Why are you an Athiest - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why are you an Athiest

Debate Information

I can't understand why anyone is an Athiest.   How do you think that we (people) got here on the earth, and why do you think we are here.
BlastcatOakTownALuigi7255NotReally

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1663 Pts   -   edited November 14
    I am an atheist because there is no evidence to suggest the existence of a God. It also necessitates numerous logical contradictions that remain unresolved: e.g. how can a god have both omnipotence and omniscience?
    LiamThePersonZeusAres42OakTownA
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -   edited November 14
    You claim to believe in a god I reject the claim there is a god because I've seen zero evidence to support the claim, no one has come close to proving a god and the burden  of proof lies squarely on those who say there is a god until till you can do that I remain unconvinced 

You seem to want an explanation as to how it all started the intellectually honest answer is I don't know , believers claim they do but have zero proof for their claims 

LiamThePersonxlJ_dolphin_473ZeusAres42SkepticalOneOakTownAdallased25NotReally
  • JoeKerrJoeKerr 202 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Why?

One of the reasons I'm an atheist is the reason you would give for how we all got here.
    I don't do crazy.@pamelajohnson1
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4152 Pts   -  
    Very strange argument. If I do not know with 100% certainty how humans originally got here to Earth, I am supposed to assume that some sky wizard has created them?

For that matter, we do know how humans got here, starting from around 500 million years ago. What happened until then is more disputable, but, again, nothing suggests that any gods were in any way involved in all of this. Science as it is today is certainly a far better source of coherent theories than religion as it has ever been.
    LiamThePersonSkepticalOneOakTownANotReally
  • BlastcatBlastcat 362 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Pam presents the fallacious argument from personal incredulity and an argument from ignorance.

I can't understand why anyone is an Athiest.   How do you think that we (people) got here on the earth, and why do you think we are here.
    1. Pam admits not understanding.
    2. Then, adds a rhetorical question that is supposed to stump us into believing in a creator type god that she obviously believes is real.

3. Therefore, her misunderstanding is not a defeater to atheism, and is irrelevant if she is trying to stump us into believing what she does. Her two questions do not prove that her god exists, either. Even if we do not know something about how the universe works. ( we know a lot but we just don't know everything ), it does nothing to refute atheism like she might think that it does. In other words, she presents an argument from personal incredulity, and an argument from ignorance without adding a conclusion. I suspect that her conclusion might be something like "therefore, God" but that's just a guess.

OakTownA
  • I can only give reasons for the beliefs that I possess; not the beliefs I don't.
    LiamThePerson

• pamelajohnson1pamelajohnson1 43 Pts   -  
    I can only give reasons for the beliefs that I possess; not the beliefs I don't.
    okay, do that.
    OakTownA
    Blastcat said:
    1. Pam admits not understanding.
    2. Then, adds a rhetorical question that is supposed to stump us into believing in a creator type god that she obviously believes is real.

3. Therefore, her misunderstanding is not a defeater to atheism, and is irrelevant if she is trying to stump us into believing what she does. Her two questions do not prove that her god exists, either. Even if we do not know something about how the universe works. ( we know a lot but we just don't know everything ), it does nothing to refute atheism like she might think that it does. In other words, she presents an argument from personal incredulity, and an argument from ignorance without adding a conclusion. I suspect that her conclusion might be something like "therefore, God" but that's just a guess.

You don't believe that there is a God, but do you believe that there is a devil?
    OakTownA
    MayCaesar said:
    Very strange argument. If I do not know with 100% certainty how humans originally got here to Earth, I am supposed to assume that some sky wizard has created them?

For that matter, we do know how humans got here, starting from around 500 million years ago. What happened until then is more disputable, but, again, nothing suggests that any gods were in any way involved in all of this. Science as it is today is certainly a far better source of coherent theories than religion as it has ever been.
    Did you know that the human being is made up of three parts.  Body, soul and spirit. 
    OakTownAdallased25
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1663 Pts   -  
    @pamelajohnson1
    How would you define a soul, and what proof do you have that it exists?
    OakTownA
    JoeKerr said:
    One of the reasons I'm an atheist is the reason you would give for how we all got here.
    I don't do crazy.@pamelajohnson1
    Women have babies. So that mean there had to be a beginning.  So how do you believe we got here.
    OakTownA
    @pamelajohnson1
    The soul is the mind. Where our emotions come from. It is where all of our thinking comes from.
  • LiamThePersonLiamThePerson 701 Pts   -  
    I'm not entirely atheist, but I fit into the group that you may categorize as atheists. To answer your first question, humans evolved through natural selection from previous hominids. For your second question, I don't believe there is a reason why we're here. 
    OakTownA
    @pamelajohnson1
    The soul is the mind. Where our emotions come from. It is where all of our thinking comes from.
    Would your conception of a soul be disproven if it were shown that the brain (which is part of the body) does all the thinking without the necessity of the soul?
    OakTownA
  • Pamelajohnson1 said: I can't understand why anyone is an Athiest. How do you think that we (people) got here on the earth, and why do you think we are here.

Without an objective answer, this question does nothing to support or take away from not believing in a god. @pamelajohnson1

OakTownA
    I want to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible.
    pamelajohnson1 said:

Did you know that the human being is made up of three parts.  Body, soul and spirit. 
    You can, I suppose, describe the structure of a human being in this way. I fail to see what it has to do with being or not being an atheist though. There are many atheists who, at the same time, are big on spiritualism.
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    @pamelajohnson1 ;

Women have babies. 

Women have babies yes 

So that mean there had to be a beginning.  

Yes 

So how do you believe we got here.

The end result of a tempestuous love making session ,I presume ? 

So that mean there had to be a beginning.  

Yes we all know how babies come about , so stop introducing acts explainable by natural causes and deflecting and prove your god claim if you cannot you’re only preaching

Also I like others have answered your questions , you asked me your questions at least have the courtesy to address them instead of ignoring , why did you ignore ?
    OakTownA
  • I can only give reasons for the beliefs that I possess; not the beliefs I don't.
    okay, do that.

Ok, I believe the sun will rise tomorrow morning. One of my reasons for believing that is because it's happened all my life so far.

• PraiseTheLordPraiseTheLord 46 Pts   -  
    @ZeusAres42 and tell me: why do you think it will come up? GOD?

• I believe it to come up based on an extremely high probability. I have absolutely no reason to believe it will come up because of God.
    LiamThePersonOakTownA

@ZeusAres42 Prove it wasnt because of god
    LiamThePersonZeusAres42xlJ_dolphin_473OakTownA
    @PraiseTheLord It's not possible to prove a negative. The burden of proof is on you to prove that a deity does cause the sun to rise. 
    ZeusAres42xlJ_dolphin_473OakTownA
    Argument Topic: not a pagan

@LiamThePerson what is this 'diety'?? I'm not a pagan and i dont believe in dietys. I believe in jesus christ
    OakTownA
  • @ZeusAres42 Prove it wasnt because of god

I never said it wasn't because of God. I said I have no reason to believe it was because of God. If you believe it was because of God then it is up to you to explain why and how.

What I did say is I have absolutely every reason to believe it will come up based on that it has done so every day of my life so far and many generations before me.
    SkepticalOneLiamThePersonOakTownA

Argument Topic: Definitions of a few simple words

@PraiseTheLord A deity is any god or goddess. For example, Allah, Vishnu, and your Jesus Christ fit into that category. By saying that you don't "believe in dietys," you've claimed you're a nontheist. Welcome to the club!
    ZeusAres42SkepticalOneOakTownA
    @PraiseTheLord A deity is any god or goddess. For example, Allah, Vishnu, and your Jesus Christ fit into that category. By saying that you don't "believe in dietys," you've claimed you're a nontheist. Welcome to the club!
    Yes God is a deity.  The one and only.  The others are demons. Do you believe that there are demons?
    OakTownA
    @pamelajohnson1 I do not believe in demons unless we're speaking of demons in a metaphorical sense.
    First you have to prove that it was not because of the Great Black Dragon, of the Troll King, of Godzilla, or of Valhalla. Once that is done, we will tackle your challenge, friend!
    ZeusAres42OakTownA
    MayCaesar said:
    First you have to prove that it was not because of the Great Black Dragon, of the Troll King, of Godzilla, or of Valhalla. Once that is done, we will tackle your challenge, friend!
    It had to be an intelligent being to construct life, and put breath into flesh, bones, and blood.  The devil is the one who rules this world. He has twisted things so that people will not come to the knowledge of a living God.  Our creator.  He created good and he created evil. He also created the devil. 
    OakTownA
    @pamelajohnson1 Do you have any sort of proof for any of those claims? 
    OakTownA
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1297 Pts   -  
    @pamelajohnson1
    If you can’t (or more likely, won’t) understand, it is because you are profoundly ignorant and arrogant. 
    There is a wealth of information freely available which will adequately explain what you obviously don’t (or most likely refuse to) want to know. If you were to properly educate yourself you would not be pondering such an absurd question that is an insult to any thinking person’s intelligence.

