frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Was Joseph K guilty in the book "the trial" by Franz Kafka?

Debate Information

Anybody is welcome to involve themselves in this discussion, but I would highly suggest you read the book so you have an understanding of the concepts involved. Kafkas' books were surrealist literature. They are not written in a typical form, or even have any apparent conclusion. His writing has been described as absurdism and even nightmarish (although I believe his dark sense of humor is lost on most readers, it is still very present, and very funny when you realize it). His books are sometimes considered confusing and inaccessible, but it is often pointed out that you will only come to those conclusions of his works if you are expecting any traditional story with a meaningful message and conclusion. Kafka wrote books that must be thought about in depth to come to any meaningful conclusion, and that conclusion is often an interpretative conclusion. 

Kafkas' books were written in the early 1900s up to the mid 1920s. Many people consider Kafka to be the first of the "cinematic" writers and all cinematic writers use his style as a template. Kafkas' style of writing is called 'Kafkaesque', but most people now consider that term to be excruciatingly clique and Kafkas presence in modern cinematic writing is highly overexaggerated. George Orwell (1984/animal farm) was known to have been greatly inspired by Kafka, and he would agree with the argument I will possible be making here (if anyone decides to actually be involved here).             

The trial is the story of a law abiding man named Joseph K. who is woken one day by court officials he's never met, from a court he never heard of, (it's never actually revealed what kind of court it truly is and what motives it has, but it's not any kind of customary legal court, and the charges are never actually revealed) and he's been charged with "crimes" that he is never told what they are. Joseph spends the entire rest of the book trying to prove his innocence, only to be found guilty and killed for these crimes that he was never actually told were. 

In spite of the harsh and seemingly inhumane circumstances that this mysterious court has bestowed on Joseph K, I propose he was indeed guilty of the crimes the court charged him with. I will use circumstances from the book to make my case. I encourage everybody to read "the trial", and any or all of Franz Kafkas' works and find out why he's now an indisputable literary Icon!!!       

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments