frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Guns and Cognitive Dissonance in America

Debate Information

It’s maybe not remarkable that Americans cite as number one reason for gun ownership as being for personal protection in fairness if one feels unsafe in society then wouldn’t it be “natural “ to tool up?

But of course when one asks “so you feel the need to own a gun for personal protection?” One is then screamed down “ how dare you I feel perfectly safe and I choose to have a gun “ 

Every supporter of guns I have come across has gone the same route when arguing about guns as in “we need them for protection “ / “we live in a very peaceful society” 

The next argument they always make is “well I keep a gun for home protection just in case” I point out that over here we have very effective house alarms , also criminals with guns are not known as far as I know for targeting households they know nothing about , like come on , they target a completely random house at gunpoint to get a few mobile phones , loose change and a tv or two? 

Criminals carry guns illegally here and target other gangs in turf wars mostly , I don’t know any who target ordinary home owners for loose change and a few mobile phones etc, etc 

There’s a term for what most  American gun owners who cite protection as the reason 

Cognitive Dissonance 

When two actions or ideas are not psychologically consistent with each other, people do all in their power to change them until they become consistent. The discomfort is triggered by the person's belief clashing with new information perceived, wherein the individual tries to find a way to resolve the contradiction to reduce their discomfort.

Top reason for gun ownership in the US 

Personal protection tops the list of reasons why gun owners say they own a firearm. In a Gallup survey conducted in August 2019, gun owners were most likely to cite personal safety or protection as the reason they own a firearm. Roughly six-in-ten (63%) said this in an open-ended question. Considerably smaller shares gave other reasons, including hunting (40%), nonspecific recreation or sport (11%), that their gun was an antique or a family heirloom (6%) or that the gun was related to their line of work (5%).

Another question several on here have refused to answer every time guns come up ….

A modern society in my opinion should be progressive and inclusive I think most agree , If as I’m told by Americans that we are being denied freedoms by having gun bans in European societies how would introducing guns for citizens be progressive and inclusive ?

How would it not be regressive and divisive?

?

Blastcat

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments