To knowingly allow a child become obese through eating is child abuse - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

To knowingly allow a child become obese through eating is child abuse

Debate Information

If your child is obese your responsible if you don’t take steps to rectify it you’re guilty of child abuse and poor parenting , unless you wish to blame other people for your kids health 

Seems some individuals get very upset at my pointing out the promotion and celebrating of morbid obesity is wrong on so many levels and as usual totally miss the point by claiming “ being mean to fat people is not fair “ etc , etc …..this is totally ignoring the point of the topic I’m not being mean if you want to stuff yourself to death your choice , the point is stop willfully supporting morbid obesity as something it’s not 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• TreeManTreeMan 329 Pts   -  
    Controlling a child’s eating is necessary if you want a healthy child. @Dee
    DeeZeusAres42
  • @Dee

It's not the eating, it's the fack Big Mac's chicken nuggets don't move like a chicken with its head cut off.
  • Argument Topic: FYI

How many medications have side effects including weight gain?
  • CrystalSky101CrystalSky101 103 Pts   -  
    I agree, its not healthy and I shouldn't be forced to praise someone for being overweight.@Dee
  • piloteerpiloteer 1512 Pts   -  
    Dee said:
    If your child is obese your responsible if you don’t take steps to rectify it you’re guilty of child abuse and poor parenting , unless you wish to blame other people for your kids health 

Seems some individuals get very upset at my pointing out the promotion and celebrating of morbid obesity is wrong on so many levels and as usual totally miss the point by claiming “ being mean to fat people is not fair “ etc , etc …..this is totally ignoring the point of the topic I’m not being mean if you want to stuff yourself to death your choice , the point is stop willfully supporting morbid obesity as something it’s not 

@Dee

I don't get the feeling any of these children are being forced to eat more, and I don't ever see or hear too many of them complaining about being able to eat. You've said it yourself, it's their choice, but that also means the children. I get the feeling many people have opinions on how others should raise their children, and some of those people may point the finger at any parenting techniques that doesn't align with their own and call it abuse.

It doesn't hurt anybody if children choose to overeat but the children themselves, and those among us who find themselves disgusted by people should probably just be the ones forced out of the forefront of social circles, not the fat kids. If all of the rest of the living world had to worry themselves with not being disgusting to every misanthrope out there, we'd all quickly realize nobody is free of scorn, so then, we'd dually realize that those who are disgusted by humans, or certain groupings of them, they are actually the problem with society, not the fat people. But fine, we get it, you judge people on their appearance.      
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4589 Pts   -  
    @piloteer

You are attacking a strawman here. Criticizing people's inability to be in shape and eat healthily does not imply disgust by their shape and unhealthiness. I am cool with obese people and am as friendly towards them as towards anyone else who has never done anything horrible to me; however, I will not pretend that they do not have a serious problem, a problem that, in many cases, if very easy to fix.

When a child grows up, their dietary habits are heavily influenced by what their parents feed them; in fact, for many years children basically eat whatever their parents put on their plates, as they have no other choice. And if all a kid sees while growing up are cheeseburgers and salty fries, then it will be extremely hard for them to escape this conditioning - and even if they manage to do so in the future, the severe health damage has already been done, and its consequences will be felt throughout the entire person's life.

Now, I would not call this abuse; just irresponsibility. I do not know about other people, but I have a rule in my life: anyone who I see as a close person to me (best friend, romantic partner, child, etc.) are to be treated no less than I treat myself. I have very high standards for myself when it comes to nutrition and sports, and I will not feed those I love garbage. People who raise a child and do not bother even with the most basic dietary standards are bad parents and should be held accountable for their behavior, not through coercion, but social pressure.
    ZeusAres42
  • DeeDee 4708 Pts   -   edited February 8
    @piloteer

As usual (sadly) you fail to even attempt to understand what I asked much preferring to make a personal attack by stating ….

. But fine, we get it, you judge people on their appearance.      Also …. I get the feeling many people have opinions on how others
     should raise their children, and some of those people may point the finger at any parenting techniques that doesn't align with their own and call it abuse. 

Yes I have opinions on people abusing kids , if you think stuffing a kid to obesity is not abusive you really need help 

Yes I do have opinions on how kids should be raised , you don’t , wow! 

Here is what I actually said , why do you and others get so emotional when asked a simple question? 

To knowingly allow a child become obese through eating is child abuse

It seems you totally agree with a parent who decides to stuff a child to Ill health ……it seems that’s an American thing where obesity is glorified and seen as something laudable …..tragic 

People who work will employ a dog minder to ensure their dog is well excercised  and given proper food if their dog became obese they would be very upset but their kids , no big deal is it? 
  • BarnardotBarnardot 157 Pts   -  
    I bet it’s the medications that control diabetes and high cholesterol that make you put on weight. Think about it the government wants to nock off fat people early so they don’t cost so much @John_C_87
  • DeeDee 4708 Pts   -   edited February 9
    @piloteer

I don't get the feeling any of these children are being forced to eat more, and I don't ever see or hear too many of them complaining about being able to eat. 

