frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Islam compatible with modern day science? Like the theory of evolution.

Debate Information

statesjoderon_17spandammeleftherepnorthsouthkoream_abusteitWoodenWoodSilverishGoldNova
  1. Live Poll

Is islam compatible with evolution?

22 votes
    1. Yes.
      40.91%
    2. No.
      59.09%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• statesjoderon_17statesjoderon_17 21 Pts   -  
    No, they are caught in the past with their radical Islamic beliefs. That capfuls also be a reason some terrorist groups form. Although, it's seems like they are well aware of modern weapons.
    spandamm_abusteit
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @statesjoderon_17 Islam doesn't have radical beliefs.  
    https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/280633-if-you-re-not-careful-the-newspapers-will-have-you-hating   It's just as this man said, huh?
    The word 'Islam'  Derives from the Arabic word 'Salam'  Salam means peace.  Just because 0.01% of islam, Kill innocent people [Which is forbidden ]   https://www.juancole.com/2013/04/islamic-forbids-terrorism.html
    So how are they a part of islam?
    spandamm_abusteitWoodenWood
  • spandamspandam 43 Pts   -  
    I agree with @logic , Islam doesn't have radical beliefs.
    melanielustm_abusteitWoodenWoodErfisflat
  • AveMariaAveMaria 36 Pts   -  
    I am no expert on Islam, but from what I can tell, there are some Islamic theories supporting the idea that God (Allah, in this case) created evolution.  So yes, I will assume that Islam is compatible with evolution.  I hold my religion (Catholicism) to be true and I agree with the ideas of the Big Bang and evolution, and Christianity and Islam do have similar roots, so perhaps Islam is compatible with evolution like I believe Christianity is.  However, I do know for a fact that Islam's current state is not compatible with Western civilization.  Islam needs a reformation before it tears itself and all associated with it apart.
    aarong
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @AveMaria  Many people have misunderstood sharia law with the hanbali madhab.  There is a big difference.  The muslims who want to establish sharia law in the west are 99% Hanbali, While those who don't are Hanafi [like me]  Sharia law [Hanafi style]  is compatible.The people need a reformation no the religion. But since america already has a set of laws, there is no use for new ones. 
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    No religion concerning a "Higher Power" is compatible with Science.  Science is the study of the physical and natural world and the "Higher Power" in religion is not only excluded from the physical and natural world but is not subject to it.  The term "Supernatural" is the proper classification for this "Higher power" and supernatural by definition excludes scientific explanation and understanding.

Religion in theory could explain the physical and natural world but Science cannot be used to study the supernatural and is therefor incompatible.
    melefm_abusteitSilverishGoldNovaBaconToesPogue
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• melefmelef 69 Pts   -  
    @vaulk, religion tells us how the universe was made. Scintists are trying to find another explanation which is not there. Government and science should be based of religion.
    uzairmahmudm_abusteitSilverishGoldNovaBaconToesPogue
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @melef

I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    randalBaconToes
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

• randalrandal 67 Pts   -  
    I agree with @Vaulk .
    BaconToes
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk  Science can tell us HOW the universe was created, But it will never tell us WHY.  Do you believe in a multiverse? 
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @Logic,

I know that science can speculate as to "How" the universe was created.  But it cannot give any explanation that will defeat reasonable doubt.  There was another debate on this but essentially the cliff notes are:

1. The Scientific Method cannot be applied to the Theory of how the Universe came to be because you cannot observe, test or experiment to replicate the instance.
    2. The theories surrounding the origins of the universe are some of the most consistently changing scientific theories to date...from one year to the next there's no telling what the official story might be.

