuses to properly debate a set topic head-on is well and truly out of usage. Time to get a bit more up to date, don't you think?

• maxxmaxx 768 Pts   -  
    the word weird is an adjetive, not a noun. it describes the way we think of someone. if you wish to return to the original meaning of one word then why not all;  i do believe that wouild make you the weird one in doing so.@Swolliw
    @maxx
    if you wish to return to the original meaning of one word then why not all

Because I'm not weird, that's why.

Geeziz, that was a gimme if ever there was.

• maxxmaxx 768 Pts   -  
    so are you not the gay one.   original meaning of course@Swolliw
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1209 Pts   -   edited October 16
    @maxx
    so are you not the gay one.   original meaning of course@Swolliw

Oh, so now it meant being gay did it?

Yeah I'm gay...I'm gay most of the time actually and there is nothing like getting together with my gay friends to have a gay time. In fact, most of my family is gay also and I love having a gay time with my Dad, bothers, and uncle together, my Mum always cleans up the mess afterwards.

Is that enough to keep you going or is it too much information, or just being weird?

• maxxmaxx 768 Pts   -  
    mess?  that originally meant a portion of food@Swolliw
    Swolliw