Yes strange that kids not objecting to double chessburgers , French fries and sodas 

You've said it yourself, it's their choice, but that also means the children

Read above , which do you think kids would prefer a salad or fast food ?

. I get the feeling many people have opinions on how others should raise their children, and some of those people may point the finger at any parenting techniques that doesn't align with their own and call it abuse. 

Yes we had neighbours who used to  beat their kids badly I pointed my finger at them by reporting them to social services and let them know ,I did so , their kids have since being adopted into loving homes , people like you prefer to pretend nothing is going on best not rock the boat right ?

It doesn't hurt anybody if children choose to overeat but the children themselves

Yes , and you don’t mind that it seems? Let the children hurt themselves , good man

, and those among us who find themselves disgusted by people should probably just be the ones forced out of the forefront of social circles, not the fat kids. 

Ahh right got ya , ignore the fact that children are suffering appalling ill health through obesity and demonise the many who try and address the problem , great forward thinking solution there 

If all of the rest of the living world had to worry themselves with not being disgusting to every misanthrope out there, we'd all quickly realize nobody is free of scorn, so then, we'd dually realize that those who are disgusted by humans, or certain groupings of them, they are actually the problem with society, not the fat people. 

Stop making ridiculous emotional arguments , I’m not talking about being disgusted by such children I’m talking about showing them the respect and dignity they deserve by not abusing their bodies with junk , why do Americans glorify obesity and make attempt to make  it into something laudible , do you think these unfortunate children love looking like this ? 

Why are you trying to normalise it?

But fine, we get it, you judge people on their appearance.      

There you go again refusing to even address what I asked , I’m guessing this question has come to far to the bone for you , maybe that’s something you feel a tad guilty about right?

If your kids are obese you’re  a piss poor parent who is to and ignorant to address their problems so like you blame others on their kids being obese ….pathetic 

So yes carry on attacking people who dislike child abuse and continue your campaign of glorifying the joys of childhood obesity …..

Here is a photo of a typical lunch counter USA I guess with lard assed parents like the below we shouldn’t expect to much ….note the wheelchair bottom right to carry one of the lard asses back to work ……

NCBI …..

Childhood and adolescent obesity have reached epidemic levels in the United States. Currently, about 17% of US children are presenting with obesity. Obesity can affect all aspects of the children including their psychological as well as cardiovascular health; also, their overall physical health is affected. The association between obesity and other conditions makes it a public health concern for children and adolescents. Due to the increase in the prevalence of obesity among children, a variety of research studies have been conducted to discover what associations and risk factors increase the probability that a child will present with obesity. 

• MagnusCharlesMagnusCharles 57 Pts   -  
    I'm totally on board with @Dee, i get the child obesity problem firsthand because I, myself, have a cousin who is already, and is becoming increasingly more obese. Let me tell you guys, I honestly feel so bad for him because his parents have not taught him restraint so he is at the point of being a glutton. @piloteer, I want you to be completely and fully aware that this issue has nothing to do with parent stuffing food down their kids throats, this is purely the lack of restraint on the parents side upon the child's request. My cousin is always asking for food and there is hardly a time where snacks aren't being consumed, this problem is fully about the laziness of the parent that robs them of the motivation to say "NO". This issue is more crucial than we realize because although he is the youngest, his life expectancy is 20 years less than his' older brothers'. Parents need to step up and save their kids from the threat of overindulging.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4589 Pts   -  
    When I was a kid, my parents never forced me to eat healthy food, and, in principle, I could chew on chocolate cookies all day long if I wanted to. Furthermore, I always received some pocket money and was free to buy anything I wanted with them and eat/drink anything I wanted. There was no hard control whatsoever.

At the same time, my parents did a lot to create conditions under which I wanted to eat healthy food on my own accord. For example, there was the tradition of healthy snacking before sleep: I liked to read some books before going to sleep, and my mother was clever and always gave me a couple of apples to snack on while reading books. Over time, chewing on apples became a habit, and I still like apples as a snack far more than any of the unhealthy snacks available on the market. 
    In the fridge, there was always some kind of a salad, or rice-based food, or soup. When I was very hungry, I naturally gravitated towards eating that high volume food, as opposed to unhealthy snacks. 
    In the morning, when I came to the kitchen, a bowl full of oatmeal or some other healthy grains would be there. I was not forced to eat out of it and could chew on anything I wanted, but since it was already there, it was easier for me to just eat what was there, than to make something up on my own.

It is not very hard to create conditions in your household in which your children will naturally gravitate towards eating healthily. Parents who cannot even take the smallest steps towards that should step up their game, and their laziness should not be excused.