I don't happen to believe in the existence of a multiverse but I don't doubt the validity of the theory itself.  What we do actually know to be fact in Science is relatively puny, and dwarfed by what we do not know.  Even our Scientific Laws lack solidity and are subject to change.
    LogicErfisflatBaconToes

• LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    You see, Science has failed time and again. Believing a god, No matter which one it may be, Doesn't really hurt.  It actually crawls back to a win:win situation .
    Let's say God exists and you believe in a religion:
    You get heaven +
    Now let's God doesn't exist and you believe in a religion:
    You probably won't be aware to even care. +
    Let's say God does exist and you don't believe in a religion:
    Hell -
    Let's say God doesn't exist and you don't believe in a religion:
    You still won't be aware to care. +
    Even Richard Dawkins himself said it, We might see a signature of some sort in our DNA from a higher intelligence. 
    Pogue
  • noblemonkeynoblemonkey 8 Pts   -  
    It definetly does not. Evolution states that humans come from a long time of evolution from primates. Contrast this with humans being created out of dirt and rib bones then being sent to earth for eating an apple.
    therepm_abusteit
  • thereptherep 61 Pts   -  
    I agree with @noblemonkey .
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @noblemonkey, The theory of "Man from Monkeys" was put to rest a while back.  Primates have 24 pairs of chromosomes, Humans have 23 pairs.  There is no living thing in the world that can lose a pair of Chromosomes and still reproduce.  Scientists acknowledge that they "Simply don't know" how this could happen.

Additionally, there are no transitional fossils of Primates to Human Beings nor has there ever been any.  The closest thing we ever had to "The missing link" was the Piltdown man, which for over 40 years was accepted as a member of the Human family until it was discovered that it was a total fraud and hoax.  Darwinian Evolution was accepted by the Scientific community largely due to the discovery of the Piltdown Man but for some reason after we realized it was a fake...Darwin's theories still remained largely accepted.
    LogicnorthsouthkoreaImbsterErfisflat

• LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @noblemonkeYou didn't check either links did you?  You do realize muslims have no problem with the evolution concept, But instead with some parts of darwinian evolution.  Also, The qur'an has hinted beings BEFORE adam.  i.e the ancestor [If evolution is right] That we came from. Adam and Eve are the metaphorical parents of the 'beings' that were on earth before them. Adam and Eve were 'special' They were created different from the beings we evolved from.  
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk Wow, I didn't know that at all... Nice find i guess.
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    Amazing find @Vaulk . That also proves that god is real as well.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @northsouthkorea, the information I provided doesn't necessarily prove the existence of "God" but goes to show that "Intelligent design" had a major role in the creation of life on Earth.

• m_abusteitm_abusteit 101 Pts   -   edited June 2017
    @Vaulk

Thats because a pair of chromosomes fused due to a mutation.

http://biologos.org/blogs/archive/denisovans-humans-and-the-chromosome-2-fusion

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/07/3/l_073_47.html

"transitional fossils"

I dont think you know much about evolution.  "Nothing in biology makes sense, except in the light of evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky

Tiktaalik roseae proves amphibians evolved form fish 

archaepoteryx proves birds evolved from reptiles 

Ichthyosaurus fossils prove Cetaceans evolved from reptiles.

There are literally tons of fossils that prove primate to man evolution

AL 288-1
    AL 444-2
    TM 266 (Toumai)
    ardi
    DIK-1 (Selam)
    KNM-WT 40000 (Flat Faced Man)
    AL 444-2
    Taung 1
    BOU-VP-12/130
    STS 5 (Mrs. Ples)
    MH1 (Karabo)
    KNM ER 1813
    KNM ER 1470
    OH 5 
    D2700 (Dmanisi Skull 3)
    DNH 7 (Eurydice)
    Sangiran 17
    Bodo

Vestigial features like human tailbione, appendix and wisdom teeth prove that once primates became men they no longer needed those things. They evolved out of those features

pseudogenes are genes in the human dna that dont work anymore due to a mutation like w3nta which gives us tails,
    hHaa pseudogene, associated with fur-like body hair 

atavisms like the lizard snake or the ape human are pseudogenes that are reactivated due to a mutation and reveal our evolutionary past and what traits we used to have

http://www.darwinwasright.org/atavism.html - lizard snake

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/evolution/atavism1.htm   -  ape humans

http://trueorigins.us/atavisms-2/4581821436  - humans with tails

Homologies and bone structures tell us that morphological similarities between evolutionary clades  

https://www.britannica.com/science/homology-evolution

http://www.bio.miami.edu/dana/160/160S13_5.html

I have not even scratched the surface of biogeography, embroyology and comparative dna. You should probably educate yourself before coming here and talking.