@LiamThePerson Scientifically?  No.  God is a spiritual being. You have to have faith.
    ZeusAres42OakTownA
    @pamelajohnson1 I do not believe in demons unless we're speaking of demons in a metaphorical sense.
    Demons are very real.  They are fallen angels. If you don't believe there are demons then you don't believe there is a devil.
    OakTownA
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    OakTownA
    If you think that I can give you something that you can see, that is not going to happen.  You that say you are Atheist cannot prove that a living God does not exist.  I think that people would rather not believe in God so that they do not have believe that they could go to hell. When this flesh body dies, you don't die.  Your soul still lives. That part of you that causes you to be, does not die. @Dee
    OakTownA
    @xlJ_dolphin_473 Whatever questions that you have problem understanding about God, ask me.  I'm not the typical Church goer.  I don't go to Church.  That is not the body of Christ.  It's a religious spirit. Those people can only stay on the surface. It is the Christianity of the world. 
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1297 Pts   -  
    @pamelajohnson1
     I think that people would rather not believe in God so that they do not have believe that they could go to hell. 

What you think here is illogical and a totally invalid, self-defeating argument. One belief that leads to another (or made out to be) does not have to be contingent on the other.

As it happens, people who do not believe in God could not give a toss about Hell and know very well that Hell is no more than a morbid, evil enticement by religious authorities to lure those of a weak, impressionable nature through guilt and fear. There is no such thing as Hell.

@Swolliw Hell is very real.  The devil and demons are very real.  they are all spiritual beings, so you can't see them.  Why do you think there are addicts, sickness, hate etc.  These thing are caused by demons.  They hate humans, because humans will inherit the earth. The devil has been here and has studied humans, so he has learned to hide evil so that people will think that it doesn't exist.  He has succeeded, but it is very real.
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    @pamelajohnson1

If you think that I can give you something that you can see, that is not going to happen.  

What a pile of babble , if I could see god I wouldn’t be asking you for proof would I?

You that say you are Atheist cannot prove that a living God does not exist. 

I have made no claims regards a god try and keep up , you said there is a god I reject that claim the burden is onyou

As I explained you’re trying to shift the burden of proof 

I think that people would rather not believe in God so that they do not have believe that they could go to hell.

I think that people would rather not believe in Zeus so that they do not have believe that they could go to Hades

When this flesh body dies, you don't die.

Which is why you and other believers wail and whine when your nearest and dearest die , why not have a huge party if you believed this steaming pile of Bull s-hit?

Your soul still lives. 

Whats a soul? How much does it weigh? 

That part of you that causes you to be, does not die.

Prove it ?
    OakTownA
    @DeeYou want to see a statue.  They can't do anything.  I don't know what else to tell you because we can't get over the part where God is a spirit.  Jesus is God, in the flesh. Jesus was here on the earth, so that we would see God in the flesh.  You can't say that Jesus was not here.  Even if you don't believe that he was God in the flesh, You know that he was here. He came to show us the Character of God the one who sent him. 
    OakTownA
  • @pamelajohnson1

LiamThePerson Scientifically?  No.  God is a spiritual being. You have to have faith

How do you know? More importantly, how can you demonstrate this to others?

There is nothing (not one thing) which cannot be believed by faith alone. If we have nothing but faith and cannot demonstrate our beliefs to others, how do we know we're not believing for no good reason?

OakTownA
  • @pamelajohnson1

Demons are very real.  They are fallen angels. If you don't believe there are demons then you don't believe there is a devil

I can't speak for Liam, but I don't believe in gods, angels, fallen angels, or devils. Why do you?

OakTownA
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    @pamelajohnson1

want to see a statue.

Why would I want to see a statue? Are you on drugs as you’re making no sense at all?

They can't do anything.  

Statues cannot do anything got ya …..just when I think you cannot say anything more ridiculous than your previous post you you say something even more ridiculous 

I don't know what else to tell you because we can't get over the part where God is a spirit.  

Right so Zeus is a god so therefore a spirit using that “logic” 

Jesus is God, in the flesh. Jesus was here on the earth, so that we would see God in the flesh

Nonsense , prove it 

You can't say that Jesus was not here.  

I believe there was a man called Jesus but he was just a man a lay about  wandering rabbi 

Even if you don't believe that he was God in the flesh,

Nonsense , prove it

You know that he was here. 

Jesus was probably here yes a man who was like any other man except he was most likely insane , his family thought he was mad according to the bible

He came to show us the Character of God the one who sent him. 

The “character “ a celestial bully who watched the Jews being gassed to death and watches children being abused and does 
    f-uck all 
    OakTownA
    @LiamThePerson Scientifically?  No.  God is a spiritual being. You have to have faith.
    It sounds like what you are really saying is that “god” is an imaginary being and does not exist as a part of reality, which makes believing in it unreasonable.