Erfisflat
  • m_abusteitm_abusteit 101 Pts   -   edited June 2017
    @Logic

The kid's point is that evolution disagrees with the creation account of adam and eve in all abrahamic holy books.

Evolution states we evolved from primates on earth over millions of years, nothing close to being created mud and ribs in one day in heaven before primates. 

Your theory also fails because even if adam evolved from the creatures that existed before him that islam hints at  then that would contradict your holy book which says that adam or the first man did not evolve and was created from mud / clay.

“And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: ‘I am going to create a human (Adam) from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud.  So when I have fashioned him and breathed into him (his) soul created by Me, then you fall down prostrate to him.” (Quran 38:71-72)

Thats not the only reason why Islam contradicts science but islam says the earth is flat multiple times 

Qur'an 71:19, Qur'an 15:19,  Qur'an 2:22, Qur'an 88:20, Qur'an 18:47, Qur'an 20:105-107

also the uran says semen comes from backbone and ribs

Qur'an 86:7

Geocentrism 

Qur'an 31:29
    Qur'an 13:2
    Qur'an 91:1-2
    Qur'an 21:33
    Qur'an 55:5

Surah 27 verse 61

and it claims that the moon has its own light

The moon does not have its own light, its is made out of white rocks and it just reflects the moon's light. 

For those who are gonna say noor means reflected light, i am not white, i am arab, we all know that noor means light, stop because the trick wont work on me . The entire chapter 24 is called noor and it is called the chapter of light not the chapter of reflected light. Surah 24 verse 35 says allah is noor and it means that allah is the light of the heavens and the earth. By your refutation, the verse would read that "allah is the reflected light of the heavens and the earth"  which it does not and whioch would make no sense. 

Sura 71:15-16, states:

See ye not how Allah has created the seven heavens one above another,and made the moon a light (noor) in their midst,and made the sun as a lamp ?

• ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    @m_abusteit Logic hasn't been on since he realized the earth was flat.
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • m_abusteitm_abusteit 101 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat

I dont care about Logic, I just care about the people who will be reading this thread and think Logic had a good point that no one can refute and if Logic thinks the earth is flat, I dont think I even wanna hear his rebuttal.
    Erfisflat
  • ImbsterImbster 149 Pts   -   edited June 2017
    @Logic @Vaulk
    We both know inclusivism has no definitive scriptural proof aka other religions go to heaven too. How can you want to go to heaven when the only way is Jesus? Jesus is the way, He died on the cross but resurrected and gave us our salvation, He is the messiah. With that God already grants eternal life that whoever believes in him that way enters heaven. Do major sins matter or the "good deed count"? No, a child molesting priest may enter heaven as he pleases. 

It's not believing in a religion that sends you to heaven it's believing in Jesus and that is confirmed by bishops and bible scholars. SO I'll say it again for the 5th time, one unity of people believing Jesus as the way enters heaven. If I believed in many gods but I have shown good to my people inclusivism won't save me, I enter hell for idolatry in the eyes of the Abrahamic God for doing good is nothing to Him if I don't believe in his Only Son.

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washedyou were sanctifiedyou were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-11, NIV)

https://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/28794/do-people-who-commit-major-sins-after-accepting-jesus-go-to-heaven

John 3:15
    that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.

As long as I'm  really religious and with no matter what amount of sins perhaps a trillion but I never meant to offend God and I always repent and most importantly believe in Jesus I am a heaven man.

At least also, I'm going to see some good people in hell.

@Logic
    I understand you are muslim and do not intent to mock your ways of getting to heaven but I would like you to see what a doctrine's perspective is compared to other christians saying just be a good boy/girl. I'm also not showing doctrine because I haven't obtained such official papers. Because with that perspective anyone can conclude that only these people will go to heaven. 
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited August 2017
    I'm pretty sure there aren't any Quran verses saying we are monkeys that formed from a dissolving amino acid on a spinning ball 
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)