As far as faith goes, why do you have faith in “god” in particular, but not in any of the billions of other things humans have come up with? Why do you not have faith in existence of Zeus, for instance? Or of Sauron? Or of the Old Gods from the Warcraft universe? 
    That is the problem with faith: it is completely uncoupled from reality. People just believe in whatever pleases them. Interestingly enough, they do not do it in most areas of their life: when you want to make a decent meal, you follow a reality-tested algorithm; you do not pray or something and hope to magically acquire a prepared meal. It is only with things that do not manifest themselves directly in one’s everyday life that they get to have the luxury of making stuff up.
    SkepticalOnedallased25OakTownA
  • dallased25dallased25 67 Pts   -  
    Short version of the story, I grew up a Christian, I read the bible finally when I was in my early 20's, was shocked at how utterly immoral and flawed it was. Left the church and was agnostic for a while and after years of learning and search for answers, found that there was simply no good reason to believe in any god. To answer the question from the author though, I got here by my parents having sex, that's not in question. But if you mean how humans came about, well that's not even really a question anymore either, we are a product of a long line of primates that evolved to this state. Now I don't believe we have any inherent purpose in the universe besides continuing our race and passing along our genes. I know your question will ultimately end up at "how'd everything get here and why is it here". I think it's all natural and that the universe operates just fine without any need to invoke a super natural being that is logically inconsistent and in which there's no evidence to support. Every shred of evidence science has points to a natural order, not super. Even if science doesn't have all the answers, at least it admits that and keeps trying to find the answers, instead of just assuming it already has all of the answers already (religions). 
    OakTownA
  • JoeKerrJoeKerr 202 Pts   -  
    Reading all the total cr-ap about spirits demons and the devil the religious zealots are posting here really demonstrates how true the saying is that to discredit what they say you only have to quote them accurately.
  • Luigi7255Luigi7255 440 Pts   -   edited November 16
    Remember, the burden of proof is on the affirmative, not the ones rejecting the claim. I don't believe there is a god, but even if there is, there is no way to know. Like dallased25, I was partially raised to be a Christian (although I never went to church), and I saw the Bible at a dentist's office (note this was my first time reading it), I looked inside, and it seemed to be absolutely preposterous to me. I knew there were reasons for things happening, but it seemed like a science fiction story to me.
    OakTownA
    "I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."
  • @pamelajohnson1 Do you have any sort of proof for any of those claims? 

An appeal to faith or spirituality to try and prove something is an abandonment of reason. The realm of reason has now been departed from you. This is like believing in things based on just a hunch.
    OakTownA

It had to be an intelligent being to construct life, and put breath into flesh, bones, and blood.  The devil is the one who rules this world. He has twisted things so that people will not come to the knowledge of a living God.  Our creator.  He created good and he created evil. He also created the devil. 
    Why would it "have to be an intelligent being"? After all, we as limited, flawed humans can think of better designs for the human body, or even our planet. After all, our bodies are so terribly flawed that thousands die every year from choking because we share the same eating and breathing tube. Thousands more die from infections because our reproductive and waste organs share the same space. Even more die because our own cells sometimes go rogue and end up attacking our own organs (cancer). There's no reason to invoke a creator, devil or any magical beings. It's funny though that you believe that the devil has more power in this world than the god who created it. 
    OakTownA
    @DeeYou want to see a statue.  They can't do anything.  I don't know what else to tell you because we can't get over the part where God is a spirit.  Jesus is God, in the flesh. Jesus was here on the earth, so that we would see God in the flesh.  You can't say that Jesus was not here.  Even if you don't believe that he was God in the flesh, You know that he was here. He came to show us the Character of God the one who sent him. 
    Jesus is a character in a book. It's likely there was a man who inspired those stories, but actually we can say that "Jesus was not here", because there's simply no evidence that what was written about him actually happened! There's actually evidence that things written about him did not happen. For example, the event of his death would have been reported upon by many historians living in the area, not because of him, but because of what happened at the time of his death. The bible reports that the earth shook and the graves opened up with the Saints coming back to life and wandering into the city for many to see. You'd think the walking dead would be worth at least one mention by a Roman, Jewish, Greek or any other type of historian living in the area. But nope...not a one. Philo of Alexandria for example, a Jewish historian, lived his entire adult life during Jesus's supposed time on this earth, and lived 25 years after his supposed death, reported in all the areas Jesus was supposed to have been...yet didn't report a single thing that could even be remotely linked to Jesus. Not even anything about a rabbi with a following, or a riot during passover, or yes...the walking dead and it is confirmed by his writings that he was living in Jerusalem at the time of the crucifiction. Since the bible states that the Saints went into the city, he should have reported on this. The very first mention of Jesus historically is in Matthew, which wasn't even written until 70AD minimum and the first non-biblical historical reference isn't until 93AD. Just to remind you, it's believed Jesus died around 30-33AD. So it took followers 40 years to record anything about him and the first actual historian to mention him, 60 years and it was but a footnote. So yes, there is a strong case to make that Jesus did not exist, because nothing about his life can be confirmed...nothing. At best, you can say it's believed a man existed that inspired these stories. 
    OakTownA